A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

The Tumbleweed Suite

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next
AuthorMessage
LadyinRetirement
Censura

The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyMon 31 Dec 2018, 20:41

Would the moving by boat with a long pole be in the style of what is called "punting"* in the UK - which seems to take place in the two cities where England's oldest universities are situated. 

Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyMon 31 Dec 2018, 20:43

And punting on the Cherwell (part of the Thames) at Oxford.  *Punting does have other meanings beside operating these types of boats.
Back to top Go down
Dirk Marinus
Consulatus
Dirk Marinus

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyMon 31 Dec 2018, 20:56

LadyinRetirement wrote:
Would the moving by boat with a long pole be in the style of what is called "punting"* in the UK - which seems to take place in the two cities where England's oldest universities are situated. 

Lady in Retirement,

Yes , it was on the same principle except that the skipper would be at the front end of his ship place the one end the pole into the water and the other end into his shoulder and then walk to the rear end of his ship at the same time pushing his full weight against the pole .
When arriving at the back/rear end he would take the pole out of the water and go back to the front end of the vessel and repeat the same procedure.
His wife or young child would be at the rudder to keep the vessel straight.
Of course there would be skippers who had a grown up son ( or maybe even a help) and then that procedure would take place on both sides of the vessel.
Difficult to explain in writing but I hope you grasp what I am trying to explain and bear in mind this was in the 1940,early 1950's and I am certain that that manner of transport with introduction of modern transport is now all history.

Btw have a happy and above all a HEALTHY New Year.

Dirk

Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyMon 31 Dec 2018, 21:13

Dirk, you did say that the method of propelling the boat with a pole was dated now and I couldn't find any videos showing that method.  This clip (not in a punt) showing a trip around the canals (or some of them at least) of Dordrecht shows it to be an attractive city.
Back to top Go down
Green George
Censura
Green George

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyMon 31 Dec 2018, 21:45

Still used on the Norfolk Broads, for vessels like the wherry Albion - known as "quanting"
The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 20066731_157486341466417_4565051108908597248_n.jpg?_nc_ht=instagram.fros2-2.fna.fbcdn.net&se=8&ig_cache_key=MTU2MjMzNDg3MDk5NzM5Njk3NA%3D%3D
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyMon 31 Dec 2018, 22:20

Green George wrote:
Well Paul, in Hornblower and the Atropos, Horatio travels to London in a "fly boat" so their ignorance is regrettable, if understandable. Since Army officers had to purchase their commissions, they were unlikely to contemplate travelling by a means which they would have to share with the hoi polloi

Cher George,

it can be that it were hoi polloi with a better status, for instance some "burocrates" of the British army ( I don't find the original source again), anyway it were British subjects, who preferred our "trekschuit" above the British ones...

Cordialement, votre ami Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyMon 31 Dec 2018, 22:35

LadyinRetirement wrote:
Some typing came through so I've been off the board for a while.

Paul, yes there do seem to be liaisons of the type you mentioned after wars.  One of my late mother's friends and former colleagues had a French mother but that lady's parents were married.  I myself had a friend from when I was about 10 to my mid-teens who was half German but unfortunately that girl's parents' marriage did not last and the girl went to live in Germany with her Mum.  Not as posh as a "trekschuitt" but I mentioned a few months ago that there was an arm of the Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal that once ran into my town for the delivery of coal.  The canal arm had been filled in during my lifetime but I can remember in the middle of a field with no canal any more there being a turnover bridge for the horses that would have pulled the barges to turn.  The bridge itself has been knocked down now - in fact it was demolished some years ago.  Explanation of a turnover bridge:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roving_bridge  I can remember a teacher (when I was about 9 or 10) reading a book to the class The Voyage of the Land Ship. From what I can remember the land ship was a caravan in the shape of a ship.  I quite liked the story I think but I can't find anything online about the story - the book is mentioned on 2nd hand bookselling sites (it's probably out of print now) but those sites don't explain the contents of the story.  https://www.amazon.com/voyage-Landship-Dale-Collins/dp/B000WTW80E

Yes Lady, on the "images" of google I saw many such bridges. All those "trekschuiten" seems to be quite a European phenomenon....
The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 Canal-bridges-12?imgmax=1600

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyMon 31 Dec 2018, 23:11

Dirk Marinus wrote:
Subject of trek schuit brings back many memories because as a child living in the northern part of Holland ( Friesland) where there are many canals, lakes, waterways etc I saw many a ships being pulled by horses and there were also many times that the owner of the ship stepped on the path next to the water ways and pulled the ship or boat whatever you like to call it by means of a very broad belt stripped across the body and a thick rope attached to the vessel.

Just to make it clear I am not talking about big or massive vessels but the type of boats what were used to transport goods, cattle etc between towns and villages.
Another way of moving by boat was with a long pole one end into the shoulder and the other end into the waterways bottom and then push.
Btw , I am talking about the late 1930's and 1940's 

Dirk

Zut lost my message on the crucial moment...

