A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Our Daily Diaries

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyFri 16 Mar 2018, 16:38

Perhaps we need a dedicated place for us to relate our daily woes and a special room in the pub for it. Not that my frozen shoulder is much of a talking point. I got it initially from reaching for glasses..... water glasses, I might say. And my family believe me because I tell the truth...... me, Einstein, George Washington, Christine Keeler, Brucie - we have the same birthday, truth tellers all; truths past, present and in one case probably future too - and of course as we see/saw it.

It is here that Temps might reveal her microwave trauma - who else would throw out the box before trying it out?

I doubt nord will add anything here, His day being dedicated to profound research how could he ever have time for anything else? 

Others have interesting or traumatic days - and fun even? Not that anyone shares much of that these days. I recall a narrow boat I hired that left had a sticker asking if any one had any fun yet? My mother thought it had to do with constipation. She was getting on, you understand.

I am about to be snowed in they say so this might be a last post.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyFri 16 Mar 2018, 17:14

I did NOT throw the box away before I tried it out. I know I'm daft, but I'm not that daft.

I have deleted the details about my microwave oven box trauma. I am just too embarrassed, what with that and my Pontius Pilates picture.

I am going to hide away in shame. I may be gone some time, especially as we too are going to be snowed in again tomorrow and Sunday.

Our Daily Diaries H35137520
Back to top Go down
Caro
Censura
Caro

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyFri 16 Mar 2018, 20:45

Well, I can see this thread overlapping with the Tumbleweed one, but it seems to be overwhelmed with thoughts on the proper pronunciation of Latin (which I did learn) and Greek which is, well, all something that is apparently offensive to the Greeks to say.  

I can relate the odd funny story that my carers tell me, like the episode this week where an 89-year-old man found his gutter blocked and got out a ricketty old ladder.  While he was standing staring at it, a Dutch couple farming nearby stopped to give a hand but the man decided he was too heavy for the ladder and the old man of course was too old, so they sent his wife up, all 40kg of her, to fix the gutter.  Brian, the 89-year-old, has decided it is time to buy a new ladder, though since he is reluctant to spend the slightest outlay on decent food (lives on sweet biscuits and tea, I gather), I am surprised at that.  

Or if this is meant just for tales of woe, I could tell you of my poor grandson, nearly three who got stung (bitten?) by a bumblebee three times when it got stuck inside his jersey sleeve.  Tears abounded, I gather, though he is reasonably stoic.  But I could still see the lumps of the bites three days later.
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyFri 16 Mar 2018, 20:56

Just any stuff you like Caro - as in tales of ladders and bees. Nasty things, ladders and bees in the sleeve best avoided. Do you think the bee was hibernating? Oh dear, that sound like callous interest but just wondering - oh, no of course it was a grandchild down there not here, tho I saw one a bumble bee in a daff today. I was culling flowers before the predicted snow arrives. That's a bee in for a shock very soon.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Edit: 'There is' not 'Thee is' though it took me over a year to notice!   Our Daily Diaries EmptySat 17 Mar 2018, 10:03

I hope I didn't seem cheeky when I suggested the video about folding a shirt, Priscilla.  I'm sure you are perfectly capable but my own natural tendency is to fold a shirt in half whereas there is a way to fold it so that it ends up similarly to how a new shirt is purchased in the shops (unless one purchases one hanging on a hanger).  So I have sometimes watched "how to" videos on YouTube or Vimeo.  I didn't plant any bulbs in the garden last autumn or the preceding one but a couple of daffs that must have been there before have appeared in the garden - not seen any bees though.

I have a birthday today on St Paddy's name day - there has been slight sleet but no real snow as yet.  There is a folk night for free in one of the hostelries in town and if I think I can get there this evening without going base over apex again I might attend it as a way of celebrating the day when I get even older.

Edited: daffs not gaffs

Last edited by LadyinRetirement on Thu 24 Oct 2019, 22:55; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptySat 17 Mar 2018, 10:37

Do be careful tonight, LiR: if Ireland beat England this afternoon, the scenes of jubilation could be particularly wild during any celebration of the birth of St. Patrick. Go easy on the Guinness and take care on the ice.

Around 1395 Julian of Norwich wrote: "...but all shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well." It is quite obvious that the Blessed Julian never had to send a defunct microwave oven back to Amazon, nor had she ever waited in vain for the Hermes man-with-a-van to arrive to collect her parcel.

