A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

The Great Historical Captions Challenge!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptySun 27 Jan 2013, 12:12

The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 Gonzale
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptySun 27 Jan 2013, 12:55

It had seemed funny at the time, but Holbein quickly realised that his "He's Such a Little Monkey!" portrait of Prince Edward hadn't gone down too well with Big Daddy.

Last edited by Temperance on Wed 30 Jan 2013, 14:06; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptySun 27 Jan 2013, 13:02

The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 18149613_manpipe
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptySun 27 Jan 2013, 13:35

Although last night's haggis left wee Angus feeling under the weather, his gaseous state enabled the finest playing of the pipes heard to date.
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptySun 27 Jan 2013, 13:43

The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 T9GDnh
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptySun 27 Jan 2013, 13:47

This isn't a caption offering ... I'm just intrigued to know what that photo's about ID? They all seem a bit young to be Beatles' fans. So what's the occasion? ....... and you might prefer to delay your answer to that until someone has posted a "caption"... I'd hate to be instrumental in have prejudicing someone's creative juices. Wink

Last edited by Meles meles on Sun 27 Jan 2013, 13:54; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptySun 27 Jan 2013, 13:53

Nah the answer shouldn't effect anyone's creativity. It is a puppet show in Paris, 1963 MM. Would kids today be quite so engrossed I wonder?

Edit. I love the looks on the faces of the two girls bottom right!
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptySun 27 Jan 2013, 13:58

Islanddawn wrote:
I love the looks on the faces of the two girls bottom right!

I love the whole range of emotions and expressions ... thanks for that ID Wink
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptySun 27 Jan 2013, 14:23

Ok how about:

Joe "Big Mac" Mackenzie, was a veteran and much in demand performer from Glasgow’s Gay Bar and Hen Party scene, but even he was surprised by his reception when he was accidentally booked by Aberdeen MacDonalds' for their "Burns’ Afternoon Spectacular" ... and he burst on stage to perform his famous, if rather idiosyncratic, version of “Nine Inch Will Please a Lady”!

Last edited by Meles meles on Sun 27 Jan 2013, 14:43; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptySun 27 Jan 2013, 14:30

Ok I think I'd better go get my coat.

But first, Guiseppe Archimboldi's portrait of the Holy Roman Emperor Rudolf II:

The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 390px-Arcimboldovertemnus
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptySun 27 Jan 2013, 14:41

Despite the undeniably good salary and free Honda Civic, local boy Igor was beginning to tire of his role as poster-boy for the Chernobyl Tourist Board.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptySun 27 Jan 2013, 14:42

The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 000000000000000000000000000000-1
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptySun 27 Jan 2013, 15:00

From the Wuhan Times Sunday Supplement:

'British diners choosing which soup they like for a starter before heading in to take their seats in a London restaurant.'
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptySun 27 Jan 2013, 15:04

The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 Breughel_460X276
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptySun 27 Jan 2013, 15:11

"I swear, Maude. Look, there's a cheap hat shop just over there, right by the butchers. Just consider it, will you? You really don't have to come out with the wok on your head any more!"

Last edited by nordmann on Sun 27 Jan 2013, 16:18; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptySun 27 Jan 2013, 15:18

The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 6619497209_c4aba09935_z
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptySun 27 Jan 2013, 18:21

Seated outside her home, Kathleen prepares to receive prospective husbands at the Lisdoonvarna Annual Matchmaking festival. She is said to be hopeful of success this year.
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptySun 27 Jan 2013, 18:32

The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 Lichnost-0024
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptyMon 28 Jan 2013, 22:11

Georges started off his career as a trout-tickler and then progressed thru snake-charming to horse-whispering before becoming the world's leading rhino-entrancer. A question from a journalist as to what his secret was led to his famous finger-wagging catch-phrase:

"Ah! Ah! C'est pas le chapeau!"
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptyMon 28 Jan 2013, 22:17

The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 1337650467hEfSc7
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptyTue 29 Jan 2013, 08:25

Mrs Akinawa despaired of little Isamu, forever wanting his sister to impale him on a sharp pointy stick. His fascination with aeroplanes, divinity and wind were encouraging though ....
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptyTue 29 Jan 2013, 08:38

The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 Vintage-fitness-devices-04-thumb
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptyTue 29 Jan 2013, 15:38

Oh dear, I can't possibly add a caption while 'The Engineer's Song' is reverberating round my brain.
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptyWed 30 Jan 2013, 11:19

Ever wanted that hourglass figure that even the strongest corset cannot achieve? Well want no more, with our new Wonder Waiste Walloper you can achieve your desire, and more, within a few short weeks. Hurry to place your order now and we'll send another Wonder Waiste Walloper free of charge, yes that's right, buy one and get one free!

Offer only extends while stocks last.
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptyWed 30 Jan 2013, 11:35

The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 Wtf-photos-from-old-times17
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptyWed 30 Jan 2013, 13:10

According to witnesses, the woman who knocked Bradley Wiggins' great-grandfather off his bike had hysterics after she was told who her victim was.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptyWed 30 Jan 2013, 13:26

The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 1470sDancingPeasants

Last edited by Temperance on Wed 30 Jan 2013, 15:41; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptyWed 30 Jan 2013, 15:32

Oh Temp, you've changed the picture - what did you do with "Les Trés Riches Heures" or "Strictly Come Dancing now includes the Hokey-Cokey" ? I'll have to go back to the drawing board. Cool

Last edited by Meles meles on Wed 30 Jan 2013, 16:04; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptyWed 30 Jan 2013, 15:39

Sorry, mon vieux haricot! Shall I put it back? I like your Hokey-Cokey caption.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptyWed 30 Jan 2013, 15:41

There you are, MM. Your go now.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptyWed 30 Jan 2013, 15:56

Oh bum, I wasn't suggesting a caption, only commenting that you'd changed pics (and showing off that I could recognise "Les Trés Riche Heures du Duc de Berry" even if it was just a little fragment). But OK then, in that case the caption has got to be (in an uber-camp accent):

"Oh purr-lease, sweeties! I tell you I'm not doing the next season of 'Strictly Come Dancing' if they insist on including the Hokey-Cokey".

