A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Where is Paul?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Caro
Censura
Caro

Where is Paul?  Empty
PostSubject: Where is Paul?    Where is Paul?  EmptySun 04 Jul 2021, 06:10

I don't quite notice but Tim wondered on Jiglu where Paul was since he was usually so active on this board. Did he say he was going to be away?
Back to top Go down
Dirk Marinus
Consulatus
Dirk Marinus

Where is Paul?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where is Paul?    Where is Paul?  EmptySun 04 Jul 2021, 07:22

Caro,

I triggered off a few messages to Paul but to date have not received any reply.
It is unusual for Paul as he was always quick in sending a reply.
The last time Paul came on this forum was late May ( 28th?)

Dirk Marinus
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

Where is Paul?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where is Paul?    Where is Paul?  EmptySun 04 Jul 2021, 07:55

Yes, I messaged Paul on 23 June but he still hasn't opened it (it's still in my out box) and he's usually very quick in responding. And where's Nordmann too? His last visit was 11 June. I hope it's just the case that they are on holiday or simply occupied with other things.
Back to top Go down
Dirk Marinus
Consulatus
Dirk Marinus

Where is Paul?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where is Paul?    Where is Paul?  EmptySun 04 Jul 2021, 09:15

To all,

SAD NEWS

Paul Ryckier passed away in Brugge on June 30th 2021 aged 78 years .

I was alerted by a friend regarding a message he came across.
The message was in the Durch language and he asked me to check as he does not speak or read the Dutch language.

I will try and translate the death announcement and place it on the Res,historica board.

Dirk Marinus
Back to top Go down
Dirk Marinus
Consulatus
Dirk Marinus

Where is Paul?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where is Paul?    Where is Paul?  EmptySun 04 Jul 2021, 09:37

In memoriam Paul Ryckier,

Below the link annoucing the death of Paul Ryckier:

https://www.inmemoriam.be/nl/2021-06-30/paul-ryckier?utm_source=nieuwsblad&utm_medium=ticker&utm_campaign=crosspromo&utm_term=8210

At the bottom of the message under the word (Rouwregister) you can mention your name if you like to do so

Voornaam  :your first name

Naam        : your surname

Under the word (Condoleren) you can either ; plaats een bloem =place a flower

or
                                                                  brand een kaarsje =  burn a candle

I myself burned a candle

Dirk Marinus
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

Where is Paul?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where is Paul?    Where is Paul?  EmptySun 04 Jul 2021, 10:17

Dirk and all fellow Res Historians,

I am so very sorry to learn this sad news.  I will see if I can access the site though I may give myself time to compose a message (though I may have to use google translate as I don't speak Flemish/Dutch).
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

Where is Paul?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where is Paul?    Where is Paul?  EmptySun 04 Jul 2021, 10:23

There's also an obituary on the site of the funeral director (Timmerman of Bruges), which includes this poignant little poem (my translation),

I knew one day would come
when I have to say goodbye to you.
But what I had forgotten
is that that day comes suddenly,
without the slightest suspicion,
without a word of goodbye.
You are a great loss to me
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

Where is Paul?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where is Paul?    Where is Paul?  EmptySun 04 Jul 2021, 10:43

Meles meles wrote:

I knew one day would come
when I have to say goodbye to you.
But what I had forgotten
is that that day comes suddenly,
without the slightest suspicion,
without a word of goodbye.
You are a great loss to me.

Thank you for letting us know of this sad news, Dirk. The poem above - translated for us by MM - says it all.

Your departure is a great loss to us all here at Res His, Paul. The old place won't be the same without your research and input. How I wish you could read this and post again - with as many links as you like...

With love and happy memories of all our discussions - from Temp.

It's an insane world, but in it there is one sanity: the loyalty of old friends.
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

Where is Paul?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where is Paul?    Where is Paul?  EmptySun 04 Jul 2021, 12:40

Temperance wrote:
Your departure is a great loss to us all here at Res His, Paul. The old place won't be the same without your research and input. How I wish you could read this and post again - with as many links as you like...

That’s so very true Temp and that’s not to mention new threads on identical topics on existing and ongoing discussions. How petty those annoyances seem now. I’ve also lost count of the number of single post threads Paul started where I’ve thought “Well, I’ll try and find time to come back and post on that one later”. Now, of course, ‘later’ will never come – or at least not as far as receiving a reply from Paul is concerned.

Although Paul had occasionally mentioned his health problems, one just imagined that he would soldier through and still be posting well into his nineties. Yet as the obituary poem kindly translated by Meles says – it is the suddenness and the finality of death which never ceases to shock us.

But what a lovely, friendly face on the photograph to match his warm and open personality as expressed on this forum and other messageboards. Paul Ryckier was a liberal internationalist of the best sort, passionately pro-Belgian and pro-European and yet also proud of his Flemish and Roman Catholic heritage. To that end I will seek out a church or chapel today and light a candle (as mentioned on the in-memoriam page linked to by Dirk) to, yes, a friend whom I never met in person.

Requiesce in pace Paul.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

Where is Paul?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where is Paul?    Where is Paul?  EmptySun 04 Jul 2021, 18:16

Terribly sad to hear about Paul. Thanks, Dirk, and thanks also for the link to the "in memoriam" page too. He'll be missed.
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

Where is Paul?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where is Paul?    Where is Paul?  EmptySun 04 Jul 2021, 22:56

Sad news. Paul was such a gentle man - and ever the gentleman. Being so focused on the tapestry of things that interested him, he never took umbrage when the  likes of me chided him for diversions and  those wiki refs.  Paul never had a huff nor could quite understand why others did. He was generous in praise and humble in what he saw as another's erudition. It is many years ago now that he welcomed me onto the BBC History Board, one of several where he posted. Yes, Paul will be missed To Paul then, the  one who always ended posts with those genuine Kind Regards.
Back to top Go down
Caro
Censura
Caro

Where is Paul?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where is Paul?    Where is Paul?  EmptyMon 05 Jul 2021, 02:55

Yes, I can feel the beginning of tears as I read all these tributes. A gentleman indeed.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

Where is Paul?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where is Paul?    Where is Paul?  EmptyMon 05 Jul 2021, 13:34

I've tried to post a musical tribute here once but something went wrong.  I couldn't find many Flemish songs but in the end decided to go with this one - sung by Flemish mercenaries at one time.   However if anyone can think of a song or piece of music that is more fitting for Paul's cordial and courteous character, please feel free to suggest it.
Back to top Go down
Caro
Censura
Caro

Where is Paul?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where is Paul?    Where is Paul?  EmptySat 10 Jul 2021, 03:16

Thank you for that, LIR. I belong to several boards and one of them has members reaching 90. Most of the posts are on something called Mornington Crescent which wasn't something I knew but is basically just word games. They are still holding on and posting quite a lot. Jiglu has younger ones (though not very young) and is quite an active board with mostly political and historical posts, although anything is welcome and some lovely photos mostly of English scenes are put there by Tim. The other board I visit is a books board and has only about 4 regulars just talking about the books they are reading. I look back on past posts and regret the loss of so many former members (not from death, just drifting away).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Where is Paul?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where is Paul?    Where is Paul?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Where is Paul?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1