Dirk, Gil, MM, LiR, Temp, I wish you all a happy new year and many years after...
Wanted just to say that the practice with the pole as you and Gil say is still in use in China. Saw it in many documentaries...
And was stuck in a reply to MM for another thread about "craniometry" and Roger Vacher de Lapouge...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Vacher_de_Lapouge

I hope to see you this year many times on these boards...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyTue 01 Jan 2019, 18:48

PaulRyckier wrote:
Dirk Marinus wrote:
Subject of trek schuit brings back many memories because as a child living in the northern part of Holland ( Friesland) where there are many canals, lakes, waterways etc I saw many a ships being pulled by horses and there were also many times that the owner of the ship stepped on the path next to the water ways and pulled the ship or boat whatever you like to call it by means of a very broad belt stripped across the body and a thick rope attached to the vessel.

Just to make it clear I am not talking about big or massive vessels but the type of boats what were used to transport goods, cattle etc between towns and villages.
Another way of moving by boat was with a long pole one end into the shoulder and the other end into the waterways bottom and then push.
Btw , I am talking about the late 1930's and 1940's 

Dirk

Zut lost my message on the crucial moment...

Dirk, Gil, MM, LiR, Temp, I wish you all a happy new year and many years after...
Wanted just to say that the practice with the pole as you and Gil say is still in use in China. Saw it in many documentaries...
And was stuck in a reply to MM for another thread about "craniometry" and Roger Vacher de Lapouge...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Vacher_de_Lapouge

I hope to see you this year many times on these boards...

Kind regards from Paul.
OOPS, I forgot of course that our midnight was an hour before the UK Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Thus again, a happy new year to everybody and many new years after, especially to Caro now some 7 and...hours in the morning or is it six...

Kind regards to everyone from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Dirk Marinus
Consulatus
Dirk Marinus

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyTue 01 Jan 2019, 21:09

LadyinRetirement wrote:
Dirk, you did say that the method of propelling the boat with a pole was dated now and I couldn't find any videos showing that method.  This clip (not in a punt) showing a trip around the canals (or some of them at least) of Dordrecht shows it to be an attractive city.

Lady,

Have a look at this video clip and you will see a few boats being moved in the way I mentioned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsPNcdWZvFA

Btw it had to think a bit but in the Dutch language it is called "bomen"

Also bear in mind that in this video clip the it is all about pleasure and holidaying on the water.

What I was actually referring to when talking about this in the 1940's 1950's was that the boats used were a bit larger than the one in the video and it was the only means of delivering goods , cattle etc between towns and villages and of course with the improvement of roads introduction of motorised traffic it became totally obsolete.

But it was up to the early 1950's a important transportation but .... certainly not well paid.
Maybe to much competition???

Dirk

Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyTue 01 Jan 2019, 21:54

Good find, Dirk. Yes, at about 1:01 of the video.  The inland waterways are mostly used for holiday and leisure activity in the UK also nowadays - I'm not even sure if there are any working narrow boats now in the UK, but maybe someone with more knowledge than I can inform me.  Thanks for posting the clip.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyWed 02 Jan 2019, 09:48

A selfie taken outside my abode this morning (dig the tights man!)

The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 51%2B27YnNwoL
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyWed 02 Jan 2019, 09:56

nordmann, I'd have thought thicker tights were needed in the wilds of Norway in the midst of winter but I'm sure we all thank you for the new year wishes..  By the way, in that channel (Guy Jones) that I found with restored early 20th century/late 19th century film clips there was a reel of 1913 Stockholm (which even I with my so-so geography know is not in Norway - still it's Scandinavia).  If the film clips are already known to folk, apologies.

Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyWed 02 Jan 2019, 11:43

LadyinRetirement wrote:
nordmann, I'd have thought thicker tights were needed in the wilds of Norway in the midst of winter ...

Not for those of us who are smart enough to bring ample spinach with us (see picture above for details).

Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyWed 02 Jan 2019, 23:22

"Lady,
Have a look at this video clip and you will see a few boats being moved in the way I mentioned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsPNcdWZvFA
Btw it had to think a bit but in the Dutch language it is called "bomen"
Also bear in mind that in this video clip the it is all about pleasure and holidaying on the water.
What I was actually referring to when talking about this in the 1940's 1950's was that the boats used were a bit larger than the one in the video and it was the only means of delivering goods , cattle etc between towns and villages and of course with the improvement of roads introduction of motorised traffic it became totally obsolete.
But it was up to the early 1950's a important transportation but .... certainly not well paid.
Maybe to much competition???
Dirk

"Btw it had to think a bit but in the Dutch language it is called "bomen""

Yes Dirk, and it is still overhere also called "bomen"...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Green George
Censura
Green George

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyWed 02 Jan 2019, 23:45

Here's the home page of the Norfolk Wherry "Albion". Note the dimensions and carrying capacity (on the FAQ page)
https://wherryalbion.com/

"Albion on the water" has a bit of quanting.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyThu 03 Jan 2019, 12:49

So "bomen" is "quanting" when translated into English?  It may be to quote Groucho Marx "so simple a child of 5 could understand it" - but maybe I am like Groucho in that he followed up with a request to send him a child of 5 as it made no sense to him - so sorry if I seem a bit slow on the uptake this cold miserable early afternoon.

