A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Keep Calm and Sing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptySat 28 Mar 2020, 09:29

The one-time international footballer, and now Liberian president George Weah, has gone all spiritual and Rasta about it. I actually like this!

He made the recording in the studio he built "to alleviate problems for Liberian recording artists", which just happens to be attached to his presidential residence Smile

Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptySat 28 Mar 2020, 09:42

Stephen King posted this picture on twitter:

Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EUJKhXsXYAE5j4D

back in the 70s King wrote a novel entitled The Stand

wiki re the planned mini-series:
The Stand is described as "King's apocalyptic vision of a world decimated by plague and embroiled in an elemental struggle between good and evil. The fate of mankind rests on the frail shoulders of the 108-year-old Mother Abigail and a handful of survivors. Their worst nightmares are embodied in a man with a lethal smile and unspeakable powers: Randall Flagg, the Dark Man."

Last edited by Triceratops on Sat 28 Mar 2020, 09:48; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptySat 28 Mar 2020, 09:45

We all have way too much time on our hands (clean, I hope) these days.

This is what a guy called Chris Mann has done ...

Back to top Go down
Green George
Consulatus
Green George

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptySat 28 Mar 2020, 10:02

Wonder if he was inspired by this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hxLaFJf9J
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptySat 28 Mar 2020, 11:22

Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EUMDq6UWoAA1Yse
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptyMon 30 Mar 2020, 11:06

M&S now operating foodhall only, and the delicatessen section in there is closed, no Waldorf salad today.

There is plenty of food, so that's me stocked for this week.

This is from 4 years ago:

Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptyMon 30 Mar 2020, 11:28

I mustn't go out for another four days for anything at all, but I am so looking forward - when my quarantine is over - to going to M&S Food Hall. I long for broccoli.

God willing, I shall go to the Aged Persons' Corona Hour on Thursday morning to stock up.

Was there any fresh bread, Trike?
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptyMon 30 Mar 2020, 11:35

I never went to  the bakery,Temp,(got my bread & milk in Sainsburys, yes I was outside twice today!!!) but there was plenty of other stuff.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptyMon 30 Mar 2020, 12:00

Read this at the weekend, self same edition as well:

Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 51FZ5NakD1L._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptyTue 31 Mar 2020, 10:09

Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EUbD7dmXYAAIZCd?format=jpg&name=medium
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptyTue 31 Mar 2020, 10:20

Larry could well be the No.10 super-spreader. I'll bet that while the Cabinet and Downing Street staff all carefully avoid shaking hands with each other, they still happily stroke Larry. Of course he might well be encouraging this as part of his cunning plan to take over the UK!
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptyTue 31 Mar 2020, 12:19

Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EUZEZW9WkAADQL6
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptyTue 31 Mar 2020, 12:48

Goats roaming the streets of Llandudno:

Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 Stream_img

Llandudno Lockdown
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptySat 04 Apr 2020, 11:26

I am cross, not calm. I've been isolated for nearly a fortnight now and, although I am allowed out on Monday, am wondering whether it is irresponsible of me to go to M&S Food Hall when that happy day eventually dawns. I don't really need any food, as I have lots of tinned and dried food - plus lots of tea bags and longlife milk - but I am longing for fresh fruit and veg - and, if I am honest, a trip out to Barnstaple. It's a bit like in the old days when folk around here went to that town about twice a year - a major highlight in their lives. I mentioned to an acquaintance (who phoned me this morning) that, despite my yearnings for a reckless food-buying jaunt, I may stay away from shops, even M&S, for at least another month. She very impatiently told me I was being as usual "a bit over the top". She is nine years younger than I, and, using what may be described as a charitable euphemism, is of the hardy - or rather herdy - persuasion. She believes herd immunity is the only answer to CV, and that I am showing myself - apparently as usual -  as the wimp I truly am. Grrrr. I am reminded of Rita in "Educating Rita" who, having noted that all her friends had given up smoking, added scathingly: "Cowards!" 

