A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Fakers, Faking it and Faked

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
LadyinRetirement
Censura

Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 EmptyFri 29 Jun 2018, 12:36

This thread has gone quiet but I liked it.  Anyway, I decided to have a look at the Museum of Hoaxes website again, mainly because I wanted to lighten my mood because the news often seems so gloomy these days.  Anyway, this item about eggs being artificially "dirtied" for the good people of the Netherlands back in the 1970s because folk were suspicious of the factory-cleaned eggs appearing in the supermarket made me chuckle.  [url=hoaxes.org/weblog/comments/artificial_dirty_eggs]hoaxes.org/weblog/comments/artificial_dirty_eggs[/url]
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 EmptyFri 29 Jun 2018, 22:58

LadyinRetirement wrote:
This thread has gone quiet but I liked it.  Anyway, I decided to have a look at the Museum of Hoaxes website again, mainly because I wanted to lighten my mood because the news often seems so gloomy these days.  Anyway, this item about eggs being artificially "dirtied" for the good people of the Netherlands back in the 1970s because folk were suspicious of the factory-cleaned eggs appearing in the supermarket made me chuckle.  [url=hoaxes.org/weblog/comments/artificial_dirty_eggs]hoaxes.org/weblog/comments/artificial_dirty_eggs[/url]

Lady,

I will not abhor you with stories how my family let north sea shrimps view as fresh cooked and just fished from the North Sea and cooked on board of the ship...
uncooked
Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 Brown-shrimpjpg-8697123004da8455_large
cooked
Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 1024px-Crevettes_grises

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crangon_crangon

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Caro
Censura
Caro

PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 EmptySun 01 Jul 2018, 06:00

The egg story reminds me of how people used to (still do?) artificially brighten yolks so they would appear to be like farm ones with bright yellow yolks.  Now we either get our eggs from our son's hens or buy free range ones (though how free range they really are is a moot point, certainly not running around the farms like ours used to).
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 EmptySun 01 Jul 2018, 13:00

Caro wrote:
I remember the fuss about John Stonehouse.  Odd the things you remember compared to the things you forget.  If you just mentioned his name I wouldn't have been able to say what he was known for, but when the details are given to me, it all comes back.

Same here Caro. Neither had I appreciated that Stonehouse and Lucan had disappeared within a fortnite of each other as Meles pointed out. And only 11 months later came the shooting of the Great Dane dog in the keep of Norman Scott former lover of Jeremy Thorpe MP. It seems that the mid-1970s saw some spectacular personal melt-downs among quite a few members of the UK ruling class.
Back to top Go down
Dirk Marinus
Consulatus
Dirk Marinus

PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 EmptyMon 02 Jul 2018, 21:42

rReading  through the topic and seeing it is all about faking, fake news etc what are your thoughts on the alleged chemical attacks in other words the one in Douma (Syria) April 7 2018 and the alleged poisoning of the Russian spy and his daughter in Salisbury England.

As far as the Douma attack is concerned OPCW chemical weapons inspectors have been visiting the side but what was their verdict.

About the Salisbury poisoning incident yes fingers were pointed to Russia but what is the truth?

Anyway about the Douma chemical attack have a read through :

https://news.sky.com/story/sky-views-the-truth-what-really-happened-in-douma-11342067

Dirk
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 EmptyTue 03 Jul 2018, 23:21

Caro wrote:
The egg story reminds me of how people used to (still do?) artificially brighten yolks so they would appear to be like farm ones with bright yellow yolks.  Now we either get our eggs from our son's hens or buy free range ones (though how free range they really are is a moot point, certainly not running around the farms like ours used to).

Caro,

how do they that artificially? Don't get me started on North Sea scrimps...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 EmptyTue 03 Jul 2018, 23:25

Dirk Marinus wrote:
rReading  through the topic and seeing it is all about faking, fake news etc what are your thoughts on the alleged chemical attacks in other words the one in Douma (Syria) April 7 2018 and the alleged poisoning of the Russian spy and his daughter in Salisbury England.