I sit and I wait and I hope...
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptySat 17 Mar 2018, 14:29

The weather forecast says (with some overlap) yellow warning for today and amber warning from about 4.00 pm today to 9.00 am tomorrow and keeps alternating between snow and intervals of sun (a lot of wind) so I may regretfully play safe and stay inside this evening.  I took the first of the once weekly tablets today (the one with the potential unpleasant side effects).  I don't want to be a hermit but I'd rather not risk having another breakage so have decided not to go to the St Patrick's Day event.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptySun 18 Mar 2018, 16:08

My defunct microwave oven (in a fake box) was at last collected yesterday by Hermes - the winged messenger of Amazon - and is now travelling (I hope) up the Great North Road to Fife - Amazon's "fulfilment centre" North of the Wall - where Amazon returns are processed. Soon, I hope, a full refund will be credited to my account.

Meanwhile here in Devon, my Curry's oven is alive and well and has successfully roasted a chicken this snowy Sunday afternoon. My cup runneth over - or will do when I get my promised £218 refund from Amazon.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptySun 18 Mar 2018, 17:28

"Daily Diaries" .... Mon Dieu, do we really need yet another general winge thread? Currently there's a "rant thread", a "rave thread" and a general "tumbleweed whatever thread" ... why start yet another?

Last edited by Meles meles on Sat 24 Mar 2018, 07:42; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyFri 23 Mar 2018, 14:36

I actually need a new microwave also.  Alas, if I did not mention it above I never made it to the St Paddy's Night sing-song.  I gave myself a late birthday present last night (pre-booked of course) by going to the local theatre and watching a broadcast relayed from the Bridge Theatre at the National Theatre of Julius Caesar.  It was in modern dress which I didn't mind - might Caesar was shot rather than stabbed.  The rock band at the beginning jarred a bit (not that I'm against rock bands per se).They had made some of the conspirators female (well I suppose in modern times you are likely to get female politicians).  Cassius was played by Michelle Fairley who played Caitlyn Stark in Game of Thrones - which probably won't mean anything to anybody except Temperance.  She was very good - in my opinion at least.  At least I am trying to stop being a hermit (had much confidence knocked out of me as I've said before when I fell and bashed my arm).  I'd been to U3A Spanish (supposed to be the in-between level but I'm sure I'm still closer to beginner to advanced; we're doing the subjunctive now, aren't we lucky?) earlier in the day but my hay fever kicked in and I was coughing and my eyes were streaming.  The teacher brought me a glass of water.  One of my first priorities after the class was to buy some anti-allergy tablets.  They do seem to be effective but of course take a while to work.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyFri 23 Mar 2018, 15:15

Thinking of Temps' experience with the microwave, I've bought an extension lead on Ebay (one of those ones with six plug-in sockets) and this one is supposed to be surge protected too, so I suppose it will come through next week.  On the one I have at present (where I plug in my computer and broadband related stuff and my desktop table lamp) the outer part of the cable has torn and is showing the smaller cables enclosed (but not the copper I have to say).  I have the gaping bit of cable wrapped in the tape (I can't think of the technical name of the tape, is it 'fuse tape' but that isn't really a full-time solution).  I don't want to tempt Providence but I've been okay buying on Ebay so far (not sure if I've ever bought via Amazon though if I ever graduate to Kindle I guess I will have to).  So I hope the lead proves satisfactory.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptySat 24 Mar 2018, 21:48

LadyinRetirement wrote:
Thinking of Temps' experience with the microwave, I've bought an extension lead on Ebay (one of those ones with six plug-in sockets) and this one is supposed to be surge protected too, so I suppose it will come through next week.  On the one I have at present (where I plug in my computer and broadband related stuff and my desktop table lamp) the outer part of the cable has torn and is showing the smaller cables enclosed (but not the copper I have to say).  I have the gaping bit of cable wrapped in the tape (I can't think of the technical name of the tape, is it 'fuse tape' but that isn't really a full-time solution).  I don't want to tempt Providence but I've been okay buying on Ebay so far (not sure if I've ever bought via Amazon though if I ever graduate to Kindle I guess I will have to).  So I hope the lead proves satisfactory.

Lady,

with "surge protection" I suppose you mean "fuse protected"?

The granddaughter moving to Switzerland start of February had bought an eight plug-in sockets with two metal strips on the side of each socket to allow the ground connection, when plugged in with a plug also with two strips of metal on the sides. The difficulty is that in Belgium, France and so on, we have a pin in the socket to make ground connection with a plug with a hole in it for this pin. Before I remembered that the Belgian plug couldn't be pressed in the German socket, because of the spring metal strips in that socket. So I said to her that that German one wouldn't work for her Belgian plugs. But then we saw that nowadays the plugs are universal both with grounding at the sides for the German and the hole for the pin when used for a Belgian socket.
I have a vague rememberance that in Britain it were three flat pins to be used in the related British socket...?
https://www.conrad.nl/p/brennenstuhl-1159540376-overspanningsveilige-stekkerdoos-6-voudig-randaarde-stekker-antraciet-610816
https://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plugs-and-sockets/
It is the type E in Belgium, France and so on, and the type F in Germany, Switzerland and so on. And the pictures are all universal ones, only that as in reality the two ground strips are on both sides of the plug instead of on one side on the picture.

