A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

P.G.Wodehouse

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

P.G.Wodehouse Empty
PostSubject: P.G.Wodehouse   P.G.Wodehouse EmptyFri 26 Jun 2020, 22:53

An all time favourite of mine. During my youth I read many of his novels in pocket books in Dutch translation. 

But I learned today for the first time that he had a "German" past...
Watching for the moment:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2735760/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/aug/26/pg-wodehouse-denied-collaborator

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Green George
Censura
Green George

P.G.Wodehouse Empty
PostSubject: Re: P.G.Wodehouse   P.G.Wodehouse EmptySat 27 Jun 2020, 11:41

I'd say he was naive rather than committed to the German cause in any way. He felt there was no military value in his talks.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

P.G.Wodehouse Empty
PostSubject: Re: P.G.Wodehouse   P.G.Wodehouse EmptySat 27 Jun 2020, 19:25

Green George wrote:
I'd say he was naive rather than committed to the German cause in any way. He felt there was no military value in his talks.

Yes Gil, from what I read on the sites, he comes over as a bit "wereldvreemd" (they translate by: out of thouch with the reality). I mean here with that: out of touch with the reality of the thinking of the common man in the street...
I was also a bit that way before I entered the vacation jobs and later living daily in a big factory...

But after some thinking: your "naive" is perhaps a better term. We had also such naive persons in our factory, even highly intelligent and with a big diploma...(not your diploma of course...how was it again..."een ezel stoot zich geen tweemaal aan dezelfde steen" (a donkey doesn't hit the same stone twice) (they translate by: once bitten, twice shy)...

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

P.G.Wodehouse Empty
PostSubject: Re: P.G.Wodehouse   P.G.Wodehouse EmptySat 27 Jun 2020, 22:59

Gil, I have now seen the whole film. Seen is perhaps to great a word, because nearing the end I have speeded up whole chunks of the film, after a gradual growing "énervement" (irritation?)...
Stereotyping and all that, a lot of stupid scenes and unbelievable situations, that could never have been happened in reality...

I first thought to blame the BBC, but see now that it is from I don't know whom...
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2735760/
Director:
Tim Fywell
Writer:
 Nigel Williams
Stars:
 Tim Pigott-SmithZoë WanamakerCurran McKay | See full cast & crew »

I saw it on BBC entertainment and I see that the BBC have it also on BBC Four...

Yes I saw some better American cowboy films...
Perhaps I am grown to harsh (the French "exigent" seems also to exist in English) during the years and not content anymore with the low level entertainment...
Or is this a new generation of entertainment to which I am not adapted yet...

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

P.G.Wodehouse Empty
PostSubject: Re: P.G.Wodehouse   P.G.Wodehouse EmptySat 27 Jun 2020, 23:06

Green George wrote:

Agreed. One also needs to question just how effective enemy radio propaganda was anyway. Even in the cases of overtly propagandist broadcasts, such as those of the 'Axis Sallys' and the 'Tokio Roses' etc, then the overwhelming majority of allied personnel who listened to the programs realised that they were propaganda and received them more as sources of amusement and/or entertainment than anything else.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

P.G.Wodehouse Empty
PostSubject: Re: P.G.Wodehouse   P.G.Wodehouse Empty

Back to top Go down

P.G.Wodehouse

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: The history of people ... :: Individuals-