A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Et in terra pax hominibus

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

Et in terra pax hominibus Empty
PostSubject: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyMon 24 Dec 2018, 09:11

Just in case there are any of the old gang also looking into the site from time to time, seasonal greetings and warm cheer in memory of the good ol' days here - even to the non Christmas observers and  you old humbuggers (assorted.) Regards, P.
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Triumviratus Rei Publicae Constituendae
Nielsen

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyMon 24 Dec 2018, 10:29

Thank you for the greeting, Priscilla.
Admittedly I'm old - yet never in a gang!

And a Merry Christmas to you too, P., where I come from it's still pc to mention 'holy days' by their religious names and not just joining them together as 'seasonal' - thus not so much humbug.

Regards to all of you from me.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyMon 24 Dec 2018, 10:43

All the bugs are coming out of the woodwork and humming this morning. That can't be bad - can it?

Merry Whatever to all at Res His - please don't let the old place die a death. Was it really seven years ago that nord - blessing be upon him - started the site?

Thank you, sir - and please do not disappear for good (or bad).

PS Ferval - hope you are out there.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyMon 24 Dec 2018, 13:05

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all at Res.

Et in terra pax hominibus 8c92bcb70f835e8c353e2489193b4364
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyMon 24 Dec 2018, 13:05

Happy Christmas/God Jul/Nollaig Sonas/Felic Sol Invictus etc to each and all from me too.

Having a quiet one this year, so apologies if it resembles a disappearance. But then again, "multa paucis", as Mr Aurelius might have said.
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyMon 24 Dec 2018, 13:45

As Tiny Tim (not he of Aclea) said, "Merry Christmas everyone" (or should it be every one). Believers and non-believers, I hope you enjoy the day.

Last edited by LadyinRetirement on Mon 24 Dec 2018, 14:25; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyMon 24 Dec 2018, 14:17

Well this dippy old badger forgot to block his diary dates this year and so got surprised in late Summer by a booking for Christmas. Oh humbugger indeed! But as I've now got paying guests over Christmas I felt I ought to make a bit of an effort and so I've actually put up a tree and decorations for the first time since 2010. I've even constructed a wreath for the front door out of a wire coat-hanger, holly and fir boughs (à la 'Blue Peter') and made other seasonal 'floral' decorations for the communal rooms and breakfast table. Thankfully though my guests are attending a big family get-together in the village so I just need to do breakfasts and I don't have to prepare the whole French révellon and répas de Noël multi-course eating extravaganza.

So for this year I've actually got quite into the whole thing ... although since I'm working I intend to have my Christmas on the 27th once everyone has gone and it'll be just me the cats and Doggy-Dog.

So happy Christmas - or happy Shadenfreudefest to borrow Temp's phrase - to everyone.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyMon 24 Dec 2018, 14:28

Triceratops wrote:
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all at Res.

Et in terra pax hominibus 8c92bcb70f835e8c353e2489193b4364
Where's this one from, Trike?  I wish I was as adept as you (and Nielson and MM) as finding the comic angle to various subjects.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyMon 24 Dec 2018, 14:41

LiR,
pinterest.co.uk

Pinterest

there's all sorts of stuff on there.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyMon 24 Dec 2018, 18:07

nordman wrote:

Having a quiet one this year, so apologies if it resembles a disappearance. But then again, "multa paucis", as Mr Aurelius might have said.

Well, you always say much, be it in few or many words.

Hope you are OK. I am sure I speak for us all when I say I hope that we shall see (read) more of you in the New Year.

Still haven't done the sprouts, so alas discussion of the Logos must wait until 2019 - but will comment, Tim. It's such an interesting subject.   Smile Fighting drunken
Back to top Go down
Dirk Marinus
Consulatus
Dirk Marinus

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyTue 25 Dec 2018, 10:03

and from me just in simple words :

"a Very Merry Christmas to each and everyone"

Dirk
Back to top Go down
Caro
Censura
Caro

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyWed 26 Dec 2018, 02:03

Christmas Day is over here and I think it is the middle of the night for most of you. We've had an elongated Xmas, with all of us here (except our children in Nottingham) for a Christmas dinner on Saturday and another one yesterday with just our nearby kids. I am just amazed at how many presents people give their kids these days, and sometimes think of the others who get next to nothing. But I have learnt not to say this out loud.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyWed 26 Dec 2018, 21:57

Dirk Marinus wrote:

Dirk

I join my nearly compatriot, once starting life in the Low Countries as me and perhaps having retained a bit of our culture during the  later wanderings till ending there (not that far?) near Newcastle...

