A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Romance Germanic border Europe

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
LadyinRetirement
Censura

Romance Germanic border Europe - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Romance Germanic border Europe   Romance Germanic border Europe - Page 3 EmptyFri 23 Oct 2020, 11:07

I wasn't quite sure where to put La Page de La Lange Wallonne this comment - I didn't really think it merited its own thread.  While looking for stuff to offer to the French group I revisited .  Wallon is a language in its own right but some of its sounds reminded me of the northern French sounds referenced when MM mentioned the film Bienvenue Chez Les Ch'tis a while back.

An extract from L----- P------ W---- website about t sound in Wallon:-

"

• Le latin [k+a] ou [g+e,i,u a] a donné des phonèmes affriqués notés tch (comme dans tchèque) et dj (comme dans jazz): vatche (vache), djambe (jambe)."

Last edited by LadyinRetirement on Sat 24 Oct 2020, 17:25; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Romance Germanic border Europe   Romance Germanic border Europe - Page 3 EmptySat 24 Oct 2020, 17:13

LadyinRetirement wrote:
I wasn't quite sure where to maLa Page de La Lange Wallonne this comment - I didn't really think it merited its own thread.  While looking for stuff to offer to the French group I revisited .  Wallon is a language in its own right but some of its sounds reminded me of the northern French sounds referenced when MM mentioned the film Bienvenue Chez Les Ch'tis a while back.

An extract from L----- P------ W---- website about t sound in Wallon:-

"

• Le latin [k+a] ou [g+e,i,u a] a donné des phonèmes affriqués notés tch (comme dans tchèque) et dj (comme dans jazz): vatche (vache), djambe (jambe)."

LiR, just had some minutes ago a chat with a lady, who studied in childhood Dutch near Brussels and then excellent (in my opinion Wink) French in Brussels. And we came coincidentally to the prononciation of the "j" from Jean
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijCSnG-NSrc 
and I asked her about the "g" from "Gerard"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijCSnG-NSrc
In our East and West Flemish dialects we pronounce it the French way
and she agreed that in French too there was a difference between the pronunciation of the "j" and the "g" and as I hear it she pronounced it as I, with the "j" a bit as the "z", but the "j" a bit more as "z-ch?" (ch as in chez) and the "g" a bit as in "z-z-u" (with the "u" as in the English: dutch)

But in the French links I hear nearly no difference and I hear now for the first time in my life that they in French pronounce the end "d" in "Gerard". We both, the lady and I, pronounce it "Z-u-rar" as in "Édouard"
https://fr.forvo.com/word/%C3%A9douard/
And see now is it "ar" as we both, the lady and I, pronounce it...

All to say, LiR how difficult it is to pronounce dialects...

PS: Which Walloon dialect, LiR?

Romance Germanic border Europe - Page 3 Mape_Alphonse_Mar%C3%A9chal_1926

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Romance Germanic border Europe   Romance Germanic border Europe - Page 3 EmptySat 24 Oct 2020, 17:29

Deleted - duplicate comment.

Last edited by LadyinRetirement on Sat 24 Apr 2021, 10:37; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Romance Germanic border Europe   Romance Germanic border Europe - Page 3 EmptySat 24 Oct 2020, 17:29

Looking at my comment of yesterday it reads clumsily.  The cursor jumped but I should have noticed at the preview stage.  This is the webpage I was referring to (which has an English and Dutch version and even a Wallon version).  I think the author of the page was talking about Wallon in general terms and not any specific dialect.  http://users.skynet.be/lorint/wallang/wal-fra.html.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Romance Germanic border Europe   Romance Germanic border Europe - Page 3 EmptyThu 22 Apr 2021, 15:30

I’ve been reading MM’s thorough comment on the Jean Bart thread.   I remembered the name Franche-Comté from reading M Druon’s The Accursed Kings.  The author mentioned that at that time there were two Burgundies the duchy and the county.  A French person informed me that the county of Burgundy was the Franche-Comté. I wonder how independent the Franche-Comté was at the time when The Accursed Kings was set (during the end of Philippe le Bel’s reign and the reigns of his three sons). From reading M Druon’s novels I thought that Franche-Comté was at least under the suzerainty of France – of course feudalism and vassal states were complicated. I do recall that when we “did” the French Revolution at school, my fellow pupils and I learned  that serfdom still existed in some parts of eastern France until 1789 and that Franche-Comté was an area where it survived until then.

Edit: must be my 2nd Covid-jab making me sleepy/forgetful.  I honestly didn't make the connection that Franche-Comté is where the famous cheese is from though it's pretty obvious............

Last edited by LadyinRetirement on Sat 24 Apr 2021, 10:26; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Romance Germanic border Europe   Romance Germanic border Europe - Page 3 EmptyFri 23 Apr 2021, 22:30

Too late to reply LiR, see you tomorrow. Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Romance Germanic border Europe   Romance Germanic border Europe - Page 3 EmptySat 24 Apr 2021, 10:34

No worries, Paul. The French gentleman who sometimes joins the U3A French conversation group I belong to is from Belfort (that town is twinned with my hometown) so next time he is in the Zoom meeting I could ask him about the linguistic history of the area and how independent the area is, as Belfort territoire came under the Franche-Comté de la Bourgogne. I could get information 'from the horse's mouth' as it were.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Romance Germanic border Europe   Romance Germanic border Europe - Page 3 EmptySat 24 Apr 2021, 21:20

LiR, as many times one get a lot of information from wiki...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_of_Burgundy
And the county seems to have been sometimes in personal union with the Duchy of Burgundy.
But the duchy of Burgundy was still  a vassal of the king of France, while sometimes the County of Burgund was under the Habsburgs, if i understand it well.

A fascinating story is the one of the last duke of Burgundy Charles the Bold, who wanted to unite the Ducal Low Countries with his possesions in the South and failed in that at his death in Nancy.
What if he had succeeded? Perhaps not possible while France never would have allowed that encirclement, as indeed Louis XI in reality conspirated in the background...

Romance Germanic border Europe - Page 3 800px-Karte_Haus_Burgund_4_EN

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Romance Germanic border Europe   Romance Germanic border Europe - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Romance Germanic border Europe

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3