Maybe it's a judgement for the quip about nordmann's tights in the selfie mentioned earlier in the thread but I put some leggings on under my skirt today for an extra layer of warmth and with my socks they look a bit like a little girl in the Edwardian era with the lower part of her pantalettes showing below her skirt.  Still, as any work I do is from home I don't have to worry about conforming to an office dress code any longer.   Though I don't suppose little girls would have had grey hair.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyThu 03 Jan 2019, 22:13

LadyinRetirement wrote:
So "bomen" is "quanting" when translated into English?  It may be to quote Groucho Marx "so simple a child of 5 could understand it" - but maybe I am like Groucho in that he followed up with a request to send him a child of 5 as it made no sense to him - so sorry if I seem a bit slow on the uptake this cold miserable early afternoon.

Maybe it's a judgement for the quip about nordmann's tights in the selfie mentioned earlier in the thread but I put some leggings on under my skirt today for an extra layer of warmth and with my socks they look a bit like a little girl in the Edwardian era with the lower part of her pantalettes showing below her skirt.  Still, as any work I do is from home I don't have to worry about conforming to an office dress code any longer.   Though I don't suppose little girls would have had grey hair.

Lady,

there seems to be "quanting" and "punting" and perhaps they are related or nearly the same?

I give this for Dirk as it is in Dutch and perhaps he can better summarize it in English...
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bomen
http://www.debinnenvaart.nl/binnenvaarttaal/aanvullende_teksten/voortstuwing/teksten.php?tekst=bomen

And "bomen" and "punten" or "punteren" exists also in Dutch.
And further in English:

Kind regards from Paul.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quant_pole
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyThu 03 Jan 2019, 22:32

Green George wrote:
Here's the home page of the Norfolk Wherry "Albion". Note the dimensions and carrying capacity (on the FAQ page)
https://wherryalbion.com/

"Albion on the water" has a bit of quanting.

Gil,

yes under FaQs: Is there an engine? : via the sail or the wherryman's muscles via the quants...

And people who want to save the yacht of Jacques Brel (I know one of the promotors as he is family of a close acquintess...)
http://www.askoyii.be/

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyFri 04 Jan 2019, 16:29

I found something on Wikipedia about "quant pole" but alas no video https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quant_pole
Back to top Go down
Green George
Censura
Green George

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyFri 04 Jan 2019, 18:17

LadyinRetirement wrote:
I found something on Wikipedia about "quant pole" but alas no video https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quant_pole
If you go to the "Albion" website already cited, (https://wherryalbion.com/) then click on "Albion", then "Albion videos"
 then "Antiques Road Trip" you'll see a first attempt at quanting. Also a bit on the "Stokesby trip" video.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptySat 05 Jan 2019, 17:49

A different meaning for Quant - by the way Paul, thanks for the directions on the videos on the Albion wherry website.  I had a pair of these Mary Quant boots back in the day [url=collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O84584/pair-of-ankle-quant-mary/]collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O84584/pair-of-ankle-quant-mary/[/url]  (in the same bright yellow as the ones depicted in the link.  Alas they hurt the back of my ankles (rubbing) and didn't stay bright yellow for long and of course with the outside being rigid PVC they weren't easy to clean.  But I can remember when I wore them someone said "She's a Quanter".  Edit: for some reason the link appears greyed out so it is not yellow.

A new series I have found on YouTube - it's called "ChoosingBeggars" - I suppose that is the same as being a choosy beggar.  It's poking fun at people who try to are trying to get something for nothing or very much reduced or else doing "GoFundMes" for their foreign holidays - or come to my party but bring a gift not less than XXXX dollars/pounds - not saying all the examples cited are on this particular video linked but you get the drift.  I know there can be legitimate bartering and "payment in kind" but that's not what is exemplified in the video.  It's not history in the sense of long years past but perhaps relevant as an indication of our current times.  Sorry about the double post of the video but at first it didn't see it and now I can't delete it.

Last edited by LadyinRetirement on Sun 06 Jan 2019, 09:57; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptySun 06 Jan 2019, 09:56

I was thinking of names that can be both male or female names.  There is "Julian" which is more often a male name nowadays but there was Dame Julian of Norwich.  "Beverley" is more commonly a female name but there was Beverley Nichols.  With me, my real life name is definitely feminine but some of the diminutives can be either/or.  I was thinking about an Irish song with the words "her daddy called her Paddy 'cause he thought she'd be a lady" - I couldn't find any recording of it but there are some comments on a query on mudcat, though it's necessary to scroll down for the lyrics.  https://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=137252  A friend from college days had a sister using the diminutive "Paddy" and one of my girl cousins uses it.  Hilary can be either a male or female name (politician Hilary Benn for example) though I personally can't recall meeting a male Hilary in real life although I have encountered some female ones.

Thinking of the comments above regarding boating - nothing about quanting but I thought about something I heard on the radio some time ago about a man who crossed the English channel in a bath-tub but looking at the pictures in an article I have found online he had mounted the bath-tub on a smallish catamaran so the claim was not completely true. https://kickasstrips.com/.../tim-fitzhigham-rows-a-bathtub-across-the-english-channel/
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptySun 06 Jan 2019, 10:14

The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 Paddy_Spike_4

Spike and Paddy (Patricia Ridgeway) prior to their wedding in 1962. Their "best man" would go on to produce a certain bunch of musical Liverpool scallywags ....
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptySun 06 Jan 2019, 10:59

Oh yes, George Martin (not the one who wrote Game of Thrones).  I had a brief read through of Spike Milligan's Wikipedia entry; I hadn't realised or had forgotten that he had retained Irish citizenship (there was some problem with him claiming British citizenship although he was of Irish/English parentage and had been in the services in World War II.

