A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

The Mitford Sisters

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gran
Consulatus
Gran

The Mitford Sisters Empty
PostSubject: The Mitford Sisters   The Mitford Sisters EmptyMon 29 Oct 2012, 05:56

I have been working my way through books about these ladies, what an interesting lot they were, and was wondering if anyone knew anything about Unity and the son she is supposed to have had who was adopted, does anyone know if a Govt. department followed his life, and his descendents lives?

The Mitford Sisters Mitford_sisters
Back to top Go down
Gran
Consulatus
Gran

PostSubject: Re: The Mitford Sisters   The Mitford Sisters EmptyWed 31 Oct 2012, 19:19

I thought someone may know about Hitlers Son!!!
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: The Mitford Sisters   The Mitford Sisters EmptyFri 02 Nov 2012, 06:55

Gran wrote:
I thought someone may know about Hitlers Son!!!

Hi Gran - wasn't the Hitler's Baby story discredited? Unity is thought to have had an affair with an RAF officer and to have given birth to an illegitimate child, but I believe even that is disputed. I dislike the Mitford girls intensely - and all their glittering, fashionable set, but nevertheless fascinating stories, I agree!
Back to top Go down
Gran
Consulatus
Gran

PostSubject: Re: The Mitford Sisters   The Mitford Sisters EmptyFri 02 Nov 2012, 23:06

I was wondering about this Temp, it was you who started me on these ladies with your mention of reading Debo's book it was indeed boring as you say. I have just given up on Diana Mosley, however I had almost finished it, if they re-published it today they would probably censor it especially the part about when the West Indians started to arrive in the country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rbP6iGj9UM

The thing that puzzled me about this set was their ability to wander about Europe and live wherever they wanted when the rest of us were only allowed to take 20 pounds out of the country.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: The Mitford Sisters   The Mitford Sisters EmptyFri 02 Nov 2012, 23:32

Oh but there were ways and means Gran, even for the plebs like us. In 1967 I cashed British Linen Bank cheques with Jimmy the Indian in Las Palmas and those eventually went through Barclay's in Gibraltar. No doubt the toffs had rather more refined ways of getting at their cash than in a back street bazaar.
Back to top Go down
Gran
Consulatus
Gran

PostSubject: Re: The Mitford Sisters   The Mitford Sisters EmptySat 03 Nov 2012, 02:24

Oh dear I was so naive back then, probably still am!!!
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: The Mitford Sisters   The Mitford Sisters EmptySat 03 Nov 2012, 21:05

Didn't find them *boring*, Gran - just bloody *infuriating*!

I don't often feel the urge to hit people over the head with a blunt instrument - not my usual style at all - but I'm afraid I could have made an exception for Lady Diana Mosley.

Have you read "The Mitford Girls" by Mary S. Lovell?

Last edited by Temperance on Sun 04 Nov 2012, 07:18; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gran
Consulatus
Gran

PostSubject: Re: The Mitford Sisters   The Mitford Sisters EmptySat 03 Nov 2012, 22:52

In that case Temp maybe it is a good thing that Diana has gone to the Nazi heaven. No I have not read "The Mitford Girls" is it worth reading? Poor old Baron Redesdale had 6 daughters and 1 son I guess the girls were all competing against each other, aparently when they went missing he used to get out his bloodhounds to search for them!!!

Strangely in the you tube film there is no sign of the bullet wound on Unity where she is supposed to have shot herself, her forehead seems untouched.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: The Mitford Sisters   The Mitford Sisters EmptySun 04 Nov 2012, 09:28

Unity was an odd girl - completely smitten with Hitler. Diana was more taken with Goebbels.

Oswald Mosley disliked Hitler - thought him a vulgar little man. For that set being evil was apparently OK, but vulgarity could not be tolerated.

The whole family was completely dysfunctional - dangerously so. I've honestly no time for them, Gran - I only read the book I mentioned (the one by the Duchess of Devonshire, "Debo") because I had to for our book club. It infuriated me.

PS Perhaps her hair hides the wound - she definitely ended up with a bullet lodged in her brain - it couldn't be removed. Caused her death eventually.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Mitford Sisters   The Mitford Sisters Empty

Back to top Go down

The Mitford Sisters

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1