A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Mods and Rockers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

Mods and Rockers Empty
PostSubject: Mods and Rockers   Mods and Rockers EmptyTue 03 Nov 2020, 16:15

Fall out from the Suez debacle was the time when youth took a long hard look at the elders. Rock had reached us but deplored by the elders, but in turn their values in assorted attitudes to the Suez crises had also turned youth to taking no notice of parents, politicians and pundits.  The youth of Britain - and it seems the world - were ready for the softer  critical confrontation and changing values and attitudes of the Mods in Beatle  etc. format. At least that is what happened in my circle. I also stayed with jazz (Of the Art Tatum, Monk school) my friends came into that much later  because they had got into flower power for a while. 

That the affects of change exploded on the streets ,sometimes violently,  with Rockers V Mods- especially in Brighton - is fascinating.... the Vespa scooters Mods V HD motor bikes Rockers.  Fallout from big events does not always follow expected paths and I think political undoing did actually bring about that sort of change because youth could no longer relate to the events of state with deference. Perhaps I am wrong but that is how I see it  on reflection. 

It was at this time of soft revolution then that Nov 11th observance was condemned by Oxbridge (Rag days had before been used to give funds to the Poppy Appeal). And the tendency to avoid Remembrance observation spread.....  but not in my family who deplored it - and who were amused by the later and more recent World War Wallow in Remembrance events with every one getting in on the act and parades.....  however I recall wreathe laying with just 12 people there inc 3 from our family.  

Temps was right in pointing out that the Suez Crises was a  watershed time of change. I had not seen this myself  - too busy living it, but in my own experience it is a truth. I knew people on the very first nuclear disarmament march etc.  but I was a only camera not a participant throughout those years of change and  when  Mods and Rockers caused quite a stir.
Back to top Go down
brenogler
Praetor
brenogler

Mods and Rockers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mods and Rockers   Mods and Rockers EmptyTue 05 Jan 2021, 15:31

Priscilla wrote:
Fall out from the Suez debacle was the time when youth took a long hard look at the elders. Rock had reached us but deplored by the elders, but in turn their values in assorted attitudes to the Suez crises had also turned youth to taking no notice of parents, politicians and pundits.  The youth of Britain - and it seems the world - were ready for the softer  critical confrontation and changing values and attitudes of the Mods in Beatle  etc. format. At least that is what happened in my circle. I also stayed with jazz (Of the Art Tatum, Monk school) my friends came into that much later  because they had got into flower power for a while. 

That the affects of change exploded on the streets ,sometimes violently,  with Rockers V Mods- especially in Brighton - is fascinating.... the Vespa scooters Mods V HD motor bikes Rockers.  Fallout from big events does not always follow expected paths and I think political undoing did actually bring about that sort of change because youth could no longer relate to the events of state with deference. Perhaps I am wrong but that is how I see it  on reflection. 

It was at this time of soft revolution then that Nov 11th observance was condemned by Oxbridge (Rag days had before been used to give funds to the Poppy Appeal). And the tendency to avoid Remembrance observation spread.....  but not in my family who deplored it - and who were amused by the later and more recent World War Wallow in Remembrance events with every one getting in on the act and parades.....  however I recall wreathe laying with just 12 people there inc 3 from our family.  

Temps was right in pointing out that the Suez Crises was a  watershed time of change. I had not seen this myself  - too busy living it, but in my own experience it is a truth. I knew people on the very first nuclear disarmament march etc.  but I was a only camera not a participant throughout those years of change and  when  Mods and Rockers caused quite a stir.

Perhaps you had to be in the right (or perhaps, wrong) place at the time.

Neither I nor my Mum can recall any bother in Newcastle when the Mods and Rockers were kicking off down south.

She also recalls the Teddy Boys, who had a reputation for violence, as being the best dressed and politest lads around.
Back to top Go down

Mods and Rockers

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: The history of people ... :: Customs, traditions, etiquette and ethics-