Merry Christmas to all of you. 'n Zalig en Gelukkig Kerstfeest (as we say it overhere, literally: "a blessed and happy Christ feast")
Lady returning from revalidation to the house on the last day of 2018 with a new hip...not too much time...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyThu 27 Dec 2018, 23:42

PaulRyckier wrote:
as we say it overhere, literally

Paul that reminds me of the debate in the Finnish language regarding whether 'Sota on ohi' is a translation or just a transliteration of 'War is over'. This stems from the famous black and white billboards which appeared in different languages in cities around the world in December 1971 with a message from John and Yoko (promoting their song Happy Xmas (War Is Over). The one in Helsinki was to be found off the stylish Kaivokatu there. Some Finns suggest that a better translation in Finnish would be 'Sota ohi on'. Others, however, argue that Sota on ohi is a perfectly acceptable translation and that to quibble about the order of the words is to spectacularly miss the internationalist point of the message as outlined in Priscilla's opening post. Others again might suggest that Mr Lennon was something of a canting hypocrite for spouting words of love and peace while simultaneously behaving abysmally towards his own son Julian and also (allegedly) gun-running for the IRA. But maybe that's for another thread.

The Finnish language is, after all, an incredibly difficult language to master and any non-Finn who does so must immediately graduate to among the first ranks of the world's linguists. Finnish has more grammatical cases (15) then there are days of Christmas (12). And anyone who has sung or has heard the song The Twelve Days of Christmas knows just how long and drawn out that can be. Just imagine a similar song or aide memoir designed to assist the learner of Finnish in remembering the ablative, the adessive, the elative and the inessive etc. Maybe such a thing exists for schoolchildren in Finland. I don’t know.

What I do know, however, is that The Twelve Days of Christmas is itself prone to mishearings and mistranslations. Today is the Third Day of Christmas which in the song equates with ‘three French hens’. Some think that the words may have originally been three French horns. A French horn was originally a hunting horn with winter hunts traditional beginning after Christmas. And staying with French – the French word for a partridge (the gift of the First Day) is ‘perdrix’ which sounds strikingly similar to the English ‘pear tree’ in which said partridge is supposedly roosting. Mmm. In short the song is a linguistic and etymological quagmire.  

For the remaining 9 days, however, Merry Christmas!
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Nielsen

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyFri 28 Dec 2018, 10:01

Quote :

PaulRyckier wrote:
Dirk Marinus wrote:

Dirk

I join my nearly compatriot, once starting life in the Low Countries as me and perhaps having retained a bit of our culture during the  later wanderings till ending there (not that far?) near Newcastle...

Merry Christmas to all of you. 'n Zalig en Gelukkig Kerstfeest (as we say it overhere, literally: "a blessed and happy Christ feast")
Lady returning from revalidation to the house on the last day of 2018 with a new hip...not too much time...

Kind regards from Paul.

Re yours, "Lady returning from revalidation to the house on the last day of 2018 with a new hip...not too much time..."

There are uneasy times, Paul, when one must say that ’such is life’, I hope you’ll soon be able to concentrate on the good sides of what’s happening, that your good Lady has and shall receive the help and instructions enabling her to rest and continue her - and your - life as you'll both want to. Perhaps a comment to the revalidation people on what seem to be realistic in just your*) situation and what not.

There might be something in the instructions you haven’t noticed, which could have given support to Madame or to you, point out that with better instructions could be personalized and perhaps received better. A cool brain and a warm heart on their side could be a God-send to the patient instead of a standard pack handed out by a Civil Servant to a client.*)

My best wishes for a good recovery with the help and good instructions from physiotherapists**) that will be needed.

*) Note: ‘Just William’.

**) Note: As I actually know next to nothing about Belgium's health care, I can and am here speaking in general terms.

***) Note: I have occasionally felt the need to call such staff ‘physio-terrorists’, as they can and do - at least here - chase patients around doing lots of exercises while apparently doing bu***r-all but watching themselves. A comment from me to them have at such times been along lines that ‘there’s nothing too hard or complicated for he, who doesn’t have to do it himself.’

Take care of yourselves in the times coming up.

Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyFri 28 Dec 2018, 10:58

Vizzer wrote:

What I do know, however, is that The Twelve Days of Christmas is itself prone to mishearings and mistranslations. Today is the Third Day of Christmas which in the song equates with ‘three French hens’. Some think that the words may have originally been three French horns. A French horn was originally a hunting horn with winter hunts traditional beginning after Christmas. And staying with French – the French word for a partridge (the gift of the First Day) is ‘perdrix’ which sounds strikingly similar to the English ‘pear tree’ in which said partridge is supposedly roosting. Mmm. In short the song is a linguistic and etymological quagmire.  

And today, the 28th, is the fourth day of Christmas and so as the song goes my true love sent to me "four calling birds". Or did they? Early printed versions of the song usually have it as "colly" or "collie" birds", that is, coal-black birds, meaning the common blackbird (Turdus merula), while subsequent versions had variously; coloured, canary, or curley birds.

There is a similar cumulative traditional song from northern Franch usually known as 'Les Douze Mois' - 'The Twelve Months' (the title says months although the song itself mentioned days), and it is also sometimes called 'La Perdriole' - 'The Partridge song'. The final (twelfth) verse, as given in 'Chants Populaires des Flamands de France' (1856) goes:

Le douzièm' jour d'l'année, [the twelfth day of the year]
Que me donn'rez vous ma mie? [what will you give me, my love?]
Douze coqs chantants, [twelve singing cockerels]
Onze plats d'argent, [eleven silver dishes]
Dix pigeons blancs, [ten white pigeons]
Neuf bœufs cornus, [nine horned oxen]
Huit vaches mordants, [eight biting cows]
Sept moulins à vent, [seven windmills]
Six chiens courants, [six running dogs]
Cinq lapins courant par terre, [five rabbits running along the ground]
Quat' canards volant en l'air, [four ducks flying in the air]
Trois rameaux de bois, [three wooden branches]
Deux tourterelles, [two turtle doves]
Un' perdrix sole, [one lone partridge]
Qui va, qui vient, qui vole, [who goes, who comes, who flies]
Qui vole dans les bois. [who flies in the woods]

Note the above partridge specifically flies in the woods rather like the pear-tree perching partidge of the English song. The native English, common or grey partridge (Perdix perdix), usually stays on the ground amongst open pasture or agricultural land, and very rarely perches in trees or even enters orchards and woodland - unlike the red-legged or French partridge (Alectoris rufa) which does perch in trees. The French partidge was not successfully introduced into England until about 1780, which is the date at which the English song, 'The Twelve Days of Christmas' first appeared in print.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyFri 28 Dec 2018, 12:21

I'd heard that Finnish had many cases, Vizzer but I did not know it was as many as 15.  Coming from a Catholic background I had some schoolfellows who were the children of displaced Poles (after World War II) so I knew Polish had a lot of cases, I had been told it had more than Latin (which has 6 if I remember correctly).  I mentioned Polish (which I don't speak) having many cases in conversation once and somebody added that Finnish had more.  And here's more me trying to get to grips with the Spanish subjunctive.  I missed the introduction to the subjunctive mood in my U3A Spanish lessons so have been watching a few videos* to try and make up what I missed.  I know it has to do with uncertainty but there seem to be some peculiarities of its use in Spanish that I can't get my head around.  * And not one of the videos about a conspiracy theory.

MM, well spotted about the co-incidence concerning the Twelve Days of Christmas first being printed and the introduction of the French partridge into England.

Paul, I hope things will go as smoothly as possible for your wife upon her discharge from hospital.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyFri 28 Dec 2018, 13:34

Larry the Cat has done his own Twelve Days of Christmas. Precious little peace and goodwill from Number 10 cat, I'm afraid, as Larry's version of the traditional song tells of mass avian slaughter: Larry boasts of having eaten the French hens, all the doves, the calling birds and the solitary partridge.

He also enjoyed a goose omelette.

He hesitated somewhat about the seven swans, as these birds all belong to Her Majesty, but in the end demolished them too.

As for not a mouse stirring on the night before Christmas, one stupid rodent did, and Larry apparently ate that too.

PS Sorry if this should be on the Moggy Thread
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyFri 28 Dec 2018, 13:48

Larry could have eaten the "five gold rings" too if, as has been suggested, they were originally five goldspinks, which was a colloquial name for goldfinches.

