A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Happy Christmas from Jethro

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

Happy Christmas from Jethro Empty
PostSubject: Happy Christmas from Jethro   Happy Christmas from Jethro EmptyTue 25 Dec 2012, 14:03

By way of a seasonal gesture on the part of the management: I noticed Jethro Tull Radio has gone into christmas mode so thought it might be nice to invite Ian Anderson and mates over for a bit and share a few songs with us. There's a widget on the shortcuts page one can activate to hear them. If you want to browse the site without interrupting your Tullian pleasures once you've started listening then I recommend you right-click on a link when leaving the shortcuts page, open in a new tab, and then carry on browsing in that one.

Happy Everything!

Happy Christmas from Jethro Jethro10
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Happy Christmas from Jethro   Happy Christmas from Jethro EmptyTue 25 Dec 2012, 17:04

Anyone else out there remember the Magic Village in Manchester? Jethro Tull was a regular.

"LIving in the Past" - what most of us here do, I suppose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsCyC1dZiN8&hl=en-GB&gl=GB
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: Happy Christmas from Jethro   Happy Christmas from Jethro EmptyTue 25 Dec 2012, 21:40

Quote :
Anyone else out there remember the Magic Village in Manchester?

Er no, do tell us more. Was that a precursor to Canal St?
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Happy Christmas from Jethro   Happy Christmas from Jethro EmptyWed 26 Dec 2012, 10:17

We used to go there around 1968/69 - quite illegally, I suppose, because we were very young. Our parents would have been horrified had they known where we were really going of a Friday night. But we were of course quite safe at the Magic Village - we just drank coke and listened to excellent music. I saw Jethro Tull and Fleetwood Mac there. As silly teenagers we would have been in far greater danger had we been in the audience of "Top of the Pops".

I think Canal St. is the Gay Village in Manchester now. Haven't lived up there for over twenty years, so I don't really know, ferval.

The Magic Village

At weekends we'd hang out at The Magic Village, Manchester's very own psychedelic dungeon under the proprietary gaze of the club's owner Roger Eagle. The club became a honey-pot for the North West's proto-hippie community. Its damp and cave-like atmosphere was lit and lightened by a lightshow supplied by Dave Backhouse and Martin Sheridan.

A Lightshow is Turned On

Happy Christmas from Jethro LSimage01

A series of converted 35mm slide Rank Aldiss projectors, were precariously perched on a make-do scaffolding gantry (doubtless supplied from their roofing day job) and this Heath Robinson structure provided the platform for the wonderment to begin. Two or more circles of glass, stuck together along the edges with Araldite glue were then flled with oils, washing up liquid and bubbles and a 1000 watt light passed through them to create the characteristic multi-coloured, psycedelic effects so evcative of the late sixties. These 'mind-expanding' colours and shapes danced on the top of performances by Jethro Tull, the Third Ear and Edgar Broughton Bands, to name but three of the regular acts.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura
Gilgamesh of Uruk

PostSubject: Re: Happy Christmas from Jethro   Happy Christmas from Jethro EmptyThu 27 Dec 2012, 17:03

Reminds me of outings to Chalk Farm when I was living in Essex. I know I saw "The Pink Floyd Experience" there, and memory suggests (possibly erroneously) that I also saw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbAHkb4bW5Y

Never quite got over Sonja Kristina - not sure if I want to go to the Robin 2 in April and get disillusioned or not.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Happy Christmas from Jethro   Happy Christmas from Jethro EmptySat 24 Dec 2022, 12:49

Not sure if this is the right thread, but in case I don't manage to get online tomorrow may I take the opportunity to wish all my fellow Res Historians a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Edit: As people post here of various faiths and no faith maybe I should add a 'Happy Holidays' which isn't specific to any religion - New Year doesn't apply to any particular faith of course.

Last edited by LadyinRetirement on Sat 24 Dec 2022, 19:23; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Green George
Censura
Green George

PostSubject: Re: Happy Christmas from Jethro   Happy Christmas from Jethro EmptySat 24 Dec 2022, 14:16

Grunter, rooter, snouter and tusker bring the Hogfather's greetings to all of our correspondents! Don't forget to leave the Big Man a pork pie  and glass of sherry (scumble accepted as a substitute - but only for the pie)
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: Happy Christmas from Jethro   Happy Christmas from Jethro EmptySat 24 Dec 2022, 20:22

It's absolutely the right thread LiR and timely too. Only the other day someone was asking me what the name was of that carol was which was in Latin. Scratching my head I suggested that there were quite a few and proffered Adeste Fideles. "No not that one" came the reply. "Well what about Personent hodie?" I said. "No, no - it's the one which sounds like yokels singing it, y'know like Jethro Tull or someone". "Ah!" I said "It's by Steeleye Span":

Gaudete!

P.S. 'Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year' is great by me. I think that 'Blythe Yuletide' (although accurate and quaint) is maybe a bit contrived.
Back to top Go down
Caro
Censura
Caro

PostSubject: Re: Happy Christmas from Jethro   Happy Christmas from Jethro EmptySun 25 Dec 2022, 22:55

Yes, I don't know anyone here in Aotearoa/New Zealand who doesn't use Merry Christmas. All my family are non-religious and we all wish everyone Merry Christmas. I find the idea of Happy Holidays an American abomination. 
Our Christmas Day was yesterday so today we are having a quiet Boxing Day. I have just finished my morning coffee using a delicate and very tiny cup and saucer set. I usually have my coffee in small cups. And we have just said good bye to my son and his new partner, who were down for a few days from Christchurch.
Back to top Go down
Green George
Censura
Green George

PostSubject: Re: Happy Christmas from Jethro   Happy Christmas from Jethro EmptyMon 26 Dec 2022, 17:53

Increasingly common to hear "Happy" rather than "Merry". Methodists etc. who have teetotal affiliations (and AA, I'm told) don't like the booze implications of the "M" word.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Happy Christmas from Jethro   Happy Christmas from Jethro Empty

Back to top Go down

Happy Christmas from Jethro

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1