A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

The Tumbleweed Suite

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Fri 19 Jan 2018, 12:56

Glad all absent ones are back with us, at least for the time being. Res His gets more like Game of Thrones all the time. Just as you think a character has left the show for good, up he or she pops again.

Think it's time for me to take a break now, to be honest. Somehow don't feel welcome here anymore.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Fri 19 Jan 2018, 19:30

deleted
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Fri 19 Jan 2018, 19:44

Temp, why did you change your post, I read the original just after you posted it this morning? I'm confused as to why you did and sincerely hope that I'm not the reappearing character and that it wasn't because of my comments about the cynic and the Christ follower in an entertaining radio play making me think of you; there was nothing implied there beyond them reminding me of the conversations in here between you and nordmann.

Anyway, enjoy your 'Strictly' trip but please promise that you won't whoop.

Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Fri 19 Jan 2018, 20:26

I misunderstood, ferval. I thought the "Christ follower" had probably been presented as a complete and utter plonker and that it was "Infamy! Infamy!" yet again.

I'm sorry I'm so touchy these days, especially about religion. I am actually a Born-Again Stoic at the moment, so there is hope for me yet. It's been an emotional week (funeral of an old friend with a burial in an ancient graveyard - all Book of Common Prayer rite and snow swirling around. Very beautiful in a Doctor Zhivago sort of  way, but utterly harrowing. I see now why people go for the Office-Leaving-Do type of funeral with the Smurf Song and/or Sid Vicious' rendition of "I Did It My Way".

Thanks for the PM, MM - much appreciated. I shall indeed report back on my experience at the Strictly Tour in Birmingham. Back up the beastly M5 - twice in a week! Just hope there is no more snow. It should be a laugh at least, which I need - although I have been well mocked this evening about it. A certain person here (in Devon, not at Res His), just can't believe I'm going to such a frivolous event, but it's just what I need. And yes, MM, do let's resurrect the Dance  thread - please!

I am glad you are back, ferval - let's hope Res His staggers on into 2018 - huffs and all. (I claim first huff of the New Year - I think I did last year, too. Oh dear.  Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed)
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Fri 19 Jan 2018, 21:07

I've just read today's quotation from my "Daily Stoic" book - it could not be more apposite: it is from Marcus Aurelius:

"Pass through this brief patch of time in harmony with nature and come to your final resting place gracefully, just as a ripened olive might drop, praising the earth that nourished it and grateful to the tree that gave it growth."

Good old Marcus - he did come up with some stunningly beautiful turns of phrase at times.

I wonder if there will be a Stoic quotation (perhaps from the Discourses of Epictetus) that I can apply to Strictly? The entry for May 21st is headed "What Kind of a Boxer Are You?" followed by a quote from this Epictetus chap (about whom I know nothing), but I can't find anything about "What Kind of a Dancer Are You?"

Perhaps the Stoics didn't do dancing. I didn't know they liked boxing actually - seems very odd.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Fri 19 Jan 2018, 21:18

Not Stoic, but Suetonius certainly remarks that Servilia (Brutus' mother, and one of Caesar's mistresses) was "more skilled at playing the lyre and dancing than a respectable woman need be".
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Fri 19 Jan 2018, 21:21

Gosh Temp, quite the opposite, both characters were thoroughly decent, intelligent and articulate coves who had fallen foul of Domitian and his increasingly paranoid nuttiness. That's why the poor stoic was shovelling the proverbial down in the cloaca.

Good luck on the motorway, the road chaos up here has been down largely to British artics not using the kind of winter tyres that are compulsory on the continent and so have damn all traction when it gets a bit parky.

Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Fri 19 Jan 2018, 23:27

@Temperance wrote:
Glad all absent ones are back with us, at least for the time being. Res His gets more like Game of Thrones all the time. Just as you think a character has left the show for good, up he or she pops again.

Think it's time for me to take a break now, to be honest. Somehow don't feel welcome here anymore.

Temperance,

at least from all of you...you cheered up my days...with your nearly art photographs underlining the context of your thoughts...
And is it only you, who are thinking you aren't welcome...
I will miss you...and I think that I can speak in the name of all the contributors to this forum ("blog") BTW what is a blog?
And I think that many of the average 20 invisible visitors are only looking to your threads...