..... But might not the partridge actually be a magpie? (Un pie in French). There is an old drinking song from the 17th century (recorded by William Sandys the 19th century antiquarian) which goes:

A pye sate on a pear tree, Heigh O!
Once so merrily hopp'd she; Heigh O!
Twice so merrily, Heigh O!
Thrice so, etc, ...

And there's also a similar French children's song that goes,

Y'a une pie dans l' poirier
J'entends la mère qui chante
Y'a une pie dans l' poirier
J'entends la mère chanter
J'entends, j'entends
J'entends la mère qui chante,
J'entends, j'entends
J'entends la mère chanter.

There's a magpie in the pear-tree,
I hear the mother singing,
There's a magpie in the pear-tree,
I hear the mother sing.
I hear, I hear,
I hear the mother singing,
I hear, I hear,
I hear the mother sing.

And with regard to magpies - which do most definitely perch in groups in trees - remember there's also the English counting game in relation to the number of magpies seen together:

One for sorrow,
Two for joy,
Three for a girl,
Four for a boy,
Five for silver,
Six for gold,
Seven for a secret,
Never to be told, etc...,
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyFri 28 Dec 2018, 22:52

Vizzer wrote:
PaulRyckier wrote:
as we say it overhere, literally

Paul that reminds me of the debate in the Finnish language regarding whether 'Sota on ohi' is a translation or just a transliteration of 'War is over'. This stems from the famous black and white billboards which appeared in different languages in cities around the world in December 1971 with a message from John and Yoko (promoting their song Happy Xmas (War Is Over). The one in Helsinki was to be found off the stylish Kaivokatu there. Some Finns suggest that a better translation in Finnish would be 'Sota ohi on'. Others, however, argue that Sota on ohi is a perfectly acceptable translation and that to quibble about the order of the words is to spectacularly miss the internationalist point of the message as outlined in Priscilla's opening post. Others again might suggest that Mr Lennon was something of a canting hypocrite for spouting words of love and peace while simultaneously behaving abysmally towards his own son Julian and also (allegedly) gun-running for the IRA. But maybe that's for another thread.

The Finnish language is, after all, an incredibly difficult language to master and any non-Finn who does so must immediately graduate to among the first ranks of the world's linguists. Finnish has more grammatical cases (15) then there are days of Christmas (12). And anyone who has sung or has heard the song The Twelve Days of Christmas knows just how long and drawn out that can be. Just imagine a similar song or aide memoir designed to assist the learner of Finnish in remembering the ablative, the adessive, the elative and the inessive etc. Maybe such a thing exists for schoolchildren in Finland. I don’t know.

For the remaining 9 days, however, Merry Christmas!

Vizzer,

"Paul that reminds me of the debate in the Finnish language regarding whether 'Sota on ohi' is a translation or just a transliteration of 'War is over'. This stems from the famous black and white billboards which appeared in different languages in cities around the world in December 1971 with a message from John and Yoko (promoting their song Happy Xmas (War Is Over). The one in Helsinki was to be found off the stylish Kaivokatu there. Some Finns suggest that a better translation in Finnish would be 'Sota ohi on'. Others, however, argue that Sota on ohi is a perfectly acceptable translation and that to quibble about the order of the words is to spectacularly miss the internationalist point of the message as outlined in Priscilla's opening post. Others again might suggest that Mr Lennon was something of a canting hypocrite for spouting words of love and peace while simultaneously behaving abysmally towards his own son Julian and also (allegedly) gun-running for the IRA. But maybe that's for another thread."

I heard about John Lennon and I read more about the Vietnam War...but that's all...even that world around... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Am I now as nordmann pointed to that stupid uninterested in politics floating mass...?
Had to search it all on the internet... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

"The Finnish language is, after all, an incredibly difficult language to master and any non-Finn who does so must immediately graduate to among the first ranks of the world's linguists. Finnish has more grammatical cases (15) then there are days of Christmas (12). And anyone who has sung or has heard the song The Twelve Days of Christmas knows just how long and drawn out that can be. Just imagine a similar song or aide memoir designed to assist the learner of Finnish in remembering the ablative, the adessive, the elative and the inessive etc. Maybe such a thing exists for schoolchildren in Finland. I don’t know.
What I do know, however, is that The Twelve Days of Christmas is itself prone to mishearings and mistranslations. Today is the Third Day of Christmas which in the song equates with ‘three French hens’. Some think that the words may have originally been three French horns. A French horn was originally a hunting horn with winter hunts traditional beginning after Christmas. And staying with French – the French word for a partridge (the gift of the First Day) is ‘perdrix’ which sounds strikingly similar to the English ‘pear tree’ in which said partridge is supposedly roosting. Mmm. In short the song is a linguistic and etymological quagmire."

