A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Nuclear family a history

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

Nuclear family a history Empty
PostSubject: Nuclear family a history   Nuclear family a history EmptySat 20 Mar 2021, 21:28

With all my investigations about "sleeping together" under one roof, 

I wanted to look how a nuclear family evolved during the centuries.

I came to the term because I wanted to start about a household of two persons and eventual children from one of the partners, from the two, or adopted children...

And there seems only one term for that? and it is "nuclear family" (famille nucléaire, kerngezin, Kernfamilie)

And there seem to be some controversies about the roots of that "nuclear family"
As one read this american Institute for family studies
https://ifstudies.org/blog/the-real-roots-of-the-nuclear-family/
And yes it is perhaps a specific phenomenon to the Western Europe of the Middle Ages?
What I retained from this article was that they mentioned already a nuclear family in England from the 13th century on...and for me was that not so abnormal, as I was nearly sure that it existed already in the Duchy of Flanders and later in the Burgundian time...

And the history of the nuclear family from a business point of view?
https://bebusinessed.com/history/history-nuclear-families/
And again the nuclear family in England from the 13th century on?

Searching for the history of the nuclear family in the Low Countries I came to this:
https://www.bol.com/nl/p/prinsen-en-poorters/666847162/
https://www.dbnl.org/tekst/prev002prin01_01/prev002prin01_01_0010.php

And I point here especially to the "poorters" (burghers?) from that book:
http://www.etymologiebank.nl/trefwoord/poorter1

The burghers had more rights than every one of the same status in that specific time...
"Stadslucht maakt vrij"
https://historum.com/threads/urban-air-liberates-you-after-a-year-and-one-day.51453/page-3
in English: "city air makes free"?...

From the book: "Prinsen en Poorters" that I just mentioned:
they take the city "Ieper" (Ypres) as example:
"In de periode 1412-37 telde een gemiddeld gezin in het industriële leper slechts 3,2 à 3,7 leden, maar in de welstellender wijken van de stad woonden tal van grote gezinnen en bedroeg dat gemiddelde 4,2. Er waren dus meerdere modellen. De omvang varieerde sterk: in 1412 bestond 23,3% van de gezinnen uit twee personen, 21,3% uit drie, 13,4% uit vier, 21,7% uit vijf en meer, en niet minder dan 20,3% uit alleenwonenden. Grote gezinnen waren in Ieper het gevolg van een groot kindertal of de aanwezigheid van huispersoneel. 14,1% van de gezinnen had meer dan vijf kinderen, 25,2% meer dan vier. In 1506 beschikten in de rijkste Ieperse wijk 149 op 489 gezinnen, 30% dus, over"

Average family: 3.2 0 3.7 members. 1412: 23.3%  two members, 21.3 three, 13.4 four and 21.7 five or more, but 20.3 lived alone!

Of course was the Catholic church guiding it all along their rules. But you don't believe it they let a loophole Wink :

"Hetzelfde Concilie liet een achterpoortje open: de formule van het clandestiene huwelijk, dat slechts de vrije instemming der partners en een geslaagde coïtus vereiste, niet de aanwezigheid van een priester. Het was geldig voor de twaalfde-eeuwse Kerk binnen de logica van de consensustheorie, van het onverbrekelijk sacrament en van de individuele verantwoordelijkheid van de gelovige tegenover God. Hiermee was de Kerk de normen van de burgerlijke samenleving een eind vooruit."

The formula of the "clandestine" marriage: only the free consent of the partners and a "succesful" coitus. And there had not to be an official ceremony with a priest. And they founded it in the "consensus theory". But after a while they regretted it for the lack of money if there was no ceremony...and they changed the rules...

As I read the article from the book mentioned about the nuclear family in the 15th century in Burgundy, I think in the Europe of that time they were the most modern and emancipated, perhaps together with England. And perhaps in the world! Wink of those days?
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

Nuclear family a history Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nuclear family a history   Nuclear family a history EmptySun 21 Mar 2021, 15:05

Addendum:
I mentioned yesterday from the book:
https://www.bol.com/nl/p/prinsen-en-poorters/666847162/
the emancipated role of the women in the Low Countries in the Burgundian times but didn't explain.

From the survey on that site:
De centrale hypothese in dit boek is dat de interne dynamiek en de externe invloeden in de Lage Landen prachtig op elkaar hebben ingespeeld. De vroege politieke emancipatie van grote delen van de samenleving en de selectieve imitatie van buitenlandse voorbeelden verklaren waarom de intermenselijke relaties in de Nederlanden van de vijftiende eeuw zo "progressief" aandoen. Dat geldt in de eerste plaats voor de vergevorderde emancipatie van de vrouw, het kind en het kerngezin. Kenmerkend is bijvoorbeeld de aandacht die aan de opvoeding van meisjes werd besteed: doordat ze een opleiding kregen die niet voor die van hun broers moest onderdoen, waren ze ook weerbaarder in het beroepsleven. (Franse theologen waren overigens niet te spreken over het feit dat Vlaamse ouders hun zonen en dochters samen in bed durfden te stoppen.) Daarenboven waren er de stevige juridische positie van de vrouw, vooral de weduwe, en de ruimdenkende houding inzake bastaardkinderen. Ik verwijs ook naar de behoorlijke organisatie van de sociale vangnetten voor armen, onvermogende studenten en bejaarden, en naar het dichte net van hospitalen en opvangcentra. In sommige steden werd bovendien een systeem van erfrecht en huwelijksgoederenrecht geïntroduceerd dat de continuïteit van kleinschalige familieondernemingen in de hand werkte. Daardoor kon die originele economische formule zich ontwikkelen naast de vroeg-kapitalistische industrietakken en de klassieke ambachten en neringen.

From google translation the essential of this text:

...why the interprofessional realtions in the 15th century Low Countries are so "progessive"...
This applies in the in the first place to the advanced emancipation of women, children and the nuclear family. Characteristic, for example, is the attention paid to the upbringing of girls: because they received an education that was not inferior to that of their brothers, they were also more resilient in professional life...
...In addition, there was the strong legal position of the woman, especially the widow, and the open-minded attitude towards bastard children...
...in addition, in some cities a system of inheritance law and matrimonial property law was introduced that facilitated the continuity of smal-scale family businesses. This allowed this original economic formula to develop alongside the early capitalist branches of industry and the classic crafts and trade...
Back to top Go down

Nuclear family a history

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1