A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Nicholas Winton

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

Nicholas Winton Empty
PostSubject: Nicholas Winton   Nicholas Winton EmptySun 11 Apr 2021, 16:56

I saw yesterday a documentary about him on the French language Belgian TV...
Perhaps as I see it now he is perhaps better known in the UK than overhere. It seems to be all started by the BBC in That's life in 1988. In any case I hadn't heard about him till yesterday. And I can only say: What a life!
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-berkshire-30895961
From the site:
He rescued 669 children destined for Nazi concentration camps from Czechoslovakia as the outbreak of World War Two loomed.

For the details:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Winton
And from the Australian "60 minutes
https://9now.nine.com.au/60-minutes

And after such a life and his work for care houses...106...
I prefer this one above all the "poeha" (fuss?) about another celebrity, who was it again? nearing one hundred...
Back to top Go down
nisso8090
Quaestor
nisso8090

Nicholas Winton Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nicholas Winton   Nicholas Winton EmptyMon 31 May 2021, 14:41

good man
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

Nicholas Winton Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nicholas Winton   Nicholas Winton EmptyWed 02 Jun 2021, 00:05

Indeed yes. And the range of emotions that a parent goes through when handing over their child. During a war time situation when most were evacuated from bombing I handed my child to people I knew a little but not friends to board an evacuation flight headed we knew not where, She had a little bag - slippers not shoes, because it all happened so fast and a piece of paper with my parent's telephone name and number. It was several days before we heard where the flights had hopped about to reach UK. The airport was crowded with tense people parting - mainly women and children  leaving- and also people having to abandon their pets there. Surviving the bombing with a few hairy adventures - including straffing, shortages and more, I did not see my daughter for several months. She was six.
So I read stories of great people like Winton with a jot of understanding - and with great admiration  and also suffer again the emotions of the families handing over their children  in deep anguish mixed with relief.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Nicholas Winton Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nicholas Winton   Nicholas Winton Empty

Back to top Go down

Nicholas Winton

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: The history of people ... :: Individuals-