A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Long Eleventh Century

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ComicMonster
Consulatus
ComicMonster

Long Eleventh Century Empty
PostSubject: Long Eleventh Century   Long Eleventh Century EmptyFri 21 Jul 2023, 15:27

Hi everyone! 
I am translating a book of medieval history and come across an expression I have already found in my 128 stock of translated books, but I am unable to remember its meaning.

Quote :
The Archaeology of Sicily in the Long Eleventh Century

The problem is obviously this "long" added to "Eleventh Century". I'll bet it should mean something like "the Eleventh Century and a little bit more", for which I think I can find a convenient Spanish equivalence. But it might also have a more specific, or even totally different, meaning, and I wouldn't like to screw it up…

Thanks for your kind answers once more.

Best regards,

CM
Back to top Go down
https://vueltaalmundo.es.tl
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Long Eleventh Century   Long Eleventh Century EmptyFri 21 Jul 2023, 21:00

Comic Monster - from some googling:-

"This paper is an attempt to construct a prosopography of Kentish moneyers in the long eleventh century, that is, from c. 973 to 1135This paper is an attempt to construct a prosopography of Kentish moneyers in the long eleventh century, that is, from c. 973 to 1135"  from https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.7722/j.ctt1x73z8  - the twelfth subheading from the top, more particularly from "THE MONEYERS OF KENT IN THE LONG ELEVENTH CENTURY
(pp. 33-60)
Hirokazu Tsurushima
https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.7722/j.ctt1x73z8.10 "

The website has to be accessed via an academic institution though.

Another paper from another University gives slightly different dates:-

https://eprints.lancs.ac.uk/id/eprint/74369/1/2015CornellDuHouxPhD.pdf

This pdf can be accessed online without too much fun and on the second line of the second page of the Introduction refers to "(more precisely c.970-c.1120, sometimes called here the ‘long eleventh century’)"

So you are correct that it means the 11th century with some extra time tagged on to it.  Exactly what extra time though I'm not sure because searching on the internet brought two different time periods up for me - though they weren't vastly different.
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: Long Eleventh Century   Long Eleventh Century EmptySat 22 Jul 2023, 14:48

In the motorcycling fraternity the term ‘topping the ton’ means exceeding 100 miles per hour while ‘topping the long ton’ means exceeding 120 miles per hour. The ton was first topped (by an Indian Scout 606 cc) in 1920 while the long ton was topped (by a Zenith 680 cc) in 1928.

The term ‘long ton’ in motorcycle terms, however, is potentially misleading. This is because in terms of units of mass a ‘long ton’ (commonly called a ton) is 2,240 lb in weight while a short ton is 2,000 lb. Meanwhile a ‘tonne’ (or metric ton) is 1000 kg. 

The chronological terms ‘long centuries’ and ‘long decades’ are not strictly defined but are merely tools used by some historians to fit existing epochal concepts to certain eras such as ‘the long Eighteenth Century (1690-1820)’ or ‘the long Nineteen-Sixties (1958-1972)’ etc. I’m sure you’d be safe to use the Spanish equivalent.
Back to top Go down
ComicMonster
Consulatus
ComicMonster

PostSubject: Re: Long Eleventh Century   Long Eleventh Century EmptyMon 24 Jul 2023, 07:27

Hello, LadyinRetirement and Vizzer,

thanks a lot for your answer; it clarifies it all.
Sorry about the delayed answer; —the weekend is to be blamed, I should say… Embarassed

Really grateful again Smile

Take care
Back to top Go down
https://vueltaalmundo.es.tl
Tim of Aclea
Triumviratus Rei Publicae Constituendae
Tim of Aclea

PostSubject: Re: Long Eleventh Century   Long Eleventh Century EmptySat 05 Aug 2023, 09:38

One of my courses in my recently completed History degree was on 'The British Isles and the Modern World 1789 to 1914' what was described as 'The Long Nineteenth Century'

Tim
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Long Eleventh Century   Long Eleventh Century EmptySun 06 Aug 2023, 10:12

Tim of Aclea wrote:
... 1789 to 1914 ... described as 'The Long Nineteenth Century'

... which in European history makes complete sense as it denotes the period between the start of the French Revolution and the outbreak of the Great War - and all the seismic changes those events prompted.

Similarly LiR's suggested definition of the 'Long Eleventh Century (the specific subject or this thread) as being between the 970s and 1135 .... well, that comprises the period in English history from the reign of Edward the Martyr (975-978) up to the death of Henry I, the last son of William the Conqueror. For England it thus comprises the period which saw renewed Danish invasions leading to the Danish conquest of England in 1013, followed in 1066 by the Norman conquest which was effectively concluded during Henry I's long reign, and whose death in 1135 without a male heir prompted the bitter civil war, known simply at the time as The Anarchy, but which ultimately led to the long-lasting Plantagenet dynasty who would rule England for the next 300 years.
Back to top Go down
Tim of Aclea
Triumviratus Rei Publicae Constituendae
Tim of Aclea

PostSubject: Re: Long Eleventh Century   Long Eleventh Century EmptySun 06 Aug 2023, 14:23

I agree that the period 1789 to 1914 makes sense, but there is a certain irony that what was a course on British history began and ended with two European Events.  One assignment went even earlier to the Gordon Riots of 1780.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Long Eleventh Century   Long Eleventh Century Empty

Back to top Go down

Long Eleventh Century

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1