A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

The Tumbleweed Suite

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 28 Feb 2018, 11:37

Hi Ferval, how are you doing?
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 28 Feb 2018, 11:43

Well, since I'm more or less snowed in, I suppose I'm reduced to talking to you lot!

Sorry for the extended absence but I've been away house/cat sitting for in-laws in a lovely but remote house with execrable internet connection and virtually no mobile signal. I got back a couple of days ago to find the boiler acting up and a wall cupboard threatening to fall off the wall. Now there's 8" of snow outside and a 'Red' weather warning from the Met Office with predictions a a white hell to come. We're all doomed I tell you, doomed.

So now I'm off to see what you've all been nattering about and see if I can add anything even relatively sensible.

Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 28 Feb 2018, 12:02

Ferval,

how glad to see you back. With all these difficulties of Nielsen and me, I was already thinking that something happened to you too.

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 28 Feb 2018, 12:06

Glad to see you back, Ferval. Nordmann has come up with a corker of a quiz. We could really use your help.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 28 Feb 2018, 13:04

Yes, it's a beezer, I wish my knowledge of music was a bit more extensive. i can't get audio clue no 2 to work - what is it?
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 28 Feb 2018, 13:22

I had problems with some of the audio as well, but they're all right now.

Number 2 was Metallica performing "Iron Man". The answer was Robert Downey Jnr.

Eight answers still to find. Nos 6,7,10,14,17,19,22 & 25.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 28 Feb 2018, 14:41

@Triceratops wrote:
Edinburgh has been issued a Red warning for snow, The Zoo is closed, and it looks a bit quiet on the Penguin front:

Live Penguin Cam

Wait, there is definite movement

They've disappeared again

They're having the time of their lives now
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 28 Feb 2018, 15:29

Scotland is shut. No planes, trains or buses now and a stern warning issued to anyone thinking of using a car, fortunately I have no need of any today. I need bread though so there's a loaf proving as I type. The snow hasn't stopped since this morning and is forecast to continue until tomorrow so I am in hibernation mode but if I get bored I can follow the live gritter tracker and see how Grittie McVittie and his friends are getting on.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

Location : United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 28 Feb 2018, 15:41

Glad to see you are back here, ferval; you have been missed.

Just been watching the BBC News channel and the conditions up north look like a Game of Thrones set - absolutely atrocious. Do take care and stay indoors! Make sure all moggies are safe. The Red Alert warning is very rare.

We are waiting for Storm Emma to hit the south west tomorrow; when the moisture hits the icy air all hell will be let loose apparently. We are also in for something called "freezing rain" which I have never heard of; is it a new-fangled fancy name for hail? I wonder if we will go up to a Red Alert too? We are only on amber here, which is a bit puny compared with the Scottish alert.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 28 Feb 2018, 16:07

I feel a bit left out of the excitement here ... it's just raining, but at least my pipes have now all defrosted. But it's still chilly so I've lit a log fire early this evening ... in front of which the dog is sprawled, steaming away happily while his soggy fur slowly drips into a smelly puddle on the tiles.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 28 Feb 2018, 16:38

Glad to know you are well, Ferval.  

I made it back from the hospital under my own steam today (I don't live all that far away from the hospital) though I walked on the grass verge where there was one - I thought there was less likely to be ice on the grass.  I have been discharged from the Fracture Clinic today so I didn't want to end up back at square one but again I have to do whatever the equivalent is for me in my situation to getting back on  a bike when one falls off.

Maybe I did walk a bit like a penguin on my return home - anybody remember the old advertisement about Penguin chocolate bars - "Pick up a penguin, a p-p-p-penguin".....
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 28 Feb 2018, 22:58

I've been in freezing rain - it comes down as supercooled liquid, and freezes on contact with the ground. Unpleasant stuff - glazes trees, ground, and on one memorable occasion the outside of my grease jacket in my "Belstaff coat and combination" days (muso's joke retitling of "White sport coat and pink carnation" -there were many of those. "In a Martian Purkit" and "The mountains of Frome" come to mind 60 years after I encountered them as my father's unwilling assistant music librarian.)
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 01 Mar 2018, 08:26

Crikey, they have just put us on Red Alert too - from 2.00 pm today: Somerset and Devon and South Wales. It's just started to snow a bit here, but it's what I call a flurry at the moment, not exactly an ice storm or a blizzard.

