A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Hall End Farm, Rangeworthy, Gloucestershire

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
nordmann
Nobiles BarbariƦ
nordmann

Hall End Farm, Rangeworthy, Gloucestershire Empty
PostSubject: Hall End Farm, Rangeworthy, Gloucestershire   Hall End Farm, Rangeworthy, Gloucestershire EmptyWed 10 Oct 2012, 14:54

Some years ago Andrew Young, whose independent Avon Archaeological Unit conducts quite a bit of work around the Avon area, found a Roman town under a field in David Isaac's farm near Thornbury. He had been trying to trace a lost Roman road at the time which might have run from Bath to Gloucester and was approached by Isaac after a public meeting to come around and see some of the small artefacts he, his father and grandfather had found while tilling in a certain area of their farm. The geophysical survey was astounding as at the very first attempt the results displayed not only Young's road but a network of dwellings on either side, the hint of a walled fortification, and tantalising evidence pointing to the forgotten town's one-time importance in the area during Roman times.

Anyone know what the latest news about this site is? This programme was from 2010 but featured a dig from some years previously.

Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: Hall End Farm, Rangeworthy, Gloucestershire   Hall End Farm, Rangeworthy, Gloucestershire EmptyWed 10 Oct 2012, 15:53

There seems to be very little on line and it suggests that nothing more has happened since 2004. http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archsearch/record.jsf?titleId=1820190
This is the most I can find but there is a archaeological report - somewhere.

BLACKLANDS, HALL END FARM

Blacklands, Hall End Farm, South Gloucestershire. Archaeological Evaluation Project
Young, A C Bristol : Avon Archaeological Unit, 2002, 35pp, colour pls, figs, tabs, refs

Work undertaken by: Avon Archaeological Unit

The evaluation was carried out in an area where previous geophysical survey had revealed anomalies relating to archaeological remains. The trenches generally confirmed the geophysical data, and revealed a series of extensive and well-preserved Roman structures and deposits just below the modern ground surface. The principal features located included the metalled Roman Road, up to 11m wide and with evidence for earlier boundary ditches and later stone kerbing, a series of stone buildings and
evidence for ditch-digging activity. A significant assemblage of finds were recovered, mostly dating to the later Roman period, including fine tableware, coins, decorated glass and structural metalwork. The site proved to be a large, important and previously unknown rural roadside settlement, and represented the first non-villa settlement of this scale to be discovered in South Gloucestershire. It was thought to reflect the principal focus of local settlement in this area at this time. [Au(abr)]
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: Hall End Farm, Rangeworthy, Gloucestershire   Hall End Farm, Rangeworthy, Gloucestershire EmptyWed 10 Oct 2012, 16:43

I'm puzzled as to why a potentially important site such as this has seemingly gone by the wayside.

Lack of funding perhaps? Or is it merely as simple as the owner not giving his permission for an extensive dig? Excavating a site that size in the middle of a working farm would cut a sizeable chunk out of the farmers yearly income, I'd imagine. But I'm not up with where laws stand in a situation like this.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: Hall End Farm, Rangeworthy, Gloucestershire   Hall End Farm, Rangeworthy, Gloucestershire EmptyWed 10 Oct 2012, 17:33

I've just noticed that the ADS listing does say 'work continues' so perhaps there is more to come.

Ah, it's scheduled so that explains a lot. This is better. Heavens, the English system makes finding this stuff out really difficult.

http://list.english-heritage.org.uk/resultsingle.aspx?uid=1021404
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles BarbariƦ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Hall End Farm, Rangeworthy, Gloucestershire   Hall End Farm, Rangeworthy, Gloucestershire EmptyThu 11 Oct 2012, 11:37

Thanks for that, ferval.

The impression I got in the programme was that the Isaac family were as enthusiastic as the archaeologists so I am sure that further investigation is not being obstructed by them. Moreover, now that the info has been made public I imagine there is a growing threat from illegal metal detectorists and the like. I see also that land very close nearby has been earmarked by the council as a halting site for itinerants and that local opposition to this is highlighting the fact that the site has been listed as a monument. I imagine this should also help concentrate the minds a little, if not the funds.
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hall End Farm, Rangeworthy, Gloucestershire   Hall End Farm, Rangeworthy, Gloucestershire Empty

Back to top Go down

Hall End Farm, Rangeworthy, Gloucestershire

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1