A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

The Funniest Book You've Read?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

The Funniest Book You've Read? Empty
PostSubject: The Funniest Book You've Read?   The Funniest Book You've Read? EmptyMon 10 Mar 2014, 10:06

The Guardian today has published a paean to Jerome K. Jerome's "Three Men in a Boat" as part of it's 100 Best Books series and rightly in my view describes it as a comic gem. For many years it is also a book I would have automatically cited as the funniest I had read, though probably not with absolute consistency - off the top of my head I can already think of two others which might also have jumped to the top depending on my humour when asked; Sellar and Yeatman's "1066 And All That" and Tom Sharpe's "The Throwback", both of which had me in painful stitches at times when I first (and even subsequently) read them. What all three share in common is that I am almost afraid to read them now in case I find that so-called maturity and life in general has soured me to their delights.

The Funniest Book You've Read? 3-men

However for the purpose of proposing the enquiry I'll stick with the Guardian's assessment and nominate the 1889 sojourn up the Thames as top of my own list of books that almost had me hospitalised from laughing so much when first I consumed them. Any you would care to nominate to join it?
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: The Funniest Book You've Read?   The Funniest Book You've Read? EmptyMon 10 Mar 2014, 10:30

Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt is mine. If ever a book has induced me to laughter and tears of sadness at the same time it is that one. And the Power of One by Bryce Courtenay for the same reasons.

Two by Louis de Bernieres, Captain Corelli's Mandolin and Bird's Without Wings. Possibly because I can understand the Greek sense of the ridiculous but I found them both hilarious none the less.

Someone recently recommended Gerald Durrell's The Corfu Trilogy as being very funny, but I didn't like it at all. I found it to be full of over blown stereotypes, both English and Greek, which left me more annoyed than amused.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: The Funniest Book You've Read?   The Funniest Book You've Read? EmptyMon 10 Mar 2014, 10:39

"Cold Comfort Farm" by Stella Gibbons.

"There'll be no butter in hell!"

“Surely she had endured enough for one evening without having to listen to intelligent conversation?”

“By the way, I adore my bedroom, but do you think I could have the curtains washed? I believe they are red; and I should so like to make sure.'
Judith had sunk into a reverie.
'Curtains?' she asked, vacantly, lifting her magnificent head. 'Child, child, it is many years since such trifles broke across the web of my solitude'.”

“The audience had run to beards and magenta shirts and original ways of arranging its neckwear; and not content with the ravages produced in its over-excitable nervous system by the remorseless workings of its critical intelligence, it had sat through a film of Japanese life called 'Yes,' made by a Norwegian film company in 1915 with Japanese actors, which lasted an hour and three-quarters and contained twelve close-ups of water-lilies lying perfectly still on a scummy pond and four suicides, all done extremely slowly.”
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: The Funniest Book You've Read?   The Funniest Book You've Read? EmptyMon 02 Feb 2015, 14:52

This one, which I borrowed from the library on Friday.
Never dull, always entertaining and with some genuine laugh out loud moments.

The Funniest Book You've Read? X25544
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura
Gilgamesh of Uruk

PostSubject: Re: The Funniest Book You've Read?   The Funniest Book You've Read? EmptyMon 02 Feb 2015, 21:05

Temperance wrote:
"Cold Comfort Farm" by Stella Gibbons.

"There'll be no butter in hell!"

“Surely she had endured enough for one evening without having to listen to intelligent conversation?”

“By the way, I adore my bedroom, but do you think I could have the curtains washed? I believe they are red; and I should so like to make sure.'
Judith had sunk into a reverie.
'Curtains?' she asked, vacantly, lifting her magnificent head. 'Child, child, it is many years since such trifles broke across the web of my solitude'.”

“The audience had run to beards and magenta shirts and original ways of arranging its neckwear; and not content with the ravages produced in its over-excitable nervous system by the remorseless workings of its critical intelligence, it had sat through a film of Japanese life called 'Yes,' made by a Norwegian film company in 1915 with Japanese actors, which lasted an hour and three-quarters and contained twelve close-ups of water-lilies lying perfectly still on a scummy pond and four suicides, all done extremely slowly.”
Isn't the last quote from "Conference At Cold Comfort Farm"  rather than the original?

My vote would go to this one :-
https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/865289-the-cynic-s-word-book
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Funniest Book You've Read?   The Funniest Book You've Read? EmptyMon 02 Feb 2015, 21:10

Tom Sharpes' "The Throwback" is a classic.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura
Gilgamesh of Uruk

PostSubject: Re: The Funniest Book You've Read?   The Funniest Book You've Read? EmptyMon 02 Feb 2015, 22:22

How about which book that isn't attempting to be funny most amused you as a sub-category? I suggest 

https://sites.google.com/site/mysticismofthegreatpyramid/home/the-great-pyramid-decoded

The circularity of the logic particularly amused me - a measurement is so many "sacred cubits", thus proving that the measurement "sacred cubit" was actually used and was different from the Royal cubit (he chops and changes between cubits apparently as and when it suits him.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Funniest Book You've Read?   The Funniest Book You've Read? EmptyThu 05 Feb 2015, 12:43

Unintentionally hilarious (in a gallows humour sort of way) ...

Protect and Survive

The Funniest Book You've Read? Home

Still, it was probably an improvement on an earlier version from the 1960s which, if I remember correctly, instructed you to make sure to close the curtains in your living room BEFORE the 50 megaton bomb's blastwave hit your house.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: The Funniest Book You've Read?   The Funniest Book You've Read? EmptyThu 05 Feb 2015, 13:37

That reminds me of this:

Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura
Gilgamesh of Uruk

PostSubject: Re: The Funniest Book You've Read?   The Funniest Book You've Read? EmptyThu 05 Feb 2015, 17:33

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Funniest Book You've Read?   The Funniest Book You've Read? Empty

Back to top Go down

The Funniest Book You've Read?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1