A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Sumptuary Laws

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
PaulRyckier
Censura

Sumptuary Laws - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sumptuary Laws   Sumptuary Laws - Page 2 EmptyWed 21 Aug 2019, 20:02

Nielsen wrote:
Two things, 
Paul, the way you describe how you've grown up through your hair is in Danish called a 'moon', and have given name to a 'satelite haircut', as in cutting round the moon.
Gil, I sincerely think that grey hair is hereditary, as parents get it because of their children.

Niels,

thanks for your "moon" description. And as for Gil you would believe your joke as with the "monsters"...or perhaps the girl Siduri has taken the bulk of the "things" on her shoulders...pardon on her hair?...and it seems that the girls are later "grey" than the boys...or am I wrong in that matter too?...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Green George
Censura
Green George

PostSubject: Re: Sumptuary Laws   Sumptuary Laws - Page 2 EmptyWed 21 Aug 2019, 22:37

Senior Monster (35) has followed my father and his father in developing "male pattern baldness" whilst I and Junior Monster (31) follow my mother's father, but JM hasn't yet started to go grey. The girl Siduri is less grey than me, but both of us are frequently thought to be a fair few years younger than we really are.
Back to top Go down
Caro
Censura
Caro

PostSubject: Re: Sumptuary Laws   Sumptuary Laws - Page 2 EmptyThu 22 Aug 2019, 06:41

All this talk of colours reminds me of the colour paintbox I and no doubt many others had as a child. Always being interested in names and families I was fascinated by these colours. From memory I think Cerise or some such colour was in the top left corner, and there were about 15 colours to each line, and I think there would have been about 5 or 6 lines. So lots of names there. I remember what I called the Madder family - there was Rose, certainly, but I don't remember the others though I think there were about 4 of them. 

We seem to have kept lots of souvenirs from our past but not these. Does anyone else remember these boxes and any of the other "families" in them.
Back to top Go down
Green George
Censura
Green George

PostSubject: Re: Sumptuary Laws   Sumptuary Laws - Page 2 EmptyThu 22 Aug 2019, 14:57

Pretty sure there was a brown madder - and there were the quartet "Burnt Umber, Raw Umber, Raw Sienna, Burnt Sienna" but we were swiftly changed over to "mix your own" Windsor & Newton paintboxes by our joint Head Mistress, who was a locally(at least) famous artist. Some of her stuff here :- https://artuk.org/discover/artists/batchelor-flint-emma-18831968#
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Sumptuary Laws   Sumptuary Laws - Page 2 EmptyThu 22 Aug 2019, 21:55

Green George wrote:
Senior Monster (35) has followed my father and his father in developing "male pattern baldness" whilst I and Junior Monster (31) follow my mother's father, but JM hasn't yet started to go grey. The girl Siduri is less grey than me,but both of us are frequently thought  to be a fair few years younger than we really are.

"but both of us are frequently thought  to be a fair few years younger than we really are."

That's a good thing, Gil. In our case, the "she" is older than me and nevertheless looks younger. To my exoneration I have to mention that she goes every week to the hairdresser and use a myriad of all kinds of "crèmes" for the face and pretty expensive treatments of the face in a "beauty salon" and that is only the top of the ice berg...to be honest she pushed me to wash the hair one to two times a week with a bluish-grey shampoo to make it shining and more, as she say it, as the grey of some filmstar in the "Bold and the Beautiful"...otherwise it is so "yellowish-grey" (she says)...

Kind regards to you, the girl Siduri and the Senior and Junior Monsters, from Paul.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Sumptuary Laws   Sumptuary Laws - Page 2 EmptyTue 15 Mar 2022, 23:09

Some way upthread I had mentioned - in connection with Mary, Queen of Scots - that she was interred at Tixall Hall (true) but I then went on to say that the hall had been converted into a posh hotel.  That was wrong.  Tixall Hall was demolished in 1927 and the building which was knocked down wasn't the Tixall Hall of MQOS's time.  It is the former gatehouse which has been converted into holiday accommodation (which may be self-catering).  The people who restored the old gatehouse purchased it for £300 back in 1968.  Mind you, it was in a bad state back then.
Back to top Go down
Green George
Censura
Green George

PostSubject: Re: Sumptuary Laws   Sumptuary Laws - Page 2 EmptyTue 15 Mar 2022, 23:16