Yes and about fuses in our time, that was a dangerous time. Even I twelve years old, as seen from the father, repaired the broken porcelain fuse with the two cupper plugs in it, with one or two threads from the isolated cupperwire consisting of multiple cupper threads. One for six ampère and two for twelve ampère if I remember it well. And one had to start with the cupper thread between the slid in the pin and then wire around the pin to end in a kind of a loop. The danger of course was that some did more than two cupperthereads on the fuse resulting in the main house fuse broken or some flat-iron burning out with risks of fire in the house...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyTue 27 Mar 2018, 16:15

Where has MM's post gone telling me that my money and my honour were lost forever, along with my microwave?

You were wrong on all counts, mon vieux...

I got my refund (£218!!) promptly from Amazon and also a very nice email from Hermes - the people who didn't show up on time to collect the defunct piece of electrical equipment. They eventually battled through the snow to my cottage and took the useless microwave away, and speedily whisked it off to Amazon's Fulfillment Centre (sounds like something out of a Huxley novel) in Fife, Scotland-land. Hermes then sent me profuse apologies and a promise "to do better next time". Mmmm - heard all that before - but I got my money back and my Panasonic Converter Inverter Thingy Microwave from dear old Curry's works a treat. Very good at baked potatoes, I must say.

All's Well That Ends Well, as they say in Amazonland. Respect also to the man at Panasonic who was very kind to me, and told me to stop worrying. "Just send it back to Amazon", he said, "they don't give toss, but they'll give you a refund." He was proved right.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyTue 27 Mar 2018, 21:31

Well, glad you got your money back, Temperance.

Last week as I mentioned I watched a National Theatre (broadcast) version of Julius Caesar.  That was actually a play I studied at school but I never picked up before that there was something a little contradictory in the way the play worked out.  Master Shakespeare had decided for whatever reason that Marcus Brutus was going to be "the noblest Roman of them all" but in the scene where Antonius rouses the masses to avenge Caesar he (Antonius) "calls out" Brutus for making the "most unkindest cut of all" and yet at the end of the play Antonius calls Brutus "the noblest Roman of them all".  I had never picked up on that before.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Edited: I've since learned that Brutus and Bluetoe were both names for the character in question.   Our Daily Diaries EmptyThu 05 Apr 2018, 12:23

I'm feeling a bit ropey today. I have a couple of swellings that have come up on my legs - I suppose they COULD be bites but I think more likely I have somehow eaten something that was cross-contaminated with gluten.  I do try to be careful.

Been thinking, I wasn't sure whether to put this on the fakery thread. Could maybe not downright lying but exaggeration be considered fakery.  This is just me typing in a rambling sort of way. I remember hearing an interview with "Red Robbo" a long time after his being mentioned in the newspapers in connection with strikes in the motor industry.  He said that if he had been on strike the number of days that was mentioned in some of the articles he would NEVER have been at work.  Could "Popeye the Sailor Man" be considered propaganda to get kids to eat spinach.  I know my mother said the idea was originally conceived to get kids to eat their spinach.  Happily I never minded green veg though I think I prefer fresh spinach to canned.  I know I mentioned Brutus in my previous post.  I know it's a different Brutus but for a long time when I watched "Popeye" on a friend's TV (my Dad resisted ITV until he had to get a new TV and discovered all TVs then had ITV) I thought Brutus was called Bluetoe.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyFri 18 Oct 2019, 16:18

I first used YouTube as a source of material to practise my shorthand.  That was before I retired and before I had the internet at home.  There are some channels dedicated to stenography but I've also used random videos for that purpose.  When I was convalescing from my hospital visit three years ago and then when I was getting over my broken arm (late 2017, early 2018) I used YouTube quite a lot then as I was without a TV though I could read of course.  My TV and radio both went bump but I sometimes catch up on programmes with the iplayer for BBC and there are similar players for the commercial stations. I probably will look on Gumtree or other sites for secondhand appliances to get another TV.  Radios aren't that difficult to come by.
Back to top Go down
Green George
Censura
Green George

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyFri 18 Oct 2019, 18:21

Older relatives tell me that there used to be a summary of the radio news following the main broadcast, read at "dictation speed". see https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/f38ce801ec0f4cafa0c9895bd1e6a10d
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyFri 25 Oct 2019, 14:40

G, there is a website that has some links to various dictations - not necessarily on YouTube.

