A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Clarissa’s train

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ComicMonster
Consulatus
ComicMonster

Clarissa’s train Empty
PostSubject: Clarissa’s train   Clarissa’s train EmptyWed 22 May 2019, 08:07

Hello! I have a new difficulty, but this time it's neither linguistic nor historic —just locutionary I'd say…

This is the sentence:

"The evening before he went, the Queen and Prince Philip came to dinner at No. 10, an unprecedented honour for a prime minister. Randolph got drunk and the Duchess of Westminster put her foot through Clarissa’s train – ‘That’s torn it, in more than one sense,’ joked the Duke of Edinburgh – but otherwise it was a great succes"

Clarissa is the daughter, still alive, of Jack Churchill, and therefore Winston's niece. She was born in June 1920, and we are the 4th April 1955, so she's about to be 35. What's that "train" then? I can only think of a toy train… But what the heck could a little model train be doing in a dinner with the Churchills, the Queen and Prince Philip? Could it be another sort of train? I just have no clue. And then, why has it got torn, in more than one sense? OK it's been trampled upon, so what? There must be some tacit implications I am regrettably not subtle enough to see here. Shocked

Thanks a lot for your help, really.

CM
Back to top Go down
https://vueltaalmundo.es.tl
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

Clarissa’s train Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clarissa’s train   Clarissa’s train EmptyWed 22 May 2019, 08:15

Clarissa’s train Leedelmandress_l

Before the advent of Burger King this is how women dined after 7pm ...
The train is the protruding chiffon bit in this case, but other materials were available.
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
ComicMonster
Consulatus
ComicMonster

Clarissa’s train Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clarissa’s train   Clarissa’s train EmptyWed 22 May 2019, 08:43

WOW! Absolutely unthinkable!

But then, the "in more than one sense" part becomes a disturbingly rude remark: if the chiffon has been torn, what else has? My mediterranean blood leads me inmediately to the bosom of the lady just below, but what a joke then! "Milady: your chiffon is fripé…".

On second thoughts I tend to believe that "put her foot through Clarissa’s train" doesn't mean the duchess has walked on it… that would mean a rather disgusting alcoholic crawling of some sort…, but that she introduced it through, in between her precious twin sisters, as an act of uninhibited pleasantry. Then it might be considered "torn" in the proper sense (that is froissé) and in the figured one of… reprehensible?

I am still guessing…
Back to top Go down
ComicMonster
Consulatus
ComicMonster

Clarissa’s train Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clarissa’s train   Clarissa’s train EmptyWed 22 May 2019, 09:08

Perhaps it is that the "train" is not always a sewed attirail of a dress, it might be movable, or very long, down to the floor, so that someone can put his/her foot through it.

Then "torn" would mean "in a state of uncertainty between two conflicting options or parties" (Oxford Dictionary), which is exactly the state of mind Churchill has at that moment, torn between his desire of staying as PM and the pressures that compel him to resign.

This time I think I've got it right.

Sorry for my erratic suppositions…

And thanks for your help.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

Clarissa’s train Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clarissa’s train   Clarissa’s train EmptyWed 22 May 2019, 09:10

"That's torn it" is a common expression used to express dismay when something unfortunate happens. Hence the "in more than one sense" because by accidentally stepping on the train as it trailed on floor, it probably did get torn/ripped.

Last edited by Meles meles on Wed 22 May 2019, 09:15; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ComicMonster
Consulatus
ComicMonster

Clarissa’s train Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clarissa’s train   Clarissa’s train EmptyWed 22 May 2019, 09:14

I see. So "That's torn it" would be something like the French "Quelle maladresse!", isn't it? —or the rudder "We have screwed it up".

That explains it all…

Gosh, what a sentence…

Thanks Meles meles Smile
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

Clarissa’s train Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clarissa’s train   Clarissa’s train EmptyWed 22 May 2019, 09:16

ComicMonster wrote:
I see. So "That's torn it" would be something like the French "Quelle maladresse!", 

Exactement.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

Clarissa’s train Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clarissa’s train   Clarissa’s train EmptyWed 22 May 2019, 09:27

"That's torn it!" is a euphemism for when something has disrupted or destroyed an otherwise smooth and anticipated procedure, which in turn leads to an outcome other than that which had been planned or expected. This is especially true when the new outcome is the exact opposite to the one planned, like for example when a group assembles socially consisting of people with diametrically opposed views but who, for politeness own sake, avoid discussion or reference to that which divides them. If, accidentally or intentionally, one person then passes a remark which triggers vocal disagreement about the subject everyone had been avoiding and all hell breaks loose, then any disinterested observer or participant could quite legitimately comment on this turn in events "well, that's torn it!". Even better if they get to pass the remark immediately after the social faux-pas and just before the whole polite facade disintegrates - it's a comment with most impact if it predicts the mayhem just before that mayhem ensues.