As far as the Douma attack is concerned OPCW chemical weapons inspectors have been visiting the side but what was their verdict.

About the Salisbury poisoning incident yes fingers were pointed to Russia but what is the truth?

Anyway about the Douma chemical attack have a read through :

https://news.sky.com/story/sky-views-the-truth-what-really-happened-in-douma-11342067

Dirk

Dirk, as I studied it all a bit in depth on the French forum Passion Histoire I will comment tomorrow.

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 EmptyThu 05 Jul 2018, 21:57

Dirk,

thanks for the article. It depicts exactly the controversies of to day news. And it is all in our common memory when we were at the BBC messageboard, Tony Blair's weapons of mass destruction and the suicide of the British scientist in connection with the case.
The red thread (de rode draad) through the two poison gas incidents is in my opinion that Assad was winning...on the latest so-called attack with represailles of the US, the UK and France was within hours of victory...as the same in the first so called attack...why oh why would he then use poison gas as normal bombing is as effective not to say more effective...I thought Assad is perhaps a tyrant, but I don't think he is stupid, nor the Russians present overthere...
And the so called "attacks" happened each time when the rebels needed the ultimate support of the West (and Saudi-Arabia) to survive...
Will tomorrow comment the UK poisining and in our Belgium the Iranian plot...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 EmptyWed 08 Aug 2018, 15:05

There is a school of thought that thinks the scientist who committed suicide after the "weapons of mass destruction" controversy was murdered.  I don't know either way.  He was treated somewhat shabbily I feel because his scholarship was belittled.  I mentioned somewhere on the site but can't recall where that the scientific community in the UK spoke out and said that his scholarship was NOT rubbish but sound. In a lighter vein I found something on Wikipedia about some hoaxes pulled off by students back in the day "The Dreadnaught Hoax" and the "Zanzibar Hoax".  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreadnought_hoax

Moreover there was the undercover reporter also known as the "fake sheikh".  He did uncover some corrupt practice but did end up in prison.  https://www.theguardian.com/.../fake-sheikh-mazher-mahmood-exposed-own-sting
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 EmptySat 11 Aug 2018, 16:38

I mentioned something about 'lookalikes' on another thread and association of ideas made me think of times when one person has impersonated another.  Quite a well-known one is the Martin Guerre one (I'm not going to go into detail about it because it is well-known and there have been dramatisations of the story over the years but I will link to the Wikipedia entry on the subject.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Guerre  (Apologies if this has been mentioned on the website earlier).  There was also the Tichborne case in Victorian times when somebody made a claim to the Tichborne baronetcy.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tichborne_case  The Tichborne claimant seems to have ended up better than the false Martin Guerre - the Tichborne claimant was sent to jail but the false Martin was hanged.  Well, today we are still told to be careful of our details in case of identity theft.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 EmptySun 12 Aug 2018, 23:05

LadyinRetirement wrote:
There is a school of thought that thinks the scientist who committed suicide after the "weapons of mass destruction" controversy was murdered.  I don't know either way.  He was treated somewhat shabbily I feel because his scholarship was belittled.  I mentioned somewhere on the site but can't recall where that the scientific community in the UK spoke out and said that his scholarship was NOT rubbish but sound. In a lighter vein I found something on Wikipedia about some hoaxes pulled off by students back in the day "The Dreadnaught Hoax" and the "Zanzibar Hoax".  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreadnought_hoax

Moreover there was the undercover reporter also known as the "fake sheikh".  He did uncover some corrupt practice but did end up in prison.  https://www.theguardian.com/.../fake-sheikh-mazher-mahmood-exposed-own-sting

Lady,

"There is a school of thought that thinks the scientist who committed suicide after the "weapons of mass destruction" controversy was murdered.  I don't know either way.  He was treated somewhat shabbily I feel because his scholarship was belittled.  I mentioned somewhere on the site but can't recall where that the scientific community in the UK spoke out and said that his scholarship was NOT rubbish but sound."