I've got about a year's supply of Heinz Tomato Soup, a giant Toblerone and enough bird/cat food to last a siege, so I'm quite looking forward to curling up in front of the fire with Bosworth and a book.

Mmm - the flakes are definitely getting a bit bigger now, but still not exactly Game of Thrones Beyond the Wall in my garden.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 01 Mar 2018, 09:49

@LadyinRetirement wrote:

Maybe I did walk a bit like a penguin on my return home - anybody remember the old advertisement about Penguin chocolate bars - "Pick up a penguin, a p-p-p-penguin".....

Certainly do:

Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 01 Mar 2018, 09:50

Good morning from Narnia. At the minute the sun is streaming into the garden and the fallen snow can only be described as voluptuous; all curvaceous mounds and a fluffy marshmallow coating on everything. The cat has made today's first inspection of her territory by keeping to the sheltered edge of the path but didn't venture onto the lawn, yesterday she was bouncing (romping?) around but it too deep now.

I saw the Red Warning for the South West, that looks really nasty Temp. At least here it's powder snow and not slippy at all but it's deep enough to come over the top of my walking boots which will be annoying when I make a foray to Sainsbury's Local for a paper, milk and some more cat food later. I have plenty of the latter but the brat has decided she doesn't fancy Felix right now. That will, however, be happily mnuched when the wee feral tabby makes her twice daily feeding stop.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 01 Mar 2018, 10:29

I see Trike recalled the Penguin ad.  Here it's varying between snow on snow, sun on snow and wind on snow.  I don't think I'll go out today.  Yesterday I put my bins out because it's bin day today but whether they will be emptied remains to be seen I guess.  Tomorrow I have to go to physio at the hospital
 and after that I'm going for a wash and blow-dry of my hair (although I can now stretch my dominant arm up I'm still working on strengthening it and can't get any tangles out properly).  I'm still down a functioning heater but managed to take the one from downstairs up to my bedroom last night and back down again this morning.  I have to knuckle down to some work (typing) as the lady wants the transcript today but in my fingerless gloves my fingertips were cold so I put some 'normal' gloves on.  That slows my speed down though.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 01 Mar 2018, 11:45

@Gilgamesh of Uruk wrote:
I've been in freezing rain - it comes down as supercooled liquid, and freezes on contact with the ground. Unpleasant stuff - glazes trees, ground, and on one memorable occasion the outside of my grease jacket in my "Belstaff coat and combination" days (muso's joke retitling of "White sport coat and pink carnation" -there were many of those. "In a Martian Purkit" and "The mountains of Frome" come to mind 60 years after I encountered them as my father's unwilling assistant music librarian.)

Gilgamesh,

I was thinking about you, when I read this morning on "teletext" on TV about the release of a killing virus in New Zealand to eradicate, that's the target, of 40% of the rabbit population.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/101797178/rabbit-virus-to-be-released-nationwide
And a discussion about it:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16481072

I remember that you told about your recent disaster. I have vague rememberence of my childhood. We had some 40 rabbits, staying in brick cages, which we cleaned from time to time with hypochloryte...
Due to some legal? illlegal? release of a drug for rabbits in Australia?, the desease spread allover the world
And our whole stock died because of the "myxemathose?"...heart breaking, as my sister and I were that used to our rabbits...and I had even to hold the rabbits at the legs for my father after having been killed to prepare them for eat...but that was in the good times...
The second time time the whole stock was gone, was it seems not due to myxemathose, but to "zilt" in the ears...I found in the dictionary of the net, that that in English is "salty"?
And it remembers me of Temperance's "romp" from yesterday , which has in Dutch quite another significance Wink
And now "zilt" seems to mean in English
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=zilt
Wink Wink

Kind regards from your friend Paul.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 01 Mar 2018, 11:47

I find weight lifters gloves better than straight-up "fingerless" ones., most of which leave all of the digits exposed - weightlifter type cover all but the terminal phalanx of each finger.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 01 Mar 2018, 13:04