Excuses for not visiting the fora...tonight a copious dinner...and I have eaten  a lot of desserts, from the family, who were afraid about their "line"... and when the liquid is poured in the glass I can't let it that way and have to empty it...after all I have paid for the whole "esbattement"...I thought it was French but now I see that it is Dutch...
http://www.encyclo.nl/begrip/esbattement
We use it in our dialect as an exuberant kind of feast...but now it seems following the link: a kind of comic theatre piece...I think in French they say "burlesque"

Kind regards from your friend Paul.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sat 20 Jan 2018, 06:17

Paul wrote:
I will miss you...

I'm not going anywhere, Paul (except Birmingham). I was just having my New Year's Huff!

Back on Monday, all being well!

Back to top Go down
Caro
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sat 20 Jan 2018, 06:58

I think those sort of tyres are illegal in NZ, for reasons I am not certain about.  Perhaps it's something to do with us not being used to them and maybe driving off roads through inexperience.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sat 20 Jan 2018, 09:02

Temp, while watching the Strictly show and deriving what you assume must be guilty pleasure from it, take solace from the fact that your hero and mine, the great Marcus A. himself, also began his public career in the Roman version of the same activity - performing bad dance manoeuvres every week while being judged by the great unwashed - and would have wholeheartedly understood your motives!

When he was about seven or eight he was enrolled into the "Salii" - a sort of dancing altar-boy troupe clad in mock armour rather than mock cassocks (mossocks?) - in which he rapidly rose through the elimination sessions to become the troupe's "vates", strictly speaking "prophet" but in dancing terms meaning "most likely to succeed", or "favourite to win the series" in Strictly terms.

He was even remembered for one particularly flamboyant dance routine in which he skilfully (or flukily) ended his dance by plucking a stage crown from his head and flinging it like a frisbee across the performance area, whereupon it landed plum onto the head of a nearby statue of Mars (the troupe's celestial sponsor). This was seen as a "good omen" for the lad and went down very well with the viewers, and also guaranteed he made it through to the next round even if the studio judges on the day saw it as rather more thespian than terpsichoral and rather too obvious a ploy to curry favour with the show's ultimate celebrity judge. The rest, as they say, is history.
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sat 20 Jan 2018, 10:28

Oh nordmann - I thought you were talking about Marcus Antonius for a moment...well he may have been  adept at dancing, I don't know.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sat 20 Jan 2018, 11:08

Adept? I'd say - even when being upstaged by semi-naked lassies with giant twirly fans and the whole caboodle!

Pretty sure that's Cleo thumping hell out of the goatskin too.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sat 20 Jan 2018, 15:02

@nordmann wrote:

Pretty sure that's Cleo thumping hell out of the goatskin too.

Nah, that's Octavia. As she observed to her brother, "Audi Octavio, si non eos vincere potes, eis conjuctus." (Or should that be iungere? Or is that what you do to dots? Oh, I don't know - and Asterix is unclear on this point.)

Right, I'm off now. Dah dah dah dah dah dah dah...
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sun 21 Jan 2018, 10:00

Oh dear, I'm rather laying myself open to the jokes of late, am I not?  Well now the sling is off I need to get back to work - a bit of typing and I also need to do my 2016-17 self-assessment for HMRC before 31st of the month so I may not be bringing nuggets from the loopier side of Youtube ("thank goodness" do I hear you collectively sigh?)  Glad to see ferval back in action (my computer being secondhand still has some automatic corrections put in by its previous owner and it changed 'ferval' to 'feral' though I put it right again.  I'm sure ferval isn't feral.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sun 21 Jan 2018, 10:50

Ferval's demographics as understood south of the Watford Gap suggest otherwise, but she's still welcome here. Cheers

I wasn't making a joke at your expense, Lir, regarding Marcus Antonius - just tickled to have found a modern smug version in love with himself strutting his stuff on stage surrounded by dolly birds in a manner that the original version may well have emulated in his time too. Just goes to show that the "history repeats itself" adage has much more to it than we often care to consider.