Yes we were at that time at the BBC history messageboard...normally if you had some critics you received  a letter that you had to rewrite your message because it broke the BBC rules...but not that time, you could freely write your opinion without restriction, I guess because the BBC was hurt directly in her "being" about her role as independent...for me that was one of the great moments of British history...although as I see now, the politics stand above the independency of the BBC...
And yes you are right some murder "conspiracionists"
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/jul/16/david-kelly-death-10-years-on

In my opoinion it was still a suicide...it is a bit as the Assad chemical bombings in Syria (while Assad as later is confirmed was only hours away from the victory on the rebels with "normal" stuff, why would he in this ultimate stage use chemicals to disturb his victory? The same with David Kelly, who had advantage of his murder...all matters were already revealed...it was only a question of days until the truth would be confirmed...Kelly's role was done...but for the "person" Kelly it was quite another thing...and I understand Blair..alaways too quick a bit the American way....start without confirmation...the "aim" has to be "proven", whatever the reality...
As the Tonkin incident:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_of_Tonkin_incident

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Dirk Marinus
Consulatus
Dirk Marinus

PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 EmptyMon 13 Aug 2018, 18:59

Paul,

you mentioned Assad and a chemical bombing attack.

Remember the so-called chemical bomb attack on April 7th in Duma (Syria)  this year and all the pictures and TV footage of civilians being hosed down by hospital staff and volunteers who were not even wearing protective clothing.

OPCW chemical weapons inspectors were dispatched to Duma to gather evidence of the chemical attack yet even now there has been absolutely no information  if they have found evidence of a chemical attack.
So was there a chemical attack and Assad was to blame?

Dirk
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 EmptyMon 13 Aug 2018, 21:36

Yes Dirk and there was also a so called attack in 2017 just when the rebels were losing and the tide was turned against the rebels. That one I followed even more...
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-43697084
Read once item 15 from the UN report, which was in the BBC link
https://reliefweb.int/sites/reliefweb.int/files/resources/N1734930.pdf
The pit from the so called sarin bomb was already filled with concrete...and all the information and pictures came from the rebels and if I recall it well Turkish doctors...no reiliable information from undependent Western sources, up to what I know...
There was a debate on the French Salon Géopolitique and even there a French speaking Belgian was reprimanded by the forum moderators for commenting this issue as I do now...he provided a report from the French security service that along the papers had proof of the chemical attack and the report was online...and each time it had to answer a crucial question it said according to this or this source (anytime from the rebels) "it could be that"...and from so called unbiased sources: "they think that"...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 EmptyWed 15 Aug 2018, 14:29

This may be "old news" but I wanted to bring something a bit light on to the board.  Some of today's real life news seems to be depressing and I don't think anything as big as the collapse of the Italian motorway bridge could be "fake news".  But anyway, I know I mentioned some nutty videos at one point claiming that some male stars were in fact female and vice versa but it does seem that a female has been played by a male in a number of films and the character is...Lassie, the dog.  www.lassieweb.org/lassfact.htm  Though it does say that some of Lassie's stunt doubles were females.  An article from 1993 (so doesn't mention the Lassie in the 2005 film) says that female collies lose their coats when they go into heat twice a year [url=articles.orlandosentinel.com › Collections › Lassie]articles.orlandosentinel.com › Collections › Lassie[/url]
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 EmptySat 18 Aug 2018, 09:38

I read something where a Scotsman was visiting various locations for the series Outlander (involves a time travelling nurse from the 1940s going back to the time of the 1745 Jacobite rebellion).  The money behind the series is from North America, I think, and the series of books on which the TV show is based was written by an American lady.  Anyway, I thought well at least the show runners went to Scotland to shoot the programme.  One of my hate watches from my younger years Daktari (about an American vet in Africa) I recall was shot in "Africa USA"  One of my other hate watches from back then The Travels of Jamie McPheeters which was a boy eponymously named on a wagon train going west at the time the American west was being settled at least was shot in the correct location.  I hadn't realised that little Jamie McPheeters was played by a young Kurt Russell who went on to marry Goldie Hawn.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 EmptySun 19 Aug 2018, 21:11

