A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Warning - phishing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nielsen
Triumviratus Rei Publicae Constituendae

PostSubject: Warning - phishing   Thu 27 Sep 2018, 09:15

Hi,

A mail list with my name on it appears to have gone astray – so if anyone claiming to be me mails you asking for loans et cetera, DON’T ANSWER!

I have just received a mail claiming that I stand to receive a gift voucher for DKR 10,000 to IKEA. I just need to fill in a few forms!

A – the mail sender seems an ordinary Hotmail account – suspicion # 1,
B – the alleged surname of the sender was guab – accounting to Urban Dictionary this is an acronym for ‘goofy, unimportant, ass bitches’ – suspicion # 2.

Conclusion: I have not opened said mail and intend to do a Shift-Delete on it.

Take care
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Warning - phishing   Thu 27 Sep 2018, 09:25

There are so many scams around these days, Nielsen, but you appear to have been savvy enough to not fall for the scam.  I had somebody ring me up and tell me there was something wrong with my telephone hub yesterday - I discontinued the phone call.  I've had emails telling me I need to pay for something on iTunes - when I'd never bought anything on iTunes!  This was a while ago and I did an internet search and it turned out that it was a scam and had happened to a few people.

Actually a funny email did go into my spam folder yesterday but it may not be because of your mailing list, Nielsen.

There is a site https://haveibeenpwned.com/ where people can look to see if their email has been "pwned".  It isn't 100% foolproof of course - one's email could have been hacked without it showing up on the site.  My yahoo email had been hacked so I use a different email for work now.
Back to top Go down

Warning - phishing

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: Introductions ... :: Intros, polls, etc appear here-