A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

William Wilberforce

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
shivfan
Aediles
shivfan

William Wilberforce Empty
PostSubject: William Wilberforce   William Wilberforce EmptySat 03 Mar 2012, 19:30

This campaigner is rightly credited with leading the charge to end the Slave Trade in 1807, but in Britain's he's wrongly credited with ending slavery itself, which didn't happen until 1833. Granville Sharp differed from Wilberforce in that Sharp insisted on nothing less than the abolition of slavery itself. However, Wilberforce was only really interested in ending the slave trade, and when that ended, so did Wilberforce's fervour....

After 1807, the pro-slavery lobby proposed a policy of Amelioration, which would mean that slave owners would start treating their slaves better, and this would eventually lead to slavery dying out. Surprisingly, Wilberforce bought this idea, because he was also wrongly convinced that once the slaves got their freedom, they would go about slaughtering all the white people in the various British Caribbean islands. He made his feelings clear from the very beginning, when he joined the anti-slavery movement in the mid-1780s, and In 1793 Cugoano upset William Wilberforce by describing him as a hypocrite when he refused to support the campaign to end slavery in the British Empire.

Eventually, events left an ageing Wilberforce behind, and the Act to abolish slavery itself was passed in 1833, following revolts around the Caribbean, including the Sam Sharpe revolt in Montego Bay in 1832, when slaves alleged that the king had granted them their freedom, and that the white slave owners were illegally holding them in servitude.

So, maybe when Britain commemorates the ending of slavery, they should really honour Granville Sharp.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cricket-match-special.com/
samozain
Quaestor
samozain

PostSubject: Re: William Wilberforce   William Wilberforce EmptyTue 10 Apr 2012, 23:08

thanks alot :)
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: William Wilberforce   William Wilberforce EmptyMon 24 Mar 2014, 06:43

Where is Shiv? I'd like to get his thoughts on this article, or anyone else for that matter. http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/caribbean-states-want-reparations-for-western-europe-slave-trade-a-960109.html

I don't understand how compensation would be feasible after all this time though.
Back to top Go down
shivfan
Aediles
shivfan

PostSubject: Re: William Wilberforce   William Wilberforce EmptyFri 23 Feb 2018, 14:42

Sorry, I've been away from a while.

While it might be true that you shouldn't get compensation for events that occurred a long time ago, there have been issues of compensation that still rankle.

For example, the French demanded compensation from Haiti, and took it from them by force, for loss of property as a result of them having the gall to emancipate themselves:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiti_indemnity_controversy

And then there is the compensation Holland demanded from Indonesia, which they've only just recently finished paying. 

And both of these European countries didn't feel ashamed enough to return the money. So, since reparations is the order of the day, why not?

When France pays back Haiti for the money they forced the Caribbean island to pay, then I will change my feelings on this issue...but I'm not holding my breath.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cricket-match-special.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: William Wilberforce   William Wilberforce Empty

Back to top Go down

William Wilberforce

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1