Again I have to admit that I didn't heard about that song Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed , although MM gives the example of:
There is a similar cumulative traditional song from northern Franch usually known as 'Les Douze Mois' - 'The Twelve Months' (the title says months although the song itself mentioned days), and it is also sometimes called 'La Perdriole' - 'The Partridge song'. The final (twelfth) verse, as given in 'Chants Populaires des Flamands de France' (1856) goes:
"Chants Populaires des Flamands de France (1856)" But yes 1856 is a long time ago...
https://www.vox.com/2015/12/25/10661878/12-days-of-christmas-explained

And about Finnish, yes I knew as I learned about it when studying Russian. The Finnish-Ugric as Finnish, Sami, Hungarian, Estonian...yes no related to Germanic, Romance or Slavic. The hordes of the East ran between the Fins and the Hungarians and let Hungary as a language island in the middle of the "others"
https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Finnish-in-particular-a-hard-language-to-learn
https://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2016/10/21/hungarian/

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyFri 28 Dec 2018, 23:06

Nielsen wrote:
Quote :

Re yours, "Lady returning from revalidation to the house on the last day of 2018 with a new hip...not too much time..."

There are uneasy times, Paul, when one must say that ’such is life’, I hope you’ll soon be able to concentrate on the good sides of what’s happening, that your good Lady has and shall receive the help and instructions enabling her to rest and continue her - and your - life as you'll both want to. Perhaps a comment to the revalidation people on what seem to be realistic in just your*) situation and what not.

There might be something in the instructions you haven’t noticed, which could have given support to Madame or to you, point out that with better instructions could be personalized and perhaps received better. A cool brain and a warm heart on their side could be a God-send to the patient instead of a standard pack handed out by a Civil Servant to a client.*)

My best wishes for a good recovery with the help and good instructions from physiotherapists**) that will be needed.

*) Note: ‘Just William’.

**) Note: As I actually know next to nothing about Belgium's health care, I can and am here speaking in general terms.

***) Note: I have occasionally felt the need to call such staff ‘physio-terrorists’, as they can and do - at least here - chase patients around doing lots of exercises while apparently doing bu***r-all but watching themselves. A comment from me to them have at such times been along lines that ‘there’s nothing too hard or complicated for he, who doesn’t have to do it himself.’

Take care of yourselves in the times coming up.

Nielsen, thank you so much for your friendly and compassionate message. And here in Belgium we have still a good care and cheap, they come from the Netherlands and even from the UK to Bruges, even from the West of Germany (but not anymore, the insurances sent them now to the cheaper East German health care)...and a female "kinesiste" some 300 metres from us and a lot money return from the health care for her services...and perhaps as it is a lady..but they can I suppose as terrorist as the males...but we have experience about her from the past...

And LiR thank you also for your wishes:
Paul, I hope things will go as smoothly as possible for your wife upon her discharge from hospital.

Kind and warm regards to both from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyTue 15 Dec 2020, 11:48

Greetings to all while still able to send any.......i.e. am getting a jab this week and grateful for it. Am currently knitting woolly hats for people with woolly heads who also dash into charity shops for essentials. Now we are down in tier three here - which, in a modern wedding cake, is the  fruit layer; figures. 
No one coming  for Christmas hugs thus possibly preventing a painful death - of such mercies we must be grateful.... so no extra  shopping, cooking, washing up, beds to make up either..... mmm. Peace and Goodwill to all Res Hists.  our unknown guests and a bot or two, from P.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyTue 15 Dec 2020, 12:52

Io Saturnalia!

As of today, in France we're finally allowed out without the need to carry ID, proof of address and the mandatory, signed, dated and timed, legal attestation (the "note from mum") giving us permission to be away from the house for a couple of hours. However we do still have to be tucked up at home every evening in advance of the the 20:00 - 6:00 overnight curfew. And like Germany and the Netherlands we might all still get locked down again for Christmas if it goes wrong. 