Paul - yes, "myxy" periodically flares up (when it has mutated) but it never kills all the wild stock, and given the known recruitment rate of rabbits it doesn't take long for them to recover. I suspect the same will happen with releasing VHD in New Zealand. Couple of low-rabbit years and then back as numerous as ever. Not sure about your "ear" condition, though. Occasionally, an ear infection will give a rabbit "head tilt" but that's not fatal in and of itself.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 01 Mar 2018, 13:38

Paul - yes, "myxy" periodically flares up (when it has mutated) but it never kills all the wild stock, and given the known recruitment rate of rabbits it doesn't take long for them to recover. I suspect the same will happen with releasing VHD in New Zealand. Couple of low-rabbit years and then back as numerous as ever. Not sure about your "ear" condition, though. Occasionally, an ear infection will give a rabbit "head tilt" but that's not fatal in and of itself.

Yes Gilgamesh, you can be right, and it could have been the second time again a flare up in the region of "myxy"...as my father never consulted a veterinary...as that was too costly in the time...
And the second time it was the end of the elevation of rabbits in our house...he changed then to chickens, small chickens, we called them English cocks...and later two little swines...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 01 Mar 2018, 13:48

I find weight lifters gloves better than straight-up "fingerless" ones., most of which leave all of the digits exposed - weightlifter type cover all but the terminal phalanx of each finger.

In the time, the Fifties my parents, both in the fish business, had "vingerlings" to work with their knives in the ice cold fish...the word seems even not to exist anymore on the mighty internet...it were the fingers cut off from a hard rubber glove and to put on the fingers, especially the thumb and the two first fingers after the thumb...
all old memories...I even remember that they were stone red in colour...

Regards from your Paul.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Fri 02 Mar 2018, 15:06

I have been discharged from the physio clinic though the lady has suggested I carry on doing a few exercises twice daily or so - the stretch is coming back but I'm still working on the strength.  I was congratulating myself on getting to the bus stop in the local shopping centre (say 15-20 mins walk from where I live depending how fast one walks; I've slowed down) in time to catch the bus - however it was on diversion the driver said; not going down my road - it was okay in the town but the road goes out to one of the country villages and apparently once past the town the road was treacherous.  I caught the bus part of the way along the alternative route and then walked through the wood and then along my road to where I live.  Looks like I got home at the right time because there were a few drops of snow starting.

I feel the cold more than when I was younger but don't tell David Icke or he might think I'm a lizard person (mind you such are supposed to be 'elite' - I don't think there are alleged to be any bog-standard lizard people and I'm certainly not elite).
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Tue 06 Mar 2018, 11:35

Of course the weather in the UK (where I live anyhow) is much milder this week* but Paul R's mention of the 'vingerlings' made me wonder if putting a pair of Marigolds (trade name of some rubber washing up gloves in the UK) over the top of 'normal' gloves might work for typing in very cold weather.  They would have to be a pair that were expressly for typing though and not doubling up as washing gloves.

* Still not tip-toeing through such early spring flowers as are about though.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Tue 06 Mar 2018, 11:44

How about disposable surgical gloves? They're very thin and tight-fitting - although like rubber gloves, such as Marigolds, they're really more effective against the wet.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Tue 06 Mar 2018, 22:07

I suppose what I could do with is something like a pad on the fingers so I could type properly.

Changing subject, I hadn't realised there was a "Famous Five" live action series on TV 40 years ago (acting rather hammy by modern standards).  I came across it on YouTube today.  I read the books when I was a child - somehow the fact that the children were from rather privileged backgrounds completely went over my head then and I never had any uneasiness about Georgina dressing tomboyish and wanting to be called George.  More innocent times.  Enid Blyton love her or loathe her did say that the girl who was the inspiration for Georgina grew up and got married and had children.  I think I wanted to be like Georgina but I was never any kind of tomboy and was probably more like Anne (only with dark hair).
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Tue 06 Mar 2018, 22:46

Lady,

just before sleep saw this.
Of course, not seen on the continent, but it could be has we have many British series overhere...
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jul/25/enid-blyton-famous-five-big-screen-adventure
https://www.goodreads.com/series/42018-the-famous-five

And of course, sweet remembrances, of my own youngster's books...
Tomorrow, more comments.