But, as Temp is going through a Strictly Stoic phase, I reckoned the Marcus A. abbreviation would save me typing out the whole "golden one" moniker. For such a lofty thinker he's been saddled with one horribly twee nickname by which posterity remembers him. His real name, Marcus Verus, would actually have worked much better for him posterity-wise given his philosophical bent, especially in the form that his imperial mentor Hadrian liked to call the studious young lad "Marcus Verissimus" (most truthful).

But I digress ....
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sun 21 Jan 2018, 12:32

Oh I'm a grown girl now, nordmann, I can take it
I know I said I was going to be a sensible (old) girl henceforth but a link to one more crazy video ("buttocks transvestigation").  The same guy (who is either flittermouse dropping loopy or a troll) also has a video about freemartins and freemasons.  Freemartins you likely know are sterile heifers  the most dodgy thing I ever heard about freemartins was that a farmer might think one had been passed on to him when he was buying heifers for his milk herd).  A flittermouse is a country word (becoming archaic now) for a bat - hence batsh*t crazy.

Last edited by LadyinRetirement on Sat 27 Jan 2018, 15:25; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sun 21 Jan 2018, 12:41

Good grief- not going out, that's for certain. According to an e-mail just received, it's National Hugging Day! Who decides on such junk? Does it happen?  Our little home is close to several churches, pubs and a busy waterfront all of which attract assorted walkers  - the benefit housing area have staffie/doberman type dogs attached, others have pushchairs, backpacks and pub glasses - or brooms if doing community service.  (Our road is ever so clean.) A street hug I have yet to see but best not venture out. Safe enough here - Res Hist types not given to it in my experience - unless of the verbal grizzly bear sort for which one needs strong armour - not amour - careful spelling P - watch out.

National Hugging Day... Oh dear!
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Consulatus

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sun 21 Jan 2018, 12:46

@Priscilla wrote:
Good grief- not going out, that's for certain. According to an e-mail just received, it's National Hugging Day! Who decides on such junk? .... Safe enough here - Res Hist types not given to it in my experience - unless of the verbal grizzly bear sort for which one needs strong armour - not amour - careful spelling P - watch out.

One doesn't need strong armour, but strong - fortified - wine! 
I'm well into the last of a vintage - 1996 - port.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sun 21 Jan 2018, 13:39

@Priscilla wrote:
Good grief- not going out, that's for certain. According to an e-mail just received, it's National Hugging Day! Who decides on such junk? Does it happen?  Our little home is close to several churches, pubs and a busy waterfront all of which attract assorted walkers  - the benefit housing area have staffie/doberman type dogs attached, others have pushchairs, backpacks and pub glasses - or brooms if doing community service.  (Our road is ever so clean.) A street hug I have yet to see but best not venture out. Safe enough here - Res Hist types not given to it in my experience - unless of the verbal grizzly bear sort for which one needs strong armour - not amour - careful spelling P - watch out.

Priscilla, about 10 years ago there were some "hugger muggers" in London - people putting their arms round others in a seemingly friendly way and 'dipping' their pockets so you are probably being sensible.  It's sleet and snow on and off here in my part of the Midlands so I'm not risking falling again.  The birds were lucky I put some food out for them.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sun 21 Jan 2018, 13:39

If I could be @rsed I would change my board name and avatar immediately: i think feral suits me rather well.

I'm not going out either, not just yet anyway. Not because of National Hugging Day, although I really don't approve of the modern habit of greeting someone you saw yesterday with big sloppy embraces, but because of the blinking snow, it's been bucketing down for hours again. Not that I have a big problem driving on untreated roads such as the one on which I live, I know how to do that pretty well unlike what seems like most drivers these days, but the pavements are death-traps. Ours are narrow, shaded and sloping, and it appears that I'm the only one in the street that slings down salt and grit (cat litter is ideal) outside the house. I did a rather spectacular half-salchow the other day and landed on my bahookie. Fortunately a lifetime's indulgence in cream, cheese and butter seems to have given these old bones a plentiful supply of calcium and they still seem pretty robust.

Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sun 21 Jan 2018, 14:50

Snow and ice? How quaint. It's 16°C outside here, though quite breezy, and my crocuses are not only up but starting to flower! Meanwhile the birds are already limbering up, clearing their throats and practising a few arpeggios and scales in readiness for the springtime, Avian Who's Got Talent contest. But I can't think these halcyon days will last for long.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sun 21 Jan 2018, 15:40

-7 where I am, and we're just back from a lovely trek around a nearby lake called Sognsvann - which means "beautiful water" and you can see why (viz picture below):

Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sun 21 Jan 2018, 17:36

So no 'Fool's Spring' in Norway at the moment? That's the concept whereby any mild weather in mid-January added to the slightly lengthening days combine to trick some into prematurely concluding that Winter is actually over. Meles' caution is wise indeed. It's neither halcyon days nor snow and ice here but something in the middle. You've guessed it. Non-stop grey drizzle all day long. Mrs V has decanted a bottle of Merlot though. So no doubt I'll be a sprung fool myself later on.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sun 21 Jan 2018, 18:36

This actually was something of a "Fool's Spring" today - never saw so many people up around Sognsvann outside of summer. They were predicting a week ago that we could expect -15 to -20 Sunday/Monday so -7 was a huge reprieve, and with a lovely sun as well everyone shot out of their traps it seems to make the most of it, myself included.

Tomorrow I believe the real winter is back and I have to head out to Lillestrøm early, so I won't be in as weather-friendly a humour by tomorrow evening, I guess.

PS: I should have added that the picture above was taken from the middle of the lake - not a clever thing to do when the ice is covered by snow. But hey, we only live twice as the wise Ms Sinatra crooned.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sun 21 Jan 2018, 19:46

And now it seems our 'Fool's Spring' is starting right now as the temperature is rising by the hour, the snow is sliding off the trees and roofs. A predicted 6C overnight and we will be into double figures tomorrow. We've had the lot over the last 4 weeks - brilliant blue skies with a heavy frost, fog, snow (more than for a good few years), thunder and lightning, downpours and the occasional really mild day to confuse us and the birds.

Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sun 21 Jan 2018, 23:50

Well I did go out today - standing in for my stepfather, who was ostensibly too ill to attend a Strauss (and Romberg, Lehar et al) concert my mother had bought tickets for. Even stuck a touch of Straus in there. Yesterday I spent delivering letters to postal voters in the byelections I mentioned recently, although it was snowing/sleeting/raining by turns., and tomorrow I'm going to a Special Needs school to do some samba drumming with the children My younger son is doing a course there to become a Special Needs teacher - that's actually the course title. I was hoping it would be the pupils rather than the teachers who had special needs, but you can't always get what you want.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 24 Jan 2018, 12:38

Minette Minor was on-line this morning when I logged in.

Minette ... should you happen to wander into the bar, then help yourself to whatever you wish, and then do please tell us all how you are ... it's been such a long time since we've heard from you.

But now while I'm here ... I may as well, you know, just the one, it being lunchtime ...

Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 24 Jan 2018, 17:33

@Meles meles wrote:
Minette Minor was on-line this morning when I logged in.

Who? Only joking, Minette - it was good to see your name on the logged-in thingy list. Hope you return and that it is not a case of veni, vidi, oscitavi.

It's just not the same now is it, since Richard III has become a National Treasure, like Cliff Richard and Vera Lynn? It was much more fun when he was our best ever villain.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 24 Jan 2018, 19:20

Temperance,                   

I am setting my first passes on a tablet Apple. Really difficult to type...
I see that Minette is over here reading for the moment. A warm welkome again Minette.

Oef, now I have done enough with Apple.

Kind regards from Paul....

Sigh
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 25 Jan 2018, 11:49

Glad to see Minette has been back.

I typed a post where I mentioned I'd quite forgotten how to open a thread.  I wanted to do a 'sensible' thread about rumour, conspiracy theory, hoaxes and speculation and the overlap.  Like, could Gelilei Galileo have been considered a conspiracy theorist when he first suggested the solar system (somebody will probably tell me now he wasn't the first person to have the idea).  He was treated ill if I remember rightly - he was tortured and he was not a particularly young man.

