A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Here be dragons...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
ferval
Censura

Here be dragons... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Here be dragons...   Here be dragons... - Page 2 EmptySat 09 Apr 2016, 13:45

I feel sorry for some of those rather sweet looking wee dragons but this one is an altogether scarier proposition. The fact that it has crapped itself however makes it a tiny bit more sympathetic.

Here be dragons... - Page 2 Stgoran-och-draken

It's from the Storkyrkan in Stolkholm and attributed to Bernt Notke (1489). The statue, commissioned to commemorate the Battle of Brunkeberg (1471), also serves as a reliquary, containing relics supposedly of Saint George and six other saints; Saint Blasius, Saint Germanus, Saint Leo, Saint Martinus, Saint Donatus and Saint Cyriacus.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura
Gilgamesh of Uruk

PostSubject: Re: Here be dragons...   Here be dragons... - Page 2 EmptySat 09 Apr 2016, 17:37

Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Here be dragons...   Here be dragons... - Page 2 EmptyTue 05 Oct 2021, 13:59

The trailer has dropped for the Game of Thrones prequel which is based on George R R Martin's fake history book about the fictional Targaryen dynasty and I think a novella called The Princess and the Queen.  I haven't read the books and don't think I will, partly because I don't want to be 'spoiled' and in part because I'm a bit miffed that GRRM cranked out the prequels instead of finishing the original A Song of Ice and Fire saga.  Dragons don't feature in the trailer but my understanding (as much as someone who hasn't read the prequels can judge) is about the period of Targaryen 'history' when the dragons became extinct.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Here be dragons...   Here be dragons... - Page 2 EmptyWed 06 Oct 2021, 13:04

LadyinRetirement wrote:
The trailer has dropped for the Game of Thrones prequel which is based on George R R Martin's fake history book about the fictional Targaryen dynasty and I think a novella called The Princess and the Queen.  I haven't read the books and don't think I will, partly because I don't want to be 'spoiled' and in part because I'm a bit miffed that GRRM cranked out the prequels instead of finishing the original A Song of Ice and Fire saga.  Dragons don't feature in the trailer but my understanding (as much as someone who hasn't read the prequels can judge) is about the period of Targaryen 'history' when the dragons became extinct.

Never read the novella either, but the basic story appears in Fire and Blood, about the Targaryen Civil War, aka The Dance of Dragons in which two factions of the Targaryen family, and their Dragons, fight it out.

Here be dragons... - Page 2 2Q==
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Here be dragons...   Here be dragons... - Page 2 EmptyThu 07 Oct 2021, 16:07

The three headed dragon symbol does feature in the trailer but I notice for the new series the dragon symbol at least has four legs as well as wings.  Dany's dragons in GoT were technically wyverns because they had two legs an two wings.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Here be dragons...   Here be dragons... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Here be dragons...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: The history of ideas ... :: Religion and superstition-