A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Canterbury Roll

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Caro
Censura
Caro

Canterbury Roll Empty
PostSubject: Canterbury Roll   Canterbury Roll EmptySat 11 Aug 2018, 04:38

The discussion recently of genealogical "research" dating people to famous people spuriously reminds me that I have been meaning to talk about this for a few days now.  

We had a radio programme on the other day about the Canterbury Roll and there is a website about this with many pictures and much information.  Among it is says:

The Canterbury Roll is a 15th-century, hand-written genealogy that begins with Noah and traces the rulers of England from the mythical Brutus to King Edward IV. The genealogy is accompanied by an extensive commentary in Latin. The five-metre long manuscript roll was purchased by the University of Canterbury in 1918 from the Maude family of Christchurch.

The new digital transcription and translation presented here, both of which have been mapped to a high quality digital facsimile of the Roll, are products of the Canterbury Roll Project. The ongoing project is a partnership between UC History, the UC Arts Digital Lab, the UC internship programme, the Collaborative Research Centre 933 of Heidelberg University, and Nottingham Trent University (UK).

Somehow this project has not come to the University of Canterbury in Christchurch, New Zealand, and I am wondering why.  I am uncertain how the Maude family obtained it, and why it was allowed to leave Britain.  I suppose it is not a truly historical document in that the history is obviously not very accurate, but it was made in Britain centuries ago.  It sound a fascinating project, whatever it is.  
Back to top Go down
Caro
Censura
Caro

Canterbury Roll Empty
PostSubject: Canterbury Roll   Canterbury Roll EmptySat 11 Aug 2018, 04:45

The discussion recently of genealogical "research" dating people to famous people spuriously reminds me that I have been meaning to talk about this for a few days now.  

We had a radio programme on the other day about the Canterbury Roll and there is a website about this with many pictures and much information.  Among it is says:

The Canterbury Roll is a 15th-century, hand-written genealogy that begins with Noah and traces the rulers of England from the mythical Brutus to King Edward IV. The genealogy is accompanied by an extensive commentary in Latin. The five-metre long manuscript roll was purchased by the University of Canterbury in 1918 from the Maude family of Christchurch.

The new digital transcription and translation presented here, both of which have been mapped to a high quality digital facsimile of the Roll, are products of the Canterbury Roll Project. The ongoing project is a partnership between UC History, the UC Arts Digital Lab, the UC internship programme, the Collaborative Research Centre 933 of Heidelberg University, and Nottingham Trent University (UK).

Somehow this project has not come to the University of Canterbury in Christchurch, New Zealand, and I am wondering why.  I am uncertain how the Maude family obtained it, and why it was allowed to leave Britain.  I suppose it is not a truly historical document in that the history is obviously not very accurate, but it was made in Britain centuries ago.  It sound a fascinating project, whatever it is.  
Back to top Go down
Caro
Censura
Caro

Canterbury Roll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canterbury Roll   Canterbury Roll EmptySat 11 Aug 2018, 04:53

Sorry, I am having a lot of difficulty with this site since we did something to our computer recently.  It tends to come up with No Post Mode or something like that.  This end IS there but not really able to be seen.  So I am sending it again, apparently for the third time!

Somehow this project has come to the University of Canterbury in Christchurch, New Zealand, and I am wondering why.  I am uncertain how the Maude family obtained it, and why it was allowed to leave Britain.  I suppose it is not a truly historical document in that the history is obviously not very accurate, but it was made in Britain centuries ago.  It sound a fascinating project, whatever it is.  

Last edited by Caro on Mon 13 Aug 2018, 09:15; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

Canterbury Roll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canterbury Roll   Canterbury Roll EmptySat 11 Aug 2018, 11:34

The Canterbury Roll sounds interesting, Caro, and hope your computer either rights itself spontaneously or is righted.  It's a long time since I read (in translation) Thomas Malory's Morte D'Arthur but I seem to remember descent from Brutus was claimed for Arthur in that work.  The old adage about there being nothing new under the sun seems to be true in this instance;people (though not in this case historical novelists) have been letting their imaginations run riot a long time before everyone's favourite historian turned her attention to Elizabeth Woodville!

Addendum:  My real-life name is Irish sounding and I am of part-Irish ancestry and I know that the "O" prefixing some Irish surnames means something like 'descendant of 'https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_name  Mind you I don't understand the complexities of the dark ages Irish clan system so it may not necessarily follow that someone with the name O'Bloggs (not a real name) was descended from the original (fictional) O'Bloggs' the Mighty, but possibly from the Mighty O'Bloggs ninth cousin seventeen times removed.

Last edited by LadyinRetirement on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 10:15; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

Canterbury Roll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canterbury Roll   Canterbury Roll EmptySat 11 Aug 2018, 23:42

Caro and LiR,

first time I hear from the Canterbury Roll, but it was common practice also in Rome to go to the Greek ancestry of demi-gods...as Aeneas...
Will seek more information about the "Roll"...
I too have an ancestry going back to a holy man from the time of Charlemagne, he preached even in England...
And it has to be true because we are with some 13,000 from that descent in the North of France...or it has to be that these 13,000 wanted the same as I: to say that they had a saint as forebear...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richarius

I was there, and the conservator said that they had opened the grave and they had found three skeletons, one above the other, including one of a woman...that's really something for a fiction novel...
https://www.tripadvisor.be/Attraction_Review-g425089-d6891467-Reviews-Abbaye_Saint_Riquier-St_Riquier_Somme_Hauts_de_France.html

Kind regards from Paul Riquier
Back to top Go down
Dirk Marinus
Consulatus
Dirk Marinus

Canterbury Roll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canterbury Roll   Canterbury Roll EmptySun 12 Aug 2018, 12:10

Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

Canterbury Roll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canterbury Roll   Canterbury Roll EmptySun 12 Aug 2018, 22:10

Dirk Marinus wrote:
Some more interesting reading about the Canterbury Roll:

http://www.ancientpages.com/2018/01/05/unique-canterbury-roll-ancient-manuscript-reveals-secrets-history-england/

Dirk

Thank you very much for the link Dirk.
From the link:
http://canterburyroll.canterbury.ac.nz/images/pdf/getting-started.pdf
http://canterburyroll.canterbury.ac.nz/#
Not knowledgeable enough to scroll through the "digital" version to see the English translation of the first translated part...

Some small film where they unroll the roll with comments:
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/secrets-britains-royal-rulers-hidden-in-600-year-old-canterbury-roll

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Canterbury Roll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canterbury Roll   Canterbury Roll Empty

Back to top Go down

Canterbury Roll

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: The history of people ... :: Customs, traditions, etiquette and ethics-