In the case you cite from the book therefore the remark is actually quite funny as it is apposite in the above sense, but also it literally describes the faux-pas that occurred - someone treading on another's train and causing it be torn. A train, by definition, trails along the floor. Fashion as a concept concerning clothes has always defeated me and I do not pretend to understand it, but for many years women seem to have regarded being involuntary floor sweepers as an expensive and eminently "haute" expression of "couture" when it comes to their clothing - brides on their wedding day even still subscribe to the notion that the church in which they sign away their freedom should also have its floor cleaned at great personal expense to themselves. Note Diana Spencer's two huge mistakes below from the early 1980s, one extremely visible with regard to trains ...

Clarissa’s train Lady-diana-spencer-and-prince-charles-take-their-vows-at-the-high-altar-at-st-paul-s-cathedral-in-london-england-on-29-jul-1981-760x506

So, back in 1955, Phil the Greek was actually being very funny when he correctly remarked that someone accidentally causing damage to one of these monstrosities by stepping on it (an incredibly easy faux-pas to execute, given that one generally does not expect elements of a person to be still in transit five minutes after the principal body has already traversed one's space) has, quite literally, "torn it" in both obvious interpretations of the expression.

EDIT: I see the conversation has moved on while I was composing this - but I'll post it anyway as I find the late Diana Spencer as a slug a very humorous image, on so many levels that it hurts.
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
ComicMonster
Consulatus
ComicMonster

Clarissa’s train Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clarissa’s train   Clarissa’s train EmptyWed 22 May 2019, 09:34

Hi nordmann!
Again, I find your posts great! Absolutely.
I find delicious the anecdote of the faux pas in the wedding. It explains and entertains…

Thanks a lot.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

Clarissa’s train Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clarissa’s train   Clarissa’s train EmptyWed 22 May 2019, 10:52

Talking of slugs ... this biography of Churchill that you're translating, CM, it's not the one by Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson - government chief clown and possibly soon to be Her Majesty's Prime Minister -  is it?
Back to top Go down
ComicMonster
Consulatus
ComicMonster

Clarissa’s train Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clarissa’s train   Clarissa’s train EmptyWed 22 May 2019, 10:55

Nop. It's the one by Andrew Roberts, Churchill. Walking with Destiny, in 1151 full pages.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

Clarissa’s train Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clarissa’s train   Clarissa’s train EmptyWed 22 May 2019, 10:59

Ha, Boris only managed 432 pages, and Roberts' book does seem to have received much better reviews.
Back to top Go down
ComicMonster
Consulatus
ComicMonster

Clarissa’s train Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clarissa’s train   Clarissa’s train EmptyWed 22 May 2019, 11:09

Yes. When it was proposed to me as a translation, the publishing house sold it as "the" biography of Winston Churchill.
It's indeed an extremely detailed book. I have the impression of Winston being almost a member of the family, having seen him fight, cry, love and rule.
I wish you could read it Spanish, just for the fancy. study
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

Clarissa’s train Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clarissa’s train   Clarissa’s train EmptyThu 23 May 2019, 09:16

When I read the title of this thread I did think of a child's toy train set (there's no reason why girls shouldn't have them as well as boys).  The 'train' as in an appendage to a posh dress does seem the most likely explanation here though, I think people are right.  In my (rudimentary) learning of British Sign Language 'train' was a word which came up - in that there was 'train' like the locomotive pulling carriages or trucks, the 'train' of material on the ground behind a posh frock and of course 'train' meaning to impart or acquire a skill set or subjects; "I went to X---- College to train to be a secretary" - "Mrs Y used to train me in shorthand".  Though of course the third meaning of 'train' is obviously not in play in the example ComicMonster used.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

Clarissa’s train Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clarissa’s train   Clarissa’s train EmptyThu 23 May 2019, 10:58

A train is not necessarily solely an item of female dress. The full regalia of many University Chancellors, Lord Chief Justices, the Lord Chancellor, the Lord Mayor of London etc, also includes a train attached to their 'over-mantle' gown. Similarly the cappa magna (great cape) is part of the ceremonial attire of cardinals and bishops.

Here, for example he's John Bercow, the House of Commons Speaker, in full ceremonial garb with his train carried by a page/usher who I think would be one of the Associate Sergeants reporting to the Commons' Sergeant-at-Arms; himself in full court dress, with lace collar and cuffs, white gloves, knee-breeches, silk stockings, buckled court-shoes and armed with a sword:

Clarissa’s train Bercow-train

And MPs wonder why they get accused of being out of touch with ordinary people ....  Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Clarissa’s train Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clarissa’s train   Clarissa’s train Empty

Back to top Go down

Clarissa’s train

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1