But at least I can now venture out to the shops. With my passport and attestation that was always allowed, but twice now I've been stopped by the Gendarmes and while my papers were in order, I got a telling off for my certificate de controle technique (MOT certificate) being out of date and my tyres being almost as bald as me. Both times they let me off but I didn't want to tempt fate too often and so the last time I ventured out, as soon as I'd spotted them as I came round the corner, I diverted around their road block by going up a side lane, through a disused garage forecourt and then cutting back, further up the main road from the boys-in-blue, through the council's vehicle depot and so back onto the road via the adjacent bus-stop. (OK, I know these are not the Gestapo, Stazi or Milice, and they've actually been very polite and pleasant both times I was stopped, but still I could do without getting any extra cost and hassle just now, thankyou). Anyway as of today and with less worry about getting a spot fine, I can venture out for a final pre-Christmas food shop later this week, and then I'll be all done. As usual there's going to be only me, Dogglet and the cats, so it'll be very quiet. Apart from the police I haven't seen or spoken to a single person for over two weeks now, not that I'm bothered.

So yes peace and quiet to all is the rather enforced mantra this year. But at least our little Tumbleweed bar will still be open all hours, with it's tawdry betinselled trebuchet and stale (sorry, "nicely-aged") pickled gannets. We might even get a seasonal Christmas Punch, if we upset the landlord too much.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyTue 15 Dec 2020, 19:56

Priscilla and MM, thank you for the wishes and also Season's Greetings to you and the rest of the panel and indeed to all, who do the trouble to read our "conversations".

Bleak Christmas this year. Our "bubble" under the same roof can only receive one "person" as "knuffelcontact" (it became immediately the word of the year) (hug each other?)
https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/en/2020/11/12/from-china-to-ukraine-people-know-a-knuffelcontact-when-they-see/

Et in terra pax hominibus 124554285_10158783455687530_4789899650308431755_n.png?_nc_cat=110&ccb=2&_nc_sid=2d5d41&_nc_ohc=ZDqGUgwN2-MAX_vinSy&_nc_ht=scontent-bru2-1

That means that only one of the grandchildren can come to have a hug. The photo is misleading  (it can be also a hug without mask and not two as in the article. In the meantime it is changed to one. Belgium one of the worst affected in the world.)

But for this perhaps one occassion in a lifetime, I find it wise to follow government regulations as it is for our own's health and that of others.

From P.
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptySat 19 Dec 2020, 17:05

Greetings all round.  Have had my first jab - and with a large dollop of remorse that I should because the very many on the front line who give daily service to keep us alive, fed, warm and well  and who may have to wait for theirs. I know it might stop me from being a work intensive lay abed but also feel for the very many who deserve a long life too. Am amused by the thought of all this media misery about not hugging gran - had I ever hugged mine she would have been mortified. They don't make grands like they used to.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptySat 19 Dec 2020, 17:35

Priscilla wrote:
Greetings all round.  Have had my first jab - and with a large dollop of remorse that I should because the very many on the front line who give daily service to keep us alive, fed, warm and well  and who may have to wait for theirs. I know it might stop me from being a work intensive lay abed but also feel for the very many who deserve a long life too. Am amused by the thought of all this media misery about not hugging gran - had I ever hugged mine she would have been mortified. They don't make grands like they used to.

Priscilla,

thanks for the greetings.
And with the word "jab" I can understand now all the difficulties of our Spanish translator "Comic Monster"...

You mentioned already that you have had a "jab" (definition by Merriam Webster and all). I felt with you...having had a blow with the fist I didn't know where...and now again about that "jab"...
But now I sought with Urban Dictionary and Slang"....

And yes now "injection"...and suddenly it became all clear...and don't laugh with me...I think I am not the only stupid Dutch/French Belgian...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
brenogler
Praetor
brenogler

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptySat 19 Dec 2020, 22:02

Et in terra pax hominibus Howay-in-a-manger-geordie-christmas-cards-newcastle-grainger-market-shop
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyWed 23 Dec 2020, 13:45

Christmas 2011, when Res His was set up, seems an awful long way away. Here's hoping happier times will return.

My Christmas card to all posters - a lovely picture of Yuletide Larry. 

