A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Carry Grant

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

Carry Grant Empty
PostSubject: Carry Grant   Carry Grant EmptyThu 15 Jun 2017, 22:30

Saw today a documentary about Cary Grant. It was my uncle's favourite in the Fifties-Sixties even better than Gregory Peck. As such these two were also my favourites, when I was young in the Fifties...But I was never aware of the "tortured" background of Cary until now...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cary_Grant
Tomorrow more comments, too late tonight...
With a lot more information...

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

Carry Grant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carry Grant   Carry Grant EmptyFri 16 Jun 2017, 22:21

I did some research to find the film in English that I have seen. But sadly it is all from distributors and you have to subscribe...one wants too much from youtube of dailymotion...
About the film:

And the in my eyes severe critique:
http://variety.com/2017/film/reviews/becoming-cary-grant-review-1202453931/

And Meles meles I found it on ARTE still for two days remaining, but only in French. I suppose I can find it in German for Nielsen too...
I have seen it in French on ARTE...
http://www.arte.tv/fr/videos/062908-000-A/cary-grant-de-l-autre-cote-du-miroir
That's it for this evening...

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

Carry Grant Empty
PostSubject: Cary Grant   Carry Grant EmptyWed 21 Jun 2017, 13:29

Grant was famously tight-lipped about his age, refusing to divulge it publicly and even threatening to sue any family, business partners or studio staff who might reveal it.

A few months before he died, and amid rumours that he mightn't be as "agile minded" as he once was, a rather cheeky media reporter decided he'd "scoop" the news that had eluded thousands of his predecessors over the decades. He opted to adopt a bold approach, probably thinking that in this way he'd catch Cary off his guard and thus sneakily get the information he wanted.

On Grant's birthday, and knowing that the aged movie star still old-fashionedly and courteously acknowledged all correspondence - even telegrams - he fired off a cable with the blunt question; "HAPPY BIRTHDAY. HOW OLD CARY GRANT?".

To which he received a prompt reply also by telegram; "THANKS. OLD CARY GRANT FINE. HOW YOU?".
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

Carry Grant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carry Grant   Carry Grant EmptyWed 21 Jun 2017, 13:45

Carry Grant Abc95c1f6d8fb4f208f70e0d9ffd7857
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

Carry Grant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carry Grant   Carry Grant EmptySun 25 Jun 2017, 21:58

Further about Cary Grant...

I see Meles meles that the film link from Arte is still available to watch, although the 7 days are long gone. I guess Nielsen the same is happening on the German Arte.

What I wanted to emphasize and I learned it from the film I was mentioning, in fact it seems to be an American film, was the Cary Grant behind the "public" Cary Grant...the troubled human, marked by all kind of phantoms, his youth, his mother, is relationship with the world...
From the wiki I mentioned, but it gives not the full dimension of what I saw in the film...if the film was right? if the film spoke about real events...if you have to believe the critique that I also mentioned...:
"Grant began experimenting with the drug LSD in the late 1950s,[299] before it became popular. His wife, Betsy Drake, displayed a keen interest in psychotherapy, and through her Grant developed a considerable knowledge of the field of psychoanalysis. Radiologist Mortimer Hartman began treating him with LSD in the late 1950s, with Grant optimistic that the treatment could make him feel better about himself and rid of all of his inner turmoil stemming from his childhood and his failed relationships. He had an estimated 100 sessions over several years.[300] For a long time, Grant viewed the drug positively, and stated that it was the solution after many years of "searching for his peace of mind", and that for first time in his life he was "truly, deeply and honestly happy".[300] Cannon claimed during a court hearing, in which she claimed he was an "apostle of LSD", that he was still taking the drug in 1967 as part of a remedy to save their relationship.[301] Grant later admitted that "taking LSD was an utterly foolish thing to do but I was a self-opinionated boor, hiding all kinds of layers and defences, hypocrisy and vanity. I had to get rid of them and wipe the slate clean".[302"

It reminds me of our Belgian Hergé, Georges Remy, I once put a nearly one hour interview with him on this board, his difficult relationship with himself...he once had to stop is drawing due in my opinion, in modern terms, a burn out or a nervous breakdown...He went for therapy, to come to himself again, here near Bruges in the monastery of the monks of Zevenkerke...

I feel with both...

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Carry Grant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carry Grant   Carry Grant Empty

Back to top Go down

Carry Grant

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: The history of people ... :: Individuals-