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 07 Mar 2018, 10:55

Come to think of it, after the UK voted for Brexit, some bright spark (or sparks) brought out a parody book called "Five on Brexit Island".  I mentioned some time back that in the UK we did have (in the late 60s/early 70s) some children's series from mainland Europe such as "The Flashing Blade" (Le Chevalier Tempete, Captain Zeppos (the man with the car that went on water) and Belle and Sebastien are a few I recall though I was more a young adult than a child by then.  I read the "Famous Five" books back in the day and I can remember the "Secret Seven" and the "Mystery of".... series by Ms Blyton though she wrote other things.  I'm told by people who have young children that her books are still popular today even if they are not considered by some to be the best of books.  Still, if she gets children reading I'm not complaining.

Incidentally, I saw a video about how to put on an arisaid (a length of fabric draped and fixed round the body as in the show "Outlander") for warmth - I could have done with knowing that when the Beast from the East was in full force last week.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 07 Mar 2018, 12:08

We had a whole thread about children's literature, LiR - you contributed a fair bit:

https://reshistorica.forumotion.com/t376-the-things-we-learnt-from-children-s-literature

I've just reread the whole discussion - gosh, it really was a cracking thread. Wonder why all that seems a thing of the past now? People sign in, but we no longer really discuss or argue about anything anymore.

I blame them digging up Richard III - things have ever been the same since that fateful day.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 07 Mar 2018, 12:39

@Temperance wrote:
We had a whole thread about children's literature, LiR - you contributed a fair bit:

https://reshistorica.forumotion.com/t376-the-things-we-learnt-from-children-s-literature

I've just reread the whole discussion - gosh, it really was a cracking thread. Wonder why all that seems a thing of the past now? People sign in, but we no longer really discuss or argue about anything anymore.

I blame them digging up Richard III - things have ever been the same since that fateful day.

Poor old Richard gets blamed for everything...what different people like posting about varies I guess so we need something that appeals to many posters to get us back conversing and discussing.  PG brought me here originally - I think I googled something like "Am I the only person who isn't a P_____ G_______ fan" or something of that ilk.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 07 Mar 2018, 19:20

Lady,

who is PG? If it is P.G. Wodehouse...then I was a fan in my yought...I think from 13 on...buying his pocket books in Dutch translation...on a corner bookshop in Ostend...second hand...10 Belgian Francs a tome (a bit more than 1/5 of a nowadays £)...those were the times...

One question about your message from yesterday and also to Temperance...was there in the youngster's
literature of that time not a difference between boy's books and girl ones? But perhaps there is a timelaps...? I suppose you both much younger than I...I speak now from immediately after the war and beginning of the Fifties...and the boy's books that I read, were still in the old spelling, it ony changed in 1946 and most books, especially because of the malaise after the war, were not changed to the new one...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Dutch_orthography

Kind regards to both from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 07 Mar 2018, 23:50

No, Paul, the "P" is not "Pelham" but "Philippa" and the "G" - well, think "Peck" or "chant" .......
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 08 Mar 2018, 10:38

Yes Paul, it was indeed Mrs Gregory to whom I was referring.  Mind you there a few people I know in real life (and clever people too) who consider me a Philistine for not being keen on her books.  Different strokes for different folks I suppose.  I never read any of P G Wodehouse's books but I have seen adaptations (or listened to them on the radio) on TV of some of his work and liked them.  Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry played Wooster and Jeeves respectively on TV some years ago and I had Hugh Laurie so much ingrained in my mind as Bertie Wooster that when he appeared in an American show "House" as the eponymously named doctor I couldn't take him seriously.  That wasn't Mr Laurie's fault of course.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 08 Mar 2018, 13:14

Thinking of Paul's query about different books for boys and girls when I was a child, I believe Enid Blyton's adventure books were read by both boys and girls though school stories of hers such as "The Naughtiest Girl" and "Mallory Towers" were probably aimed more at girls whereas boys had the "Jennings" school stories and I remember my brother who was (well still is) 5 years my junior reading some of the Biggles books.