If Priscilla reads this, I observed that she mentioned being in Turkey on another thread recently and that she has lived in eastern countries.  Priscilla, if you read this did you ever see anybody doing "marbling" or "ebru" - where people paint on a liquid surface and then take an imprint if the picture or pattern they make.  It fascinates me but I've only ever seen it on film, not in real life.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyMon 28 Oct 2019, 13:52

I had a nasty turn on Friday - both ends of the digestive system.  I was supposed to be meeting some friends for a meal out on Sunday but I had to cancel unfortunately.  I'm feeling more myself today but am just pottering.  I'm trying to catch up on the tidying that was put on hold while the windows were being replaced and while I was looking after my more old kitty while she was sick.  Also, if I do have another cat (I'm not sure yet) somebody from Cats Protection comes to inspect the house - they match the owner up to the cat.

I have to get some new curtain tracking - the old curtain tracks were from the 1959s I think in the front rooms and the 1970s in the back room where I had some windows replaced.  (Haven't had the kitchen windows touched).  Of course the curtains have been renewed periodically but not the curtain tracks so I'm inexperienced at dealing with those.  Still sometimes you just have to get involved and do the job.  Making curtains is not so difficult but of course these days it may be as economical to buy curtains.  As for the tracks I watched a couple of videos where people used plastic conduit pipe as a curtain track.  I'm not sure about that.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyMon 28 Oct 2019, 23:01

LadyinRetirement wrote:
I had a nasty turn on Friday - both ends of the digestive system.  I was supposed to be meeting some friends for a meal out on Sunday but I had to cancel unfortunately.  I'm feeling more myself today but am just pottering.  I'm trying to catch up on the tidying that was put on hold while the windows were being replaced and while I was looking after my more old kitty while she was sick.  Also, if I do have another cat (I'm not sure yet) somebody from Cats Protection comes to inspect the house - they match the owner up to the cat.

I have to get some new curtain tracking - the old curtain tracks were from the 1959s I think in the front rooms and the 1970s in the back room where I had some windows replaced.  (Haven't had the kitchen windows touched).  Of course the curtains have been renewed periodically but not the curtain tracks so I'm inexperienced at dealing with those.  Still sometimes you just have to get involved and do the job.  Making curtains is not so difficult but of course these days it may be as economical to buy curtains.  As for the tracks I watched a couple of videos where people used plastic conduit pipe as a curtain track.  I'm not sure about that.

LiR,
"I have to get some new curtain tracking - the old curtain tracks were from the 1959s I think in the front rooms and the 1970s in the back room where I had some windows replaced.  (Haven't had the kitchen windows touched).  Of course the curtains have been renewed periodically but not the curtain tracks so I'm inexperienced at dealing with those.  Still sometimes you just have to get involved and do the job.  Making curtains is not so difficult but of course these days it may be as economical to buy curtains.  As for the tracks I watched a couple of videos where people used plastic conduit pipe as a curtain track.  I'm not sure about that."

LiR,

coincidentally we were the day before yesterday buying curtains, because after sometimes washing they became a bit feeble (white toile) and now the one, who comes cleaning every week, has put them in the wash machine on 30C° but with a centrifuging programm of 1000 rpm and they are now ragged...I before put them in the bath with water of 30° and wringing them gently with the hand and then putting them on the rail again in wed condition...
The buying of new ones is a whole story apart, but that is for later because we first have to agree about what curtains we are speaking, because overhere we have transparant curtains, which hang over the whole width and then after these, what we call "overgordijnen" (over, covering curtains), which hang on another rail behind and are in linnen or other and not transparent material and hang on each side of the window and are only moved to the full width of the window in case of wishing to darken the room and avoid inside looking...in both cases they translate in English with curtains.

As for the light transparent curtains we use this as curtain tracking and normally once in place they don't deteriorate...
Our Daily Diaries Hospital-curtain-tracking_755_detail

Our Daily Diaries Hot-Sale-Plastic-Rail-Curtain-Conveyor-Hook-Rollers-20mm-Length-60-Pc-White_large
And for in the curtain to put in a special band with the neccesary space in it to put the curtain hooks in (I don't know how you call this one. My sister made my curtains now fifty years ago) we use these plastic hooks.
Our Daily Diaries 69759259_max

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyTue 29 Oct 2019, 09:46

The hooks you have shown are not dissimilar to the ones I have used previously, Paul, expect mine are metal and a lot older.  What are called 'lace curtains' in the UK are not unknown - those would be the transparent ones you mention.  As you mention they are accompanied by more substantial or thicker curtains behind.

While I am here - how have fellow Res Historians been affected by the recent rain.  The river valley behind the houses across the road from me looks like a lake.  Normally it is two smallish rivers (which join together), a small stream and further over the valley the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal.  I bought a few groceries at Asda yesterday but had a Sainsbury's bag.  The lady checking my purchases out said that they had a lot of people who went to Sainsbury's normally shopping at Asda yesterday because Sainsbury's was (at least in part) under flood water.  There is a brook that runs alongside the Asda boundary but the Asda building was far enough away from it to not be under water but a nursery (as in pre-school not as in plants) next door to it was closed because the brook had overflowed.
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Triumviratus Rei Publicae Constituendae
Nielsen

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyTue 29 Oct 2019, 10:14

The shop names you mention, LiR, are only familiar to me through litterature.
And where I live there has not yet been excessive rains, even if there was some further south.