At the time I was looking at loony videos one lady YouTuber had suggested that an up-and-coming actor was a transgender clone - one of the pictures she referred to was the said actor (and pictures of some of his suggested clones) standing in front of brickwork - because brickwork, masonic .  However, I always called the sort of brickwork where the bricks on the second row of brickwork are set with the mid-point of the second row of bricks above the joint point on the lower row "half-bricking" though I'm not sure now if I was right.  https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Perpend

But lunacy and transgender clones aside does anybody know where this style of placing bricks originated?  My own house has that pattern of brickwork and I am certainly not a transgender clone or a minor celebrity.  Not my house but another link showing such brickwork https://www.mbhplc.co.uk/bda/Structure-Laterally-Loaded-Walls.pdf   To be honest, most houses, or buildings in general, in England I've come across seem to have that pattern of brickwork so I don't know how anyone would think it was down to the influence of the naughty freemasons.

Before I log out, I had looked to see if there might be an older thread suitable for posting about brickwork.  In the falsely ascribed inventions thread, I see that nordmann and I think Trike had mentioned the killing of Murcod Ballagh and the Halifax gibbet there before I ever typed anything about a fellow member of the French conversation group I attend having brought an article about the guillotine for discussion.  I don't always read all the "back catalogue" of the site before I post anything.  Mind you, I think MM and others made some interesting contributions after I mentioned the guillotine article.

When I originally mentioned lookalikes I linked to Private Eye's lookalike page which at the time featured a side-on view of POTUS and an illustration of a prehistoric man.  Today I clicked on the link and I got Jacob Rees-Mogg and Charles Hartree so it seems Private Eye always defaults to its current copy.  I won't paste the link this time because it will only update to the next pair of lookalikes when the next Private Eye comes out.

Last edited by LadyinRetirement on Mon 07 Jan 2019, 12:30; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptySun 06 Jan 2019, 11:30

Off-setting perpends is as old as brick moulds and mud-brick assembly. As "trial and error" learning curves go, I imagine avoiding having perpends aligned in a wall would have been one that was very short indeed when early builders approached the point where gravity and material strength began competing for supremacy in whether the wall should stay up or fall down.

However in situations where mould assembly wasn't dependable enough to produce enough bricks of uniform size for the planned construction, or where the sheer scale of the construction meant that other reinforcement techniques had to be employed, then even ancient builders introduced several amendments to simple median distribution when assembling bricks in the vertical. While all of these had sound geometric principles and were designed to aid intrinsic strength and possibility for integration of several planes and structure components, they also led to some very pleasingly aesthetic patterns in brickwork that in turn were utilised sometimes purely because they were deemed "pretty" and fashionable by different cultures at different times. Three of my favourites (and which have become stylistically redolent of different cultures and periods in which they were later employed) are the Roman use of lateral seams, herringbone, and "opus reticulatum", all originally techniques to control weight distribution and vertical stress, but thanks to Roman perfection of concrete and mortar could increasingly be incorporated as pure decoration.

Here's some nice seam and reticulatum from Portus, Rome's snazzy new giant artificial port at the mouth of the Tiber that was designed for Claudius as much to advertise the emperor's commitment to aesthetic perfection as to his desire to provide a fitting upgrade to Ostia through which the great wealth of the empire would be imported.

The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 Large_hero_72424a20-552f-4739-9e21-56840aa1c13b

And herringbone (spicatum) from a Roman villa:

The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 OpusSpicatumRomaMercatiTraianei

You'll see reticulatum emulated in central Europe as a stylistic norm from the late medieval right up to the early 20th century. Spicatum, as I'm sure you are familiar with, within Britain is very heavily associated with prestigious Tudor buildings.

Speaking of typical Tudor brickwork, here's what happens when improved standards in industrial moulds meets current fashion tastes, innovative shortcuts and economies employed by bricklayers, and an ancient love of reticulatum - the "lozenge" or "diaper" pattern that is now also almost synonymous with that period in Britain. In fact geometrically it's still simple median distribution between layers, just using colour to achieve the effect.

The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 Layers-of-history-parks-gardens-harrington-hall-brick-wall-diaper-pattern-803x1200
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptySun 06 Jan 2019, 23:09

nordmann wrote:
Off-setting perpends is as old as brick moulds and mud-brick assembly. As "trial and error" learning curves go, I imagine avoiding having perpends aligned in a wall would have been one that was very short indeed when early builders approached the point where gravity and material strength began competing for supremacy in whether the wall should stay up or fall down.