LadyinRetirement wrote:
I read something where a Scotsman was visiting various locations for the series Outlander (involves a time travelling nurse from the 1940s going back to the time of the 1745 Jacobite rebellion).  The money behind the series is from North America, I think, and the series of books on which the TV show is based was written by an American lady.  Anyway, I thought well at least the show runners went to Scotland to shoot the programme.  One of my hate watches from my younger years Daktari (about an American vet in Africa) I recall was shot in "Africa USA"  One of my other hate watches from back then The Travels of Jamie McPheeters which was a boy eponymously named on a wagon train going west at the time the American west was being settled at least was shot in the correct location.  I hadn't realised that little Jamie McPheeters was played by a young Kurt Russell who went on to marry Goldie Hawn.

Lady,

you...you English ones..."One of my hate watches from my younger years Daktari "
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hatewatch
OOPS Lady and I wanted to correct you with the film that I saw in 1963 in Ostend...hatewatch once again Daktari...
But of course it was "Hatari"
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056059/videoplayer/vi3528458265?ref_=tt_ov_vi

And now I understand that you hatewatched Daktari
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daktari

You had better looked to our Armand Denis on the BBC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armand_Denis
And as Han Suyin that I mentioned here several times on this board spoke about this Armand as they I suppose were cousins They both were from the Antwerp/Brussels family "Denis" and I think the aunt mentioned her under was the mother of Han Suyin...
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1429790/Michaela-Denis.html
"It was in New York that she met Armand Denis, who, 17 years older than her, had already had an extraordinarily diverse career. Born in Antwerp, the son of a Belgian judge, and related through an aunt to Han Suyin, author of A Many-Splendoured Thing, he fought in the First World War before escaping to England, where he read chemistry at Oxford and encountered Sir Julian Huxley."

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 EmptyMon 27 Aug 2018, 13:41

Belated thanks for your above post, Paul. I didn't know of the family connection between Armand Denis and Han Suyin.  I never read Love is Many-Splendoured Thing though the song from the film was popular when I was but a tot.  I used to think its title was "Love is a Very Splendid Thing".

But I wanted to post something current.  Just so everybody knows the British news media have their priorities right there is mention today of "fake vanilla" as in vanilla ice cream with neither real vanilla nor real cream.  [url=https://www.independent.co.uk %E2%80%BA News %E2%80%BA UK %E2%80%BA Home News]https://www.independent.co.uk › News › UK › Home News[/url]  Though to be fair, there has been mention of more serious matters such as people close to President Mr Trump being arrested.

Looking upthread, Caro seems to be very sensible getting eggs from a source she knows.  Last time I tried to buy farm eggs the hens hadn't been laying!!  Well I tried.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 EmptySat 08 Sep 2018, 10:59

As most people on this board are not religious I don't suppose they will care either way about this one, but an old hoax seems to have resurfaced.  Basically it's the old chestnut that the Jesuits take an oath to try to take down just about everybody who is of a different religious persuasion to Catholic.  Robert Ware  who instigated the forgery was from around the time of the Titus Oates (of the bogus papish plot).  Some people seem to believe the hoax unfortunately.  I'm not saying people have to be pro-Jesuit or pro-Catholic but they should get their facts right.  [url=thisrecording.com/today/2009/8/7/in-which-a-forgery-just-breaks-our-heart.html]thisrecording.com/today/2009/8/7/in-which-a-forgery-just-breaks-our-heart.html[/url]
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 EmptySat 08 Sep 2018, 20:29

LadyinRetirement wrote:
As most people on this board are not religious I don't suppose they will care either way about this one, but an old hoax seems to have resurfaced.  Basically it's the old chestnut that the Jesuits take an oath to try to take down just about everybody who is of a different religious persuasion to Catholic.  Robert Ware  who instigated the forgery was from around the time of the Titus Oates (of the bogus papish plot).  Some people seem to believe the hoax unfortunately.  I'm not saying people have to be pro-Jesuit or pro-Catholic but they should get their facts right.  [url=thisrecording.com/today/2009/8/7/in-which-a-forgery-just-breaks-our-heart.html]thisrecording.com/today/2009/8/7/in-which-a-forgery-just-breaks-our-heart.html[/url]