For some time to be I shall be rather irregular, as I'll be moving houses.

So both a Nielsen-in-Retirement as well as in Movement.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyTue 29 Oct 2019, 13:36

I don't know the names of Danish shops, Nielsen, so I don't blame you for being unfamiliar with UK shops or only familiar with the names.

I wish you well with your house move, Nielsen, I know it can be an upheaval.
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Nielsen

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyTue 29 Oct 2019, 13:41

Well, this is where I've lived for the longest time in my life, more than 23 years, so it's about time - and so many things need to be cleared out.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyTue 29 Oct 2019, 23:14

LadyinRetirement wrote:
The hooks you have shown are not dissimilar to the ones I have used previously, Paul, expect mine are metal and a lot older.  What are called 'lace curtains' in the UK are not unknown - those would be the transparent ones you mention.  As you mention they are accompanied by more substantial or thicker curtains behind.

Thanks for the term "lace curtains" LiR. Yes that is the system, we oldies and a lot of youngsters are still use. But nowadays there are a lot of alternatives. Even my mother in our new house (1960) chose for the latest innovation from Luxaflex. A system with horizontal "lamellen" (they seem to call it Venetian blinds?)
And they still after 60 years have the same system:
https://www.luxaflex.be/nl/producten/horizontale-jaloezieen/?gclid=CjwKCAjwxt_tBRAXEiwAENY8hWslONFV-xSl9Nenu_dNOm4hzR7FKWaBlJmfidRjYFZ0AMQ7mbYC8BoCKnAQAvD_BwE#

Hours and hours have I spent trying to fit them again. Or the cat had pushed through the slats, or one had tried to open the window (inside!) with the hand through the slats. It was not the slats that were deficient, but the system above to let turn the slats, the ribbons over small plastic dented rolls, which sat on a hexagone long rod. I still see it in my dreams Wink. And then you had two strings to move the slats in the high. And it were two small plastic strings, working on each side of the slats. And that system was also always deficient...or one string throw and the other not and the slats were elevated on one side and on the other not...you can imagine...after a lot of trouble and some very expensive visits from their technicians, she removed the four blinds and changed to vertical ones...
https://www.luxaflex.be/nl/producten/verticale-jaloezieen/?gclid=CjwKCAjwxt_tBRAXEiwAENY8hU_f_rEH3Kp9RVoRyYJVZVIgxMKwNHdaYR-aQKrRCtV-paXCVPNKfhoC3oEQAvD_BwE#
And those were better, but still the system above to let turn the vertical slats, was not very robust and one had to be very careful to handle it otherwise the system was broken down. I have that system also repaired sometimes, but I still wonder why the engineers had made that system so "delicate".
I hope that the systems that I saw now on the advertisements are better than in the time.

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyTue 29 Oct 2019, 23:26

Nielsen wrote:
Well, this is where I've lived for the longest time in my life, more than 23 years, so it's about time - and so many things need to be cleared out.

Nielsen, old fellow, glad that you can move to a new house. I hope that you in your difficult physical position have some friends to help. And I hope that you, despite your trouble during the move, find still time to lurk overhere too...

Kind regards from Paul and great success in the relocation.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyWed 30 Oct 2019, 09:02

Nielsen, they say that moving house is second only to divorce in terms of personal stress encountered by most people outside of times of civil conflict. I've left a few glasses filled with valium tablets around the bar along with the usual pickled gannet eggs and stuffed Olive arrangements (she really objected to that one, did Olive). Help yourself to them (not Olive of course).

Best of luck with the transfer and we'll see you on the other side ....
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
Nielsen
Nielsen

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyWed 30 Oct 2019, 10:01

Thank you, Nordmann, I've yet to be divorced - or married, for that matter - but there have been a couple of break-ups of relationships which were pretty stressful.
Besides when younger I did move about a few times, and I'm to some extent relying on the old routines - as well as a professional moving company!

Re the valium, again I've only read of those but they may be of help, the gannet eggs are an old and trusted remedy, as for Olive, well if the surname is Oyl I wouldn't want to go between Popeye and Brutus.

I may take a look-in once in a while but don't rely on me for anything.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyWed 30 Oct 2019, 10:19

Your unreliable reputation will of course be honoured here, sir, don't worry.

Olive has asked us to kindly not remind her of that particular love triangle in her youth many years ago - she is still friends with Mr Oyl, she says, but the steroid addict and the bipolar schizo are long out of the picture.

