A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt? Empty
PostSubject: Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt?   Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt? EmptyFri 29 Aug 2014, 12:12

Many were ...

Mao Tse Tung, Pol Pot, Josef Stalin and Adolf Hitler were not men to be trifled with, despite their anagrams! (Hitler also can be translated into "Dollar Thief" and even "Torah Filled", which I'm sure he himself would have had a right despotic giggle at)

Any others?

EDIT: Just had to include this one; Isambard Kingdom Brunel = "I'm a Mad, Slobbering Drunk"

Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYx8TCbfmbkGC7OwkGh4-nlaF0woSIQ3foflrTjdo0Nw8XpDSdUqwE7K4
Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt? Bettma10
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt?   Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt? EmptyFri 29 Aug 2014, 12:33

William Shakespeare

I'll make a wise phrase
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt?   Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt? EmptyFri 29 Aug 2014, 14:54

Adolf Hitler

Heil, old fart
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt?   Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt? EmptyFri 29 Aug 2014, 15:08

Elvis

Lives
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt?   Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt? EmptyFri 29 Aug 2014, 18:36

1990s UK Secretary of State for Health, Virginia Bottomley = "I'm an evil Tory bigot"
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt?   Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt? EmptySat 30 Aug 2014, 08:18

Sir Thomas Stanley - the traitor who caused the death of Richard III (who drank a lot).

Sottish man slayer.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt?   Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt? EmptyMon 01 Sep 2014, 08:57

"Traitor"? Maybe he was just trying to give up the drink, in which case the appeal of a "dry hero nut" would most likely exceed that of "a cliched trouser frog" after all.

Just found an unfortunate one for Anne of Cleeves - "even nose fecal ..." !
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt?   Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt? EmptyMon 01 Sep 2014, 12:03

Princess Diana:

A car spin is end

Ascend in Paris

Oliver Reed:

Erode Liver

Rasputin:

Puritans
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt?   Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt? EmptyMon 01 Sep 2014, 12:15

My granny's 1898 copy of "Enquire Within", as well as giving invaluable advice in all matters, such as how to address an archbishop, how to bottle plums, how to calculate compound interest, how to remove candle wax from fabric, how to manage servants, how to do taxidermy, how to play cribbage, how to cure croop in poultry etc etc, has a section on palour games and how to amuse ones guests, and suggests anagrams as a suitable passtime for all ages. As examples it gives:

William Shakespeare - "I am a weakish speller",
Florence Nightingale - "Flit on, cheering angel".
Horation Nelson - "Honor est a Nilo" (Honour is from the Nile), although it cautions that the wit of Latin anagrams may not be readily appreciated by all guests.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt?   Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt? EmptyMon 01 Sep 2014, 12:24

Cleopatra: "Lo, a carpet!"

or one your granny may have been familiar with, MM

Catherine the Great (upon getting older): "Rehang thee, tit race!"
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt?   Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt? EmptyMon 01 Sep 2014, 12:31

MM wrote:
...although it cautions that the wit of Latin anagrams may not be readily appreciated by all guests.

Although the odd Latin pun is sometimes acceptable amongst friends.

When I was a student I knew two incredibly brainy people who used to vie with one another to produce Latin puns for fun. Bloody show-offs. I used to sit gobsmacked at their erudition and pretend to understand. I don't think I fooled anyone.

Story of my life really.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt?   Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt? EmptyMon 01 Sep 2014, 12:44

Marquis de Sade: "AIDS? Mad queers!"

Or if you prefer a more classical version: "Quid Ressa, edam?" (who's this Ressa woman I'm eating?)
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt?   Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt? EmptyMon 01 Sep 2014, 13:00

nordmann wrote:

Or if you prefer a more classical version: "Quid Ressa, edam?" (who's this Ressa woman I'm eating?)

Oh, Gawd, you've started him off, MM; he'll be doing everything in Latin now.

Pompey the Great.

Here to map Egypt.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt?   Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt? EmptyMon 01 Sep 2014, 13:07

Salman Rushdie - "Read, Shun Islam"

Disraeli - "Sir, I lead"
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt?   Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt? EmptyMon 01 Sep 2014, 13:10

Obviously not my own composition but I thought this anagram well worth sharing, from Shakespeare's Hamlet:

"To be or not to be: that is the question, whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune".
=
"In one of the Bard's best-thought-of tragedies, our insistent hero, Hamlet, queries on two fronts about how life turns rotten."
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt?   Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt? EmptyMon 01 Sep 2014, 13:22

Alexander the Great: "The retard axe-angel"

Pliny the Elder: "Elderly pen hit!"

Mark Antony: "Yank matron"

And the obligatory Latin one for Temp ...

Richard Nixon: "Ardor? Hinc? Nix!" (Integrity? Here? Never!)
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt?   Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt? EmptyMon 01 Sep 2014, 13:31

Pitt the Younger - "Gouty three pint"

(I'm quite proud of that one, although Pitt's infamous three bottles of port a day were actually closer to 50cl each rather than a full pint).
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt?   Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt? EmptyMon 01 Sep 2014, 13:38

My own attempt at Hamlet - This above all to thine own self be true: "If the truth's available, level one's woe"

I like your Pitt one too. Best I could do for a boozer was:

Ernest Hemingway: "Gin amnesty! Where?"

Eleanor of Aquitaine: "An irate queen I, a fool."  or indeed the opposite "I queen, a rational foe!"

George Washington: "Reggae's Thong Wino!" (or "Sewage Going North") Smile
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt?   Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt? EmptyMon 01 Sep 2014, 14:16

Ronald Reagan - "A darn long era".
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt?   Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt? EmptyMon 01 Sep 2014, 14:43

Gillian Anderson ("X-Files" actress)

No Aliens Darling
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt?   Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt? EmptyMon 01 Sep 2014, 14:54

This classic from the 1970s

Nessiteras rhombopteryx , the name given by Sir Peter Scott to the Loch Ness Monster based on a photo taken by an American expedition becomes;

Monster Hoax by Sir Peter S
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt?   Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt? EmptyMon 01 Sep 2014, 15:15

Robert Rines who took the photographs responded with;

"Yes, both pix are monsters, R."

Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt? Lochness8
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt?   Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt? EmptyTue 02 Sep 2014, 20:48

Richard of Gloucester: "A child foster ogre cur"
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt?   Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt? EmptyWed 03 Sep 2014, 08:50

Attila the Hun:

Late Titan? Huh!

Benito Mussolini:

Ominous Bile Snit. (or "busiest mini-loon")
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt?   Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt? EmptyWed 03 Sep 2014, 10:10

Tony Blair PM

I'm Tory Plan B
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt?   Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt? EmptyWed 03 Sep 2014, 20:54

Meles meles wrote:

Florence Nightingale - "Flit on, cheering angel".

Here are 2 more for Florence Nightingale - "Free light on cleaning" and "Enforce healing glint".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt?   Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt? Empty

Back to top Go down

Who's afraid of Sage Mutton, Lop Top, False Joints and a Haloed Flirt?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1