A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Liberation of the dead camps Germany Poland WWII

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

Liberation of the dead camps Germany Poland WWII Empty
PostSubject: Liberation of the dead camps Germany Poland WWII   Liberation of the dead camps Germany Poland WWII EmptySun 18 Jan 2015, 21:10

I have seen last week on ARTE +7 a documentary intended to be released as a testimony what people could do to other people
http://www.arte.tv/guide/fr/050111-000/images-de-la-liberation-des-camps
It is still available on the +7 in French and German (Nielsen) I hope for some more two days. Next week there is a "redifusion" on the ARTE channel (French or German).
It is not the French documentary but I think it is the original version pointed to in ht ARTE documentary:
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/memory-of-the-camps/
And about the ARTE documentary I found also this in English:
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/alfred-hitchcocks-unseen-holocaust-documentary-to-be-screened-9044945.html

And there is also an accompagning documentary to be broadcasted on 27 January, the 70th anniversary of the liberation of the camps:
"Night will fall"
http://variety.com/2014/film/global/holocaust-doc-night-will-fall-gets-global-broadcast-1201362494/
And also about the subject:
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/sep/21/night-will-fall-review-impressively-sober-thoughtful-documentary

I found the message of Yora on the Historum forum January 15th Post 279 very pertinent:
http://historum.com/history/70784-why-do-we-talk-about-holocaust-28.html

"
Yora
Citizen

I believe here in Germany, the perception is that it was special compared to other genocides, not simply because of the numbers of dead, but the calculation behind it.

It wasn't as if some guys had a few too much drinks until one said "you know what, let's get our axes and kill those *******s" and then it swept over to thousands of other people who got caught in the euphoria and saw opportunities to settle some old scores and make some political gains from the chaos. Sure, on the eastern front German soldiers did the usual roundups of people they found and shot them on the spot, just like any other genocid. But in Germany it was lots of politicans and state employees getting together in big conferences, setting up plans to build dozens of corpse disposal facilities, logistical infrastructure for moving millions of people, calculating and allocating budgets for the construction, finding suppliers who could deliver building materials in sufficient quantities, and providing housing for the staff. That staff also had to be managed, so things could run smoothly when some of them went on vacation or sick leave, and so on. Of course, you also had to figure out who could deliver the toxic chemicals in the required quantities, how to store them properly according to health and safety regulations, and so on. And of course the hundreds of accountants you needed to take care of all the paper work.
That's a completely different dimension of murder. That wasn't mass violent crime out of hatred and anger. It was thousands of people who agreed that the current situation would be best solved by killing millions of children, so you are rid of those people once and for all.
I found also the question of the Turkish Efendi thought provoking: (post 292 January 16th)
Efendi
Kayıkçı Efe

We talk about holocaust to understand It, when we understand It we will not attack our personaities, we will atack our ideas.
Are the ideas that preponderant in the story even more than the willing perpetrators?
The perpetrators using the ideas as to their own intentions to legitimate their acts?
That are my first thoughts. I have still to reiterate in depth the whole thinking over...

I have not seen fully the 56 minutes documentary "Memory of the camps" but from what I have seen it is the same as what was shown in the ARTE documentary...really leaving a lasting impression...at least to me...and I have seen already that much footage about the camps...

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Liberation of the dead camps Germany Poland WWII   Liberation of the dead camps Germany Poland WWII EmptyMon 19 Jan 2015, 08:35

I saw the Hitchcock/Bernstein footage before, obviously in its unrestored state, and remember the Trevor Howard narration of the original scripted commentary. I found the latter to be badly composed, even by the standards of the day, lapsing into quite unnecessary hyperbole and extremely judgemental criticism of "ordinary Germans" when the images alone were already doing a much better job of indictment. In fact I can see why it wasn't put out on general release - as the Independent article says the delay in its post-production meant that even by late 1945, when it was ready for distribution, the value of showing it to a demoralised population in a country in dire need of reconstruction was moot.

In a more modern context, especially in that of the peculiar stupidity that is called "holocaust denial", these visual documents still have a very valuable role to play as evidence of atrocity on an almost unimaginably large scale. However it is a long time since I have seen them being used on TV except in presentations bordering on the voyeuristic, tending to milk the "shock horror" aspect for as much as it's worth and with minimal examination of the historical context in which it occurred - and in some ways is not actually over yet. We are living with the holocaust still, in many different ways.
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: Liberation of the dead camps Germany Poland WWII   Liberation of the dead camps Germany Poland WWII EmptyMon 19 Jan 2015, 09:18

Tomorrow night this is being broadcast on BBC 2 and I understand that some of that original footage is incorporated into the production. It's part of their 'Holocaust Memorial Season', is it just me that finds that tag somehow really distasteful? Nevertheless, I'm hopeful of it being worth watching.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b050d2t9

Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Liberation of the dead camps Germany Poland WWII   Liberation of the dead camps Germany Poland WWII EmptyMon 19 Jan 2015, 09:51

It's been a while since it was last on tv , but there was a programme, The Wannsee Conference with Kenneth Branagh in the lead role as Adolf Eichmann, which shows the emotionless bureaucratic organisation behind the Holocaust that Yora talks about in Paul's OP.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Liberation of the dead camps Germany Poland WWII   Liberation of the dead camps Germany Poland WWII EmptyMon 19 Jan 2015, 09:59

It was actually called Conspiracy and Branagh was Heydrich not Eichmann;

Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Liberation of the dead camps Germany Poland WWII   Liberation of the dead camps Germany Poland WWII EmptyMon 19 Jan 2015, 21:08

nordmann wrote:
I saw the Hitchcock/Bernstein footage before, obviously in its unrestored state, and remember the Trevor Howard narration of the original scripted commentary. I found the latter to be badly composed, even by the standards of the day, lapsing into quite unnecessary hyperbole and extremely judgemental criticism of "ordinary Germans" when the images alone were already doing a much better job of indictment. In fact I can see why it wasn't put out on general release - as the Independent article says the delay in its post-production meant that even by late 1945, when it was ready for distribution, the value of showing it to a demoralised population in a country in dire need of reconstruction was moot.