Should this be on the female spies thread?  I think I mentioned a short while ago that one of the feel good factor films my senior school rented out for the end of term was based on a Phyllis Bottome book (yes, I'll plead guilty because in my silly (either early or pre-) teens I remember because I thought the name Bottome was funny).  The film I remember now was "Heart of a Child" - an Austrian boy trying to save his St Bernard dog during the privations of World War II.  Actually I think I liked the film when I saw it.  Having looked on Wikipedia I see that Ms Bottome (who became Mrs Forbes-Dennis) was married to a diplomat who was involved in MI6.  At one time the Forbes-Dennises ran a school in Austria (I may have mentioned this before on another thread) and Ian Fleming was one of their pupils.  Wikipedia states that it has been asserted that James Bond was based on a character called Mark Chalmers in "The Lifeline" by Ms Bottome but I don't know if that is true or not.  Sorry at the moment (and I think it's my laptop rather than the website) I am unable to copy any links to Wikipedia.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 08 Mar 2018, 14:03

Wasn't there a "Worrals" who was the female version of Biggles?
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 08 Mar 2018, 14:23

Wasn't there a "Worrals" who was the female version of Biggles?
Oh, maybe - but I never read those books, it was my little brother.  Biggles that is, if Worrals was a separate series of books neither of us read them.

I just reread my post about books for boys and girls and I realise it could have read as though I was saying Enid Blyton wrote "Jennings" which of course she didn't.

Going really far back on TV I remember enjoying Gerold Campion (sp?) as Billy Bunter of Greyfriars School (he was an adult - the actor I believe).  I don't know if records of shows that old exist.  I remember I hated "Crackerjack" - and pretty much anything with Eamon Andrews in.  I may have said on another thread that I always shouted 'Boo' when everyone said 'Hurray' on "Crackerjack.  He (EA) wasn't so bad as a presenter later on commercial TV with 'The Eamon Andrews Show' but that was probably because he had good guests.  Apparently Cassius Clay (as he still was then) liked EA though when one British interviewer asked him if he knew that Eamon used to be a boxer CC asked "What did he used to box, oranges?".

Last edited by LadyinRetirement on Thu 08 Mar 2018, 16:57; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 08 Mar 2018, 14:28

Ah yes - Seamus Android as "Round the Horne" portrayed him - dropped Colemanballs before Coleman. Apparently, the 11-book "Worrals" series was written in WWII and post-war in an officially authorised attempt to get girls to join the WAAF.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 08 Mar 2018, 21:10

@LadyinRetirement wrote:
Yes Paul, it was indeed Mrs Gregory to whom I was referring.  Mind you there a few people I know in real life (and clever people too) who consider me a Philistine for not being keen on her books.  Different strokes for different folks I suppose.  I never read any of P G Wodehouse's books but I have seen adaptations (or listened to them on the radio) on TV of some of his work and liked them.  Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry played Wooster and Jeeves respectively on TV some years ago and I had Hugh Laurie so much ingrained in my mind as Bertie Wooster that when he appeared in an American show "House" as the eponymously named doctor I couldn't take him seriously.  That wasn't Mr Laurie's fault of course.

Lady in retirement,

never heard about Philippa Gregory...and now today for the first time...you have to know that we continentals are a bit out of the realm of the United Kingdom...but perhaps I can say the same about our big German brother in the East...perhaps a bit more knowledge of The Netherlands and our big Southern neighbour France...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippa_Gregory

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 08 Mar 2018, 21:26

No, Paul, the "P" is not "Pelham" but "Philippa" and the "G" - well, think "Peck" or "chant" .......

Gilgamesh, you old fox,

now I understand..."... Peck" and "... chant"... Wink

Kind regards from an addicted to your wit...but sometimes it is difficult for a poor "soul" as I, to understand it immediately...but it seems the second is the real wit...Pelham Grenville (Grandeville?) Wodehouse?
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 08 Mar 2018, 21:33

Paul - I cannot bring myself to write the two halves of the pestilential woman's name on the same day, let alone in the same post.
Back to top Go down
Caro
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 08 Mar 2018, 21:40

I enjoyed the Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry adaptations very much, too, LIR.  So much so that when I eventually read a Jeeves and Wooster book it just felt like I was watching the television series except that it took me a lot longer to read than to watch. So I didn't read any more Wodehouse for quite a while, except for the last PSmith book. 

