A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Don't Say Cheese

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Meles meles
Censura

Don't Say Cheese - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Don't Say Cheese   Don't Say Cheese - Page 2 EmptyThu 31 May 2018, 09:07

Temperance wrote:
G.K.Chesterton once noted that "poets have been mysteriously silent about cheese".

My forthcoming work in five volumes, "The Neglect of Cheese in European Literature", is a work of such unprecedented and laborious detail that it is doubtful if I shall live to finish it. Some overflowings from such a fountain of information may therefore be permitted to springle these pages. I cannot yet wholly explain the neglect to which I refer. Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese. Virgil, if I remember right, refers to it several times, but with too much Roman restraint. He does not let himself go on cheese. The only other poet I can think of just now who seems to have had some sensibility on the point was the nameless author of the nursery rhyme which says: "If all the trees were bread and cheese"--which is, indeed a rich and gigantic vision of the higher gluttony.

He would certainly seem to have enjoyed his food, with or wthout cheese. For some strange reason I'd always thought that he was quite a small man - perhaps I was equating him with anguished philosophers and penniless poets generally - but, au contraire, he was enormous:

Don't Say Cheese - Page 2 Gkc3
A full fat G.K. Chesterton.

PS. It was his birthday two days ago (29 May 1874).

Last edited by Meles meles on Sat 02 Jun 2018, 14:43; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : a typo - I'd taken the "p" out of them philosophers)
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Don't Say Cheese   Don't Say Cheese - Page 2 EmptyThu 31 May 2018, 11:02

Anybody else think that GKC - in the picture posted by MM - looks a bit like the late Patrick Moore of Sky at Night fame.  I did like the BBC series adapted from the "Father Brown" mysteries - okay, may be low brow but I can't read War and Peace in the original Russian EVERY day.*

While we are thinking of cheese, I tend to buy any cheese I eat from the local Co-op because it sells vegetarian cheese, though I suppose that is not strictly speaking "vegetarian" because it is made of milk which comes from an animal.  I think what they mean is that the cheese is made with vegetarian rennet.

* Obviously I don't read War and Peace every alternate day - especially not in Russian as I don't speak that language.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Don't Say Cheese   Don't Say Cheese - Page 2 EmptyThu 31 May 2018, 22:19

LadyinRetirement wrote:
Anybody else think that GKC - in the picture posted by MM - looks a bit like the late Patrick Moore of Sky at Night fame.  I did like the BBC series adapted from the "Father Brown" mysteries - okay, may be low brow but I can't read War and Peace in the original Russian EVERY day.*

While we are thinking of cheese, I tend to buy any cheese I eat from the local Co-op because it sells vegetarian cheese, though I suppose that is not strictly speaking "vegetarian" because it is made of milk which comes from an animal.  I think what they mean is that the cheese is made with vegetarian rennet.

* Obviously I don't read War and Peace every alternate day - especially not in Russian as I don't speak that language.

Lady,

"vegetarian" you said...
Why not try once seaweed...and you can use dried seawood powder as salt...
There is now a fish restaurant near Ostend specialized in dishes with seaweed...seaweed with fish...as with your milk, fish is also non vegetarian...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edible_seaweed

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Don't Say Cheese   Don't Say Cheese - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Don't Say Cheese

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2