I don't want to open a thread to go down the 'transvestigation' rabbit hole.  One of the makers of such videos also had videos about zebras being painted mules and horses so I rather suspect he may be a prankster or troll.  I didn't watch the said video but the idea of someone painting stripes on the massive herds of zebra in Africa did conjure up quite a funny picture in my mind - he/she would have to get up very early in the morning to accomplish that job.  This particular rumour/theory may have been addressed on one of the Princes in the Tower threads but I wondered when somebody first had the idea that Margaret Beaufort killed the princes when she was under house arrest at the time or Henry VII (who I agree may not have been a particularly pleasant individual) when he was over the sea in France.  Is it down to Josephine Tay - in her book she does say that other people had had the idea Richard III was innocent before her (well in the book it's before her Inspector Grant).  Somebody was mentioned that they hoped policemen in London were more adept than Inspector Grant or the crime problem in that city would be worse than it actually is.
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Fri 26 Jan 2018, 16:27

I think we have picked the bones of  R3rd bare here - and seen them reclothed in dubious glory.
So I think it is time bring in more bottles - there used to be coffee too until island dawn after a worthy stint gave up on it. No one even talks cricket or football here anymore. And all I have to offer on that is to wonder how much of his £600000 a week the new footer player will get after tax. Most of it at a guess as they can afford verrrry gooood accountants. I would be hard pushed to spend that amount in a week let alone 52 of them; what a nightmare!
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Fri 26 Jan 2018, 22:24

Priscilla,

sorry, no contributions this evening as I read about the history of the welfare, with a history before the Bismarck and the Beveridge approach. And a history after...
Yes read the whole evening books and articles around these questions

And sorry to be so serious Wink ...

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sat 27 Jan 2018, 15:16

Priscilla, I really gave the Richard III rumours as an example but you are quite right, that topic has been mentioned many times on this site.  To be honest I have used the internet the last few days as delaying tactics regarding cracking on with my online tax return [though I have done more of it today though there are a couple of things I have to find to enter - and also putting off doing my physiotherapy exercises.  I have done my exercises though I haven't done them the recommended 3 times a day yet].

Maybe as the 'transvestigators' have a bee in their bonnet about the majority of famous people having been born the opposite sex to how they present, I have developed a bee in my bonnet about 'transvestigators'.  I don't like mean things being said about people (even if some of the maligned celebrities are people I don't particularly like).  But there's nothing I can do about it - it's up to the people maligned to bring a law suit if they feel so inclined.  (If we're talking footie, apparently David Beckham is genetically a female - gosh, his fellow players in his time at Manchester United must have been an unobservant lot).  As a retired person late in her 60s I can't control what subjects people make videos about.  I did exchange some comments with a young lady on YouTube trying to convince her that the late Princess Di wasn't a genetic male and a surrogate didn't carry the princes but to no avail.  I'm not even one of those people who put the royal family on a pedestal; I'm neutral.  They are like the weather - they are just there.  But there are loads of other things I can give my attention to - like my tax return if I don't want to be fined £100 for being late with it.  There are a couple of items (garments) I want to "make do and mend" also.  Anyway, I'd better go and do my exercises.  Yesterday I found them quite painful.  Mum always used to say the nastier a medicine tasted the better it was for the patient (well when I was a kid anyway) so maybe the more awkward I find the exercises the more good they are doing me. A girl (old lady) can dream....

Last edited by LadyinRetirement on Sun 28 Jan 2018, 15:36; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sat 27 Jan 2018, 22:40

Sorry again from Paul.

Nearly the whole day busy with trying to find a "house"? (fixed to the house) telephone with an answer apparatus. And I needed that answer apparatus urgently, while the old one was broken down (still with a tape!). But I have still an old phone connection with five pins. And all the new stuff has only a modern plug in connection. Found one but the connection pin adapter to the old device was just sold. To another supermarket of such stuff, and after endless waiting for a technician, who opened all the boxes if there was no adapter in it. And nope. In another market I found endly a device with an adapter included in the box, but it was two times more expensive than the first one. The adapter in the first shop that was not available costet only 4 Euro.
Then the whole evening seeking with the booklet to change the language it was installed in French. Then for the choice of the kind of message to be spoken by the answering apparatus after some time of ringing...oef...all done...