I am brooding badly on this tetchy conversation. Am I a wimp, I ask myself, or just a responsible person? I shall settle for being a responsible wimp.

Last edited by Temperance on Sun 05 Apr 2020, 10:03; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptySat 04 Apr 2020, 12:20

Temperance,

I think I am a "wimp" too. Had first to look at the word: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/wimp

But sense of reality has also its good sides.

I am, with a donor kidney and taking immune system decreasing pills to avoid repulsion of the kidney (although after three years in a low dose) and as such less resistant to germs and being responsible for a handicapped partner and now already 3 weeks in quarantine, perhaps the person to have to be cautious. Up to now not been to the supermarket. And the grandson Phd human bioochemistry says better not to do...

But perhaps if you have a "mouth mask?" (mondmasker) and some plastic gloves...and after your visit put the gloves in the dustbin and wash your hands...
The brother-in-law says when visiting the supermarket he keeps a distance of 2 meter (yards) and stays as short as possible in the market...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptySat 04 Apr 2020, 19:13

@PaulRyckier wrote:
Temperance,

I think I am a "wimp" too...

...I am, with a donor kidney and taking immune system decreasing pills to avoid repulsion of the kidney (although after three years in a low dose) and as such less resistant to germs and being responsible for a handicapped partner and now already 3 weeks in quarantine, perhaps the person to have to be cautious. Up to now not been to the supermarket. And the grandson Phd human bioochemistry says better not to do...

You are hardly a "wimp", Paul; anyone on medication which suppresses the immune system would be crazy to take any risks with this virus. You - and any other poster here who has, or has had, serious health problems - must take every precaution.

I, however, am a bit of a fraud, and possibly my acquaintance was correct in saying I was being "over the top" by not going shopping. I have no health issues I know of (touch wood), walk three miles through the village and back every day, and have not even had a cold, let alone the 'flu, this winter. I am very fortunate. Thing is, one can be perfectly OK, but be spreading the germ right, left and centre without realising it. So we all have to be sensible wimps in my opinion.

It's been an absolutely glorious spring evening here - just come back from my (permitted exercise) walk. April looks fair set to be the cruellest month...
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptySat 04 Apr 2020, 19:35

Thanks for your immediate reply, Temperance, and the update about your circumstances. Glad to hear about your health and yes you can be I think a carrier of the virus without knowing it.
They are testing here now at ratio of 20,000 a day (because they have no more tests for the moment), but first and for all (that's quite normal) for the personel of the hospitals. Later come the inhabitants of the "rest homes?" (rusthuizen). Belgium some 10/11 million inhabitants.

I hope with this splendid weather that you have a bit of a garden...but yes your daily stroll is as good...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptySat 04 Apr 2020, 19:42

I have quite a large and usually unruly garden: however, I ran out of weeds sometime last week. I am impatiently waiting for the next lot to grow so I can root them out! This is unheard of in our times - never thought I would be desperate for more weeds!
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptySat 04 Apr 2020, 23:17

I can offer some  Pick your Own - and at a reasonable discount. I'll give you space and watch from my sunbed within the conservatory if that helps. If you take 3 car loads pf weeds you will get one FREEEEE.

No more than 3 at a time, of course. Hurry be first in the queue.... this may encourage others who will queue for anything going.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptySun 05 Apr 2020, 08:43

This made me smile, The Guardian -  'If you've no room for sheep, get yourself some hens.' And other useful virus tips

... With classic plague literature now fairly thoroughly mined for instructive similarities with our current predicament – official cover-ups, forced isolation, mad clerics, makeshift burials, heavy-handed policing etc – perhaps it is time to turn to some of the differences. One of the major ones being, of course, the earlier absence of influencers.

