A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Life and deeds of Maximilian I and grandson Charles V

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

life - Life and deeds of Maximilian I and grandson Charles V Empty
PostSubject: Life and deeds of Maximilian I and grandson Charles V   life - Life and deeds of Maximilian I and grandson Charles V EmptyTue 19 Jan 2021, 15:15

I saw two German documentaries about Maximilian I and grandson Charles V.

The narration was supported by interviews with historians from Britain Germany even a Dutch female historian as I could hear on the background in Dutch in the German dubbed in French and with French subtitles documentary.
As I have acquired during the years quite some knowledge about the two, whose life was a great part here situated in the nowadays Belgium around Bruges, Ghent, Malines and Brussels.

What I found a bit disturbing was the interference of small parts of "life narration with actors and actresses" to make the narration a bit more vivid? I saw already once  an actor playing Churchill, another one Roosevelt and another one de Gaulle (perhaps a bit difficult to ressemble the tall de Gaulle). Perhaps a new trend for the youngsters (who am I to critique it)

That said there emerged some questions during watching the two episodes.
All by all it was up to my opinion good history writing and brought in an unbiassed narration.

Perhaps it is due to my own interests that I pick out the following questions:

as I see it a lot of people died in the falconry, having an accident with their horse as for instance Mary of Burgund...dangerous life one would say in those times...
and for instance the son of Maximilian: Philip the Handsome died from drinking ice cold water after a horse ride there in Spain I learned, but still a lot of conspiracy theories about poisoning and all that...

And something for MM as he is interested in food and all that. It seems that gout can be emerge from overconsumption of meat, especially not fully baken meat...
As Charles V had and it seems that his retreat to Spain and his abdication in Brussels had to do with that gout, as Spanish doctors have found by tests on a phalanx of him that he was possible not able to function physically correctly in his state functions.

Further about Maximilian...you don't believe what all exists on the "web"
Associazioni de Nobili del Sacri Romano Impero
http://www.holyromanempireassociation.com/holy-roman-emperor-maximilian-i.html
From the text:
Some of the Netherlander provinces were hostile to Maximilian, and they signed a treaty with Louis XI in 1482 that forced Maximilian to give up Franche-Comté and Artois to the French crown. They openly rebelled twice in the period 1482–1492, attempting to regain the autonomy they had enjoined under Mary. Flemish rebels managed to capture Philip and even Maximilian himself, but they were defeated when Frederick III intervened. Maximilian continued to govern Mary's remaining inheritance in the name of Philip the Handsome. After the regency ended, Maximilian and Charles VIII of France exchanged these two territories for Burgundy and Picardy in the Treaty of Senlis (1493). Thus a large part of the Netherlands (known as the Seventeen Provinces) stayed in the Habsburg patrimony.

I agree that there was rebellion from the Flemish estates, but in my opinion, the Flemish Estates would never have chosen for a French king as was revealed when they put Mary of Burgund in custody in Ghent, perhaps mostly to renew their city privileges, but also to avoid French interference and a choice of Maximilian I as husband. And yes perhaps also by the wise stepmother of Mary: the in my eyes intelligent and clever Margaret of York. She has in my eyes saved the Low Countries of French occupation...
As there is perhaps a hint in this report:
https://mittelalter.hypotheses.org/887
Back to top Go down

Life and deeds of Maximilian I and grandson Charles V

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1