Lady,

I just let appear your link. nordmann said something about it, but I don't know what you are (misdoing/ misdoet Wink ) doing wrong...
http://thisrecording.com/today/2009/8/7/in-which-a-forgery-just-breaks-our-heart.html
http://thisrecording.com/

"This Recording
is dedicated to the enjoyment of audio and visual stimuli. Please visit our archives where we have uncovered the true importance of nearly everything. Should you want to reach us, e-mail alex dot carnevale at gmail dot com, but don't tell the spam robots. Consider contacting us if you wish to use This Recording in your classroom or club setting. We have given several talks at local Rotarys that we feel went really well"...hmm....

PS: I didn't listen also to the good and wise advice of nordmann, doing the quick search on the web while let the RH window open and then from time to time when returning my elaborated message is gone...but I guess I can work faster not following the nordmann advice...?

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 EmptyMon 17 Sep 2018, 16:57

This article on the Royal Society of Chemistry website was interesting (well it was interesting to me at least) - explaining chemical methods for differentiating forgeries from the real deal.  In this case it is the pigment "Indian yellow".  I will paste the link (and cross my fingers that it works) as the article explains the subject much better than I can.  https://www.chemistryworld.com/opinion/the-great-art-forgery.../3007768.article  I was actually looking for something about false Mughal miniatures and smuggling them out of India (which I saw something about on TV in about 1990 in a programme presented by Bamber Gascoigne.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 EmptyMon 17 Sep 2018, 21:25

Lady,

I copied the link as it appears here into google and there I found this:

https://www.chemistryworld.com/opinion/the-great-art-forgery-blunder/3007768.article

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 EmptySat 22 Sep 2018, 15:41

Thinking of clones, Tracey Ullman and Co had a bit of fun with the Melania Trump has been replaced rumour.  Actually the actress playing Melania does look a bit like her, I wonder if..............no not, really.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 EmptyThu 29 Nov 2018, 18:22

I listened to a podcast recently which mentioned the J T Leroy literary hoax.  I remember someone (Trike?) mentioned the Naked Came the Stranger hoax.  You may know of the J T Leroy hoax already but just in case not a writer called Laura Albert pretended that some books which were her work had been written by a teenage boy called J T Leroy from rural Virginia (and Ms Albert did not come from there).  Some famous people were taken in by the hoax.  Wikipedia explains it much better than I can so here is the link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JT_LeRoy

Edit:  LiR's memory isn't what it was.  I had already mentioned the J T Leroy hoax back in April (oh woe is me, egg on face).

The podcast was a true crime one "robertaglass" and the episode "The West Memphis Three & Their Celebrity Dupes".  Obviously I do no have sufficient knowledge to know if the "West Memphis Three" were guilty or not.

To try and get the egg off my face I will mention a hoax when Sony (in the very early part of the 21st century) used a false critic "Dave Manning" to say good things about some of their products.  https://www.theguardian.com/film/2004/jan/30/news2  I guess that kind of hoax has been going on for quite some time.  I read something a few years ago (might have mentioned it on the board but don't know which thread) that Amazon were trying to ensure that positive reviews left on their site were genuine and not "paid for" reviews though I suspect that type of hoax will continue - though the methodology may change.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 EmptySat 08 Dec 2018, 13:12

I'd thought of putting this in the spies thread but my mouse button froze and I had to reboot the computer but maybe faking it would be the better thread.  I remember something about the reporter John Simpson and a cameraman dressing in burkhas to enter Iraq during I think the first Gulf War.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12999030  I remember listening to folk songs about female drummers and sailors (not all of whom ended up pregnant) https://mainlynorfolk.info/watersons/songs/theprettydrummerboy.html  and in some places where there is a difference in the freedom accorded to the sexes (i.e. males have more freedom than women) sometimes in families without boy children a girl will be compelled to dress as a boy until she reaches puberty (it's called bacha posh - may have mentioned this tangentially on another thread but can't remember where now).  

