A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Suetonius-The Twelve Caesars

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

Suetonius-The Twelve Caesars Empty
PostSubject: Suetonius-The Twelve Caesars   Suetonius-The Twelve Caesars EmptyTue 20 Aug 2013, 09:30

An online version of Suetonius' Lives of the Twelve Caesars:

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Suetonius/12Caesars/
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura
Gilgamesh of Uruk

PostSubject: Re: Suetonius-The Twelve Caesars   Suetonius-The Twelve Caesars EmptyWed 02 Oct 2013, 16:45

I've got this in the Penguin Classics edition - I find reading long texts on screen tires my eyes.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Suetonius-The Twelve Caesars   Suetonius-The Twelve Caesars EmptyWed 02 Oct 2013, 19:55

Gil, old friend,

so happy to see you again on the boards.
Suetonius I read some parts of it in translation (Dutch) from the local library.
Wondering if you have still some "connections" with chickens? And what about the sons? Sorry to the other "intervenants" for the "tête à tête" and sorry to be so impertinent to ask it in the public view of all.
I can understand if you don't want to elaborate on such "private" questions...

Kind regards and with great esteem for old files from you as for the potential new ones,

Paul.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: Suetonius-The Twelve Caesars   Suetonius-The Twelve Caesars EmptyFri 04 Oct 2013, 12:44

You might enjoy these  - 6 lectures by Mary Beard on this very topic.  http://www.nga.gov/content/ngaweb/audio-video/mellon.html

There's some very interesting stuff on this site, perfect for those long winter evenings.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura
Gilgamesh of Uruk

PostSubject: Re: Suetonius-The Twelve Caesars   Suetonius-The Twelve Caesars EmptyFri 04 Oct 2013, 16:13

Paul :
One monster (*senior) still at home, but not much longer now he's an assistant head of a primary school, lesser one now off with his partner, living with her parents and working as a chef, but wants to go into special needs teaching.

Yes, we still have hens, and now two Muscovy ducks added to the troupe.

I still think that, despite Graves' protestations, the "Claudius" books are heavily dependant on Suetonius.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura
Gilgamesh of Uruk

PostSubject: Re: Suetonius-The Twelve Caesars   Suetonius-The Twelve Caesars EmptyFri 04 Oct 2013, 16:18

Paul :
One monster (*senior) still at home, but not much longer now he's an assistant head of a primary school, lesser one now off with his partner, living with her parents and working as a chef, but wants to go into special needs teaching.

I still think that, despite Graves' protestations, the "Claudius" books are heavily dependant on Suetonius.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Suetonius-The Twelve Caesars   Suetonius-The Twelve Caesars EmptyFri 04 Oct 2013, 20:17

ferval wrote:
You might enjoy these  - 6 lectures by Mary Beard on this very topic.  http://www.nga.gov/content/ngaweb/audio-video/mellon.html

There's some very interesting stuff on this site, perfect for those long winter evenings.
Thank you very much for this site Ferval.

"perfect for those long winter evenings"

Ferval, am I the only one, to have no time, at my Seventies, to spend whole evenings to one subject...?
Nevertheless I will try to listen to all it...eventually I can skipp through the less interesting parts...Wink ?

Kind regards and with esteem,

Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Suetonius-The Twelve Caesars   Suetonius-The Twelve Caesars EmptyFri 04 Oct 2013, 20:59

Gilgamesh of Uruk wrote:
Paul :

Gil,

thank you very much for this more "intimate" (warm?) message about the family and your "poultry farm".

Greetings to the whole family...

And what one all remembers after all those years...as your sejourn near Mons...

Kind regards from your friend,

Paul.

PS: Yes and you are right about Graves with his Claudius...but one has to get information somewhere in any case...Wink ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I,_Claudius
"Graves translated Suetonius before writing the novels. Graves claimed that after he read Suetonius, Claudius came to him in a dream one night and demanded that his real story be told. The life of Claudius provided Graves with a way to write about the first four Emperors of Rome (Augustus, Tiberius, Caligula, and Claudius) from an intimate point of view."

"Claudius came to him in a dream one night and demanded that his real story be told."
Some advertisement trick or a "transcedent" event;)?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suetonius-The Twelve Caesars   Suetonius-The Twelve Caesars Empty

Back to top Go down

Suetonius-The Twelve Caesars

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: The history of expression ... :: Literature :: Non-fiction-