A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Commemoration songs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

Commemoration songs  Empty
PostSubject: Commemoration songs    Commemoration songs  EmptySun 01 Nov 2020, 21:29

Last edited by PaulRyckier on Tue 03 Nov 2020, 10:13; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Caro
Censura
Caro

PostSubject: Re: Commemoration songs    Commemoration songs  EmptyMon 02 Nov 2020, 06:06

The most famous song here by Eric Bogle and perhaps could be called a commemoration song was And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda about the damaged men coming home from the war. 

What about Vera Lynn's White Cliffs of Dover or the song that both sides claimed as commemorative: Lili Marlene. And I suppose La Marsaillaise fits the criterion.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Commemoration songs    Commemoration songs  EmptyMon 02 Nov 2020, 08:20

Paul, can you please explain what on earth this thread is about? I can sort of understand the relevance of songs that maybe represent a zeitgeist, refer to a particular historical context, and in which one artist's delivery is as much an integral feature of these qualities as the content.

So what the hell is one arbitrary tenor singing "Amazing Grace" doing in the list?

Caro: Same in Ireland re Bogle songs - Liam Clancy's rendition of that paricular song is considered the epitome.
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Commemoration songs    Commemoration songs  EmptyMon 02 Nov 2020, 11:05

nordmann wrote:
Paul, can you please explain what on earth this thread is about? I can sort of understand the relevance of songs that maybe represent a zeitgeist, refer to a particular historical context, and in which one artist's delivery is as much an integral feature of these qualities as the content.

So what the hell is one arbitrary tenor singing "Amazing Grace" doing in the list?

nordmann, you are right that my addition "voice and music underscore the words" to "commemoration songs" is irrelevant as it is true for every song and I will edit it out of the title. I had to think more before starting with such a title.

"Amazing Grace" by Andrea Bocelli in Milan, will be perhaps in the next years a "commemoration song" about the Covid 19 pandemic?

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Commemoration songs    Commemoration songs  EmptyMon 02 Nov 2020, 11:47

Your examples are even more silly now that you changed the theme of the thread to "commemoration songs".

I really think you should put more thought into choosing a subject for discussion on a history board than you often do, Paul, especially if your opening "post" is to be an apparently random and unconnected list of links with no attempt to explain why you picked them.

Why would "Amazing Grace" be seen as a future candidate as a song commemorating "Covid"? Why not the Goons' "Ying Tong Song"?

Really, Paul. Between this thread and your contribution to Dirk's equally baffling choice of subject for a history message board discussion, I don't think either of you were firing on all cylinders yesterday.

As my schoolteachers might have said in my annual report - "Needs to try harder"
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Commemoration songs    Commemoration songs  EmptyTue 03 Nov 2020, 09:50

Perhaps the thread could be expanded to include instrumental works and not just vocal songs.  Although it was written many years after the event Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture commemmorates Russia's successful defence against the onslaught of Napoleon's army.  However if nordmann thinks the thread would be best left resting in peace I will be guided by that opinion.

Last edited by LadyinRetirement on Tue 03 Nov 2020, 09:54; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Commemoration songs    Commemoration songs  EmptyTue 03 Nov 2020, 09:53

On another forum I looked at (not history) someone had linked a video of the Goons episode about 'The Lurgi'.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Commemoration songs    Commemoration songs  EmptyTue 03 Nov 2020, 10:32

Paul, you see what happens if you ask a silly question?
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Commemoration songs    Commemoration songs  EmptyTue 03 Nov 2020, 10:54

Well that's me told.  I'm guessing that's a let in rest in peace then nordmann.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Commemoration songs    Commemoration songs  EmptyTue 03 Nov 2020, 11:00

Not sure, LiR. Maybe your answer is exactly what Paul was looking for? Hard to know. Still waiting for the question, myself.

PS: My own favourite is the Red Door episode.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Commemoration songs    Commemoration songs  Empty

Back to top Go down

Commemoration songs

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1