I am really not an erudite in all things modern technology....
I bought a new GSM for my wife....one don't find it nearly anymore...a "klaptelefoon" (folding telephone?)...and on the box was indicated: "klaptelefoon voor senioren"...One as elderly (senior) feels locked out Wink ...a phone for the stupid oldies with clear and big letters and a loud ringing...and the most essential easy to work because all is designated in a clear way with no misunderstandings...I have a GSM from 7 years ago given by a youngster, who bought some new sophisticated stuff.
And I find my old one even easier than the new senioren one. But yes the push buttons are bigger and there is more light on the screen...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sun 28 Jan 2018, 15:33

Welcome to Dirk who has just popped in. Push the above plugs and mending off the bar and order a glass on the house, Dirk - can't recall what you used to imbibe. Regards, P.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sun 28 Jan 2018, 15:44

Yes, echoing Priscilla, welcome Dirk.  I have stayed away from the more wackadoo parts of the internet today but have gone back to a slightly stronger type of painkiller because my shoulder, shall we say, knows I've done some physio exercises.  Actually the instructions from the physiotherapist say 2 - 3 times a day so yesterday's twice was within the daily remit.  At the moment I'm sticking to tea and infusions (herbal tea) in my drinking habits.  Sorry I haven't contributed anything of a more historical bent to the thread but maybe I can remedy that in future.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Mon 29 Jan 2018, 13:09

@Priscilla wrote:
I think we have picked the bones of  R3rd bare here - and seen them reclothed in dubious glory.

Painters are almost finished. Sufficiently at least to get the computer back on.

Anyway, Dick III, Talking Pictures TV, Freeview Channel 81, are showing Larry's version, ( that's the actor not the cat) on Wednesday at 6.00pm;

Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Mon 29 Jan 2018, 13:15

and here's one from 1911:

Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Mon 29 Jan 2018, 13:28

@Triceratops wrote:
@Priscilla wrote:

Anyway, Dick III, Talking Pictures TV, Freeview Channel 81, are showing Larry's version, ( that's the actor not the cat)...

Larry (that's the cat, not the actor) would make an absolutely brilliant Richard III.

Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Mon 29 Jan 2018, 13:41

I have kept away from the nutty videos recently Temperance, but while I was still looking at them somebody had 'transvestigated' Sir Larry and concluded he started out a girl - which would make Dame Plowright singularly unobservant and would beg the question did her children look a lot like the milkman?

Is that Larry the cat?  I thought he was a tabby.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Mon 29 Jan 2018, 13:57

It's Larry, heavily disguised as a British Blue.

We have a transgender cat in our village. He is Denis, aka Denise. He/she is a lovely moggy, but a real handful. He/she caused great consternation last week, running into the village church and right down the aisle in the middle of a funeral - straight past the coffin. Fortunately the lady in the coffin had been a great admirer of Denis (she had often threatened to catnap him/her), so the family saw the funny side of it - the incident actually helped relieve the tension - dear old Denis coming to "pay his respects". The Vicar handled it brilliantly.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: edited for clarity, my cat is not to be compared to MM but to his cats   Fri 02 Feb 2018, 16:11

I once saw a production of "King Lear" where a cat ran across the stage at the time Edgar was stopping Gloucester from jumping off the cliff, so there was laughter from the audience at quite the wrong time.

I think I've mentioned I am currently trying to get back to 'normal', unlike MM's  my cat is both an indoor and an outdoor cat and she does have an indoor 'loo'. Changing the kitty litter has been quite cursory while I've been poorly so today is perhaps the time I have done said job most thoroughly in about 7 weeks.Needless to say although it was dry outside the cat had to have a look at the newly changed litter though I don't think she made use of it yet.

Last edited by LadyinRetirement on Fri 02 Feb 2018, 20:11; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Fri 02 Feb 2018, 19:53

@LadyinRetirement wrote:
I once saw a production of "King Lear" where a cat ran across the stage at the time Edgar was stopping Gloucester from jumping off the cliff, so there was laughter from the audience at quite the wrong time.

