A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

one-eighth of propertyless freemen

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ComicMonster
Consulatus
ComicMonster

one-eighth of propertyless freemen Empty
PostSubject: one-eighth of propertyless freemen   one-eighth of propertyless freemen EmptyTue 20 Apr 2021, 10:42

Hello!
I am sorry to ask, but I feel ridiculously puzzled by this "one-eighth".

Quote :
In 1676, the overwhelming proportion of the population of Virginia was in the Tidewater region. Of its economically active (tithable) European-American population, half were bond-laborers and another one-eighth were propertyless freemen.

So, I am no Einstein, but as far as I see "one-eighth" means 1/8, so 0,125 %. But who does calculate demographic proportions so accurately, more so if the data come from seventeenth-century Virginian records? On the other hand, it might be interpreted (perhaps) as the eighth part of a total, so, in percentage, the eighth part of a hundred, that is a 12,5 % —just can't understand… No Internet search has been able to help me here… study 

Thanks a lot to all of you for your help.

CM
Back to top Go down
https://vueltaalmundo.es.tl
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: one-eighth of propertyless freemen   one-eighth of propertyless freemen EmptyTue 20 Apr 2021, 10:48

I see no problem with the statistic, CM, and the tithes are a good source from which to obtain pretty accurate statistics too as they would have listed income sources. In this case the 1676 returns indicate 12.5% of those paying tithes as propertyless but working legitimately, as you calculated (second time - your first calculation is way off and confuses fractions expressed as rational numbers with percentages).

PS: The reason they calculated this so diligently would have been simply that those with property also paid tithes on their property too, so the guys doing the counting had a good reason to distinguish between the two.

Last edited by nordmann on Tue 20 Apr 2021, 10:52; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: one-eighth of propertyless freemen   one-eighth of propertyless freemen EmptyTue 20 Apr 2021, 10:51

I see no problem either: it's basically saying one in eight of the records were for propertyless freemen.
Back to top Go down
ComicMonster
Consulatus
ComicMonster

PostSubject: Re: one-eighth of propertyless freemen   one-eighth of propertyless freemen EmptyTue 20 Apr 2021, 11:01

You see no problem because you speak English… Shocked If you know what I mean… Numbers and maths must be registered in a particular area of the brain, not close to the linguistic one… Otherwise it won't be common to hear (some) people reading aloud things like that: "In the year mil novecientos ochenta y ocho [1988] the president of the Parliament…" I am just joking, but I believe there's a grain of truth there…

Thanks a zillion Meles meles and nordmann —at least zillion is a non-obligating number…

Take care…
Back to top Go down
https://vueltaalmundo.es.tl
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: one-eighth of propertyless freemen   one-eighth of propertyless freemen Empty

Back to top Go down

one-eighth of propertyless freemen

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: The history of people ... :: War and Conflict-