A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Hi all, newbie here!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Hugh_Mosby_Joaquin
Quaestor

Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptyThu 26 Jan 2012, 11:40

[quote="Caro"]
Quote :

I have never understood why childbirth is considered the worst pain ever.
Caro.
I've never understood why childbirth is so difficult. It's as if the female of the species hasn't yet evolved to do what must be the most fundamental action that she has to undertake.
This is not intended as a a sexist issue; more a problem of design, I would say...
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptyThu 26 Jan 2012, 12:14

Quite correct HMJ, the problem is the necessary accommodation between delivering the large brained infant while retaining a pelvis that can still sustain efficient upright walking. The evolutionary solution is to have a gestation period that brings about birth at a stage when the skull can still negotiate the pelvic opening but the down side is the relative immaturity of the baby. This means the infant has to be totally supported by the mother for an extended period and from this, pretty much all of human society has developed.
Back to top Go down
normanhurst
Triumviratus Rei Publicae Constituendae
normanhurst

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptyMon 30 Jan 2012, 22:02

Anyone remember lemmylad from the beeb… he’s just made an appearance on historum, I’ve told him to come on over… keep an eye open for him.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptyWed 01 Feb 2012, 19:50

normanhurst wrote:
Anyone remember lemmylad from the beeb… he’s just made an appearance on historum, I’ve told him to come on over… keep an eye open for him.

Will do Norman,watch out for Jak as well on Historum,I missed him when he first joined,but he still puts in the occasional visit.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptyWed 01 Feb 2012, 22:07

Trike, I thought this would be worth putting here for anyone who feels strongly but might not look into historum.
There's a discussion currently on Exbeeb about an old acquaintance who has again requested to join that group there. Could the relevant folk please pop over and give their thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptyThu 02 Feb 2012, 12:15

Indeed,Ferval. The more views on this matter,the better.
Back to top Go down
shivfan
Aediles
shivfan

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptySat 03 Mar 2012, 19:25

Hi guys, great site, Nordmann....

I've been on Historum since December, but I'm getting fed up with all the moronic posts I'm seeing on that site. Fortunately, I see a lot of usernames I recognise here, so I'm sure I'll be reading more mature history discussions on this site. None of this British empire vs Roman empire nonsense - lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cricket-match-special.com/
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptySat 03 Mar 2012, 19:31

Hello there shivfan, I was wondering when you were going to pop in here. Welcome aboard. Most of us are in the bar at the moment, quelle surprise!
Back to top Go down
shivfan
Aediles
shivfan

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptySat 03 Mar 2012, 19:34

Meles meles wrote:
Hello there shivfan, I was wondering when you were going to pop in here. Welcome aboard. Most of us are in the bar at the moment, quelle surprise!
Laughing
I don't mind a quieter, slower board, once it's more civil than Historum....
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptySat 03 Mar 2012, 19:42

Yes there's quite a few of us here who've been a bit bruised on Historum Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 2973165901
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptySun 04 Mar 2012, 04:31

Welcome shivfan, glad you have made it over.
Back to top Go down
shivfan
Aediles
shivfan

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptySun 04 Mar 2012, 09:14

The air smells fresher over here....
Smile
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptySun 04 Mar 2012, 11:01

Blimey, has someone cleared away the empties and cleaned out the ashtrays?
Nice to see you shivan, some new blood is welcome!
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptySun 04 Mar 2012, 13:47

I say, we're not vampires ferval! Twisted Evil Shivfan may get a fright and run away.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura
Gilgamesh of Uruk

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptySun 04 Mar 2012, 19:43

Surely not? Can he outrun a bat?
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Nielsen

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptyMon 05 Mar 2012, 09:45

Gil,

Would you interrupt a ping pong came by throwing a bat?

Others would throw a fit!
Back to top Go down
shivfan
Aediles
shivfan

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptyTue 06 Mar 2012, 10:38

Laughing
Which one of you is Prince Vlad?
Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptyTue 06 Mar 2012, 13:08

Our dddddear DDDDDictator, of course. affraid
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptyTue 06 Mar 2012, 13:22

Vlad the Impaler is revered back home in Wallachia. Not only did he crush the boyars (who were the real sadists in that part of the world) but he singlehandedly rescued Europe from Ottoman invasion on several occasions. He also eliminated the Transylvanian Saxon stranglehold on trade with the east which had grown so extortionate that impaling was too good for 'em according to every European monarch who sent congratulations when he finally got round to it. His laws, who his successors (even the Ottomans) never dared repeal, gave everyone a voice in the judicial system regardless of social status - the first egalitarian justice system in Europe since the Iron Age Celts. The reputation for cruelty seems to have started as boyar propaganda in his own lifetime (not unsurprising since it was mostly them who were being impaled by him) and then mushroomed after his death as all those who he'd seriously pissed off during his three reigns competed with each other to rubbish him (namely said boyars, the Transylvanian Saxons and of course the Ottomans). About his only mate left at the time of his assassination was the Pope - and with friends like that ...
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura
Gilgamesh of Uruk