Last edited by LadyinRetirement on Sat 02 Mar 2019, 12:59; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 EmptySat 08 Dec 2018, 13:21

I think my computer is going slow today - the post of the bacha posh didn't take at first so I posted it again and now there are two copies of the video and I can't delete the superfluous copy.  (The same thing happened a few months ago when I posted two copies of "Mein Vader War Ein Wandeschman").

I won't link it as I have sworn off whackerdoodlery (at least on this site) but I came across a site where people post about crazy things people have found on the internet.  Someone had linked a bat guano video claiming that the former Kate Middleton was a covert transgender because she had an Adam's apple (I slap my forehead).  Of course one Mr Icke accuses the royal family of being secret lizards - one wag on the board had posted something about how it was quite difficult to tell the difference in sexes between lizards, so if Princess Kate were a lizard it would be hard to know if she was secretly transgender.  I thought that was quite funny but of course it isn't so funny when I'm saying what I read.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 EmptyThu 07 Feb 2019, 09:54

Sometimes I listen to a podcast "theparanoidstrain" which looks at conspiracy theories in a wry, comic and inquisitive way.  It's an American podcast and only appear intermittently.  They are quite long so something to have on in the background when doing a job which isn't too noisy really.  I had heard the terms "Sovereign Citizen" and "Strawman" before but didn't really understand the principle and in all honesty I'm still not sure I comprehend it entirely.  It seemed to focus on the idea that a person had a "strawman" identity invested in his/her birth certificate and then his/her own individual identity.  It seems to have been used by people to try and get off paying debts or off offences which they had been charged.  It was a load of codswallop of course and does seem to have been used in some confidence tricks.  People who were caught out in the collapse of the "sub-prime" housing market in the USA seem to have been rooked and filed bogus forms thinking they could escape responsibility from their mortgages.  https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Sovereign_citizen  The link contains the basics of it
I'm linking a clip from a court where somebody tries to get out of a traffic charge as "the settler or agent" for the person but that he was appearing as "the individual" not the person - the nitty-gritty of it starts at about 2:46 - doesn't do him any good.

Editing on 2nd March '19 for some reason the "sovereign citizen" clip didn[t take - I'll do it as a general link and not a YouTube link in case it's one of those videos that will only play in the YouTube platform itself.  https://youtu.be/VnSd-E3Hb3Y

Last edited by LadyinRetirement on Sat 02 Mar 2019, 13:14; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 EmptySat 02 Mar 2019, 13:09

I tried to delete the extra posting of the "Bacha Posh" video above but no luck.

I'm trying to keep my tinfoil hat OFF these days but the other day I was looking at a sewing channel for ideas (I dabble a bit in sewing but am not very prolific) and there was a video about sewing a fake baby bump (when I was looking into conspiracy theories I mentioned one (theory) which posited that many female Hollywood stars were really men and using prosthetic pregnant bellies).  I was looking at the channel more for T-shirt ideas, that sort of thing.  I couldn't help wondering why anyone would WANT a fake pregnant belly.  Maybe amateur dramatic groups (or even small provincial theatres) or perhaps if a home/small business dress maker has a mannequin she could attach the fake belly to the dummy to drape or try an item on for fit for a pregnant customer/family member or even herself if she were pregnant.
Back to top Go down
Green George
Censura
Green George

PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 EmptySat 02 Mar 2019, 13:56

Getting a seat on a bus or train?
Using it to conceal the ill-gotten gains of shoplifting?
Smuggling?
Blackmailing a former lover?
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 EmptySat 02 Mar 2019, 20:23

Gil (GG) you really have a prolific mind...chapeau...

PR
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 EmptySat 02 Mar 2019, 21:02

Yes, G, very quick-witted.