I recommend the Valium Rêves-Heureux '94. It's a heady little potion with a kick like a castrated billy-goat and will certainly smooth the transition. It has become very popular in what used to called the "UK" in recent years for some reason ...
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
Caro
Censura
Caro

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyThu 31 Oct 2019, 00:56

I haven't been divorced but I have shifted house recently and I didn't find it very stressful at all as all I had to do was sit and let/allow/force my husband to make all the decisions. He has found it very stressful but after 6 months is finding it a little less so. There's no good telling him to relax, as he says that only adds to the stress! I am only now finding it a bit stressful as we are having to THROW AWAY BOOKS!!! Even though we have a specially made library room, it doesn't fit all the books we have it. I have managed to let go off my poetry books from university as I am not fond of The Prelude or the Faerie Queen and don't read much poetry at all, and I have something called 500 favourite poems, so that should keep me going for a while. 

No quite on the way this thread was intended, but I have been reading an article from NZ Memories and it started by saying, "This [diary] form of writing has a relatively recent history, despite notable exceptions such as the diaries of Samuel Pepys, Mark Twain, and Anne Frank...For the most part, the diary has remained a private record of lives; becoming most popular in the Victorian era and early 20th century as a result of improved literacy, cheaper paper and industrialised printing." Apart from the fact that Anne Franks is not an exception to this at all, is this actually true? Or is it more that being private diaries have been disposed of more than other writing?
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Nielsen

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyThu 31 Oct 2019, 07:48

Thank you for your empathy all. I'm hoping for the best.

Caro, re diaries, I at first thought 'Paston letters' but as the title say 'letters' it's a wrong category.
Then of what may be accounts of the Fugger-family, so ditto.

Then of one of the daughters of Christian IV of Denmark and Norway, Leonora Christina, who, when imprisoned for 23 years wrote the manuscript to what's been translated into 'A Memory of Lament' or 'Memoirs of Leonora Christina' which she finished in 1674 but wasn't published until 1869. An interesting article is to be found in wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jammers_Minde

Off side here is that the Danish article in wiki by far is the least detailed of those with the Dutch one alone referring to a series of paintings inspired by these memoirs, done by Kristian Zahrtmann in the 1870'es and '80'es. 
The Danish article on him do, though, refer relatively detailed to this series of portraits.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptySun 17 Nov 2019, 09:12

When I worked as a legal secretary (in conveyancing at the time) I remember calming down a caller who was concerned on what she perceived to be lack of progress on her matter.  She did apologise if she'd been sharp and I said something along the lines of moving house being allegedly almost as stressful as the stress triggers mentioned by nordmann above.  The client said that she had encountered all three of the stressors in the one year - but at least we finished the call on amicable terms.

I meant to mention though that I had looked on the local (to me) part of a site called "Preloved" (where secondhand items are for sale or occasionally being given away).  I looked at the cats and kittens and although I have been thinking of an older cat (because of MY age) I saw an advert for a tortoiseshell though she was only 7 months old.  Apparently she didn't get on with the seller's dog. I have a soft spot for tortoiseshells; my last cat Pebbles was tortoiseshell and white and the one I had before her was a dark tortoiseshell. I signed up to "Preloved" but hadn't belonged to the site long enough (as a free member) to answer the advert.  Anyway, the next time I looked there was no tortoiseshell kitty so maybe someone else liked the look of her.  I guess all's well that end's well if she got a good home.  There were a few cats but some of them were thoroughbred cats and even though the people were rehoming them they wanted 100s of pounds.  They were beautiful animals but I don't think 100s of pounds is on the cards for me as the cost for a cat.  There is always the Cats Protection League though they do ask for a contribution (to show that someone is a bona fide adopter I suppose - and to help cover any medical treatment the cat may have had). I gave £20 for dear old Pebbles in 2011 though the contribution could have gone up since.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptySun 01 Dec 2019, 14:19

I'm supposed to be going to London next Saturday for an Xmas lunch and AGM of a society I belong to.  I was a bit afraid after I saw the news about the terrorist attack at London Bridge.  Okay, I know most people here don't have anything to do with churches unless from a historical point of view, but when I went to church this morning one of the houses next to the church car park (and the church car park itself) were cordoned off.  It transpires the terrorist who carried out the stabbings had been living in a flat in the house next to the car park.  It's somewhat unsettling.  My hometown tends to be rather quiet though it's growing in size but then so are lots of towns in the UK.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptySun 01 Dec 2019, 22:17

Sorry LiR,

I wanted to reply on your language question and here comment your terrorist remark, but sadly all my time prepared for a new thread on Historum: Nazism worser than Stalinism? with the "Historikerstreit" as example.
And I have some comments on other messages from yours too...