Et in terra pax hominibus Ep6vlHDXMAQP6NV?format=jpg&name=large
Back to top Go down
brenogler
Praetor
brenogler

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyWed 23 Dec 2020, 21:43

You are a lovely cat. %%$£% Mind your head!
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyThu 24 Dec 2020, 10:11

And "bona voluntas" (sorry for being vulgate - blame the monks) to everyone from me too, and especially to all those on "insula calamitosus".

This guy might have been "snill" enough feed your livestock, but he was equally inclined to kidnap your children and spirit them away to his secret cave to torture them for eternity ...

Et in terra pax hominibus Nystrom_God-Jul_11

And here's to the new year! (I left out the "happy" bit - one bitten, twice shy and all that ...)

Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyThu 24 Dec 2020, 11:51

Merry Christmas to All !!!!

Et in terra pax hominibus 132332-Christmas-Christmas_Tree-winter-snow-christmas_lights-forest
Back to top Go down
brenogler
Praetor
brenogler

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyThu 24 Dec 2020, 19:46

nordmann wrote:
And "bona voluntas" (sorry for being vulgate - blame the monks) to everyone from me too, and especially to all those on "insula calamitosus".

This guy might have been "snill" enough feed your livestock, but he was equally inclined to kidnap your children and spirit them away to his secret cave to torture them for eternity ...

Et in terra pax hominibus Nystrom_God-Jul_11

And here's to the new year! (I left out the "happy" bit - one bitten, twice shy and all that ...)

Best wishes to all, however your happiness arrives.

Ever optimistic, I am hoping for slight improvements in March or April ... (2022).

Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyThu 24 Dec 2020, 23:05

Triceratops wrote:
Merry Christmas to All !!!!

As one whose British father brought me up to wish people a "Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year" and that to say "Happy Christmas" was a modern development and indicative of the increasing bland use of language in the UK, I was naturally predisposed to believing that the famous poem A Visit from St Nicholas (aka The Night before Christmas) must surely have used the term 'Merry Christmas' in its text. This was particularly so with it being an American poem and a 19th Century poem too. A double-whammy as it were. And true to form, the 1862 publication in the Library of Congress does indeed have St Nick exclaim "Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!" at the end of the poem:

A Visit from Saint Nicholas

It came as something of a surprise to me, therefore, to discover that the first publication of the poem, in The Troy Sentinel in 1823 has him saying "Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night":

The Troy Sentinel, Tuesday, December 23, 1823

And so too does the manuscript from author Clement C. Moore:

'Twas the night before Christmas

In other words my previously held misconception (i.e. that Americans would never say 'Happy Christmas') was just that. That said - Merry Christmas!
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyFri 25 Dec 2020, 12:38

I still haven't acquired the skill of inserting a picture in a Res Historica post (so no Christmas picture from me) but wish everyone all the best for the festive season and hope you all keep safe and well.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyFri 25 Dec 2020, 16:45

LadyinRetirement wrote:
I still haven't acquired the skill of inserting a picture in a Res Historica post (so no Christmas picture from me) but wish everyone all the best for the festive season and hope you all keep safe and well.

LiR, 

mostly it works when I just copy the picture and past it directly in my message. Sometimes I have to seek the picture first in Google or seek first the address of the picture in Google and then copy and past...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Green George
Censura
Green George

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyFri 25 Dec 2020, 22:38

Et in terra pax hominibus ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP

Happy Hogswatch one and all!
(despite the fact that most of those at the church I occasional attend insist on "Happy Christmas" for temperance considerations)

Bit of a mixed up day, actually. We were going to eat at Senior Monster's - he's bubbled with us - but about half an hour before trough time he announced he was losing his sense of smell. Much sending of turkey, stuffing and other tracklements one way and vegetables the other, and we now await his test tomorrow morning.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyFri 25 Dec 2020, 23:36

GG, youngen, I hope for the best.
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyTue 21 Dec 2021, 19:31

'Er wig agin' So it's Christmas 2021 and some of us have survived - sad that Paul di not make it. Greetings then as we soldier on for another year - enjoy the season and most sincerely to all. ....'In terra pax hominibus.'
Regards, P.
Back to top Go down
Green George
Censura
Green George

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyTue 21 Dec 2021, 23:22

Nadolig llawen!
god Yul!

or solsticial greetings of your own predilection.
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Nielsen

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyFri 24 Dec 2021, 05:45

Thank you Gil and the same to you, and my good wishes for the regular - and irregular - inhabitants of this abode.
I'll hold a moments silence in memory of those no longer among us, none mentioned and none forgotten.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyFri 24 Dec 2021, 09:24

