A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Statues - aids or hindrances to historical education?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Priscilla
Censura

Statues - aids or hindrances to historical education? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Statues - aids or hindrances to historical education?   Statues - aids or hindrances to historical education? - Page 2 EmptyWed 08 Jul 2020, 09:00

I have never associated nordmann with applied paraphrasing - tho on reflection, I suppose in those long posts his condensed style already is. If I    attempt to read them I first do a quick scan to  find any commas and to spot the main clause. I am far tou frail to get my mind round some of it. 

As    for the topic, to be honest I have rarely been interested in  people statues in situ apart from appreciating the added ambience to a view. The reasons for putting up one and by whom is often telling of its time, however. Memorials are so very different from expressive art forms. And memorials.....where did that begin? Single standing stones? Cairns?  That someone needs to attempt a permanent memorial to someone or a notion reflects what in humans?
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Statues - aids or hindrances to historical education?   Statues - aids or hindrances to historical education? - Page 2 EmptyWed 08 Jul 2020, 11:58

Priscilla wrote:
I have never associated nordmann with applied paraphrasing - tho on reflection, I suppose in those long posts his condensed style already is. If I    attempt to read them I first do a quick scan to  find any commas and to spot the main clause. I am far tou frail to get my mind round some of it. 

As    for the topic, to be honest I have rarely been interested in  people statues in situ apart from appreciating the added ambience to a view. The reasons for putting up one and by whom is often telling of its time, however. Memorials are so very different from expressive art forms. And memorials.....where did that begin? Single standing stones? Cairns?  That someone needs to attempt a permanent memorial to someone or a notion reflects what in humans?

Thank you very much for your "clarification?" (éclaircissement), Priscilla. Although I still don't understand the context (the one from nordmann I mean. I hope he will not blame me as someone "dur de comprenure" (seems to be Belgian French/Flemish and Quebecois)), I was immediately moved this morning opening "Res Historica", by the exchange between you and MM about among others the subcontinent...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: Statues - aids or hindrances to historical education?   Statues - aids or hindrances to historical education? - Page 2 EmptySun 21 Apr 2024, 17:17

Temperance wrote:
the statue of Queen Victoria that may be seen in Kensington Gardens. It shows the young monarch, but was actually erected in 1893.

And remarkably it was erected during her own lifetime and reign. Today sees the first public statue unveiled to Queen Elizabeth II:

Statue of Queen Elizabeth II in Oakham

It's somewhat significant that it took place in Rutland. The reason being that Rutlandshire was a key part of the bridal lands bequeathed to the queens consort of the kings of England. These queenslands were to found dotted in various thorpes and sokes across the kingdom but Rutland was the largest as virtually the whole shire was the queen's personal estate. The links were strong. For instance, the village of Edith Weston (halfway between Oakham and Stamford) is named for Edward the Confessor's queen. The custom, however, fell away after the Norman conquest. It seems somewhat fitting, therefore, that the old queensland of Rutland should be the first to honour the late monarch as a queen in her own right.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Statues - aids or hindrances to historical education?   Statues - aids or hindrances to historical education? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Statues - aids or hindrances to historical education?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2