A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15
AuthorMessage
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 15 EmptySat 26 Dec 2020, 19:08

I cannot see any suspect links within the stuff that people have posted on that page, but it could be true that one or more of the adsense advertisements generated by Forumotion are themselves dodgy. These change according to each person based on location, cookies, etc, so I cannot know exactly if this is the case.

However I strongly recommend you use an ad-blocker anyway. They are free to use and install and improve your browsing experience no end anyway.

These are the two I am currently using in Chrome myself. I recommend you install them immediately and then see if things have improved:

AdBlock Plus

AdBlock

They are two versions of the same program but use slightly different whitelists so work best when bot are used, I have found.
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 15 EmptySun 27 Dec 2020, 14:24

I used to have adblock on my desktop computer before it conked out but I've found that its memory consuming on the laptop.  Mind you it's not like my laptop is 'high end'.  It doesn't work for Res Historica of course but if there is a video with ads (and most do have ads) that I want to watch I copy its YouTube/Vimeo/Dailymotion or whatever address into VLC media player where the video will play without ads.  I originally downloaded VLC in the hope of being able to use it with my foot pedals which I bought to play audio tapes so that I didn't have to take my hands off the keyboard to go forward or back but I haven't been able to hook VLC to Pedable yet.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 15 EmptyMon 28 Dec 2020, 17:14

nordmann, I just had the same difficulties now on this "adjustments forum", that I mentioned on the "you tubes" site to read the last message of Vizzer and that when I enter with "Chrome" and as I enter with "Explorer" as I now do, it works as you see.

So I couldn't read anymore your help: AdBlock Plus AdBlock
I will give it a go on Chrome and thank you for the help.

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 15 EmptyTue 23 Feb 2021, 11:33

The point of this thread is to relay adjustments to the site, report technical problems with the site, or to request assistance with some problem related to the site. Please discuss issues concerning use of your own computer or telephone in some other thread or perhaps a more relevant forum. If you wish to reply to this notice please do so by PM.

Keeping the thread on track without irrelevant diversions being posted helps others use it as a potential reference point for issues they may experience with the site which may already have been addressed.
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 15 EmptyThu 03 Jun 2021, 20:25

nordmann wrote:
I cannot see any suspect links within the stuff that people have posted on that page, but it could be true that one or more of the adsense advertisements generated by Forumotion are themselves dodgy. These change according to each person based on location, cookies, etc, so I cannot know exactly if this is the case.

Funnily enuff - the 'Control and use of your personal data' pop-up message which one gets when accessing Res Historica was today in some Scandinavian language (I'll assume Norwegian). I clicked out because I couldn't understand it and when I went back in it was in English. My curiosity spiked, however, I tried to replicate it (i.e. the Norwegian message) by going back out and back in again but now it just keeps coming up in French. It's never been in French before either as far as I can recall but that sort of make sense as Forumotion is based in France. I now regret not having taken a screen shot of the Norwegian message for comparison's sake.

P.S. The above is not a complaint - just a point of interest.
Back to top Go down
Caro
Censura
Caro

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 15 EmptyTue 08 Jun 2021, 00:59

I seem to be getting an ad which blocks my screen when I come here first but if I log in again it has disappeared. No, I don't even have to log in, usually that happens automatically but today when I was in the site I had to log in to reply. But I have to start again somehow.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 15 Empty

Back to top Go down

Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 15 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: Introductions ... :: Intros, polls, etc appear here-