Tixall also features a rather unusual feature  - Tixall Wide. https://www.routeyou.com/en-gb/location/view/48055327/tixall-wide
Back to top Go down
MarkUK
Praetor
MarkUK

PostSubject: Re: Sumptuary Laws   Sumptuary Laws - Page 2 EmptyWed 16 Mar 2022, 19:08

Mary, Queen of Scots actually stayed at four houses in Staffordshire - Tutbury Castle 1569-70 and 1585, Chartley Manor 1585-86, Tixall for a few weeks in 1586 and Hall Hill Manor, Abbots Bromley for one night also in 1586. 
Chartley and Tixall have been demolished or rebuilt. Tutbury survives as a ruin, but Mary's quarters have been demolished. Only Hall Hill survives pretty much as it was.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Sumptuary Laws   Sumptuary Laws - Page 2 EmptyThu 17 Mar 2022, 14:46

I'm sure MQoS has been discussed on this board but I can't find a thread dedicated to her and wasn't sure whether I should open one especially for a small point.*  For some reason I thought (or misremembered pictures) that Tixall Hall had been situated behind the Gatehouse but it seems to have been off to the left from this linked photograph.  The photograph of course is not of the Tixalll Hall where MQoS was imprisoned but of a later successor to that building.   http://www.lostheritage.org.uk/houses/lh_staffordshire_tixallhall_info_gallery.html

* I don't want to get too far away from the title of this thread.
Back to top Go down
Green George
Censura
Green George

PostSubject: Re: Sumptuary Laws   Sumptuary Laws - Page 2 EmptyThu 17 Mar 2022, 18:35

I wonder.
Does this count as a sumptuary law, or not?
From the "Book of St Albans" we get
“An Eagle for an Emperor,
 a Gyrfalcon for a King
 a Peregrine for a Prince,
 a Saker for a Knight,
 a Merlin for a Lady;
 a Goshawk for a Yeoman
, a Sparrowhawk for a Priest,
 a Musket for a Holy water Clerk,
 a Kestrel for a Knave.”

nb also from the same source "a treatyse of fisshing with an angle" by Dame Juliana Berners.
Now trying to discover what "saker" and "musket" are in modern parlance. Only met "saker" as a diminutive verion of a culverin before.
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: Sumptuary Laws   Sumptuary Laws - Page 2 EmptyThu 17 Mar 2022, 19:26

Or again Foreign Office rules about furniture for the ranks abroad where furnished accomodation is given.

Lowest grades - armchairs without arms - no sofa. Local fabric curtains  short.  dinner table for 6
Next up - sofa set but no arms on arm chairs longer  curtains local fabric.

Next  up = sofa set and chairs with arms - imported curtains allowed - rugs allowed dinner table for 8

Next up = carpets, quality sofa sets imported - and you may invite God to dinner at your dinner table for 12

This may well have changed by now -  I do recall a Consul General's wife who thought the entire idea a nonsense and caused a hub bub by getting posh furniture from the store given to lower minions to enjoy a bit more style.... and she preferred local ethnic curtaining to the imported. Whitehall had a fit.
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: Sumptuary Laws   Sumptuary Laws - Page 2 EmptyThu 17 Mar 2022, 19:29

GG -Hmmm...   sparrow hawk for a priest indeed. I hate them. Our local sparrow hawk perches  hunched like a small constipated parrot eyeing up the tiny birds to dive into  the bushes where they seek sanctuary.
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: Sumptuary Laws   Sumptuary Laws - Page 2 EmptyThu 17 Mar 2022, 20:27

Priscilla wrote:
I do recall a Consul General's wife who thought the entire idea a nonsense and caused a hub bub by getting posh furniture from the store given to lower minions to enjoy a bit more style.... and she preferred local ethnic curtaining to the imported.

That reminds me of a neighbouring couple when I was growing up. He was an RAF group captain and his wife was French. She commented that when they were first married and he was a lowly flying officer, he was considered too junior and they were considered too young to qualify for furnished married living quarters. She quipped - "So, in the eyes of the Pope it was okay for us to sleep together in the same bed, but not so in the eyes of the RAF."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sumptuary Laws   Sumptuary Laws - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Sumptuary Laws

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2