A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Anglicanism in England

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

Anglicanism in England Empty
PostSubject: Anglicanism in England   Anglicanism in England EmptySun 08 Nov 2020, 19:36

Looking during this second lockdown to the series of Grantchester about among others an Anglican Vicar. The first series that I saw I guess now Season 3, while it was still James Norton as the Anglican vicar.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grantchester_(TV_series)

As I have had always had difficulties to understand the history and organisation of the Anglican Church as it seems, at least for me, such a puzzle...as for instance its relations with the British Crown...and on the BBC messageboard in the time they spoke about a high church and a low church...

And a specific question about Anglicanism: As the series plays start of the Fifties, and as I have this period seen from inside the Belgian community, I wonder if the attitudes towards for instance homosexuality, abortus and other thorny questions had the same evolution as overhere in Belgium.
I have the impression that the Anglicans, according to what I saw, if it is of course reality what I saw in the series and what I read in the common press, that Anglicanism is faster evoluted towards a more open and less condamning attitude than overhere in Belgium the Roman Catholic Church.

As the regular contributors to this board are mostly British and have, I suppose, more inside information than a Belgian from abroad I would appreciate if there was one, who wants to give is views from inside the British society.
We had already a thread about homosexuality started by Caro, if I remember it well, about a book that she read.
I from my side, will try to make the comparison with the Belgian Roman Catholic attitudes overhere and not only about homosexuality, but also about other thorny questions about religion based behaviour as towards abortus and so on.

Paul.
Back to top Go down

Anglicanism in England

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1