Nordmann,

yes I have now seen the Trevor Howard film in full (to be honest with the cursor skipping over each time some two or three minutes). First time I did only here and there some checks to see if it was the same mentioned in the ARTE documentary. And yes you are completely right, when you say:
" I found the latter to be badly composed, even by the standards of the day, lapsing into quite unnecessary hyperbole and extremely judgemental criticism of "ordinary Germans" when the images alone were already doing a much better job of indictment."
But the ARTE documentary that I have seen was completely otherwise, well narrated and with an intelligent approach. In fact there were above the fragments of the film some 30 or more minutes with interviews and context.
How lucky I was to only give the link of the ARTE documentary in the Holocaust thread on Historum and not this stupid Trevor Howard approach.

And as I read the comments about the documentary "Night will fall" to be broadcasted on 27 January, this will also much better than the Trevor film:

"And there is also an accompagning documentary to be broadcasted on 27 January, the 70th anniversary of the liberation of the camps:
"Night will fall"
http://variety.com/2014/film/global/holocaust-doc-night-will-fall-gets-global-broadcast-1201362494/
And also about the subject:
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/sep/21/night-will-fall-review-impressively-sober-thoughtful-documentary "

Kind regards and with esteem, Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Liberation of the dead camps Germany Poland WWII   Liberation of the dead camps Germany Poland WWII EmptyMon 19 Jan 2015, 21:45

Addendum to my original post.

"I found also the question of the Turkish Efendi thought provoking: (post 292 January 16th)

Efendi
Kayıkçı Efe

We talk about holocaust to understand It, when we understand It we will not attack our personaities, we will atack our ideas.
Are the ideas that preponderant in the story even more than the willing perpetrators?
The perpetrators using the ideas as to their own intentions to legitimate their acts?
That are my first thoughts. I have still to reiterate in depth the whole thinking over..."

In my thread that I made parallel to this forum on Passion-Histoire: "Le Japon-période libérale d'entre-deux-guerres" I mentioned:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hakk%C5%8D_ichiu

And now I join the Temperance-Nordmann discussion of the "Je suis Charlie" thread.
And I know I am on shaking grounds, but trying to organize my thoughts... Wink

Joining Temperance about the political/religious story...
There are two types of politicians:
those who don't believe essentially what they promise to the followers, but see it in the struggle of negociating with other parties, a play of "gave and take" with the purpose to come to a compromise for the best of the several parties, especially the own party and the politicians that they are themselves?
And secondly the political zealots with a mission, who believe themselves in their "mission" and who want to impose their doctrinal belief on the rest, pushing their followers to even eliminate lifely their opponents?

And always seeking for parallels in the several Fascisms (an ongoing search in different fora) I come with that again to a minimum essential common factor: the use of a nearly religious program adhered by the leading perpertrators to seek for the fulfilment of their message.

Kind regards, Paul.

PS: Parallax, don't seek it too deep, I have only done some chemical studies, not even university...
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Liberation of the dead camps Germany Poland WWII   Liberation of the dead camps Germany Poland WWII EmptyTue 20 Jan 2015, 15:25

This is the radio broadcast by Richard Dimbleby from April 1945 about the liberation of the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp:

Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura
Gilgamesh of Uruk

PostSubject: Re: Liberation of the dead camps Germany Poland WWII   Liberation of the dead camps Germany Poland WWII EmptyTue 20 Jan 2015, 16:49

BBC tonight are broadcasting a programme (including loads of original footage from the time) on the Eichmann trial.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b050d2t9
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Liberation of the dead camps Germany Poland WWII   Liberation of the dead camps Germany Poland WWII EmptyWed 21 Jan 2015, 13:11

"Night Will Fall" is on Channel 4 in the UK on Saturday at 9pm
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Liberation of the dead camps Germany Poland WWII   Liberation of the dead camps Germany Poland WWII EmptyTue 27 Jan 2015, 09:27

27 January 1945, the Red Army liberate the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp;

Liberation of the dead camps Germany Poland WWII Tumblr_lfuw0w3EVx1qcipwbo1_500
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Liberation of the dead camps Germany Poland WWII   Liberation of the dead camps Germany Poland WWII EmptyWed 28 Jan 2015, 10:13

Drone footage of Auschwitz-Birkenau giving an impression of the sheer scale of the place:

Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Liberation of the dead camps Germany Poland WWII   Liberation of the dead camps Germany Poland WWII EmptyWed 28 Jan 2015, 21:09

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Liberation of the dead camps Germany Poland WWII   Liberation of the dead camps Germany Poland WWII Empty

Back to top Go down

Liberation of the dead camps Germany Poland WWII

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1