A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

An Opportunity to Show What I Can Do (part 4)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tim of Aclea
Triumviratus Rei Publicae Constituendae
Tim of Aclea

An Opportunity to Show What I Can Do (part 4) Empty
PostAn Opportunity to Show What I Can Do (part 4)

After Christmas at home I was told to report to Battle Hospital, Reading where I spent two weeks in bed with lots of soldiers who had been prisoners of war and had developed TB. I understand that there had been a special exchange of prisoners of war between Germany and Britain organised by the Swiss Red Cross. One soldier told me that he had been a sergeant under Captain Jardean who had captained the England cricket team in Australia in 1932. The soldier said that he had had a fight with Jardean and had knocked out two of his teeth. As a result of this he had been court-martialled and reduced to the ranks. He also told me that soon after Dunkirk, when he became a prisoner of war, he thought that Britain would lose the war. He said that he hated the pre-war British government for getting us in the mess but that he also hated the Germans for the cold in camp and for the never ending feeling of hunger and despair. I will never forget these men who had been prisoners for nearly four years but had survived, I felt proud to be near them.

On 2nd February 1944, I received from Battle Hospital, Reading my discharge papers, a rather poor blue suit, a mac, a hat and food and cloths rations plus my pay until 28th February 1944. On Monday, 3rd February 1944 I started work for the Ministry of Labour, Reading at £2 18s per week plus 19 shillings war bonus as a Temporary Clerk grade III working 5 1/2 days (44 hours) a week. I also received a war injury pension of 18s per week. I worked there for 3 years and 8 months. My salary at the Ministry of Labour had increased to £6 10s by the time I left in 1947. I remember that when I started working at the Ministry of Labour there were two girls who worked for me who advised me that they would not start work until Monday afternoon and that they would stop work on Friday afternoons. When I raised this with my boss I was advised that due to the shortage of labour there was nothing they could do about such attitudes.

Soon after I returned home I received another letter from Pamela Bateman

My Dear Whittle,

Thank you very much for your long and interesting letter. I'm sure you must be very thankful to be back in England, especially as there is no chance of you going overseas again. I was very glad to have further details of my husband's death. Although I had heard very fully from several of the officers, you told me some things I didn’t know.

Yes, I knew the 2/6 were at Salerno and heard that Captain Walker was killed. I don’t believe I knew Lieutenant Eaton though. I had heard that Capt Zeilger was wounded. I'm afraid I have not felt much like writing letters and have not had very much news of them lately. There are several people to whom I owe letters and I really must settle down to them one day soon. I'm afraid it will take me a good many years to get over my loss. I'm not like some of these wives that can change over very quickly. I'm still so thankful for Judith Ann. She is a great help always as she keeps my time fully occupied. How is your little girl? I can't remember her name for the moment. I'm sure she must have been thrilled to get her Daddy home again. Please remember me to your wife and thank you again for all your news.

Yours sincerely,

Pamela Bateman

From 1944 through to 1947 I used to go to Evening Classes on Tuesday and Wednesday, then I went to WEA meetings at Reading University on Saturday p.m. and it cost 1 shilling for lectures and 1 shilling for 2 cups of tea and a piece of cake – very good! In 1947 I applied for a scholarship to the TUC to study at Ruskin College, Oxford and was delighted to receive the following letter.

The Trades Union Congress
Educational Trust
Transport House
Smith Square
London

19th June 1947

Dear Mr Whittle,
SCHOLARSHIPS

I am very glad to inform you that the Trustees have decided to offer you a scholarship to Ruskin College for the academic year 1947-48.

The scholarship will cover:

(a) The cost of your residence and tuition at Ruskin College
(b) The cost of approved books
(c) Subsistence allowance during Christmas and Easter vacations at the rate of £3 per week
(d) Allowance for incidental expenses and pocket money during three terms and two vacations at the rate of 15s. per week
(e) Your fares to and from Oxford at the beginning and end of each term.

The Secretary of Ruskin College is being notified of the award of this scholarship to you and you will hear from him regarding arrangements for you to take up residence at the College. The term will start on October 6th.

Where necessary the Trustees wish to take reasonable account of family circumstances so far as their funds permit, though you will appreciate that these funds are not unlimited. If you will require assistance to maintain your home while you are at Ruskin College, will you please let the Trustees know your financial circumstances? It would help them in this connection if you would give them information as to your present income, the rent you pay for your house, and as to any special liability you may have to meet.

I shall be glad to have your written acceptance of this scholarship at your early convenience.

With hearty congratulations on your success, and with best wishes for the future.

Yours sincerely

JVC Wray
Secretary

Ruskin College was a residential college for working men and women founded in Oxford in 1899 by Mr and Mrs Walter Vrooman, of Missouri, USA assisted by Charley A. Beard, the American social historian. Its aim was to give members of British workers’ organisations the opportunity for further education, both for its own sake and because this would become increasingly necessary in the organisations from which they were drawn.

It was first established in a private house but in 1903 it moved to Walton Street and carried on in the almost derelict cottages then on the site. The Walton Street building was erected in 1912 and the West wing added in 1936. The hostel at Headington, now known as ‘The Rookery’ was leased in 1946 and bought, with 20 acres of adjoining ground in 1947, the year that I started.

From its foundation prominent trade unionists had given it their support and from the start a number of unions awarded scholarships for their members to study at Ruskin College. Trade union financial support was still of major importance both to the College and to its students through scholarships, but since its foundation other sources of support have also been found. The Ministry of Education made an annual grant to the College and students obtain scholarships through the Ministry under the Further Education and Training Scheme, from local Education Authorities, from philanthropic trusts, and from the College itself. The college fee for board, lodging and tuition for an academic year of 33 weeks was £125 when I joined.

Economics and associated studies were the backbone of the college teaching. The main subjects studied were economic theory and organisation, political theory and organisation, social, economic and constitutional history, and the British Labour Movement and its problems. There was also an arts side with English Literature and history as the main subjects. A good proportion of Ruskin students also took a modern language, French, German or Russian.
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

An Opportunity to Show What I Can Do (part 4) :: Comments

No Comment.

An Opportunity to Show What I Can Do (part 4)

Page 1 of 1