As terrifying as it would have been for anyone stuck in the London described by Defoe or inside Camus’s Oran, these imprisoned citizens were, at least, spared survival tips dreamed up in the remote homes and gardens of fund managers, celebrity chefs, professional tidier-uppers, titled brand ambassadors, “tablescaping” experts. You might be banged up, scared and brooding on things left undone and unsaid, in 1665, but at least nobody thought this was the perfect time to inform you that “this period of self-isolation is a good chance to experiment with more decadent table settings”. Yes, even if you are alone, mid-virus. “At a moment like this,” the same connoisseur continues, “quirky tableware is particularly uplifting.”
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Triumviratus Rei Publicae Constituendae
Nielsen

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptySun 05 Apr 2020, 09:05

Thank you for these 'quirky tableware' tips Mm this made me laugh.

Among other things pleasing to my mind is that when out on the street in order to buy the necessaries there is - dare I use the word? - an almost blessed absense of 'facers'!
Even in the relatively small towns were I usually do my shopping, such facers have been rather pushy in their un-holy attempts to sell phones, memberships to this and that worthy - or un-worthy - group or organisation.
When accosted, even if I haven't - yet - gone to the push-off words like 'p. off' or the like, a quiet question as to whether the facer himself was a member of the organisation or an employed agent would turn most of,

Edit for spellings

Last edited by Nielsen on Sun 05 Apr 2020, 13:48; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptySun 05 Apr 2020, 10:01

Excellent article, MM - thank you!

As I reach out to you from my  charming home in Devon (sorry), be assured I have put on my make-up, done my hair, and that I am confident that my jewel-coloured poloneck with a statement necklace is just right for my next Zoom conference.

PS Love the tip from Samuel P. about there being no better time to sort out one's "old wigs".  Smile
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptySun 05 Apr 2020, 10:17

@Nielsen wrote:
Among other things pleasing to my mind is that when out on the street in order to buy the necessaries there is - dare I use the word? - an almost blessed absensce of 'facers'!
Even in the relatively small towns were I usually do my shopping, such facers have been rather pushy in their un-holy attempts to sell phones, memberships to this and that worthy - or un-worthy - group or organisation.
When accosted, even if I haven't - yet - gone to the push-off words like 'p. off' or the like, a quiet question as to whether the facer himself was a member of the organisation or an employed agent would turn most of,

Niels, yes "facers"...

I think that you mean by this: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/facer

The annoying person, who try to encounter you to sell some unnecessary stuff?
 (are those from the TV that different? one needs a taperecorded program, to speed it up and be quickly over (zap?) and get rid of it)

In our recent fortnight on Tenerife, they were a real annoyance. And when I said in our local, rather rude, dialect from our Belgian region: "kust mijn kloten" (kiss my balls) and after that "no, no", my partner was shocked...and I: they don't understand that...
But indeed, you never know...even they had learned already: посмотри́ 
(in Dutch pronunciation (other than in English or Danish) "pasmatrie" "looky, looky"

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Triumviratus Rei Publicae Constituendae
Nielsen

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptySun 05 Apr 2020, 11:14

We quite agree, Paul.

Kind regards to you, too.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptySun 05 Apr 2020, 13:32

I believe in the UK they're calling them "chuggers" (as in "charity muggers"). In Oslo I've heard "tann-ranere" (literally "tooth thieves" because they empty your pockets while smiling at you a lot). I'm sure in each culture these are just the milder expressions in use.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptySun 05 Apr 2020, 14:01

@nordmann wrote:
I believe in the UK they're calling them "chuggers" (as in "charity muggers"). In Oslo I've heard "tann-ranere" (literally "tooth thieves" because they empty your pockets while smiling at you a lot). I'm sure in each culture these are just the milder expressions in use.

nordmann,

I am a bit confused now. I thought that Niels described the annoying person, who tries to meet you to sell some unnecessary stuff?
But now you start with "tann-ranere" because they empty your pockets while smiling at you a lot.
I think overhere we call that pickpockets?

No the "facers" that I described were more, I don't say extreme honest guys, but "ambulant vendors" and they don' t steal, nor empty the pockets of the customers (at least of what I have seen of them)...

A bit like as in "Only foold and horses", a series that we watch recently on the channel of BBC Entertainment. A channel that we have on our cable television with continuously Dutch subtitles.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081912/

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptySun 05 Apr 2020, 15:11

As the 3rd Earl Russell, when asked if the "denoting phrase" that he described in a famous 1905 essay must always, semantically speaking, constitute the grammatical subject of a sentence if it is to be literally understood, rather infamously replied; "Bugger (actual expletive deleted) literalists!".

I think Del Boy would have understood his frustration. I'm sure Oslo inhabitants do!
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptySun 05 Apr 2020, 16:15

@Temperance wrote:
I am cross, not calm. I've been isolated for nearly a fortnight now and, although I am allowed out on Monday, am wondering whether it is irresponsible of me to go to M&S Food Hall when that happy day eventually dawns. I don't really need any food, as I have lots of tinned and dried food - plus lots of tea bags and longlife milk - but I am longing for fresh fruit and veg - and, if I am honest, a trip out to Barnstaple.

Cadbury 110g bars are £1 in ASDA, £1.50p in the Co-op plus it is Easter Weekend next week, a time of hot cross buns and chocolate eggs.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptySun 05 Apr 2020, 16:31

"Get thee behind me, Satan!"   Smile

I'm not going out tomorrow - I don't need Fruit and Nut, or anything really, so I must resist the terrible temptation to drive over to Barnstaple.  But I do so long for M&S Food Hall. I shall never take it for granted ever again. A bag of broccoli and fresh blueberries are suddenly the most desirable things ever. But supermarkets must be the most dangerous places on the planet these days...

The Police have been shouting at people here: "Stay away from that Creme Egg!"
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptySun 05 Apr 2020, 17:16

Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptyMon 06 Apr 2020, 09:55

Coronavirus has made a species jump:

Bronx Zoo Tiger has Covid-19
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptyMon 06 Apr 2020, 10:36

@Triceratops wrote:
Coronavirus has made a species jump:

Bronx Zoo Tiger has Covid-19

As a cat in Belgium, Trike, and some pets in Hong Kong...but all sources say it is not dangerous for spread to humans up to now...
https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/03/31/world/asia/31reuters-health-coronavirus-hongkong-pets.html
Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptyMon 06 Apr 2020, 10:49

I just saw on a Belgian TV teletext message, that they made a laboratory for testing Covid 19 of a tiny Italian village near Rome. Since the outbreak the village is completely isolated from the outer world and the inhabitants as isolated from each other as possible...and everybody (of the 1,700 inhabitants is tested on the virus and btw the female "bourgmestre" of the town is a pharmacist.
The first results say that the deaths are less than in the surrounding villages and that early confinement (lockdown) proves effective, as the fact of early knowing, who the infected are. And that was what the scientists said up to now...

The latest data are not yet indicated but I found checking this on BBC World:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-52159316/coronavirus-quarantined-italian-village-turned-into-human-laboratory

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptyMon 06 Apr 2020, 10:57

Due to internet rumours, two 5G masts have been burnt down:

5G Towers
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptyMon 06 Apr 2020, 15:07

More than a club??

Guardian article on Liverpool FC's decision to furlough non playing staff:

What would Shankly do?
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptyMon 06 Apr 2020, 15:33

104 year old Italian grandmother who survived the Spanish Flu, survives attack of coronavirus:

Ada Vanusso
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptyFri 10 Apr 2020, 08:33

Half expecting this to appear:

Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptyFri 10 Apr 2020, 08:36

Caro, New Zealand seems to be coping with Covid-19 far better than most:

NZ Coronavirus
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptyFri 10 Apr 2020, 11:29

Triceratops,

I don't want to answer instead of Caro, but if you look at this site from the BBC, that I daily look at, you can learn in my humble opinion a lot from it.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-51235105

Some personal! first conclusions...of course there will be developed studies afterwards or they are already going on...