I may have mentioned this before but when I was "temping" several years ago a co-worker mentioned that in a former workplace of his some items (fairly sizeable items) had gone missing and it wasn't until someone fell off his bike going home but still on work grounds that the mystery was solved.  Apparently the person was wearing a waterproof cycling cape and had the item balanced beneath the cape on the top tube of his bicycle.  Retrospectively people at the firm realised that the items had gone missing on wet days.
Back to top Go down
Green George
Censura
Green George

PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 EmptySat 02 Mar 2019, 21:47

Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 EmptySat 02 Mar 2019, 23:47

Green George wrote:
Variant on this one (juust one of many?) https://www.reddit.com/r/Jokes/comments/1jnteo/a_man_lives_in_a_border_town_between_the_us_and/
The best one GG. That's really psychology.

PR
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 EmptyTue 18 Jun 2019, 17:20

In the French conversation group today a lady had brought in an article from Le Monde though unfortunately the date wasn't shown so I can't link to the original.  There were five episodes mentioned where the names of French politicians or those close to them had been used fraudulently.  I'll mention just two of them here.

In the 2017 French presidential election some supporters of M. Fillon sent out an email to some people, says, Le Monde, from "Emmanuel from the address - allegedly - of "emmanuel.macron.enmarche@gmail.com" under the heading "10 bonnes raisons de ne pas voter pour moi".  I think it would be pretty obvious that was a joke email though.

In the autumn of 2018 Brune Porison "la sécretaire d'Etat auprès du ministre de la transition écologique et solidaire" found that someone had set up a profile on the dating application Tinder as "Clara, 36 ans".  She announced on Twitter that such an impersonation was fraudulent and apparently threatened legal proceedings.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 EmptyTue 18 Jun 2019, 18:04

I remember both of those events/scandals, LiR.

I wonder if the original article you saw was this one from Le Monde - Les imposteurs dans le monde politique which was published only on 10 June 2019.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 EmptyTue 18 Jun 2019, 18:09

You've got it, MM. Well done.

Somebody in the group quipped that a similar email should be sent out in Boris Johnson's name!!
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 EmptyMon 30 Sep 2019, 11:16

I came across a Project Guthenberg version of Bram Stoker's (the writer of Dracula as I'm sure you know) [url=www.gutenberg.org %E2%80%BA 60,293 free ebooks %E2%80%BA 12 by Bram Stoker]www.gutenberg.org › 60,293 free ebooks › 12 by Bram Stoker[/url]   I was looking for something about the Chevalier d'Eon (there is something about him; I was thinking of the spy thread when I looked there).  However it was brought home to me how unkind hoaxes can be.  The cat hoax (at paragraph 255 in the ebook) had unfortunate results.  In 1815 somebody distributed bills in Chester saying that as St Helena (the island) was overrun with rats and that the government needed some healthy cats for exportation to control the problem (offering sixteen shillings for a tom-cat; ten shillings for a female and half a crown for a kitten who could sink its fangs in a dying mouse.  Such sums would have seemed worthwhile to those who were not overly wealthy in those days and numerous people came bringing cats to the address specified in the handbill to find that the house was empty.  Several cats were turned loosed and "the following morning no less than five hundred dead cats were counted floating down the river Dee".  I like cats so of course I thought poor moggies.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 EmptyWed 09 Oct 2019, 07:18

I've worried periodically about the potential harm fake or silly YouTube channels could do but had never realised there could be fake baking channels.  A lady from a legitimate Australian channel reports on various problems on "baking" channels such as bleaching strawberries.  There was a case where a 14 year old and a 12 year old girl improvised making popcorn in a tin with a hole cut over an alcohol burner,  They added extra alcohol to the device which was already alight and the flame burned up to the container from which they were pouring the alcohol which exploded.  One girl is dead and one is badly burned.   Are we getting to the stage where videos should come with a health warning. 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fakers, Faking it and Faked   Fakers, Faking it and Faked - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Fakers, Faking it and Faked

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: The history of people ... :: Customs, traditions, etiquette and ethics-