However in situations where mould assembly wasn't dependable enough to produce enough bricks of uniform size for the planned construction, or where the sheer scale of the construction meant that other reinforcement techniques had to be employed, then even ancient builders introduced several amendments to simple median distribution when assembling bricks in the vertical. While all of these had sound geometric principles and were designed to aid intrinsic strength and possibility for integration of several planes and structure components, they also led to some very pleasingly aesthetic patterns in brickwork that in turn were utilised sometimes purely because they were deemed "pretty" and fashionable by different cultures at different times. Three of my favourites (and which have become stylistically redolent of different cultures and periods in which they were later employed) are the Roman use of lateral seams, herringbone, and "opus reticulatum", all originally techniques to control weight distribution and vertical stress, but thanks to Roman perfection of concrete and mortar could increasingly be incorporated as pure decoration.

Here's some nice seam and reticulatum from Portus, Rome's snazzy new giant artificial port at the mouth of the Tiber that was designed for Claudius as much to advertise the emperor's commitment to aesthetic perfection as to his desire to provide a fitting upgrade to Ostia through which the great wealth of the empire would be imported

And herringbone (spicatum) from a Roman villa:
You'll see reticulatum emulated in central Europe as a stylistic norm from the late medieval right up to the early 20th century. Spicatum, as I'm sure you are familiar with, within Britain is very heavily associated with prestigious Tudor buildings.

Speaking of typical Tudor brickwork, here's what happens when improved standards in industrial moulds meets current fashion tastes, innovative shortcuts and economies employed by bricklayers, and an ancient love of reticulatum - the "lozenge" or "diaper" pattern that is now also almost synonymous with that period in Britain. In fact geometrically it's still simple median distribution between layers, just using colour to achieve the effect.

nordmann,

one period of my life I learned and applied bricklaying and as such was always interested in bricks...in the BBC times I did a study for a medical doctor, who as hobby collected bricks from different kilns...I then realised that in Northern Europe after the Romans the kilns didn't exist anymore and brick building disappeared for centuries till the reintrodiction in Northern Europe especially where the clay layers were abudant and the stones needed for stone construction had to be supplied via the rivers. And that was the case in Crown Flanders (the Flanders depending from the French crown). Hence the reintroduction overthere...but about how it all started there is still a lot of research to do and a lot of controversies. In the time I mentioned the Cisterciencers monks, Ter Duinen, Ter Doest, Hemiksem but now they say that it could also come from the emerging cities as Bruges or even a multi polar origin...I mentioned a link with Southern France and North Italy, where the Roman bricks never completely disappeared, but now that is put in question too...however there were already baken tiles from the 900 on overhere, tiles à la romaine...? again question marks and further research...
A link with the latest research but sadly in Dutch...
https://www.academia.edu/1909402/Archeologisch_onderzoek_naar_baksteenovens_in_Vlaanderen_een_overzicht
(Archaeologic research about brick kilns in Flanders a survey)

nordmann,

"Off-setting perpends is as old as brick moulds and mud-brick assembly. As "trial and error" learning curves go, I imagine avoiding having perpends aligned in a wall would have been one that was very short indeed when early builders approached the point where gravity and material strength began competing for supremacy in whether the wall should stay up or fall down."
Unbelievable how such three words "off-setting perpends" can lead to three quarters research...
And I didn't find it, but from what you said I tried to construct about what you were talking about...
First "perpends" that was the easy one...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brickwork
I am even not sure how it is called in Dutch, but we called it a "staande voeg" (a staying joint) as opposed to a "liggende voeg" (a bed) (a laying joint)...
But now "off-setting" I guess is that the "perpends" of the layers bricks come not vertical above each other so that the layers have "verband" (connection?) with each other. A good "verband" can also be made in a brick (in the length) thick wall with laying one layer two times in normal "verband" alternating with a layer of headers in the width of the wall...and I learned this evening that cavity walls with cavity irons? (spouwhaken, videhaken in our dialect) existed already from the very beginning of brick laying...
In our dialect we say also "off-setting?", the bricks "schranken", but that word seems not to exist in Dutch; only in a Southern Dutch dictionary: alternate
http://www.vlaamswoordenboek.be/definities/term/schranken
And further:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_construction

And thank you nordmann for the photos: In the last one...is that "the off-setting" of the bricks in a manner depending from the inspiration of the moment, with other words no "pattern" or at least no pattern that I recognize Wink ?

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyMon 07 Jan 2019, 07:48

The last photo I posted looks indeed like one of those colour-blindness tests an optician might present you with during an eye examination, but it is typical of a brick pattern that was very popular in Tudor England.

According to the late Fred Dibnah, who older UK residents may remember from his various TV outings back in the day, he reckoned it was an attempt to suggest the timber-frame construction method then also very typical of houses of the period, and in so far as its popularity in England went he could well have been right. Fred however was a man who evaluated the evidence in front of him in terms of practical "hands-on" appreciation and application (normally while dismantling it with a lump hammer) and probably knew little or cared less about architectural motif development from classical times, the reticulation motif in brickwork being one of the more pronounced of these given the huge variety of techniques that could be used to achieve it. I seem to remember him being told once by an aristocrat whose manor house he was visiting in one of his documentaries that the house's facade had been constructed in early 18th century "rococo" style by a leading neo-classical architect of the period who had been brought over from Italy especially for the commission, to which Fred replied that it did indeed remind him of the Italian ice-cream parlour he remembered as a kid on the seafront in Blackpool.

For all his faults, which unfortunately often received as much attention from TV producers as his interests and activities, I liked Fred.

While still a teenager, Fred's mother asked him if he could do something about the chimney in their two-up two-down terraced house, which had fallen into disrepair and had a very weak draught. Fred duly obliged, and ended up constructing this:

The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 Freds_chimney

The presence of an incongruous Palladian-style brick chimney on the Bolton skyline was something of a conversation-piece amongst the locals, but when Fred later found national fame on TV so too did his chimney - both it and his mother's opinion of it being aired to the entire country on the BBC. Architectural historians were even rolled out later to give their opinion on its construction, one of whom going so far as to suggest that if it wasn't for its incongruous setting among the packed tenement-terraces of working class Bolton it would not have looked out of place on a baronial manor of the Victorian period, redolent as it was of the best work of William Burgess, the renowned "art-architect" of the period who was much in demand among the aristocracy for his fanciful ornamentation in brick and mortar. Fred's reply, when asked what his influence had actually been, replied "most likely too much beer".
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyMon 07 Jan 2019, 09:27

I liked Fred Dibnah though I tend to remember his restoration of various machinery as much as his building (and demolition) of chimneys.  Sadly it seems the person looking after the museum/heritage centre after Fred's death couldn't afford to keep it running or couldn't get a buyer when he wanted to retire so the collection was sold off.  I only hope the lots went to people who appreciated them.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-43448181
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyMon 07 Jan 2019, 21:15

Lady,

of course I continental have never heard about him...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Dibnah

What a life, it reads as a novel...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyMon 07 Jan 2019, 22:33

nordmann,

The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 Layers-of-history-parks-gardens-harrington-hall-brick-wall-diaper-pattern-803x1200

"The last photo I posted looks indeed like one of those colour-blindness tests an optician might present you with during an eye examination, but it is typical of a brick pattern that was very popular in Tudor England."

I still sticked to my view as that the pattern was at random and that the only must for the bricklayers was to have no perpends verticla above each other...even bricks with heads, (or halves from the length, we call it half a brick), three quarters and full lengths
And the pattern...no pattern at all...
https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Types_of_brick_bonding
At our Belgain coast we had many buildings with glazed bricks in stack pattern, glazed to resist to wind accompanied with sand storms
The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 Stackbond
But then Tudor brickwork:
http://www.buildingconservation.com/articles/tudor-brickwork/tudor-brickwork.htm
https://hrpprodsa.blob.core.windows.net/hrp-prod-container/10726/hcp-conserving-tudor-brickwork2.pdf
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diapering

And SUDDENLY I saw the DIAMONDS...
And of course to fit with the "black" diamond the bricklayer had to use all kind of tricks with the "red" bricks as using quarters, halves and three quarters, as full lengths.

Damned and "he" is right "again!"...how is that possible...the only escape...I was that fixated on the perpends that I didn't saw the overall shape Wink ...

And now I start to understand the frustration of a certain Temperance....TEMPERANCE, WHERE ARE YOU?

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Green George
Censura
Green George

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyTue 08 Jan 2019, 00:07

Paul : This is described in England as "Flemish Bond" brickwork.
The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGyC8VIEbuVUgIE__XMBNHhld7x-22Lsx-rkXR3Y9YVJxBdEVQ

Does that make sense to you from local practice?

Re Fred Dibnah - a local man, Len Crane, was a friend of his, in fact his low loader was used to take Fred's traction engine on his last filming tour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQtF7tZECvw
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyTue 08 Jan 2019, 23:12

Green George wrote:
Paul : This is described in England as "Flemish Bond" brickwork.
The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGyC8VIEbuVUgIE__XMBNHhld7x-22Lsx-rkXR3Y9YVJxBdEVQ

Does that make sense to you from local practice?

Re Fred Dibnah - a local man, Len Crane, was a friend of his, in fact his low loader was used to take Fred's traction engine on his last filming tour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQtF7tZECvw

Gil,

again the whole evening reading about the Belgian King's Question for a French forum
https://goo.gl/xuSfm7
http://www.ethesis.net/jaspar/jaspar.htm#Deel IV: De zoektocht naar erkenning; Marcel-Henri Jaspar te Londen

But yes the Flemish bond I recognize, but it was never used, the bond we used for a one brick thick wall, was seemingly the English bond Wink
https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Types_of_brick_bonding
The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 English_brick_bond

and for half a brick thick, as façades with "spouwhaken" (cavitiy hooks?) this strectcher pattern..
The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 Stretcherbond

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyWed 09 Jan 2019, 11:21

I don't know the names of these different bonds and patterns, though if I read nordmann's post again I may get them into my head.  It's interesting to see all these variations - and then how people built circular structures and arches and so on and so forth.

My thinking about brickwork, as I said, came from tangential thinking after I caught a nutty video.  I don't belong to Historum but I have looked at that site and read comments periodically.  I think Paul  belongs to that site as well as here.  Seems I'm not the only person who has stumbled across nutty videos.  Someone on Historum had said he was trying to research stuff about the pyramids (Egyptian) and a YouTube search brought up things about how dinosaurs helped build the pyramids etc.  I'm happy to report that other members of Historum were able to point him in the direction of more scholastic sources.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyWed 09 Jan 2019, 13:55

Nothing I've read but somebody told me informally once that brickwork patterns were used to denote the business carried on in a building before literacy became commonplace. (I suppose this would be a pattern in a panel rather than a whole building if its true).  I haven't been able to find anything online to verify that statement.  I found a paper (article?)  (Warwick University) about inn signs (saying that in Roman times a bush was stuck outside a building to show that it was a tavern though it is much more complicated than that.  The sign with the cat upset me (I suppose the same idea as the nursery rhyme "Ding Dong Bell").  Has anybody any idea whether brickwork panels were ever used to convey the type of work carried on in a building?