Last edited by Meles meles on Wed 30 Jan 2013, 16:05; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptyWed 30 Jan 2013, 16:03

The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 1934MaxFactordemonstrateshisldquoscientificdevicerdquotheBeautyMicrometer_zps938ae046
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptyWed 30 Jan 2013, 18:11

Cynthia made a silent promise to herself. "Trevithwick may well be the town's most respected dentist, but next time I'll get me braces fitted down the bloody Co-Op!"
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptyWed 30 Jan 2013, 18:19

The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 147485_v1
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptyWed 30 Jan 2013, 18:51

"How"

"How?"

"How!"

"How?"

"No, how! - like wiv' da injuns!"

"Oh! Oh yes. But no. But now: How? …. How did you do it?"

"How did I do what?"

"Well how… however did YOU get elected to be President?"

"How I got elected? Me? Sir ... I really don’t think you want to know how!"

"To know how?"

"No!"

"No really. How did you really... ?"

"No. Really NO!"

"But... Wow! …but ... how..?"

"Sir, if you really need to know how …"

"You mean … to know how, to get the know-how?"

"Uh-huh!"

Now? ….. Wow!

"..... And so ladies and gentlemen, citizens, senators and esteemed foreign guests … I hereby swear in the next President of the United States of ……………. "

Last edited by Meles meles on Wed 30 Jan 2013, 22:32; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptyWed 30 Jan 2013, 19:04

The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 LordampLadyCurzoninIndia1903_zps95784186

EDIT : This is added well after the use by date so I doubt anyone will ever read this, but I just have to add that in the photo I was amused to note that Lord Curzon has very carefully sealed his trousers onto his wellies with elastic bands to stop the the wee beasties getting into his underwear - a precaution I can thoroughly recommend as simple and efficacious, having myself traisped through insect-rich South American tropical forests and grassland. Lady Curzon however has no such protection. Clearly for a refined English lady, modest fashion rather than practical attire were de riguer, and so she wears a heavy, ground sweeping skirt ... and presumably suffered incredible insect infestations, bites, stings, and itches around her unmentionables.

Yet she still manages a smile ... Makes one proud to be British, eh what?

Last edited by Meles meles on Sat 02 Feb 2013, 11:49; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptyWed 30 Jan 2013, 21:56

Bertrand and Harriett were easily the most incompetent butterfly collectors in the Great Yarmouth Conservative Club's "Young Naturalists Society".
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptyWed 30 Jan 2013, 22:11

The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 Old+funny+and+weird+photos+%252819%2529
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptyWed 30 Jan 2013, 22:19

Much to his father's chagrin, Justin O. Zimmer Jnr always thought that medical devices on their own were something of an innovation cul-de-sac.
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptyWed 30 Jan 2013, 22:27

The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 6488643013_55fba38ba5_z
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptyFri 01 Feb 2013, 19:39

Gawd George, you must be hard up. She may have long eyelashes but she is still a camel.
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptyFri 01 Feb 2013, 19:42

The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 Society_of_the_spectacle
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptySat 02 Feb 2013, 10:52

The beach at Lake Powell was a place to be avoided on July 27th every year for non-Mormons - the date Brigham Young had decreed "holy sunbathing day" after his own epiphany in Coney Island.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptySat 02 Feb 2013, 11:03

The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 12
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptySat 02 Feb 2013, 19:59

The annual calf roping contest got off to a good start, although there was confusion amongst some entrants on species classification.
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptySat 02 Feb 2013, 20:03

England v Scotland 1870

The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 423004_10151305701599825_1796093904_n
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptySat 02 Feb 2013, 21:20

Ructions at the varsity challenge match.

Pfiffington-Smythe: "I say, Algernon, that's no ordinary scrum, what! Do you know what the bally hell is going on?"

Bonar-Hemmington-Whortle (peering closely into the ruck): "I believe, Cedric, that the Oxford XV have fielded their first player from Lady Margaret's Hall!"
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptySat 02 Feb 2013, 21:31

The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 2007BN5728_jpg_l
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptySun 03 Feb 2013, 16:14

"And if I catch you posting on that site again, you will be cut off without a penny - is that clear, my girl?"

Fanny's father clearly considered Res Historica to be a corrupting influence on the young female mind.

Last edited by Temperance on Sun 03 Feb 2013, 16:37; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptySun 03 Feb 2013, 16:16

The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 William-gladstone-attacks-benjamin-disraeli-s-first-budget-speech-which-had-lasted-five-hours
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 EmptySun 03 Feb 2013, 16:58

Temperance wrote:
The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 William-gladstone-attacks-benjamin-disraeli-s-first-budget-speech-which-had-lasted-five-hours

Dizzy: "Go on then, Billly. Let's see you try!"
William: "I shall do it, sir! And what's more I require no wind assistance as your man did!"

The world book jumping record from a standing position was still Lord Palmerston's amazing fifteen from 1856, a feat achieved with considerable assistance from volumes of hot air at his rear and which few dared believe could ever be trumped in their lifetime. Gladstone, eyeing the sixteen tomes before him, believed otherwise.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Great Historical Captions Challenge!   The Great Historical Captions Challenge! - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Great Historical Captions Challenge!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 21Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next