A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Otzi

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Caro
Censura
Caro

Otzi  Empty
PostSubject: Otzi    Otzi  EmptySat 09 Jan 2021, 04:02

I had never heard of this man till I was reading Bill Bryson's At Home. The trouble with Bryson is that so many of his stories of the people involved are so interesting you want to find more about them and that means you would never finish the book. In the chapter I am reading now, called the dressing room, he begins with the story of Otzi (his name has a diacron on the O, but even in Word I can’t seem to reproduce it), a skeleton found in the South Tyrolean Alps. I had never heard of this, but he was a prehistoric man preserved in the snow, with his belongings still identifiable. Bryson says he is the most forensically studied human in history, so I don’t know why I have never of this before. They could see what he ate on the day of his death (ibex and deer meat, spelt bread, some unidentified vegetables). Then there is his clothing (fur leggings with leather strips, goatskin and the fur of a brown bear) and equipment – 18 different types of wood and a copper-bladed axe. And that is just the first two pages of a chapter which goes on to discuss the importance of string, linen and hemp (though I found his description of the flax, “grows tall – up to four feet”) a bit dubious  – we have harakeke (the Maori word for the native flax that grows here) and it has leaves and flowers much taller than that.

Otzi's  remains are in a archeological museum in Bolzano, a German-speaking city in the north of Italy. I didn't know there were such places. But then I don't know much about European places beyond the most famous ones. 

What do you know about this? 
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

Otzi  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Otzi    Otzi  EmptySat 09 Jan 2021, 10:42

Ötzi went "on tour" a few years back (minus the remains) and arrived in the National Museum in Oslo. I found the exhibition very interesting, if not quite worth all the hype that surrounded it.

Bryson might be exaggerating a little about the "most forensically studied" bit too, after all much of the expertise used to study his remains had been acquired from exactly the same procedures applied to other well preserved ancient remains. The National Museum in Dublin, for example, mounted what was meant to be a temporary exhibition of "bog bodies" a few years ago and it's still in full swing there, so popular did it prove. Every few months they run seminars and lectures connected to the bodies explaining, amongst other things, how they have been forensically examined and how this is a never-ending process as the techniques available become more sophisticated over time. Ôtzi gets quite a few mentions - quite a few countries, including Irish and UK universities which have many decades of expertise in this area now, contributed to the research surrounding his corpse.

The really interesting aspect to the Ötzi story, I found, was the hugely acrimonious competition that quickly blew up around his discovery over which country had first dibs on making money out of him - sorry, I mean leading the forensic examination. He had the bad manners to conk out right on a modern international border. This more than anything else seems to have fuelled the hype also, as each of the interested parties claimed superiority regarding how best to examine him. The result has been the whole forensic kitchen sink flung at the poor sod, though I'm not complaining as it has produced some excellent results with profound implications for the understanding of late neolithic settlement in the European interior.
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
Caro
Censura
Caro

Otzi  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Otzi    Otzi  EmptySat 09 Jan 2021, 21:22

Yes, Bryson mentioned he was found on the border of Austria and Italy and it caused something of a furore before it was decided in Italy's favour after a legal battle. (Found by Austrians, I gather). I do notice when I read Bryson's travel books that his humour which I love does come from exaggeration often. But I am not well-enough familiar with history to know what is exaggerated in these books. I only know that I am enjoying it very much and learning a lot (which I will have forgotten in two days!). 

I did think that John Snow was given credit for finding drinking water and the germs therein was the source of disease in London, but Bryson said not in his lifetime.
Back to top Go down
Green George
Censura
Green George

Otzi  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Otzi    Otzi  EmptySun 10 Jan 2021, 21:59

Snow did establish that contaminated water was the cause of the Broad Street pump outbreak, but he had died before Robert Koch isolated Vibrio cholerae as the bacterium that causes cholera.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Otzi  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Otzi    Otzi  Empty

Back to top Go down

Otzi

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: The history of people ... :: Individuals-