A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

"Little Hungarians" in Belgium 1923

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

"Little Hungarians" in Belgium 1923 Empty
PostSubject: "Little Hungarians" in Belgium 1923   "Little Hungarians" in Belgium 1923 EmptyTue 10 Nov 2020, 20:12

Sparked by my reply to brenogler I did some research about my mother's talks during 1956 when another 3000 Hungarian refugees were sheltered in Belgium. She spoke about many Hungarian refugees in Belgium during her childhood: (the Twenties)

I now see that it was more a reception of children and young people, thought to return when the Hungarian crisis of the Twenties was over.
I found something in English which seems to be a translation of a Dutch site...
http://heron-net.be/kadoc/exhibits/show/hungarians
From the site:
In the 1920s, in the framework of an international humanitarian project, more than 20,000 Hungarian children came to stay for a while with Belgian host families in order to regain their health. These ‘Little Hungarians’ were not alone; during the interbellum years children came to Belgium from other European countries also. After the Second World War this story was repeated, though on a more modest scale and in a changed context.
Between 1923 and 1927, more than forty trains filled with children left from Budapest’s Keleti railway station for Belgium. They brought 20,000 children all over Flanders, and to a lesser degree Wallonia. The children arrived with identity cards in their pockets and identity tags around their necks. These were used by foster parents to find ‘their’ child.
According to official guidelines the stay was to last only six months, but in practice many children remained longer. Such extensions required the permission of the Hungarian parents. Some children came back to Belgium multiple times. There were others who never returned to Hungary, for example, because their parents could no longer care for them. In 1927, Hungary ended the project, but so-called holiday trains continued to travel between both countries. In the 1930s, those who had remained in Belgium looked each other up, and, if possible, visited their homeland. While they retained their Hungarian identity, at least partially, their lives took shape in Belgium.
The Hungarian National Film Archive holds two newsreels about the return of children from Belgium at Budapest’s Keleti railway station (1926): newsreel 1 and newsreel 2.

For Dirk Marinus in Dutch:
https://vijfeeuwenmigratie.nl/term/De%20%E2%80%98Hongaartjes%E2%80%99.%20Belgisch-Hongaarse%20kinderacties/volledige-tekst

And about 1956...
https://foliotijdschriften.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/brood-rozen-pdf.pdf
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: "Little Hungarians" in Belgium 1923   "Little Hungarians" in Belgium 1923 EmptyWed 24 Mar 2021, 22:46

PaulRyckier wrote:
There were others who never returned to Hungary, for example, because their parents could no longer care for them. In 1927, Hungary ended the project, but so-called holiday trains continued to travel between both countries. In the 1930s, those who had remained in Belgium looked each other up, and, if possible, visited their homeland. While they retained their Hungarian identity, at least partially, their lives took shape in Belgium.

Paul - my Flemish is almost non-existent but I came across this article which seems to be about a cultural prize with a distinctly Hungarian-sounding name - Sändor Szondi-stichting reikt Vlaamse prijzen uit. The sentences I'm trying to translate are the following:

De gangmaker was de Nederlandstalige jurist van Hongaarse afkomst Sändor Szondi, die er het Vlaams verenigingsleven een hart onder de riem stak. Szondi, die in 1997 overleed, was de eerste secretaris-generaal van de Nederlandse Cultuurcommissie (NCC) waar de VGC uit is gegroeid.

Am I right in thinking that the first sentence says that Szondi was a Dutch lawyer of Hungarian descent? Or have I got that wrong and is it possible that he was maybe one of the 'Little Hungarians'?
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: "Little Hungarians" in Belgium 1923   "Little Hungarians" in Belgium 1923 EmptyThu 25 Mar 2021, 21:38

Vizzer wrote:
PaulRyckier wrote:
There were others who never returned to Hungary, for example, because their parents could no longer care for them. In 1927, Hungary ended the project, but so-called holiday trains continued to travel between both countries. In the 1930s, those who had remained in Belgium looked each other up, and, if possible, visited their homeland. While they retained their Hungarian identity, at least partially, their lives took shape in Belgium.

Paul - my Flemish is almost non-existent but I came across this article which seems to be about a cultural prize with a distinctly Hungarian-sounding name - Sändor Szondi-stichting reikt Vlaamse prijzen uit. The sentences I'm trying to translate are the following:

De gangmaker was de Nederlandstalige jurist van Hongaarse afkomst Sändor Szondi, die er het Vlaams verenigingsleven een hart onder de riem stak. Szondi, die in 1997 overleed, was de eerste secretaris-generaal van de Nederlandse Cultuurcommissie (NCC) waar de VGC uit is gegroeid.

Am I right in thinking that the first sentence says that Szondi was a Dutch lawyer of Hungarian descent? Or have I got that wrong and is it possible that he was maybe one of the 'Little Hungarians'?

Thanks Vizzer for your interest in the special case of Belgium concerning the "Vlaamse ontvoogdingstrijd" (Flemish emancipation struggle) two times compromized in WWI and in WWII by the collaborating of a part of the Flemish movement with the occupying Germans. It was in my humble opinion not that worse as Ireland in the UK, perhaps a little bit like the Scottish question although as an outsider it is perhaps difficult to have an insight in the particular question and especially to compar with little Belgium.

And yes, you are right that it is indeed nearly sure that it is one of the "little Hungarians" mentioned in my message:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandor_Szondi...
six years in 1926 and Hungarian and with forster parents here in Belgium...

Translation in my rather deficient English of the Dutch text:
"The pacemaker was the Dutch language jurist of Hungarian descent Sandor Szondi, who hearthened there the Flemish association? life. Szondi who died in 1997, was the secretary-general of the  Dutch cultural commission, from which the Flemish Community Commission is grown"

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Little Hungarians" in Belgium 1923   "Little Hungarians" in Belgium 1923 Empty

Back to top Go down

"Little Hungarians" in Belgium 1923

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: The history of people ... :: War and Conflict-