A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Quiz - Murder Mysteries

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Meles meles
Censura

Quiz - Murder Mysteries - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quiz - Murder Mysteries   Quiz - Murder Mysteries - Page 2 EmptyTue 20 Feb 2018, 10:59

That's the lad ... the pin marks the mud-brick schoolhouse in the little village of La Higuera in Villegrande Province, Bolivia, where he was held prisoner and eventually shot on 9 October 1967. It's now a small museum/shrine, although I can't think they get many visitors being so far out in the sticks.

By the way Nordmann, I was surprised you didn't recognise No. 20 as Phoenix Park in Dublin.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Quiz - Murder Mysteries   Quiz - Murder Mysteries - Page 2 EmptyTue 20 Feb 2018, 11:55

A little bit more to the right and I might have recognised the monkey house in Dublin Zoo or the Garda Headquarters (despite vicious rumours these are not the same building).
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Quiz - Murder Mysteries   Quiz - Murder Mysteries - Page 2 EmptyTue 20 Feb 2018, 13:55

Going by the clue, number 13, I take it is Holbeche House, and the death/capture of the last of the Gunpowder Plotters.

Number 14, would that be a park in New Delhi?
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Quiz - Murder Mysteries   Quiz - Murder Mysteries - Page 2 EmptyTue 20 Feb 2018, 14:27

No. 13 - Yes Holbeche House in Staffordshire where the 1605 Gunpowder plotters made their last stand. Robert Catesby and Thomas Percy were killed by the same bullet as they ran out of the front door (marked by the pin). John and Christopher Wright were also killed although they were shot in the courtyard behind the house. The original house still stands essentially unaltered in layout, and is now a private nursing home.

No. 14 - is indeed in New Delhi, so, although you haven't said it I assume you know it's Mahatma Ghandi, who was assassinated in the gardens of Birla House in 1948. The exact spot is marked by a memorial.

Last edited by Meles meles on Tue 20 Feb 2018, 15:37; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Quiz - Murder Mysteries   Quiz - Murder Mysteries - Page 2 EmptyTue 20 Feb 2018, 14:35

I was looking up youtubes.

Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Quiz - Murder Mysteries   Quiz - Murder Mysteries - Page 2 EmptyTue 20 Feb 2018, 15:04

So that leaves just this one

No. 23 - This killing caused a dynastic crisis which led directly to another assassination which has already featured here.

Quiz - Murder Mysteries - Page 2 Murder_23

And with two more clues,

Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Quiz - Murder Mysteries   Quiz - Murder Mysteries - Page 2 EmptyTue 20 Feb 2018, 15:11

That was a cheeky one (the red nose gave it away). That poor eejit assassinated himself! Smile

EDIT: Though he probably bumped off his mistress the baroness first, so there was probably a murder (probably).
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Quiz - Murder Mysteries   Quiz - Murder Mysteries - Page 2 EmptyTue 20 Feb 2018, 15:23

nordmann wrote:
That was a cheeky one (the red nose gave it away). That poor eejit assassinated himself! Smile

EDIT: Though he probably bumped off his mistress the baroness first, so there was probably a murder (probably).

Yet despite being a suicide and probably a murderer, he still got buried with full Catholic rites.

No. 23 is the Imperial hunting lodge at Mayerling about 15km south-west of Vienna, where in 1889, Rudolf, the 30-year-old Crown Prince of Austria, apparently shot his 17-year-old lover, the Baroness Mary Vetsera, and then committed suicide. It caused a dynastic crisis as well as being a huge scandal which the Imperial family desperately tried to cover up. The first official report said he’d died of an “aneurism of the heart”; then it was suggested that his mind must have been temporarily disturbed when he saw her commit suicide and he then killed himself; then it was put out that maybe it was she that had first shot him, followed by herself; … there were even claims that it was all the work of French secret agents sent by Clemenceau. The Habsburgs’ attempts to have the whole uncomfortable matter hushed-up were partly successful in that Rudolf, apparently a suicide and maybe a murderer too, was finally interred in the Imperial Crypt. The young baroness’s body was however rapidly spirited away and secretly buried in the municipal cemetery of a nearby village before any proper examination, autopsy or judicial review could take place.

Last edited by Meles meles on Tue 20 Feb 2018, 21:22; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Quiz - Murder Mysteries   Quiz - Murder Mysteries - Page 2 EmptyTue 20 Feb 2018, 15:31

PS - Nordmann how do you insert your music clues?  ... Unfortunately with youtube the title of the music appears, which was rather too obvious.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Quiz - Murder Mysteries   Quiz - Murder Mysteries - Page 2 EmptyTue 20 Feb 2018, 16:00

I wouldn't have got any of them without the clues. Very good quiz, Meles.

From 1895;

Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Quiz - Murder Mysteries   Quiz - Murder Mysteries - Page 2 EmptyTue 20 Feb 2018, 17:10

My old method of inserting audio clips doesn't work anymore. I have to design a new way.
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: Quiz - Murder Mysteries   Quiz - Murder Mysteries - Page 2 EmptyTue 20 Feb 2018, 18:59

Great quiz Meles. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Quiz - Murder Mysteries   Quiz - Murder Mysteries - Page 2 EmptyTue 20 Feb 2018, 20:16

I'm glad you all enjoyed it ... it was fun to do.

The hardest thing about compiling these sort of quizzes is the basic idea. I think it's best if it's not too easy to google from the information provided in the questions: so facts like dates, names, quotations are generally out ... but photos, like here or on the when-they-were-young quizzes that Nordmann has done, are good. And even then it has to be fairly succinct. Murders and assassinations might not be a particularly jolly theme but coupled with where it occurred had the advantage of being very specific to a single event. Births, marriages, coronations, natural deaths etc wouldn't work so easily as all tend to occur in the same place for many different people - homes and hospitals tend to have seen many births and deaths; churches and cathedrals might have seen many marriages or coronations. In the same way none of the violent deaths I used could have been on battlefields - so Sir John Moore killed at Corunna was never really an option as there's always the risk of some smart Alec suggesting a Pte. John Smith of the 42nd regiment, or such like, and producing the evidence to support it.

As I say getting the idea is the difficult bit, once I'd sorted that it was just a fun afternoon to come up with a list of names and find the relevant images. And full credit where it's due - the basic premise arose out of one of Nord's quizzes from a couple of years ago, of Google Earth images of places that had seen great loss of life: battlefields, natural disasters, prison camps and such like.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Quiz - Murder Mysteries   Quiz - Murder Mysteries - Page 2 EmptyWed 21 Feb 2018, 08:49

I think I've found a new way to do music clues - I'll even post a little quiz later if I get it working.

btw - I didn't say thanks for this one, I enjoyed it (never knew there was so much of the world looked like Shropshire!) Smile Cheers
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Quiz - Murder Mysteries   Quiz - Murder Mysteries - Page 2 EmptyWed 21 Feb 2018, 11:32

Thanks for the effort you put in, MM, although I was absolutely hopeless and the one answer I did attempt was way off the mark.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quiz - Murder Mysteries   Quiz - Murder Mysteries - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Quiz - Murder Mysteries

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2