A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Buddha and his topknot

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hatshepsut
Praetor
Hatshepsut

Buddha and his topknot Empty
PostSubject: Buddha and his topknot   Buddha and his topknot EmptyWed 11 Oct 2017, 12:50

I am not sure under which heading my question should be posted: culture, history or religion. Apologies if it is in the wrong category.

I am currently doing a short introductory course on Japanese Art. Today’s lecture was about the influence of Buddhism on Japanese life and art.

As I expect most people know, the statues of Buddha show him with a ‘topknot’ which looks like hair, and indeed the teacher today even called it his hair.

However, going back about 20/25 years I went to an art exhibition in the US, and a Japanese teacher there said that the topknot was in fact a representation of the Buddha’s brain. He was the Enlightened One, the Wise One, the Superior One and consequently his brain was larger (and poked out through his skull).

I have been unable to find any other reference to this, and wondered if anyone here had further info to either confirm or refute this claim about the topknot?
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Buddha and his topknot   Buddha and his topknot EmptyWed 11 Oct 2017, 12:59

Binky,

according to Wiki, it is referred to as an Ushnisha

Ushnisha

Buddha Art

"Ushnisha, the Enlightenment Elevation above the fontanelle; is the flame-topped elevation on the head of the Buddha, defined as that which emerges from the head of a Fully Enlightened One."
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Buddha and his topknot   Buddha and his topknot EmptyWed 11 Oct 2017, 13:12

I know a few cranial knobs.

It seems both visualisations of his knob have some relevance to believers, the "protruding brain" bit having come later in the deification process. But then, as others here will testify, nothing woo-woo surprises me anymore.

Japanese Art is a fascinating subject, Binky - I hope you enjoy your course. It puts the top European early Renaissance artists in a very different perspective than we usually get when you see what was being produced by their contemporaries and earlier artists in the Far East. Some really beautiful works.
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Buddha and his topknot   Buddha and his topknot EmptyWed 11 Oct 2017, 13:27

An article about Japanese Art in general:

Japanese Art
Back to top Go down
Hatshepsut
Praetor
Hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Buddha and his topknot   Buddha and his topknot EmptyWed 11 Oct 2017, 20:14

Thank you for those links. 

Japan is a fascinating country to visit. We both love it and intend to go there again. The art, the architecture, the shrines, almost everything is fabulous to the western eye. 

I shall enjoy reacquainting myself with the art once more before we go again...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buddha and his topknot   Buddha and his topknot Empty

Back to top Go down

Buddha and his topknot

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1