A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Battlefields excavations

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dirk Marinus
Consulatus
Dirk Marinus

Battlefields excavations Empty
PostSubject: Battlefields excavations   Battlefields excavations EmptyMon 04 Jun 2018, 19:40

We often read about WW1 and WW11  battlefield excavations. Even documentaries are shown on TV about finds of which some are interesting.

But purely as a matter of interest I like to know if there has been or are there still occasional excavations in and around  Waterloo battlefield.

Do they still come upon human remains and do they make an attempt to locate relations.

Paul, do you know or have you got any information?

Dirk
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Battlefields excavations   Battlefields excavations EmptyMon 04 Jun 2018, 21:20

Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Battlefields excavations   Battlefields excavations EmptyMon 04 Jun 2018, 22:07

Dirk, I have information about battlefields excavations about WWI because it is so close in our neighbourhood. Regularly a farmer ploughing his land "meeting" an obus that explodes damaging his tractor and many times himself too. As I read recently.... Up to my knowledge we haven't had yet deads until now...

As about Waterloo I guess, the deep "scars?" (littekens) in the ground are rare? And as such most was in the upperground and I suppose as there was so much battlefield thiefs afterwards that even a fork would haven't been found anymore after sometime...and in that time the common man hadn't that much as now, I guess...
Even some week ago as someone had discovered an obus of WWI...the demining was alerted, but when they came at the place the obus was stolen...a stupid man wanted to demantle it on his own with a "slijpschijf" (grinding disc) but we use it too for cutting bricks and iron...not sure how that is called in English...
but anyway the obus exploded and the man was dead... sometimes the Dutch are right about those stupid Belgians...but in the time it was nearly a sport to demantle old WWI obusses...I remember that on every mantel piece of the chimney there was a whole queu of cupper "douilles" as they were called (emty cartridge/shell)...seemingly the "oldies" in the time were cleverer than today...and yes that was only the polished ones...the rest was sold for the price of the cupper...

But Dirk, as soon as I have time, I will seek for you about the Waterloo battle field...and you know me I find everything ...as I found for you the Tsar family pretender in England...the BBC time.... now some 15 years ago...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Battlefields excavations   Battlefields excavations EmptyMon 04 Jun 2018, 22:19

Meles meles wrote:
Looks like archaelological excavations still go on:

Summer School Utrecht - Waterloo uncovered battlefield excavation (2018)

and

The Telegraph - Glasgow University archaeological excavation at Hougoumont farm (2015)

Meles meles,

"geklopt in de spurt" (defeated in the sprint) Wink ...have to postpone the rest to first seek for Waterloo Wink

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battlefields excavations   Battlefields excavations Empty

Back to top Go down

Battlefields excavations

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1