Did though devour the Malory Towers books as a child.  Still think of Darrell, Zeralda, Alicia, Mavis etc. occasionally, even though it is many years since I read them.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 08 Mar 2018, 21:54

Gilgamesh,

"Apparently, the 11-book "Worrals" series was written in WWII and post-war in an officially authorised attempt to get girls to join the WAAF."

I did some quick research on the internet and came indeed with "worrals" to what you said:
I think from a Dutch site:
https://www.biggles.nl/en/worrals.html
And the "Worrals seems to have never been translated into Dutch.
I have a vague rememberance that I read some Biggles' books in Dutch, but I see now that the first one was only from 1965...
https://www.boekenwebsite.nl/kinder-jeugd/biggles-als-kwajongen
And in the Sixties I started already to read English and French novels in their original language...and in that time my younster period was already closed (although not sure if I ever have left my youngster period...at least my wife says it...)...and hard working as a laborant in the paint department of a big agricultural combine factory...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 08 Mar 2018, 22:05

Lady,

" Having looked on Wikipedia I see that Ms Bottome (who became Mrs Forbes-Dennis) was married to a diplomat who was involved in MI6.  At one time the Forbes-Dennises ran a school in Austria (I may have mentioned this before on another thread) and Ian Fleming was one of their pupils.  Wikipedia states that it has been asserted that James Bond was based on a character called Mark Chalmers in "The Lifeline" by Ms Bottome but I don't know if that is true or not.  Sorry at the moment (and I think it's my laptop rather than the website) I am unable to copy any links to Wikipedia."

Yes I found it all as you said on the internet, but will it publish on the "spies thread"

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 08 Mar 2018, 22:10

Ah yes, Paul. It has often been said "Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional". I suspect part of the (relative) obscurity of the "Worrals" books is the date - a decade and more after the peak of Biggles' popularity. Possibly, the author was less in touch with his intended audience. (btw- the "Captain" bit was never his service rank, purely a nom-de-plume).
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Triumviratus Rei Publicae Constituendae

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sat 10 Mar 2018, 14:06

Regarding tweets,

The winner of the Chicago Tribune's best Tweet of the week ...

I thought my vasectomy would keep my wife from getting pregnant, but apparently it just changes the color of the baby.

I'd better get me coat
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Tue 13 Mar 2018, 16:47

I saw the lady doctor at my local practice today on a follow-up to something I saw her about in November.  Anyway, it seems my breasts are as normal as they can be at sixty-something and I haven't had the ache since she gave me the form to monitor the pain last November.  She wanted to see me about my recent fracture and as I am already taking a calcium and vitamin D tablet because my bones had thinned (I started on them before I had the fall) she's prescribed another tablet which is to be taken once a week but has possible side effects, namely:

ache in the jaw and possibly making the jaw more likely to break,
increased likelihood of unusual (she said 'atypical') fractures,
and indigestion (I'm already on an indigestion tablet because of what I'm taking re: the coeliac disease).

She did say that it's rare for people to suffer these side effects.

I'm sure I read somewhere that exercise can help osteoporosis so I'll have to try doing a little more walking even if it's only round the block.  It the weather is particularly nasty I suppose I could walk up and downstairs a few times rather than go outside.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Tue 13 Mar 2018, 19:44

@LadyinRetirement wrote:
I saw the lady doctor at my local practice today on a follow-up to something I saw her about in November.  Anyway, it seems my breasts are as normal as they can be at sixty-something and I haven't had the ache since she gave me the form to monitor the pain last November.  She wanted to see me about my recent fracture and as I am already taking a calcium and vitamin D tablet because my bones had thinned (I started on them before I had the fall) she's prescribed another tablet which is to be taken once a week but has possible side effects, namely:

ache in the jaw and possibly making the jaw more likely to break,
increased likelihood of unusual (she said 'atypical') fractures,
and indigestion (I'm already on an indigestion tablet because of what I'm taking re: the coeliac disease).

