A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Phoenix & Ashes quiz

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Vizzer
Censura

Phoenix & Ashes quiz - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Phoenix & Ashes quiz   Phoenix & Ashes quiz - Page 2 EmptyThu 25 Apr 2019, 18:21

You got it in the end Trike. Yes - Number 17 is the Tuileries Palace.

LiR - the word 'stave' is indeed key to Clue 21, but the musical reference ends there. As a word, stave can have other meanings away from music.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Phoenix & Ashes quiz   Phoenix & Ashes quiz - Page 2 EmptyThu 25 Apr 2019, 18:46

Vizzer wrote:
LiR - the word 'stave' is indeed key to Clue 21, but the musical reference ends there. As a word, stave can have other meanings away from music.

Yes indeed ... and Scandinavian 'Stave Churches' (ie those entirely made of wood) are well known.

But within the current context, I'm still struggling to recall any that have famously suffered major and/or significant fires ... either of late or in the depths of history.

EDIT

Ah ha .... the Fantoft Stave Church in Norway was destroyed by arson in 1992, one of a series of church attacks in fact, all of which I'll admit I had entirely forgotten.

Phoenix & Ashes quiz - Page 2 220px-Stave-church-Fantoft-3
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: Phoenix & Ashes quiz   Phoenix & Ashes quiz - Page 2 EmptyThu 25 Apr 2019, 20:53

That's the one Meles. I can't decide whether it's a good thing or a bad thing that the stave church burning could be forgotten. Probably a good thing. The Bergen tourist office claims that the rebuilt church is 'exactly as it was before the fire'. Of that, however, I have my doubts.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Phoenix & Ashes quiz   Phoenix & Ashes quiz - Page 2 EmptyFri 26 Apr 2019, 00:46

I'm guessing that the names Bernadette and Harold Clarke Jnr have some significance for no. 16.  Some sleuthing in cyberspace threw up that there are some tennis courts thus named in Cazenovia, New York State, USA.  In 1895 the "Casa Nova" the town's opera house burned down so I wonder if that could be the connection.
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: Phoenix & Ashes quiz   Phoenix & Ashes quiz - Page 2 EmptyFri 26 Apr 2019, 08:35

That's some impressive sleuthing there LiR - and that really could have been an answer for no.16. But in this case the names written on the wall are pure red herrings. 

Rather think more in terms of how many courts there are in the picture.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Phoenix & Ashes quiz   Phoenix & Ashes quiz - Page 2 EmptyFri 26 Apr 2019, 09:03

Vizzer wrote:

Rather think more in terms of how many courts there are in the picture.

Without that clue, I would never have got it, Vizzer.

It's the Four Courts in Dublin, burned down during The Troubles;

Phoenix & Ashes quiz - Page 2 640px-Four_Courts_Conflagration
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Phoenix & Ashes quiz   Phoenix & Ashes quiz - Page 2 EmptyFri 26 Apr 2019, 09:18

I think you're likely right, Trike.  I should have realised that if anything is too obvious then it's not going to be the answer!
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Phoenix & Ashes quiz   Phoenix & Ashes quiz - Page 2 EmptyFri 26 Apr 2019, 19:20

I've lost a post - briefly I thought the phoenix might be a Fenghuang or Chinese phoenix.  There was a bad fire in the Chinese city of Changsha in 1938 though I don't get the reason for the clue (if it does relate to China).

And I've been trying to think who the "singer" was and of course MM had already mentioned that it was comedian Jack Whitehall.
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: Phoenix & Ashes quiz   Phoenix & Ashes quiz - Page 2 EmptyFri 26 Apr 2019, 20:28

The Four Courts is right for Clue 16 Trike.

Just one more to go and fittingly it's The Phoenix itself in Clue 5. It's not Changsha or anywhere else in China LiR. In fact I thought that it would have been one of the easiest to get along with The Globe. The name of the building is almost orthographically identical to the English-language name of the city in which it is located.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Phoenix & Ashes quiz   Phoenix & Ashes quiz - Page 2 EmptyFri 26 Apr 2019, 20:36

Vizzer wrote:
The Phoenix itself in Clue 5. ... The name of the building is almost orthographically identical to the English-language name of the city in which it is located.

Of course. Teatro La Fenice - the Pheonix theatre in Venice - burned down several times and always rebuilt - hence the name. D'oh!
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: Phoenix & Ashes quiz   Phoenix & Ashes quiz - Page 2 EmptyFri 26 Apr 2019, 22:24

Bravo Meles! The exquisite theatre in Venice which has played such a critical role in the history of opera.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Phoenix & Ashes quiz   Phoenix & Ashes quiz - Page 2 EmptyFri 26 Apr 2019, 22:40

Thanks for that Vizzer - very enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Phoenix & Ashes quiz   Phoenix & Ashes quiz - Page 2 EmptySun 28 Apr 2019, 21:05

Belatedly I'll join MM in thanking Vizzer for this quiz. Now I think of it Vizzer had said there was a link between clue no. 5 and the Bellini cocktail so he had given us an inkling that no.5 related to Venice but I quite forgot the hint Vizzer gave.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Phoenix & Ashes quiz   Phoenix & Ashes quiz - Page 2 EmptyMon 29 Apr 2019, 08:47

Thanks Vizzer, that was lots od fun.

Cue for a song;

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Phoenix & Ashes quiz   Phoenix & Ashes quiz - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Phoenix & Ashes quiz

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2