A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

History: As Seen On TV!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

history - History: As Seen On TV!!! Empty
PostSubject: History: As Seen On TV!!!   history - History: As Seen On TV!!! EmptyWed 07 Aug 2019, 18:24

Exhausted and watching anything that moved after grandsons' long and extended stay, (Because its fun here....?) a recorded episode of 'The Outlander' came on screen during which prisoners remaining after Culloden where taken off to work in American colonies.  Did that really happen?  Send no links as I never use them - boooring….unless -provided by local butcher. I tend to doubt much TV history yet    have things quoted to me as being fact from viewers who have faith in it. And I have tweaked  a bit myself in written fiction where no certainty is recorded. Is this a naughty?
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Triumviratus Rei Publicae Constituendae
Nielsen

PostSubject: Re: History: As Seen On TV!!!   history - History: As Seen On TV!!! EmptyThu 08 Aug 2019, 11:40

In brief, Priscilla, yes it did happen.

It happened quite a bit following various rebellions in England and Britain and the Civil Wars in the mid C17.

R L Stevenson's tale, 'Kidnapped' is one example, and Dudley Pope gives other descriptions in his fictional Yorke-series.

An article may be found in wiki, titled Indentured servitude, this deals mostly with what the English/British did.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: History: As Seen On TV!!!   history - History: As Seen On TV!!! EmptySat 10 Aug 2019, 21:24

Nielsen wrote:
In brief, Priscilla, yes it did happen.

It happened quite a bit following various rebellions in England and Britain and the Civil Wars in the mid C17.

R L Stevenson's tale, 'Kidnapped' is one example, and Dudley Pope gives other descriptions in his fictional Yorke-series.

An article may be found in wiki, titled Indentured servitude, this deals mostly with what the English/British did.

Nielsen,

I am not that good in English history (only when English history was connected with continental one (and to be honest that was most of the time) and more in the continental one, so for enlightenment I had to seek it all on the internet and then "sieve" (zeven) the honest ones from the balderdash. You seem there in the Northern European Denmark to have quite a grasp of that "Island" history?

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Triumviratus Rei Publicae Constituendae
Nielsen

PostSubject: Re: History: As Seen On TV!!!   history - History: As Seen On TV!!! EmptyMon 12 Aug 2019, 14:31

Thank you Paul, well back in the day when I was taught history in schools much was still 'hinged' on the reigns and names of various kings, and how their inter-marriages interfered with politics and diplomacy then, this has to some extent remained with me.

More than one Scottish king married a  Danish/Norwegian king's daughter or sister, this was how the Hebrides became Scottish - a pawn for a dowry - that was never paid. 
King Christian II of Denmark was married to a sister of HRE Charles V, Isabella of Austria, and her Catholicism in a country becoming moe and more Protestant was a part - imo - of the reasons for the deposition of Christian II in 1523, and her escape with their children to the Netherlands and the HRE.  
Or James VI of Scotland and I of England who married Anne, the sister of Christian IV of Denmark-Norway who became the parents of Charles I who was beheaded den 1648/49.

Kind regards to you too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: History: As Seen On TV!!!   history - History: As Seen On TV!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

History: As Seen On TV!!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1