See you tomorrow and I hope you will have a good sleep and not lying awake for some time, as you mentioned...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyTue 03 Dec 2019, 23:32

Sorry LiR again, still busy this evening with the Historum thread. I wanted to reply on your light bulb message but found not the time. I had already prepared with the links:
https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-build-a-SOLAR-BOTTLE-BULB/
https://permaculturenews.org/2014/03/14/solar-water-bottle-bulbs/

And I wanted also to reply to MM's excellent message about the mille feuiles, which seems to be surprisingly to be "Napoleon cake" in Dutch. I never heard it and we call it in our dialects a "boekje" (a little book) (I suppose because of the many pages in the book).
And in "my" time it was made with vanilla pudding between the "feuilles", or with "confiture" (jam?). or the expensive ones with "chantilly" (whipped cream?).

See you all tomorrow and kind regards.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyThu 05 Dec 2019, 21:21

On my other laptop I got the dreaded black screen tonight. It's the one I use for work which is a nuisance.  I'm hoping that if the battery discharges when the computer's unplugged it might be okay tomorrow or at least will charge then.  If the battery has gone it will have to go to the repair shop as it's a MacBook.

Last edited by LadyinRetirement on Fri 06 Dec 2019, 09:57; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyFri 06 Dec 2019, 09:42

The MacBook is working again at least temporarily.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyTue 10 Dec 2019, 11:04

The weather has been damp here for a while.  I printed a little article in French for the last French conversation group before Xmas and the paper in the printer must have become damp because I saw some steam coming off the printer which I hadn't used for a while.  I may have to change the paper.  I have one working plug in radiator heater in the living room but maybe I need another heater to keep the room properly dry (though I switch the heaters off at night).  The damp must come from condensation.  What with feeling a tingle in the switch of one of the electric points the other day (not using that point at present) it's all a darn nuisance.  Of course I must try to prioritise safety.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyTue 10 Dec 2019, 12:23

You have my sympathy LiR  as I'm struggling with similar problems here. I've had no fixed telephone line since July and since Orange seem incapable of repairing it, I have finally decided to cancel it and go for VoIP (but which at the moment doesn't work either). Apparently my cancellation (with Orange) can only be by letter - ie email or phone call is not accepted.  But my printer, which I haven't needed for several months, now refuses to print any black (it says the black jet is blocked) so I've had to print my letter to Orange in blue ... and I'm afraid all my caustic comments and demands for recompense will lose something when not clearly stated in black and white.

Meanwhile, partly because of the loss of income from having no phone throughout the entire summer season, I'm now completely skint and struggling to pay bills. So no heating for me either, although that's a delayed expense.  I heat the house by a wood fire, with wood cut from my own land, although it still needs electricity to work the central-heating pump, and I still need to buy petrol for the chainsaw to cut the wood in the first place. My worry is that if I use up all my wood store now, without replacing it with more felled wood, I won't be able to heat the place when I get bookings, for say March, from delicate snowflakes who expect to just wander around in their skimpies, when it's minus 5 outside.

It's the same with my food stocks ... I'm keeping all the frozen bread rolls, croissants, pains au chocolat and other viennoisserie - as well as the frozen means to be able to prepare a decent evening meal for a dozen or so people - all untouched in my freezer. Meanwhile I'm already on a simple, albeit fairly healthy but still a rather austere diet, based on dried pasta, rice and potatoes; last years' garden vegetables frozen; leaks and carrots from the garden, some game occaisionally courtesy of the local hunters, and with strict rationing of the other non-essential-for-business foods ... and all of it augmented, where possible, by foraged snails, nettles, mushrooms, nuts, berries, fish from the river, dandelions, fat hen, wild sorrel and anything else edible (I'm not joking, although now, in December, the options are getting limited, but I did find half a kilo or so of wood blewits just a few days ago; sufficient for a few meals at least). I also had a 50 euro loyalty voucher to spend at the local supermarket ... but nearly all of that went, not on anything for me, but on dog and cat food!

I hope you get your things sorted, LiR. I agree, it's a nightmare when everything starts to go wrong.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyTue 10 Dec 2019, 13:23

Oh Gawd, you two you make me feel really guilty - I've just got a new Smart TV for Christmas. Not a vulgar huge one, though - a discreet 32" Sony with Netflix, so I can binge watch Season Three of The Crown. I do so love being a subject of the United Kingdom!

Seriously, hope all your problems get sorted out. I bet your frugal food is better than anything Waitrose has to offer, MM.

Pray for us all this Thursday - turkeys voting either for Christmas or for Thanksgiving - either way we'll all get our necks wrung in 2020.

If I hear "Get Brexit done!" one more time I'll throw a brick through the new tele.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyTue 10 Dec 2019, 14:10

Well, say something, someone - before this place disappears into total oblivion.

I'm watching Britannia at the moment on my posh new tele - absolutely bonkers, but absolutely brilliant!