My link to the article on inn signs didn't appear to have "taken" unless it was deleted.  If for some reason it transgresses the rules of the site let me know and I'll redact this post accordingly.  https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/cross_fac/iatl/reinvention/issues/volume4issue1/dent/

Last edited by LadyinRetirement on Thu 10 Jan 2019, 15:51; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyThu 10 Jan 2019, 11:11

Excerpts from a 1950s TV show called Trackdown, featuring a con man named Trump who promises to build a wall to protect a town from the end of the World;

Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyThu 10 Jan 2019, 15:52

Well found, Trike.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyFri 11 Jan 2019, 16:15

Bit of a nuisance, had my blood pressure checked today (it was actually Friday I had it taken - maybe I posted this late when Friday had rolled over into Saturday*) and the diastolic part of the reading was on the high side (so I have to go back for another reading in two weeks).  The same thing happened last year but I cut out coffee and when I went back for the second reading it was normal.  I still like my cups of tea but maybe I need to cut out caffeine altogether - and also check if any snacks I buy to nibble have salt in - also I'm supposed to avoid sugar.  Many of the other sweeteners have sugar in them.  I don't especially have a sweet tooth but some things I like sweetened a little.  I'll have to have a think about my diet again.  I feel okay in myself.

Since the discussion about brickwork styles I find I'm becoming aware of any walls I pass that have perhaps a panel or motif that is different from the generic brickwork style local to where I live.

Edited: Thinking of adverts that pop up (not just on this site) - I'd been looking at leggings and patterns for leggings and an advert appeared for leggings from a brand called "Big Bloomers" - that's enough to send my blood pressure soaring.  I may not be skinny Minnie and when I reached middle age I was afflicted with something of the dreaded "middle-aged spread" but I'm not massive either!!!

*Edit - between the brackets.

Last edited by LadyinRetirement on Sun 13 Jan 2019, 15:59; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptySun 13 Jan 2019, 15:44

Talking about blood pressure LiR - Mrs V and I tend to take regular walks to keep it in check. This morning, out for the customary constitutional before breakfast, there was even a rainbow in the sky. Okay, it was quite feint and was only half a rainbow but was still a rainbow nonetheless which is incredibly rare for January. The heavy snows in central and eastern Europe seem a world away to us. The mildness of December and January (so far) in the British Isles could see the winter of 2018-19 go down as one of the warmest on record.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptySun 13 Jan 2019, 22:46

Vizzer wrote:
Talking about blood pressure LiR - Mrs V and I tend to take regular walks to keep it in check. This morning, out for the customary constitutional before breakfast, there was even a rainbow in the sky. Okay, it was quite feint and was only half a rainbow but was still a rainbow nonetheless which is incredibly rare for January. The heavy snows in central and eastern Europe seem a world away to us. The mildness of December and January (so far) in the British Isles could see the winter of 2018-19 go down as one of the warmest on record.

So is it over here too, Vizzer. 11 degrees Centigrade, here some 20 km from the Channel...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyTue 15 Jan 2019, 16:39

I need to get up a bit earlier each day and take a walk round the block then, Vizzer.

However, what I wanted to post about was that at the French conversation group today one lady brought in an article from the London corespondent of a French newspaper about the phenomenon of homeless people in the UK sleeping in (large obviously) rubbish bins and sometimes sustaining accidents thereby (sometimes fatal accidents).  Somehow I had missed that when the subject was in the UK news though I'll admit I only tend to watch the main headlines these days.  I found this reference online to such a fatality.  https://resource.co/article/homeless-man-dies-after-sleeping-bin-12695  What a terrible case.

Are there sizeable numbers of homeless people in the countries of Res Hist members from mainland Europe?  It's certainly real in the UK.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyTue 15 Jan 2019, 21:03

Drat, I spotted one of Mickey's* relatives scamper across a room today.  I thought I'd cleared them out. (Maybe I did but I live next-door to an empty house -the semi-detached which adjoins the semi-detached in which I live - so if they are ensconced there it doesn't take a bit hole for them to find their way through.  I'm not overjoyed by the prospects of having to go round trying to fill in any holes with wire wool or steel wool.  My somewhat laid-back cat would rather jump up and harangue me to feed her than catch anything.

*As in Mickey Mouse.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyTue 15 Jan 2019, 21:42

LadyinRetirement wrote:
Drat, I spotted one of Mickey's* relatives scamper across a room today.  I thought I'd cleared them out. (Maybe I did but I live next-door to an empty house -the semi-detached which adjoins the semi-detached in which I live - so if they are ensconced there it doesn't take a bit hole for them to find their way through.  I'm not overjoyed by the prospects of having to go round trying to fill in any holes with wire wool or steel wool.  My somewhat laid-back cat would rather jump up and harangue me to feed her than catch anything.

