A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Power of Myths for the Simpler Minded

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

Power of Myths for the Simpler Minded - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power of Myths for the Simpler Minded   Power of Myths for the Simpler Minded - Page 2 EmptyMon 16 Sep 2013, 12:41

I Love Lucian - if they'd had TV in the 2nd century that would have been a favourite of mine!

Lucian's satirical attack on Empedocles was nothing compared to the christian church's attempt to wipe the guy from history. We must be grateful to Cicero of all people for the good bits that survived. I assume the church's beef was that Empedocles' rationale was, well, rational, and made a much better stab at explaining good versus evil than the bogeyman version.
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Power of Myths for the Simpler Minded   Power of Myths for the Simpler Minded - Page 2 EmptyMon 16 Sep 2013, 12:50

nordmann wrote:
I Love Lucian - if they'd had TV in the 2nd century that would have been a favourite of mine!

You sound just like Erasmus. I bet he and Thomas More had a great time together translating him! Hope this picture isn't too enormous - please shrink it.

Power of Myths for the Simpler Minded - Page 2 Main10
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Power of Myths for the Simpler Minded   Power of Myths for the Simpler Minded - Page 2 EmptyMon 16 Sep 2013, 12:51

Oh heck - sorry. It wasn't that big in the preview, honest. That'll learn me, trying to be clever.

EDIT: Thank you! Here's the link I got that page from:

http://crrs.ca/featured-book/may2010/

Last edited by Temperance on Mon 16 Sep 2013, 13:15; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Power of Myths for the Simpler Minded   Power of Myths for the Simpler Minded - Page 2 EmptyMon 16 Sep 2013, 13:07

As Erasmus would have said - medentis

Edit: Whoops - that should have been the pluperfect - meduerant! (Sorry 'Rasmus)
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Power of Myths for the Simpler Minded   Power of Myths for the Simpler Minded - Page 2 EmptyTue 17 Sep 2013, 09:53

Sincerely Thine has a faith but I prefer to keep such opinions personal. My atheist friends and I are more likely to remain friends if we don't get into heated debate and agree to disagree.  I learned in childhood that the story that if I prayed and was good I'd get what I want was a rip-off.  I won't go into detail but I was very bitter towards a certain saint about a prayer that wasn't answered when I was a little girl. When I was a child the church was always full on a Sunday - these days there are many vacant seats except at Christmas and Easter. Interpreting "myth" slightly differently,  I did come across something on another forum where a person was saying how awful the early Christian Church had been to the Druids (they had taken the BBC series "Merlin" - which I personally enjoyed as a "romp" as fact).  I was disappointed to read (on Wikipedia) that the story about the housewife telling off King Alfred the Great off for burning the cakes was probably what we would now call an "urban legend".  I was also disappointed that the tale of Marie Lloyd changing "she sits among the cabbages and peas" to "she sits among the cabbages and leeks" was likewise untrue.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Power of Myths for the Simpler Minded   Power of Myths for the Simpler Minded - Page 2 EmptySat 18 Jul 2015, 19:34

Saint Atticus Finch - yet another myth debunked? Are there any saints left for us to believe in?

Go Set a Watchman is not a good book - more a first draft really, but its publication means that we can never read To Kill a Mockingbird in the same innocent way again.

Brilliant review here:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/jul/17/go-set-a-watchman-harper-lee-review-novel

The slender plot of Watchman hangs on this disclosure. Scout must come to terms with the revelation that her father is not Saint Atticus, leaving Watchman’s readers to struggle with the same problem: we’re all Scout Finch now, shocked at discovering our father figure has feet of Alabama clay. Maybe it is time for us all to grow up.

Maybe it is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Power of Myths for the Simpler Minded   Power of Myths for the Simpler Minded - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Power of Myths for the Simpler Minded

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2