I think I've mentioned I am currently trying to get back to 'normal', unlike MM my cat is both an indoor and an outdoor cat and she does have an indoor 'loo'. Changing the kitty litter has been quite cursory while I've been poorly so today is perhaps the time I have done said job most thoroughly in about 7 weeks. Needless to say although it was dry outside the cat had to have a look at the newly changed litter though I don't think she made use of it  yet.

It seems all to do with cats today, Lady.
Have a look to Temperance's "A Streetcat named Bob".
I searched a bit everywhere, but the film is or removed for copyrights or one has to subscribe for free to I don't know what...
But I was so Lucky to find it doblado in Portuguese...but Sst...when you look at it is in original English...just watched it in a hurry...have to say that film English is a bit difficult for me as it is nearly dialect (in my ears Wink, and as I am used to Queen's English... ) and so skimmed from tiome to time some minutes only to follow the essence of the film, which was interesting enough.
I will immediately put it in the "Charity" thread for Temperance.

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sat 03 Feb 2018, 11:06

I remember reading about the film of 'A Street Cat Named Bob' when it came out though I haven't actually seen it. I don't mind the occasional feel good factor film as we live in a sometimes miserable world (not that I believe in burying one's head in the sand about serious matters).  Joanne Froggatt, the blonde actress in the film, started off (or at least one of her very early acting jobs was in the programme) in British soap opera "Coronation Street".  She seems to be one of the actors/actresses who has managed to find other acting roles since leaving that show.  A few years ago she was in a series of linked (serious) plays called "The Street" and she also played the sister of Myra Hindley (a murderess) in  a TV play.  She's been in Downton Abbey (which I haven't watched) and on the more fluffy side she was in a version of Robin Hood playing the lady RH was interested in (Maid Marian having been killed off in the previous series).  It was a rather liberal retelling of the Robin Hood myth but I suppose a myth is not cut and dried like real history.

I managed to take down some old curtains yesterday and hang some new (secondhand from a charity shop) ones though I did stand on a stool to do so. My shoulder is still achy.  I've started my exercises but I'm waiting for the painkillers before I do the really gruelling ones (well gruelling to me).  Everything is relative though and on my last visit to the physiotherapy clinic I saw a lot of people who had had worse injuries than me.  Also considering some of the things MM has mentioned in his posts from time to time - going on top of the roof to mend his guesthouse for example, Sincerely Thine hanging a pair of curtains seems trivial.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sat 03 Feb 2018, 21:40

@LadyinRetirement wrote:
I remember reading about the film of 'A Street Cat Named Bob' when it came out though I haven't actually seen it. I don't mind the occasional feel good factor film as we live in a sometimes miserable world (not that I believe in burying one's head in the sand about serious matters).  Joanne Froggatt, the blonde actress in the film, started off (or at least one of her very early acting jobs was in the programme) in British soap opera "Coronation Street".  She seems to be one of the actors/actresses who has managed to find other acting roles since leaving that show.  A few years ago she was in a series of linked (serious) plays called "The Street" and she also played the sister of Myra Hindley (a murderess) in  a TV play.  She's been in Downton Abbey (which I haven't watched) and on the more fluffy side she was in a version of Robin Hood playing the lady RH was interested in (Maid Marian having been killed off in the previous series).  It was a rather liberal retelling of the Robin Hood myth but I suppose a myth is not cut and dried like real history.

I managed to take down some old curtains yesterday and hang some new (secondhand from a charity shop) ones though I did stand on a stool to do so. My shoulder is still achy.  I've started my exercises but I'm waiting for the painkillers before I do the really gruelling ones (well gruelling to me).  Everything is relative though and on my last visit to the physiotherapy clinic I saw a lot of people who had had worse injuries than me.  Also considering some of the things MM has mentioned in his posts from time to time - going on top of the roof to mend his guesthouse for example, Sincerely Thine hanging a pair of curtains seems trivial.

Lady,

"I managed to take down some old curtains yesterday and hang some new (secondhand from a charity shop) ones though I did stand on a stool to do so. My shoulder is still achy.  I've started my exercises but I'm waiting for the painkillers before I do the really gruelling ones (well gruelling to me).  Everything is relative though and on my last visit to the physiotherapy clinic I saw a lot of people who had had worse injuries than me.  Also considering some of the things MM has mentioned in his posts from time to time - going on top of the roof to mend his guesthouse for example, Sincerely Thine hanging a pair of curtains seems trivial."