To all at Res His;

Et in terra pax hominibus B747eb75fa5fb9157fa50a7827bd4cb8
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyFri 24 Dec 2021, 11:26

That's a scarey looking chap, Gilgamesh.  Is it Krampus?  No pretty picture from me (or dodgy one) but I'll wish everyone compliments of the season and all the best for 2022 and a happy and peaceful Christmas to those among Res Historians who subscribe to Christianity.
Back to top Go down
Green George
Censura
Green George

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyFri 24 Dec 2021, 14:02

Since tonight & tomorrow mark not only Modranicht ("Mother's Night", high point of Jul), but the presumed birthdays of Mithra, Sol Invictus, and Jesus, it seemed appropriate to wish you all compliments of whichever season you deem most apposite.

LiR - That is the "Green Man" or "Green George", the symbol of rebirth.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyFri 24 Dec 2021, 14:35

I think LiR was referring to your picture of the Hogfather - the mythical, jolly, god-like creature from Terry Pratchet's eponymous book in his Discworld series of novels - who brings children presents on December 32nd in a manner similar to Santa Claus or Father Christmas. Mind you the original pagan Green Man, Jack-in-the-Green, Green George, Pan, the Woodwose, or whatever you call him, could, as the manifestation of a lawless elemental spirit, be quite scary too.
Back to top Go down
Green George
Censura
Green George

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyFri 24 Dec 2021, 15:55

Et in terra pax hominibus Hogfather_header-1

Death stands in for The Hogfather.
"The place where the falling angel meets the rising ape"
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyFri 24 Dec 2021, 16:21

I thought that BBC interpretation was absolutely brilliant and was made with so much love and respect to the original material. Indeed I might very well watch it all again tonight. The youtube link below is just part one but all the subsequent parts, four I think in total, should usually appear - at least they they did for me. Happy Hogmas!

It was the night before Hogswatch, "... and then Jack chopped down what was the world's last beanstalk, adding murder and ecological terrorism to the theft, enticement and trespass charges already mentioned. And the giant's children didn't have a daddy anymore. But he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves you can be excused just about anything if you're a Hero, because no one ever asks any inconvenient questions."

Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyFri 24 Dec 2021, 18:25

Here are 4 minutes of pure joy from 49 years ago:

Merry Christmas!

Cheers
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptyFri 24 Dec 2021, 21:14

I haven't read - or watched - much of Terry Pratchett's work or adaptations based thereon; hence my ignorance about The Hogfather.  I recall watching a cartoon adaptation of Wyrd Sisters in the mid-1990s.  I liked it.

Is the Green Man of folklore related to the Green Knight in the medieval poem Gawain and the Green Knight, does anyone know?

On the iplayer I watched the first series of Malory Towers.  The adaptation was relatively faithful to the Enid Blyton novels though the cast might have been a little more ethnically diverse than the source material.  I didn't mind. I liked the books when I read them - I liked the Angela Brazil books I read also.
Back to top Go down
Green George
Censura
Green George

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptySat 25 Dec 2021, 14:15

Gawain's Green Knight has been tentatively linked with the Green Man but no definitive proof exists, though the New Year settings seem suggestive. The language of the poem is considered (by Tolkien inter alia) to hale from the North West Midlands.
Back to top Go down
Caro
Censura
Caro

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus EmptySun 26 Dec 2021, 04:55

We finished Christmas here almost a day ago, and it is nearly the end of Boxing Day. Or post-Christmas shopping day. Not that we did any shopping: our family were still here and our children from down the road came. I also went for a long drive with my son to collect a friend who had mistaken how long his hike would take and needed picking up. I was expecting to have a coffee out, but had forgotten how early the cafes generally close here - at three o'clock for most, just when you want a cup of coffee.
I also enjoyed Malory Towers, LIR, and remember Darrell and others with some tenderness. I was talking to my 10-year-old grandson, a great reader, and mentioned that the Noddy books were very popular when I was a child and he said, "They still are," which rather surprised me. When his 6 year old brother brought me a Noddy book to read I had forgotten how wordy they are.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Et in terra pax hominibus   Et in terra pax hominibus Empty

Back to top Go down

Et in terra pax hominibus

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: The history of ideas ... :: Religion and superstition-