A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Which feature would best enhance this messageboard?
Strict moderation (all posts and/or memberships deleted which infringe the rules)
What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap2%What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Low moderation (eg. a warning system before further action taken)
What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap23%What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 23% [ 10 ]
Ability to insert images and video in messages
What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap16%What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 16% [ 7 ]
Messages restricted to text only
What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap0%What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
More sub-categories
What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap0%What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Fewer sub-categories
What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap5%What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 5% [ 2 ]
More main categories
What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap9%What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 9% [ 4 ]
Fewer main categories
What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap2%What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Provision of a chat room
What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap16%What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 16% [ 7 ]
More emoticons
What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap5%What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 5% [ 2 ]
Fewer emoticons
What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap14%What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 14% [ 6 ]
A shoutbox for making announcements to all members
What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap7%What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 7% [ 3 ]
Removal of private messaging
 0% [ 0 ]
More posts shown per page (currently 30)
What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap1%What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 1% [ 1 ]
Fewer posts shown per page (currently 30)
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 44

AuthorMessage
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 EmptySat 17 Mar 2012, 18:23

Not at all.

It's BT then. If turning off and on at the wall gets you back then it's BT's fault. Your modem has a permanent address which is hidden behind a published address picked out by your ISP provider and generated when your modem declares itself online. If the BT line drops your published address becomes "available" to someone else, meaning that you have to restart your modem to get it to announce itself again to the network and acquire a new published address. However this site doesn't know that was the reason, and never got a logout request from you, so it behaves as if you have simply accessed the site through another machine. After a while it will realise that one address isn't registering any activity and end the status to "logged out". You will remain displaying as a "guest" for another while and then eventually disappear if you haven't logged in on another address of course.

This changing of addresses in the background is also what happens when people lose their posts on sending. If, while composing your post, the address dynamically changed itself on the ISP side then you are effectively typing your message in the browser's cache and the request for submission (made when you start typing in the message frame) is no longer valid. This can happen without even a requirement to restart the modem so it is almost always undetectable until it is too late. If you read the fineprint in the BT contract you'll see it's one of the first things in which it absolves itself of all culpability, even though it's BT that's doing it. ISPs are evil liars.

And sneaky - they pass info on to the authorities, save records of your traffic for years, and facilitate spamming by building up profiles of your internet habits and making them available to third parties. In fact they compete with each other to be the most sneaky - they know that keeping in with the authorities is worth mega-bucks. This is not paranoia speaking - I have worked for them.
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 EmptySat 17 Mar 2012, 23:31

Nordmann,

"And sneaky - they pass info on to the authorities, save records of your traffic for years, and facilitate spamming by building up profiles of your internet habits and making them available to third parties. In fact they compete with each other to be the most sneaky - they know that keeping in with the authorities is worth mega-bucks. This is not paranoia speaking - I have worked for them."

"I have worked for them"

Say once what you have "not" done?

I remember that you once told us about your time in Belgium. That the boss in one of the places where you were then located had the habit to shake hands each morning of his employees. Obviously it was not your best friend and one morning you had your hand full with grease...If I recall it well, you succeeded and he never shook hands again with you?

I have even a vague rememberance that you told us something related to Greece as if there too you resided in "one part of your life"?

During our BBC time I recall from some contributors as Islanddawn and others that they didn't always stay at the place, where they were born, but you, perhaps apart from Tas, seem to have changed places quite a lot?

Nordmann, feel free to ignore all this impertinent questioning, and go on with our daily business!

Kind regards and with esteem for all what I read from you on the different boards that we both frequent.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 EmptySat 17 Mar 2012, 23:48

Hi Paul - yes I have worked at different times in Ireland, England, Belgium, the Netherlands, Greece, Germany, Ukraine, the USA, Canada, Japan and Norway.

Am presently learning Chinese (that bit's not true, but actually maybe we all should be!)
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 EmptyThu 13 Nov 2014, 15:19

What would I like to see as a feature of this site? More life - the way we used to be. What on earth is going on?  I know Caro, ID and Priscilla are on holiday/tied up with family, but where is the rest of our merry band? Is the site being run down in time for Christmas? Have we all offended one another?

Hope we are not going the way of all history sites...

Last edited by Temperance on Fri 14 Nov 2014, 06:19; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 EmptyThu 13 Nov 2014, 16:05

Controversy, that's what we need, something that we can argue about rather than,as I often do, log in, read posts, nod silently to myself and move away to somewhere else. We really do, at least in general terms, tend to agree about most things and that might well explain why some have stuck around and some wandered off over the years.
Where have all the useful idiots gone?
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 EmptyThu 13 Nov 2014, 16:21

ferval wrote:

Well, I'm still here - just.

Is it my computer - nothing for today is showing up on "Shortcuts", and, although I'm logged in and posting this, my name is not on the Who's Online? bit. No one's name is showing, and in fact no one has been "online" all day. It's all eerie and silent. Don't like it. It's ominous.

What's going on?
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 EmptyThu 13 Nov 2014, 16:28

If you are online just now, you aren't showing up as logged in - are you sure you are?

Oh - you are now!
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 EmptyThu 13 Nov 2014, 16:45

No I'm not, but I am.

This is worse than the Marks and Spencer website.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura
Gilgamesh of Uruk

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 EmptyThu 13 Nov 2014, 20:42

ferval wrote:

Some on we am still ere.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 EmptyThu 13 Nov 2014, 22:44

It's OK, I've found them. They're all wittering on about creationism on the Points of View message board.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2