Yes that recovery period is tiresome. But yes if you visit the clinic you see always people, who are much worser than you. I had after the kidney transplant operation last year also such a period. By the operation the muscles of the thighs are not immediately as before and one has to be cautious to not let go open the ....

And now start the difficulty to find the English word, while we say: de naad (the seam), but it seems not to exist in Dutch and after some painstaking research I found that they in Dutch say: "litteken" (mark, scar, cicatrice (but in my opinion is cicatrice the French of scar?)
Further in my conversation I wanted to use "speen and bloedspeen" but that too seems to not exist in Dutch, after another research I found out that in Dutch it is "aambeien" in English haemorrhoids...
http://www.vlaamswoordenboek.be/definities/term/bloedspeen

I return to my text: to let go open the scar and the release of the stitches. But a worser period was, even as it is some 35 years ago I still remember it, an operation of "bloedspeen" (aambeien: haemorrhoids) and in that time it was still really an operation of the anus...and after the operation a three week recovery and it had all to pass through that scarred ...

But enough from that...I wonder where all people are this evening...no one but you in the "café"...all at Saturday  night fever?...

BTW: Lady in retirement, if you want to see the film, it is still on the Charity thread and I checked it, it still works...
PS: for the rest of the evening searching again on my fora for the Polish and French Madagascar plan before WWII...it is a touchy thread on the American forum: Historum...and as I am writing under my own name...I will have to be careful to not disturb some nationalists, Polish and others...while when it becomes a political question, mostly history writing is the victim...
http://historum.com/european-history/133638-german-death-camps-polish-12.html

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sun 04 Feb 2018, 11:20

Well this weekend I have been sent some typing to do - tapes by a lady who doesn't dictate awfully well.  I will plod on with it as I really need to get accustomed to typing again.  I don't actually have a problem typing but I know that my speed seems to have decreased and I'm just hoping it improves gradually.  Not having done any typing for gainful employment for over 5 weeks I really don't feel inclined to do it now I have to force myself to work (and it does keep me out of mischief on the loopy end of YouTube).  The money I earn thus isn't a great deal but it does help boost my pension.

I've 'lurked' on Historum but have never posted there [well I've not joined].  I suppose one does have to be careful using one's own name.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Mon 05 Feb 2018, 21:41

@LadyinRetirement wrote:
Well this weekend I have been sent some typing to do - tapes by a lady who doesn't dictate awfully well.  I will plod on with it as I really need to get accustomed to typing again.  I don't actually have a problem typing but I know that my speed seems to have decreased and I'm just hoping it improves gradually.  Not having done any typing for gainful employment for over 5 weeks I really don't feel inclined to do it now I have to force myself to work (and it does keep me out of mischief on the loopy end of YouTube).  The money I earn thus isn't a great deal but it does help boost my pension.

I've 'lurked' on Historum but have never posted there [well I've not joined].  I suppose one does have to be careful using one's own name.

Lady, thank you so much for your entertaining reply.

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Tue 06 Feb 2018, 22:40

The whole evening with female spies and all Wink
Sparked in the time by Dirk Marinus about female spies I did some research in the time and while I saw from him today something about Violette Szabo and reading about it, I remembered to have seen a film about her. Thus I reiterated the whole subject to publish it tomorrow. Including a film about indeed Violette Szabo and one I have seen too, but sadly only in Dutch for Dirk Marinus: "The girl with the red hair" about Annie Schaft.  And much more...
Only to say that I didn't set idle at the computer, while these interesting discussions were going on on the board Wink

Kind regards to all from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 07 Feb 2018, 09:20

Deleted - stupid post.
Back to top Go down
Dirk Marinus
Praetor

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 07 Feb 2018, 19:32

Paul,

Actually her name was Hannie Schaft and for the English speaking members this Wikipedia link :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannie_Schaft

gives some information.

Dirk
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   

Back to top Go down

The Tumbleweed Suite

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 9 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: The pub ... :: The Tumbleweed Suite-