*As in Mickey Mouse.

Lady,

in our first house (during the war, a German telephone centrale (there were still painted texts on the wall "Rauchen verboten")) after a rather hastely refurbishing, including a new roof (there was no roof on it, when my parents bougth it) and laying near the coast in the middle of rural polders, we had a lot of difficulties with those Mickeys...
PS see my comments to Vizzer on the elephant room...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyWed 16 Jan 2019, 19:46

I've not that long finished reading a book by a writer called Shirley McKay called A Calendar of Crime.  Rather than a long novel it was a compendium of stories (though with the same lead characters) about the Quarter Days and one feast day, Candlemas, Whitsun, Lammas, Martinmas and Yule.  I know we are two weeks (a little more actually) after Christmas now, but in the Yule story it seems that The Grinch, Scrooge and the English Puritans were preceded by certain parties in 16th century Scotland who wanted to cut down on the Christmas cheer.  In fact if the book (set in 1588) was correct the feast was called Yule in Scotland. The word could also begin with the defunct letter yogh which MM recently wrote about (can't remember which thread - sorry, MM, my head is like a leaky bucket sometimes).   I have written ti but I could only find it on a site where the letter was very big so I've put it right at the end of my post.  It seems that people were trying to cut down on Christmas cheer even under Mary of Guise (pre-Reformation).  I miss Ferval, she would have clarified matters pertaining to Scotland but if what I have read is correct Christmas only became a holiday in Scotland in 1958.  I do apologise if this has been covered on another thread at an earlier time.  https://hewcullanmysteries.com/about/  If anyone does want to read the article after clicking on the link they will have to then click on the third subheading on the site "1588: A Calendar of Crime" and then scroll down to "Yule".  Ms McKay mentions that Yule was also known as [size=50]ȝule[/size]
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptySat 19 Jan 2019, 12:34

Yesterday I was quite busy typing so didn't contribute anything to the site.  As mentioned above I did go down the rabbit hole about the letters which have disappeared (and which MM was very informative about) from the alphabet.  It is an interesting subject though it's already been discussed extensively.

I hope I'm not turning into the Grinch, or Scrooge, but Christmas isn't yet a month ago and already there are adverts* (both online and in real bricks and mortar shops) for Valentine's Day and even the occasional Easter one (though Cadbury's cream eggs seem to be on sale all the year round nowadays).  I thought can't the consumer society take a little time off.  If Brexit goes ahead we will probably have to "batten down the hatches" in the UK and spend on necessities rather than fripperies.  I suppose most of us do that anyway but I don't consider it a sin to give oneself an occasional treat even if a modest treat.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptySat 19 Jan 2019, 14:33

I watched a YouTube video about "yogh" and that led to a clip about the origin of the tilde ~over some occurrences of the letter n in Spanish.  I'm sure ComicMonsta was already aware (and maybe other members of ResHist) but to me it was interesting. I am after all learning Spanish (allegedly).  By the way, autocorrect - though that's my computer not the Res Hist site turns "yogh" into "yoga" and I have to go back and change it manually.
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptySat 19 Jan 2019, 16:57

LadyinRetirement wrote:
I thought can't the consumer society take a little time off.

It is a bit of a merry-go-round LiR. The advertisers and retailers have now got it down to a fine art. That said - there is evidence that even the most gullible of nose-led consumers are wising-up to this and are beginning to resist. But it's early days yet. The revolution will not be televised. It might just be selfied on smart phones. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptySat 19 Jan 2019, 19:30

LadyinRetirement wrote:
I watched a YouTube video about "yogh" and that led to a clip about the origin of the tilde ~over some occurrences of the letter n in Spanish.  I'm sure ComicMonsta was already aware (and maybe other members of ResHist) but to me it was interesting. I am after all learning Spanish (allegedly).  By the way, autocorrect - though that's my computer not the Res Hist site turns "yogh" into "yoga" and I have to go back and change it manually.

Lady, thank you very much for this interesting item (at least interesting to me...). One learns each day something new on this board.
Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptySat 19 Jan 2019, 21:20

A YouTube video about some more "lost letters" - lost in English anyway.  I knew some of them - the old-fashioned s that looked a bit like an f - but not all.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptySat 19 Jan 2019, 23:33

Has this thread become truncated?  I'm sure it was longer than 3 pages.  I was trying to find the discussion of hair dye (it wasn't under the sumptuary laws thread) but I've had no luck.  I thought this thread was rather a general discussion thread and thought it might be the one but no it only seems to be 3 pages long.  I did a search on "dye" but had no luck.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptySun 20 Jan 2019, 09:03

LiR, I think Nordmann truncates threads when they get to about 20 pages, but the older pages are still viewable. Go to 'Home', scroll down towards the bottom of the list of subject areas, and in 'The Pub' you'll see 'The Tumbleweed Suite'. If you click on that you'll see the current live thread, plus two earlier archived ones, each of 20 pages. Our assorted ramblings and pearls of wisdom are all still there, though I haven't searched through to see if the discussion of hair dye is amongst them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Tumbleweed Suite

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 20Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next