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptyTue 06 Mar 2012, 16:27

Plus, of course, Stoker's unjustified conflation of Vlad Drakul with the vampire legend.
Back to top Go down
Octa
Quaestor
Octa

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptyWed 07 Mar 2012, 16:39

Greetings good people of Res Historica, I have recently joined and just thought I would post a hello. Some here may have known me before, as Gary on Historum allow I was never a prolific poster. My historic interests are eclectic but centre on social history rather than the whiz bangs of the great and good. I look forward to some fine historical discussions with you all.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura
Gilgamesh of Uruk

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptyWed 07 Mar 2012, 16:43

Welcome Octa - the wider the scope of the discussions the better!
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptyWed 07 Mar 2012, 16:48

Hi Octa (sounds like a motor fuel) and welcome aboard. As you can see from the layout of the categories eclectic is just what we're aiming at here! It's a relatively new site and by no means done with renovating so feel free to offer suggestions if you think it could benefit from any changes and, most importantly, feel equally free to dive into any threads that take your fancy or indeed start your own.

We're a rum lot (though the occasional gin is welcome too) but a relatively friendly bunch, at least that is when I'm not annoying the assembly with my patent swear-filter (it filters in swearwords) or "guess-whose-appendage" quizzes.
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Nielsen

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptyWed 07 Mar 2012, 18:16

Hi Octa,

Many of us here are known to one another from the old BBC History fora, and have come to know some more people mostly with - not necessarily of - various historical interest.

Personally I am a Dane who've learned a lot of various ways of thinking since joining these various boards in the mid '00s.

- not least of spelling - en Anglais - as well ...

Enjoy, and if you like some vocal banter, please, look into the Tumbleweed Suite, anybody can have a look ...
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptyWed 07 Mar 2012, 18:37

Welcome aboard Octa!
Back to top Go down
Octa
Quaestor
Octa

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptyWed 07 Mar 2012, 20:15

Thanks for the warm welcome
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptyFri 09 Mar 2012, 11:07

Welcome, Octa. I hope you can get some discussions started. I tried to start a bit of a fight yesterday but they are all too nice and backed off. I hate smileys but a 'cat among the pigeons' one would have been useful at the time.

Social history - any period in particular? Not that I know much about anything - only a little about quite a lot - and that is patchy. Others here though have expert knowledge - or are clever about how to find it fast.

Regards, P.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptyFri 09 Mar 2012, 13:55

Hello Octa, and welcome to the boards.

Trike.
Back to top Go down
shivfan
Aediles
shivfan

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptyMon 12 Mar 2012, 13:30

nordmann wrote:
Hi Octa (sounds like a motor fuel) and welcome aboard. .

Octa, the first historical Jutish king of Kent

Cool
Back to top Go down
Arwe Rheged
Praetor
Arwe Rheged

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptyMon 23 Jul 2012, 13:25

So THIS is where you all went!

Thanks to Ferval for coming to get me! Luckily, I discovered yesterday how to access my messages on Englistory.

Regards,

AR
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptyMon 23 Jul 2012, 13:34

Welcome to the board, AR.

Trike.
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptyMon 23 Jul 2012, 15:37

Glad you found us AR, and welcome.
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Nielsen

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptyMon 23 Jul 2012, 15:42

Even if we haven't been introduced properly previously, AR, I'd like to welcome you to this place, too.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptyMon 23 Jul 2012, 16:04

Glad you made it over AR. If we could just find TwinProbe we would nearly all be assembled. And Gil of course, where has that man got to?
Back to top Go down
CASSEROLEON
Quaestor
CASSEROLEON

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptySun 12 Aug 2012, 17:36

ferval wrote:
Glad you made it over AR. If we could just find TwinProbe we would nearly all be assembled. And Gil of course, where has that man got to?
And how about me? Covertly poaching members from other wonderful sites such as Historum, UNRV and Englistory? Embarassed drunken

Can't have a clique without all of the old BBC-ers!?
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptySun 12 Aug 2012, 20:58

Hi Cass and welcome! If you've found some other old BBC-ers don't hesitate to point them here either if you wish. The more the murkier, as they say!
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptyMon 13 Aug 2012, 06:08

That's never Cass. Is that you in disguise Mat?
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptyMon 13 Aug 2012, 08:42

I've reason to believe this might be the genuine article this time, ID.

Apologies Cass if you're flummoxed by this - we had a case earlier here of someone "dropping in" using your moniker who wasn't the real deal.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 EmptyMon 13 Aug 2012, 09:18

If that's the case then, it's good to hear from you Cass. Like ID, I thought that this didn't sound like our Cass, far too brief for a start!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, newbie here!   Hi all, newbie here! - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Hi all, newbie here!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: Introductions ... :: Intros, polls, etc appear here-