Last edited by Temperance on Tue 10 Dec 2019, 20:04; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyTue 10 Dec 2019, 14:56

Temperance wrote:
Well, say something, someone - before this place disappears into total oblivion.

Well there are some threads you might like: swan-upping, napoleon cakes, women in theatre, symbols in cemeteries, vending machines, the history of plastics, riding side-saddle, etc ...

Last edited by Meles meles on Wed 11 Dec 2019, 08:24; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyTue 10 Dec 2019, 15:02

Deleted.

Last edited by Temperance on Tue 10 Dec 2019, 20:04; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyTue 10 Dec 2019, 15:05

deleted

Last edited by Meles meles on Wed 11 Dec 2019, 08:22; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyTue 10 Dec 2019, 16:12

Deleted.

Last edited by Temperance on Tue 10 Dec 2019, 20:03; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyTue 10 Dec 2019, 17:33

Nothing  wrong with having a decent TV, Temperance.  I'm one of those people who hates throwing things out unless absolutely necessary.  I've been at the French conversation class this afternoon and then went round the local Sainsbury (Sainsbury's).  One good thing my left hand which I managed to bash on Saturday looks not to be broken - the advanced practice nurse who examined it said I'd got away she thought with bad bruising and swelling but added that I should contact the surgery again if it got worse.  I fell down a step inside the venue for the Saturday pre-Xmas lunch I attended.  There was a big sign saying "Mind the Step" but of course I was talking to someone and my attention strayed.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyTue 10 Dec 2019, 20:23

Temperance wrote:
 I've just got a new Smart TV for Christmas. Not a vulgar huge one, though - a discreet 32" Sony

Temperance, you British with your rich and special word choice...not a vulgar huge one à la mode (pushed by the advertisement industry)...and then the stupid cheated ones put the huge device in their living, which has only some 4 meter (some 4 yards?)width and have to sit in their huge "fauteuils" to watch the screen on some two meter. I know such people in my close circle...

PS. as an example of colourful words and I forgot to mention it to Vizzer, the expression: "man of the cloth" he used...I had really to look on the internet to understand what he meant...and I always will remember it when I see someone of that kind..

Our Daily Diaries 7644136768_4ee341f7b1_b

We call it a "soutane" and in English it seems to be "cassock"...
And overhere Belgium there aren't cassocks anymore, priests wear "costumes" now.

PPS: Glad to see you back Temperance...whatever you say...it is always so, what would I say?...so "unconventional"?...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyTue 10 Dec 2019, 20:28

LadyinRetirement wrote:
One good thing my left hand which I managed to bash on Saturday looks not to be broken - the advanced practice nurse who examined it said I'd got away she thought with bad bruising and swelling but added that I should contact the surgery again if it got worse.  I fell down a step inside the venue for the Saturday pre-Xmas lunch I attended.  There was a big sign saying "Mind the Step" but of course I was talking to someone and my attention strayed.

Glad to hear from you, LiR, that your accident led not to a fracture in your hand.
I hope for a quick recovery.

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyTue 10 Dec 2019, 21:43

You and LiR are always so kind and polite, Paul - you make me ashamed of myself and of my being "unconventional" -  I was actually just rude to MM who did not at all deserve such sharpness, and I am sorry. Only excuses are I have been a bit poorly recently, and today I had a lunch with lots of wine -  which always makes me stupid.

Nice irony actually - I'm an awful snob about huge TVs which I call "vulgar" - and then I proceed to use "vulgar" language with gusto.

We are all going slowly insane here you see in this mad little island - and it gets worse by the minute.

PS I was nearly bullied into buying a monster 43" TV, but I steadfastly refused - the 32" one looks enormous to me. It is a wonderful TV though - and I am thrilled at all the rubbish I can now watch. Smile  Bread and circuses and all that - and I've certainly got all the available circuses now.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries EmptyWed 11 Dec 2019, 08:20

Oh dear, my TV is a very vulgar 43", and my sofa is a chavvy L-shape that sits six.  Embarassed  And while they are suitable for a B&B, we actually bought them both when there were just the two of us in a much smaller appartment. And Paul is dead right about how unsuitable they are: the screen is so large that you have to sit about three metres away - it hurts my eyes if I sit any closer - which rather defeats the object to my mind. But at least the TV doesn't dominate too much as the room is 4 x 8 metres, with a 3 metre high ceiling (it's a lovely old house, though a nightmare to heat in winter). The irony is that I hardly ever watch TV - indeed I don't even know if the satellite TV connection still works as the last time I put it on was for some guests back in the summer. I do watch DVDs though.

You are of course forgiven Temp, and I've deleted my waspish response too. I do hope it was good wine, not a rough rouquin.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Our Daily Diaries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Daily Diaries   Our Daily Diaries Empty

Back to top Go down

Our Daily Diaries

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 11Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next