A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Filips-Willem the Catholic son of William the Silent

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

Filips-Willem the Catholic son of William the Silent Empty
PostSubject: Filips-Willem the Catholic son of William the Silent   Filips-Willem the Catholic son of William the Silent EmptySun 17 Jun 2018, 22:32

Pointed to by Dirk I read the history of William the Silent's eldest son.
https://www.destentor.nl/veluwe/nederland-wilde-ontvoerde-prins-niet-terug~a17fb14d/

I want to say to Dirk that that biography is very interesting and worth reading, but one has to keep in mind that the author Ina Staberg is after all not a real historian. She can have done her work of research very well, but at the end she remains a would-be historian as I think we all are.
That said I did some research about Philip William about whom I never heard up to now.
Starting with the family tree that I publiced in this thread. And indeed it was the eldest son of Wiliam of Orange and as such the normal heir to his father's titles...but the fate decided otherwise...he was kidnapped from the university of Louvain by the Spanish Granvelle and educated Catholic in Spain...

As usual the first entries one find on google are the wikis...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_William,_Prince_of_Orange
The Dutch language wiki is of course much more stuffed, although there are interesting details that you find only in the English one...
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filips_Willem_van_Oranje

"His interests in the Dutch Republic were vigorously defended by his sister, Maria of Nassau, against his half-brother Maurice of Nassau who contested his brother's right to the barony and city of Breda.
"In 1606 Philip William was recognized in the Republic as Lord of Breda and Steenbergen, and his right to appoint magistrates was acknowledged, provided he did so maintaining the "Union and the Republic's religion". He duly made his ceremonial entry into his town of Breda in July 1610 and from then until his death, regularly appointed the magistrates in his lordship. Though he restored Catholic services in the castle of Breda, he did not try to challenge the ascendancy of the Protestant-Calvinist Reformed Church in the city. He had a difference with the States-General in 1613, when they annulled his appointment of a Catholic drost. He had to cooperate with the military governor in Breda, his illegitimate half-brother Justinus van Nassau, staunchly loyal to the States-General."

"As Lord of Diest and a pious Catholic at the time of his death, Philip William of Orange commanded that the parish church of Saint Sulpice in the same city, should celebrate a yearly Requiem Mass for his soul. Diest is also the site of his burial in the Catholic Roman Rite. Diest is known as the "Orange City", and Philip William as "the Catholic prince of Orange", as his father in 1573 – leading the Dutch Revolt – had become a Calvinist Protestant instead of a Catholic as he had been before."

"Toen een Spaanse kapitein na de moord op Willem van Oranje Filips Willem een bezoek bracht in Spanje, begon deze Willem te beledigen. Filips Willem kon dit niet verdragen en gooide de Spanjaard door het raam, die zijn val niet overleefde.[3]
When a Spanish captain after the murder of William of Orange visited Philip William in Spain, started the captain to insult his father's rememberance. Philip was outraged by it and throw the captain through the window, who don't survived it.
Nielsen, LiR, MM...another defenestration...
Further from the Dutch text:
In the service of the archduke Albert of the Spanish Netherlands...married the niece of the French Henry IV out of political reasons to have more influence on his family in the Dutch Republic...but by this marriage difficulties with Albert and as such rapprochement with his family in the Republic...as he died without children...it all returned to the Orange family...

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down

Filips-Willem the Catholic son of William the Silent

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1