A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Enfidaville (part 3)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tim of Aclea
Triumviratus Rei Publicae Constituendae
Tim of Aclea

Enfidaville (part 3) Empty
PostEnfidaville (part 3)

At this time the 56th Division consisted of three infantry brigades, one of which was the 169th (London) Brigade which was made up of the 2/5th, 2/6th and 2/7th Queens Royal Regiments. The 2/6th QRR was made up of four companies A, B, C and D plus a Head Quarters company. Each of A, B, C and D companies was made up of A, B and C platoon. In each platoon there was a lieutenant, a sergeant, two corporals and one lance corporal. The company was made up of a captain (Basil Bateman) plus batman (John Whittle), a company sergeant major (Mr Hearden) plus batman, a quarter-master sergeant or corporal for supplies, one small anti-tank gun, 2” mortars, three bren guns and about 60 to 80 privates soldiers. The Head Quarters company was made up of catering, transport, medical, signals, carriers, 3” mortars and pioneers. The transport consisted of 15 cwt and 3 ton lorries and jeeps. Commanding the 2nd/6th QRR was the Battalion Head Quarters which was made up of the Commanding officer (Lieutenant Colonel), Assistant Commanding Officer (Major), Adjutant (Captain), Regimental Quartermaster (Captain), Regimental Sergeant Major, Royal Army Chaplain (Captain) and a number of other ranks.

The division joined the 8th Army for the battle of Enfidaville lasting from 19th to 29th April 1943. ‘The Eighth Army’s attack at Enfidaville, with three infantry divisions, met tough opposition in the hills bordering the coastal strip, and suffered a costly check – belying the optimistic belief of Montgomery and Horrocks [corps commander] that the enemy could be ‘bounced’ out of this bottleneck. The Italians here fought as vigorously as the Germans.’ Liddel Hart – History of the Second World War

On Wednesday, April 23rd 1943 I wrote to Vera ‘Throughout these three and a half years of war we have been preserved by the faith and valour of others. Now it is our turn to play our part and do our bit to help finish this horrible war. Things have moved my darling at breakneck speed that has left us gasping. And now, before I lay my weary head and sleep once more I find myself thinking of the past and of the future. I think of you lying in bed safely at home with baby snuggled by your side, while here, the blasting of cannons reverberates through the hills and we face tomorrow and all the tomorrows.’

‘Do you remember that date we arranged after the war love? I promised to take you and baby and maybe Jack, Edith and their children to Devon. I will do my best to keep that date, but my darling if I should not be able to turn up on that day be a brave girl and hold your head up and smile and look at our lovely daughter and say "there is John".’

‘As I face, like thousands more, the dangers and hazards of my task I feel from the sights I have seen that it is better to fight this way than to accept German rule.’

Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Enfidaville (part 3) :: Comments

No Comment.

Enfidaville (part 3)

Page 1 of 1