She did say that it's rare for people to suffer these side effects.

I'm sure I read somewhere that exercise can help osteoporosis so I'll have to try doing a little more walking even if it's only round the block.  It the weather is particularly nasty I suppose I could walk up and downstairs a few times rather than go outside.

Lady in retirement,

don't say it to me, if you see the side effects of the Advagraf/Tacrolimus that I have to take for lowering my immune system, you would really get depressive...
http://chealth.canoe.com/drug/getdrug/advagraf
And about the interaction of the antibioticum Cyporfluoxin that I first took instead of Augmentin, with Advagraf/Tacrolimus
http://renalfellow.blogspot.be/2008/11/tacrolimus-drug-interactions.html

And I do the same as you each day 1.5 km walking (one mile?) and if bad weather I have the wife's  "loopband" (walking machine?) and I use also each day her twisting machine (X 100) and her "stomach muscle exercise" machine (X 50) that she both not uses ...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 14 Mar 2018, 09:16

Lord, LiR, you do sound sunk in cosmic gloom - nearly as bad as I was yesterday. Serious suggestion - have you thought of joining a local gym or Fitness Centre? Much better than tramping up and down the stairs on your own. Sometimes the NHS will cover/help towards fees if there is an underlying medical issue like osteoporosis. Most centres do gentle classes for the over50s and it's a good way of having fun - you don't have to use the weights at a gym if it's not your thing (it's not mine - I just like jumping about to music - really good for the old beta endorphin release).

Mind you, I remember one of the pictures nordmann posted on the Great Captions Challenge which reminded me of me attempting to do Pilates - I think I laughed for an hour after seeing it. I've had a quick look, but can't find it - it might cheer you up.

Take care and, like me yesterday, sing a few choruses of "Always Look On the Bright Side of Life" - usually works a treat.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 14 Mar 2018, 09:30

I've read your links Paul and I think I remember you having mentioned receiving incorrect medicine.  That does sound like some serious medication - I think the conditions I have like coeliac disease and a tendency towards rheumatoid arthritis (though not [as yet as least] full blown) are to do with weaknesses in the auto-immune system - even the hay fever which I have to look forward to in spring.

Temperance, although the developers have been to town with a vengeance in my neck of the wood over the last few years there are still some open fields where the river (a tributary of the Trent) its own tributary and a couple of brooks and the canal are to be found (none of which are large waterways but the flood plain does flood when there is a fair amount of rain) so it is possible to have a pleasant walk.  The up and down stairs was for if the weather was bad (I'm nervous about slippery conditions under foot since my fall in December).  I did used to belong to a keep fit to movement with the local U3A but the lady running the class (a) hurt her leg (b) moved away to be nearer her married daughter and although I have seen other classes advertised they have always clashed with something else.  The church hall (quite a large) one where I go for the sign language class may have an exercise class for people who are shall we say, not 18 any more so I could look into that.  I'm not that down really - or wasn't - but I was thinking that well - if in some cases this tablet made breakages more likely than unlikely was it really worth it?
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 14 Mar 2018, 09:52

After much diligent searching I've found the picture of me doing Pilates:

Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 14 Mar 2018, 10:13

I'll move my Rave post to here - more appropriate perhaps:

This story was told me last night and it made me laugh so much I ended up crying. A friend told me how he had once been discussing Pontius Pilate with a group of students and one attempted to correct his Latin pronunciation. The young person observed that the "e" on the end of Pilate is usually pronounced - as in Pilates, the fitness system.

It will always be Pontius Pilates for me now - the Roman with the best core muscles in Judaea.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 14 Mar 2018, 10:21

Stephen Hawking was at the BBC for an appearance on Newsnight.  Producer in room setting up for interview. Pulled out lead for light and Hawking slumped forward in chair like disconnected something vital. Producer runs for help, returns to room to find Hawking chuckling.

EDIT:
the actual story:

BBC Hawking

Last edited by Triceratops on Wed 14 Mar 2018, 15:59; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   

Back to top Go down

The Tumbleweed Suite

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 11 of 21Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum