A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Without Margaret of Anjou no Wars of the Roses

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

Without Margaret of Anjou no Wars of the Roses Empty
PostSubject: Without Margaret of Anjou no Wars of the Roses   Without Margaret of Anjou no Wars of the Roses EmptyTue 19 May 2020, 23:11

As I suppose the English speaking world will know more about the subject than someone from over the Channel as I.
I know mostly the history of France connected with the Dukes of Burgundy and by that to the history of the Low Countries.

There seems to be a discussion, as Margaret was wearing the throusers for her husband, that it was she, who in fact, was the uncompromising one with the York party and by that was the cause of the wars of the Roses?

And, as at the end of Hundred Years War the English and French kingdoms were still interconnected, a Louis XI, nicknamed: "L'araignée" (the spider) because of his intense diplomatic activity serving his policies, played even a role on the background.

I read about the War of the Roses in the novel from Helen Castor about the Paston Letters:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blood-Roses-Helen-Castor/dp/0571216714

What I read there and it surprized me, that relatively small! armies even commanded by a king were involved in decision making battles. I was waiting for numbers of 20,000 to 50,000...?

And I read today that even a Shakespeare gave her a role on the foreground in his plays.
Back to top Go down

Without Margaret of Anjou no Wars of the Roses

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1