If you see the first picture the worldmap: it is nearly a band of the "developed" world. Of course it are the absolute data of the cases and not procents of the population per country...and not in what stadium of the pandemy they are for the moment...but in my opinion one sees already two exceptions (I don't trust the data of China, therefore I don't include), South Korea and Japan...why: because they have reacted quickly with lock down and other measurements...and perhaps a less "indiviual" culture than in the "West"?...

And why in the developed world, while there there is a lot more continuous travel within that world and therefore a lot more possible contacts of contaminated individuals?

And I have also the impression that the quality of the health system is important, as one sees for instance Germany and France:
From the BBC tabel:
Spain: cases  153,222 deaths 15,447
Italy:             143,626           18,279
Germany:       118,235            2,607
France:            86,334           12,210
Spain and Italy are already over the "peak?" (Dutch: piek) and France and Germany are following, including Switzerland. And you see: Germany death ratio: roughly: 1 to 45, France: 1 to 7

As said, I don't want to speak in Caro's place, but my estimation is the island structure, the early tackling of the peak? The more spread population in the area??? For that I ask Caro...

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptyFri 10 Apr 2020, 12:29

New York State now has more cases than any other country (apart from the US obvs)

Trenches dug on Hart Island in the borough of the Bronx to cope with Covid-19 burials:

Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 37858cad41661b20a8fb87b296ee7bc9917c671f
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptyFri 10 Apr 2020, 13:51

I saw this news report and was a little suspicious about the description of "Covid-19 burials", as well as the inference that this "mass grave" was an unusual occurrence. 

Hart Island in the Bronx accommodates interment of unclaimed corpses in the state, and it is not unusual for these to be conducted in batches. A drone over the island during any typical winter or high summer period would certainly catch a very similar picture on a day when this is being done by the contractors, and even in the current circumstances the number of unidentified or unclaimed corpses would not be significantly higher than at these times of high mortality. This may well change in the next few weeks - and the report does say that the frequency of interment will be upped from once a week to five days a week - but at the moment what the camera has caught is not that unusual.

So on two counts the "report" is suspect, in my view. Firstly the image - sad and shocking as it may be for people unaware of this practice or the need for it - does not actually show anything that out of the ordinary for New York. Secondly it does not - as the report insinuated - necessarily show victims of Covid-19 being buried. Some undoubtedly are such victims, but what is actually being shown is evidence that the state is preferring to expedite use of the facility rather than clutter up morgues with unidentified corpses in anticipation of a peak in demand for these over the coming weeks. This is why the NYC Health Department has also said that these are "temporary" interments. If and when identification is achieved then they will be re-interred, the difference being that they will have been retrieved from Hart Island rather than cold storage on the mainland.

This was disingenuous reportage, in other words, and the various news media that "ran with" this story today without obviously conducting even the most basic inquiry into the details behind it have placed more importance on a sensationalist slant that earns them "revenue clicks" than on journalistic accuracy.

In a few weeks a drone may indeed capture a far more sobering and tragic image in the same location, but this is not it.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptyFri 10 Apr 2020, 17:21

I first noticed this report this morning on the BBC red button service*. Going by the figures in the latest BBC report there is definitely a major increase in the number of burials on Hart Island, from an average of 25 per week in normal circumstances to 40 on Thursday the 9th alone.

What struck me about the footage was the similarity to the scenes I'd watched in the film Contagion, Life imitating Art.

*They were going to stop this at the end of January 2020, but public pressure has kept it going.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptyFri 10 Apr 2020, 17:52

@Triceratops wrote:

...  a major increase in the number of burials on Hart Island, from an average of 25 per week in normal circumstances to 40 on Thursday the 9th alone.

In February 2018, according to the NYC Health & Hygiene Dept, one week alone saw 28,000 people die in New York (it was a particularly cold week and a rather virulent flu was on the loose). Over 300 of these ended up on Hart Island. Most of those would have been kept on ice in morgues around the city and then buried in one contracted operation. A drone hovering over the area that week would have seen a much more potentially alarming site than the one that the media reported today.

What the Dept, who also run this facility, have obviously decided to do in the current epidemic is to limit time in cold storage in the city's morgues in anticipation of a huge demand for their space, which means the unclaimed corpses will now need to be buried more immediately and with greater frequency than normal. So Covid-19 has led to an increase in use of Hart Island, but that is not the same as saying that all those being buried there are Covid-19 victims. The report was very misleading in that respect, and I suspect it was intentionally so - either to frighten people into better observing the restrictions in place at the moment, or worse, to generate click-bait. One reason is of dubious transparency, the other of dubious morality, and a good news editor would have made it a point of principle to report on this too.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptyFri 10 Apr 2020, 19:07

They (the BBC) have just repeated the report on the 6 o'clock news. Comes to something when you can no longer trust the Beeb.

Anyway how is Norway getting on with covid?? Better than us probably.

Time for Raiders of the Lost Ark
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptySat 11 Apr 2020, 14:45

Lazy journalism has become the norm. In recent years the BBC has become as guilty as anyone in that respect.

Hard to know here in Norway where we're at with this thing. Until the antibody tests are rolled out nationally (they're talking about in two weeks time) then everything is still on hold. People are behaving pretty well still and the health service hasn't as yet run short of stuff. So in that sense I suppose things are better than in the UK.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptySat 11 Apr 2020, 15:15

Nord, it's the 11th April today, I take it your own personal quarantine is now complete.

To all our members, Take Care and Keep Well.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptySun 12 Apr 2020, 09:39

Nope, Trike. Too many symptoms still, and quarantine has to go on for a week even after the last one has disappeared. Given my propensity to catch colds at the best of times I'm not sure I'll ever see daylight again.

I have my own "personal sykepleier" (sickness taker carer of - ie. nurse) now - a young lad in Tromsø, I believe, who sends me very affable inquiries after my health through a phone app five times a day, to which I can only respond with numbers and "yes or no" answers. I suspect he's a robot, though with some Norwegians this is hard to know even face to face. His name is Odd, which isn't entirely encouraging either.

Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptySun 12 Apr 2020, 13:14

Not the news I was expecting, I thought everything would be OK by now.

It will turn out all right. Sure it will.

Odd Grenland, now Odd BK, would turn up on the coupons occasionally, when the pools companies included the Norwegian League in their summertime competitions.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptySun 12 Apr 2020, 13:59

Triceratops and nordmann,

here the last week  in Belgium and especially in the Flemish region, there is a lot of turmoil about the residential care centers (in the Flemish region alone some 800 and some with more than 200 beds? rooms?).
And even confusion about the deaths overthere. Are they due to Corona virus or to other diseases or to both?

They say officially that in the other countries they are not added to the confirmed deaths and thus I am not sure if the list that I see every day is comparable?  https://www.bbc.com/news/world-51235105

About the confusion:
Nursing homes half Belgian's deaths
And here:
https://www.info-coronavirus.be/en/news/tests-residential-care-centres/

My question: How is the situation in the UK and in Norway? And are the suspected Corona deaths in the residential care centers added to the official number in the hospitals? And I am nearly sure that they were not added in the China outbreak.

And yes one has also the psychiatric centers...

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptySun 12 Apr 2020, 14:05

As far as I can gather Paul, the officially announced deaths in the UK are hospital deaths only and do not include care home or deaths elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 EmptySun 12 Apr 2020, 14:27

Meles, is the French Government providing support for the Tourist industry??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Keep Calm and Sing   Keep Calm and Sing - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Keep Calm and Sing

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: The history of people ... :: Health, medicine and care-